PDA

View Full Version : iPod Owners

Link00seven
Jan 6, 2005, 09:53 PM
Hey,

I may be finally getting an iPod soon (selling my PS2 and GCN to get the money for it, an iPod is more important then either console of mine, and my sister has her own GCN http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif)

My question concerns the iTrip accessory. I'm interested in this because I ALWAYS listen to my music in the car, but it has a CD player (so I cant use the Casette Adaptor.) I heard about this and wondered if it was a good and reliable accessory for listening to your music via FM radio. My first car also will not have any form of tape/CD player. Just an AM/FM radio. It is a 77' mercuary after all.

Thanks.

Nai_Calus
Jan 6, 2005, 11:36 PM
Why the hell are you selling your consoles for a 400$ overrated gadget? There are better and cheaper MP3 players out there. XP

Dgo
Jan 7, 2005, 04:35 AM
On 2005-01-06 20:36, Ian-KunX wrote:
Why the hell are you selling your consoles for a 400$ overrated gadget? There are better and cheaper MP3 players out there. XP

It's not over rated its one of the the best on items market and was one of the highest sell products for Xmas 2004(if not the highest). Now as for trading in your systems to get it i would have done the same thing if i couldn't have gotten the money for one myself. I wish i could answer your question on the itrip for i really want 1 badly for myself,but i do know this you should be able to find one on ebay pretty cheap.

EphekZ
Jan 7, 2005, 05:12 AM
On 2005-01-07 01:35, Dgo wrote:

On 2005-01-06 20:36, Ian-KunX wrote:

It's not over rated its one of the the best on items market and was one of the highest sell products for Xmas 2004(if not the highest). Now as for trading in your systems to get it i would have done the same thing if i couldn't have gotten the money for one myself. I wish i could answer your question on the itrip for i really want 1 badly for myself,but i do know this you should be able to find one on ebay pretty cheap.

I have a few tings to say...

DGO- Just because a whole bunch of people(could be senile mothers that spoil their kids and buy whatever comes on tv more than once) bought the "almighty IPOD" doesnt mean its the best thing ever or that its better than an MP3.

Ian- I think you are correct about the mp3 player... and about the ps2 but he did a good choice in selling his GC i mean if his sis has one why not you could always use a couple extra bucks =P

link- Do you know for SURE you want an ipod have you googled it? looked it up or did a friend or commercial tell you about it and you thought to yourself- gee lets spend some money shall we? and about the Itrip You will most likely find what you want to know via googleing it, that google is a wonderful thing http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

Im sure I could go on with my opinions but i dont want to http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

Ketchup345
Jan 7, 2005, 06:21 AM
You can get a 20 Gig Dell DJ with an FM transmitter for $15 less than the price of a 20 Gig IPOD alone (the accessory adds $35 to the IPOD):
$249 20 Gig Dell DJ + $35 FM Transmitter (first party) = $284
$299 20 Gig IPOD + $35 FM Transmitter (Third Party) = $334

So unless you have 20 Gigs or more of songs that you listen to, or downloaded a lot of music from the ITunes store; have you checked out other "large storage" music players?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ketchup345 on 2005-01-07 14:42 ]</font>

Madzozs
Jan 7, 2005, 06:29 AM
Also, I was told that if you don't have a Mac, the iPod has to format taking some of the space away. My friend got a Photo iPod and it went from 40 - 37 Gigs after formatting. Not like thats a big deal with that much space.

Dgo
Jan 7, 2005, 05:02 PM
"Dark" i am not a kid(if thats what your implying) i bought that thing for my self wayyyyyy before Xmas came about. For i knew if i waited around the time of Xmas i would not have gotten one,and on another note yes i know the dell digital music play does the same thing but i feel its a matter of taste i love the way the ipod looks(which is way better then the dell device). So i say choose which ever is cost efficient for you link.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dgo on 2005-01-07 14:15 ]</font>

Eihwaz
Jan 7, 2005, 07:07 PM
When I was talking to him, he was telling me he mainly wanted an iPod for all the storage. His library has like 1,000+ songs, and quite a few gigs. x_x

Link00seven
Jan 7, 2005, 08:26 PM
A: The iPod is the best frickin MP3 player on the market IMO. I've used once, i've researched everything I could on one in the last couple YEARS. NOTHING else compares in terms of quality and storage space, especially since its made by one of the best companies ever, Apple.

B: I use the iTunes music store. Obviously the files I get wont work in anything BUT an iPod.

C: The iPod is 40GB man, and the way my music collection is growing (i'm already at 5GB, and it goes up quickly) I need that much storage. I want this thing to last me a VERY long time, and I know people with the first generation ones that STILL have no problem.

D: PS2 fucking sucks, ok? I never use it, I hate it, its a piece of shit product that I should've sold YEARS ago.

E: The GCN, my sister has one, and besides I never use that either...

F: I have a passion for music, I love music and its a big part of my life. I need a player that will get the job done in allowing me to store my collection and take it with me wherever I go, and I know the iPod will do just that.

There ya go, now does anyone know stuff about the iTrip or do you all just want to continue flaming me for my choice of getting an iPod?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Link00seven on 2005-01-07 17:28 ]</font>

Sayara
Jan 7, 2005, 08:27 PM
My old Music teacher has an Ipod. He has some sort of doohicky attached to the Ipod itself, and when near a am/fm radio on a specific channel (They'll tell you what that is.) The ipod takes the reception and plays that way. So if you got am/fm radio in the car it'll work.

I was there to witness the event.
And 300 or so bucks isnt that bad for such a neat little tool. Especially with that attachment.

But then again i am memsorized by Mp3 reading cd player.

Eihwaz
Jan 7, 2005, 08:30 PM
Yeah, I've tried those iTrip things before too. They work really well. Not at long range, but enough that you could hook it up, have the iPod in your car seat/somewhere, and then listen to your own 1337 radio station. =D

Rotis
Jan 10, 2005, 12:47 AM
(Wow, I just remembered that this forum exists. Hi PSOW)

I had an iPod until just recently, and I used an iTrip with it. I was generally pleased with its performance, but it wasn't perfect.

There was the occasional static, especially when around a lot of power lines; there were a few times where it stubbornly refused to turn on until I reset the iPod; there were a few times that there would be loud random bursts of static (though this happened on highways far from my normal radio range, and if it were on a different station this probably wouldn't have happened). However, these were exceptions, not frequent problems.

Also... on long trips, you'll have to reset the transmitting station every now and then. If this doesn't frequently come up, you'll probably be fine. (I've made the ~550 mile drive between Virginia and Vermont four times in the past four months, so it was a little more irritating for me.)

Cassette adapters are a bit more stable, but iTrips are certainly useful if you don't have a tape player.

Enjoy your iPod. They're fun little things. I just wish I hadn't somehow dropped mine onto asphalt. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif
I'm not a frequent dropper of expensive objects, but of course I end up dropping my iPod just after the warranty expires, bah.

Nai_Calus
Jan 10, 2005, 01:02 AM
The fuh? They break if you drop them? Jesus. I've dropped my GBA a dozen times on all kinds of things, it still works. I've had my GC fall 5 feet to a hardwood floor, it still works. I've abused a hard drive to the point where it should be completely fried, it happily installed and boots XP Pro. O_o;

Rotis
Jan 10, 2005, 01:13 AM
As far as I'm aware, most harddrive-based mp3 players can't take a serious fall (or other severe abuse), thanks to their wonderful moving internal parts.

It was the hard drive itself that was damaged on mine. It was paused when I dropped it. When I picked it up, it continued playing that album just fine, most likely due to its 20-odd-minute cache. But once I tried to move to a different album, it became apparent that it was indeed broken.

Flash-based mp3 players can sustain a lot more damage, but... well, my lifestyle isn't XTREME enough to warrant spending such a godawful amount on a little bit of storage.

Cc08
Jan 11, 2005, 08:49 PM
I have an iPod as well. It is excellent, never had any problems. Originally, I used a tape player in my car. It worked absolutely perfect, no static or anything. Then I fooled around with FM transmitters and didn't find any to be good expcept for the $110 transmitter/charger. The rest were very staticy etc.

rbf2000
Jan 11, 2005, 11:06 PM
I got my cousin an iTrip for christmas to compliment her ipod and it seems to work very well. Of course, an FM transmitter is the least deserireable (but most convient) method of getting your ipod to play on your stereo.

Some stereo's have an auxillary imput. A direct line in gives you the best sound. A tape adapter (which you don't have) ranks in second, and the fm transmitter is third.

If you live in a large city with many radio stations it can be annoying as they can and will interefere with the itrip.

I have heard there is a way to extend the range and strength of the signal on the itrip, so much so that if you knew what station a person in the car next to you was listening to, you could put the itrip to broadcast on that channel, and they would be listening to your ipod. Of course it couldn't do that out of the box, the fcc probably wouldn't like that too much...

There are other fm transmitters that will do the same thing for less money, but none of them have the style of the itrip. It's also really convienent that it mounts right on top of the ipod.

Definitely one of the best accesories for the ipod.

Link00seven
Jan 12, 2005, 10:36 PM
Thanks, thats the answer I was looking for http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

AUTO_
Jan 12, 2005, 11:00 PM
http://www.freeipods.com/Default.aspx?N=1&P=186[url]