PDA

View Full Version : Audio Card problems

Eanae
Jan 17, 2005, 03:01 PM
So I just reformatted my Hard Drive, and reinstalled windows, got my ISP to unblock me (don't ask), and started getting my programs back. Only problem; my computer isn't recognizing my audio card, and I don't feel like buying a new audio card. It says the drivers are installed under my drivers disk, and when I try to reinstall, I get an ikernel error. Any idea how I could get it working again?

BrokenHope
Jan 18, 2005, 06:17 AM
Is it showing up in device manager as installed? or just as unknown device? Is it onboard or a seperate pci card?

Which chipset is the audio card?

Also list your version of windows and any service packs that are applied.

Eanae
Jan 18, 2005, 11:47 AM
It's showing it as an Unknown Audio device. I'm running windows XP with every update upto service pack 2 which I haven't gotten around to installing yet. The audio card is also built into the mother board. (The one that comes with the PC)

BrokenHope
Jan 18, 2005, 01:34 PM
On 2005-01-18 08:47, Eanae wrote:
It's showing it as an Unknown Audio device. I'm running windows XP with every update upto service pack 2 which I haven't gotten around to installing yet. The audio card is also built into the mother board. (The one that comes with the PC)

Which motherboard do you have? would help in knowing what onboard audio you have.

Rainbowlemon
Jan 18, 2005, 03:33 PM
Find out your motherboard manufacturer, and download their latest update. Hopefully should only be a ten minute job, but then again, things always manage to complicate themselves...

VioletSkye
Jan 18, 2005, 03:54 PM
there is no need to update drivers for the mobo considering that it ran the onboard audio before (also considering that the default bios flash is already geared for that audio.) When I have more time I can help you get it installed.

The reason I don't recommend updating the bios is that it can cause alot of problems if you goof it and if he is only reformatting his ahrddrive, there isn't any reason to do an update.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: VioletSkye on 2005-01-18 13:08 ]</font>

BrokenHope
Jan 18, 2005, 08:36 PM
On 2005-01-18 12:54, VioletSkye wrote:
there is no need to update drivers for the mobo considering that it ran the onboard audio before (also considering that the default bios flash is already geared for that audio.) When I have more time I can help you get it installed.

The reason I don't recommend updating the bios is that it can cause alot of problems if you goof it and if he is only reformatting his ahrddrive, there isn't any reason to do an update.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: VioletSkye on 2005-01-18 13:08 ]</font>

Who mentioned a bios flash? I was simply asking what mobo, so I could know what codec is onboard, so that I could find the driver site. It's probably going to be a realtek codec though, since that seems the most common.

VioletSkye
Jan 18, 2005, 11:41 PM
On 2005-01-18 17:36, Broken Hope wrote:

Who mentioned a bios flash? I was simply asking what mobo, so I could know what codec is onboard, so that I could find the driver site. It's probably going to be a realtek codec though, since that seems the most common.

if you look up 3 posts you will see this post:

Find out your motherboard manufacturer, and download their latest update. Hopefully should only be a ten minute job, but then again, things always manage to complicate themselves...

An update to the mobo is a bios flash, ergo, I advised against it.

The best way to get the info we need is to run a DXDIAG and post the info here. That will tell us the manufacturer and model model of the machine. From there, getting the type of integrated sound card will be cake.

Do you have a disk with the audio drivers on it? If so uninstall the audio device drivers and remove it from the Device manager, then reboot and when the Hardware wizard comes up, have it search the drivers from the disk.

If the problem persists, it may be an issue with some corrupted or missing files.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;810608

SYMPTOMS
When you try to install a program that uses InstallShield, you may receive the following error message:

The install Shield engine "ikernel.exe" could not be launched -Error loading type library /dll
CAUSE
This issue may occur if one or more of the following files are missing from the WindowsSystem32 folder:
Stdole32.tlb
Stdole2.tlb
Stdole.tlb
RESOLUTION
To resolve this issue, expand the appropriate file from the Windows XP CD:
Click Start, click Run, and then type CMD. Click OK.
To change to the root folder of drive C, type cd, and then press ENTER.
Insert the Windows XP CD, type Expand cd_drive_letter:i386filename.tl_ drive:Windowssystem32filename.tlb, and then press ENTER, where filename is the name of the file that you want to expand and drive is the letter of the drive where Windows is installed.

For help with the Expand command, type EXPAND /? at a command prompt.

Also see this LINK (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=814995) for more info on a hotfix offered by M$.

A friend also suggested that you try installing the drivers with your AntiVirus program disabled. Worth a shot if nothing else works.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: VioletSkye on 2005-01-18 21:03 ]</font>

BrokenHope
Jan 19, 2005, 05:53 AM
On 2005-01-18 20:41, VioletSkye wrote:

On 2005-01-18 17:36, Broken Hope wrote:

if you look up 3 posts you will see this post:

An update to the mobo is a bios flash, ergo, I advised against it.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: VioletSkye on 2005-01-18 21:03 ]</font>

Most motherboard manufacturers do actually provide drivers too, which is probably what he was refering to.

Eanae
Jan 19, 2005, 04:35 PM
I already tried that violet. No luck with their fix.