PDA

View Full Version : The Phantom of the Opera Movie

Getintothegame
Jan 20, 2005, 10:15 PM
I just saw this movie, and I must say, it was a great movie. It was even better than I thought it'd be, and it made the musical even better.

I could finally understand the story, I used to have a hard time with how the story was, and now I completely understand... well, most of it. There are some points in the movie where you'll be confused.

The soundtrack is excellent as well.

Anyone seen/going to see this movie?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Getintothegame on 2005-01-20 19:19 ]</font>

TheOneHero
Jan 20, 2005, 10:22 PM
I really want to see it. I've heard it's awesome. >D

Nai_Calus
Jan 20, 2005, 10:34 PM
I saw it Christmas day. There were some good things, and some bad things.

Phantom: No. No, no, no, no, and OH GOD FUCK HELL NOOOOOOOOOOO. Too pretty, and his singing made me want to cry. I mean, nobody is Michael Crawford except Michael Crawford, but JESUS.

Christine: Good overall. There were some moments where the scooping she kept doing made me want to hurt her badly, but the end of the title song was awesome.

Framing shots: Y'know, old Raoul. Thumbs up, especially the ending... Beautiful.

Opening sequence: Oh HELL FUCKING YES. EXACTLY how it should be. Beautiful. Damn near brought tears to my eyes.

Carlotta: Ugh, what the FUCK? Why hire Minnie Driver when she can't even sing the part? Why not get yet another Hollywood unknown who can sing? Oh, and they went TOO comic-relief with her. Carlotta has more dignity than that, goddamn it, even if she IS a bitch. XP

Masquerade: What... The... Hell. Hi, we're singing about all the colours that we AREN'T WEARING. Who the hell's idea was that?

Raoul: He looks good, he sings good, good casting decision.

Overall, it wasn't bad. What was good was excellent, but what was bad sucked fucking ass. 3 of 5 stars.

Getintothegame
Jan 21, 2005, 01:17 AM
!!! SPOILERS !!!

On 2005-01-20 19:34, Ian-KunX wrote:
Phantom: No. No, no, no, no, and OH GOD FUCK HELL NOOOOOOOOOOO. Too pretty, and his singing made me want to cry. I mean, nobody is Michael Crawford except Michael Crawford, but JESUS.

Hence, that's why when his wig and mask came off, that all dissappeared.

Christine: Good overall. There were some moments where the scooping she kept doing made me want to hurt her badly, but the end of the title song was awesome.
What annoyed me about her is how she switched her eyes so often, it was really noticable... it got annoying. But, you got to say, 'Christine' and 'Raoul' had great chemistry on stage.

Opening sequence: Oh HELL FUCKING YES. EXACTLY how it should be. Beautiful. Damn near brought tears to my eyes.
I loved that so much, too, especially the hidden symbols, like lot 666. When they unveiled that chandelier, I seriouly had a huge chill down my spine. Was a great opening indeed.

Carlotta: Ugh, what the FUCK? Why hire Minnie Driver when she can't even sing the part? Why not get yet another Hollywood unknown who can sing? Oh, and they went TOO comic-relief with her. Carlotta has more dignity than that, goddamn it, even if she IS a bitch. XP

Masquerade: What... The... Hell. Hi, we're singing about all the colours that we AREN'T WEARING. Who the hell's idea was that?
Maquerade! Paper faces on parade
Masquerade! Hide your face so the world will never find you
Masquerade! Every face a different shade
Masquerade! Look around, there's another mask behind you.

Flash of mauve
Splash of puce
Fool and king
Ghoul and goose
Green and black
Queen and priest
Trace of rouge
Face of beast
Faces!
Take your turn, take a ride
On the merry-go-round
in an inhuman race
Eye of gold
Thigh of blue
True is false
Who is who?
Curl of lip
Swirl of gown
Ace of hearts
Face of clown
Faces! Drink it in, drink it up
Till you've drowned
In the light
In the sound
But who can name the face?

Masquerade! Grinning yellows, spinning reds
Masquerade! Take your fill, let the spectacle astound you
Masquerade! Burning glances, turning heads
Masquerade! Stop and stare at the sea of smiles around you
Masquerade! Seething shadows breathing lies
Masquerade! You can fool any friend who ever knew you
Masquerade! Leering satyrs, peering eyes
Masquerade! Run and hide, but a face will still pursue you.

Couldn't agree more. Looked like all of them were black and white or red

Outrider
Jan 21, 2005, 01:54 AM
Well, never cared for musicals and never saw the actual production, but let me put it this way:

The story itself is bleh, and the CG was crap. Like some of the songs, other were just so trite and pointless that I wanna strangle somebody. Actually surprised at how good the main actors were, and overall it was good in a certain Final Fantasy VII-ish way.

I mean, there was so much to it that was uneccesary, but I guess I should take that up with Andrew Lloyd Weber, eh?

BOC
Jan 21, 2005, 01:10 PM
a friend lead me to see it under the belief that it was just another non-musical film.

she only told me right after we bought the tickets http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_cry.gif

sweet mother of jesus! yes the opening bit had some pretty cool cg, there where some pretty funny bits, but OH MY GOD did they have to SING EVERTHING?!?

"ooooo christine, i must gooooo fooorrrr a pisssss... go for a pisss. go for a pisss...."

"ooooo raoul, my love, my sweet, don't forget to close you zip.. close your zip. close your zip"

ARGH!! i hate to admit it, but for the first half hour i enjoyed it, and i hate muscials! but then they really ripped the shit out of it, so many repeated tunes, lines and GAH!!!

i think if they had just made it a normal movie, no singing apart from the actual opera scenes, and maybe got good old tim burton on the case it would have been a good movie.

only thing i've seen recently that was worse was was alexander. in which i had to wake a friend up, because he had fallen into a deep sleep and was snoring and disturbing the couple sittin infront of us.

but then again, i'm not fond of musicals. thats a lie. i hate them. so my opinion counts for naught really. apart from to the other anti-musicalars out there. though christine and jennifer ellison looked hot. very hot.

PEACE!!!

Eihwaz
Jan 22, 2005, 01:25 AM
This movie looks pretty cool, so I want to go see it.