PDA

View Full Version : Nice try Blockbuster

Dek
Jan 9, 2005, 09:51 PM
This rant goes to Blockbuster because I already know about their stupid-ass scheme...

As many should know by now, there is that stupid commercial for Blockbuster where they say they don't have anymore late fees. Little does the CEO probably know that I already tried this theory.

So what did I do? I rented a game just for the hell of it (Sonic Heroes just because the one near me has a lousy excuse for a Gamecube selection). On purpose, I decided not to turn it in on the day/time it was due. The next day, I brought it back, and guess what they did... They charged me full rental price! HA! Caught ya red-handed BB!

So guess what Blockbuster...
1. Nice try
2. Fuck you

anwserman
Jan 9, 2005, 10:02 PM
Hmmm.
Did you ever think that your Blockbuster Video place may be one of the few non-participating stores that isn't a part of the no late fee plan? Ya know, I just checked at the Blockbuster website about the terms, and it only applies to participating stores.

Just a thought.

Dek
Jan 9, 2005, 10:11 PM
Well if they weren't, wouldn't they have just charged a buck or two for the game rather than forcing the person to pay full price again?

And I asked them, and they said that they were participating...

I understand where you are going with this. It was a little for me to believe as well.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Arthas_Zero on 2005-01-09 19:12 ]</font>

ABDUR101
Jan 9, 2005, 10:26 PM
Well appearently you got fucked, or aren't smart enough to have retorted with "Well if you're participating with the no late fee deal, then why am I being charged?" and that could have gone into a large debate over the specifics of the no late fee plan they have, that they weren't specific enough and that you should'nt be held responsible because they were vague in their conditions.

Wheee! heh

Skorpius
Jan 9, 2005, 10:49 PM
Just keep it for the rest of the second rental time?

Zarode
Jan 10, 2005, 12:08 AM
Not to be mean...(ah, to hell with it, to be mean)but, are you gonna make more topics like these? This one made me laugh, hard. I was tearing up a little...

Rotis
Jan 10, 2005, 01:29 AM
The thing where they charge the full rental price as a late fee, even if you bring it back half a day late, has been going on for a while.

Terribly odd that they still charged you, though. Given all the fuss over not charging. Maybe it's an elaborate scam.

I worked at a Blockbuster once, for a few months. Man, that .. wasn't much fun.

Dek
Jan 10, 2005, 11:41 AM
Not to be mean...(ah, to hell with it, to be mean)but, are you gonna make more topics like these? This one made me laugh, hard. I was tearing up a little...

I made someone laugh?

That's amazing. When it comes to all of my good stuff, no one laughs for shit.

InfernoNR7
Jan 10, 2005, 04:38 PM
Did you know that some of the movies they have COST NINETY DOLLARS! That's fricken HIGHWAY ROBBERY! They are liars! *grabs pitchfork* Shall we?

Dek
Jan 10, 2005, 05:04 PM
Did you know that some of the movies they have COST NINETY DOLLARS! That's fricken HIGHWAY ROBBERY! They are liars! *grabs pitchfork* Shall we?

Well, some of those things were probably collections of movies or TV series. But now that you do mention it, I do remember them charging extra a few years ago if you didnt have a Blockbuster membership card.

Either way, I guess I should shut up about this issue since all I did was cause chaos.

InfernoNR7
Jan 11, 2005, 01:51 PM
I'm pretty sure that some of the were the Hot New Release (or whatever) single/double-disc (referring to DVD) movies.

polishedweasel
Jan 11, 2005, 01:55 PM
Let me fill you in on this really quick.

The corporate blockbuster stores are the only ones participating.

The franchise are not, which makes up.....at least 75% of the total number of blockbusters in the USA. Have fun with that. =D

Scejntjynahl
Jan 11, 2005, 02:13 PM
ButtBuster is highly overated anyways. Err, I mean "blockbuster" >.>

But really, that place has the lousiest selection I have ever witnessed. And the service leaves much to be desired. And this new campaign of theirs makes me laugh, shees, next thing they will do is say they are handing out free pizza with each rental... of course the "first" rental will probably have to be over 20 dollars >.>

ABDUR101
Jan 11, 2005, 02:21 PM
Blockbuster is easily the best place locally to rent stuff. The other places are local places that just suck ass, and don't even have half the selection of BB, but then it's a corporate BB.

But then I rather enjoy just browsing all the older movies that they have on hand and picking up old stuff I haven't seen in a while, and occasionally get a new release here and there =o

Tomeeboy
Jan 11, 2005, 03:13 PM
It's not considered a late fee anymore. If you forget to return your game on time, they basically just extend your rental period for another 5 days (or whatever it was when you originally rented it) and charge you just the rental fee for those days. There's no way they would just get rid of any type of fee associated with not bringing something back on time, or else everyone would just keep everything and not give it back http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

In the past, if you rented a game that cost $3.99 per rental period and kept it past the due date, they would charge you $3.99 per day until you brought it back. Now THAT is a late fee. I remember going to BlockBuster and finding out I had racked up about $50 worth of fees from forgetting to return Mortal Kombat. I ended up just keeping the game (if I'm gonna pay $50, I'm keeping the damn thing!), and didn't return to BlockBuster for quite some time because that policy flat out sucked. This old policy, that they have since abandoned, is the reason for this big "No more late fee" campaign, because a lot of people hated it... with good reason, because it was abosulutely crooked.

Moral of the story... if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. A business that makes money by renting merchandise to customers is not going to let people keep stuff for as long as they want for free http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif It's not technically a "late fee" anymore, but you're still going to pay for keeping that game an extra day. The only exceptions are with the monthly rental plans (gamers pass, movie pass), and you're still paying a monthly fee with those.

-Tomeeboy

SpikeOtacon
Jan 11, 2005, 03:40 PM
And this is why I don't 'Rent' games. That, and All the games i've rented have been treated like shit and are pretty much abysmal by the time I try and play them.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: SpikeOtacon on 2005-01-11 12:40 ]</font>

InfernoNR7
Jan 11, 2005, 06:54 PM
http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif Amen, quality control please BBuster!

Or they never have the new released at mine... Except with Halo 2, they bought like 30 copies... what a waste..

Yea, my dad was pretty peeved when he had that extra cash put on his credit card bill for keeping the thing one day late.

However, to get around all this, just turn in your games on time http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif.