PDA

View Full Version : Box drop rates

DezoPenguin
Jan 24, 2005, 10:13 AM
I'm currently stalking the elusive Red Barrier so my FOnewearl can hook up with a Rafoie Merge and thereby ditch her Fire Scepter: Agni in favor of her Summit Moon while doing Mines runs, which are currently her favorite hangout (Toasty!).

Now, I'm bright enough to use this site's guides to find locations where one *might* show up, and I'm also actually capable of using the box count guides, or even *gasp* having vague knowledge of my own where more boxes can be found.

What I don't know is what the chance of such a barrier popping in any given box might be. Given that, I can easily figure out where my time is best spent, but I lack this key data! Does anyone remember from Housoka or otherwise?

Tycho
Jan 24, 2005, 10:21 AM
Just to tell you: Rafoie merge and Summit Moon aren't a great combination, they amplify different techniques.
Anyway, I discussed this with Kef once. I never managed to find Box Drop Rates on Housoka, and when he asked me to check for them, it seemed Google had cleaned their cache.
In sub-ult difficulties the odds aren't that reliable if I remember correctly. If you're online, I really recommend you buy one in the 'Gallon's Shop' quest for a Photon Drop.

Blue-Hawk
Jan 24, 2005, 10:26 AM
He might use the Summit Moon for the far superior MST boost that. im my experience, covers for the Fire Scepter's boost.

Oh, and you MIGHT be better off trying to get an Amplifier of Red as well. The Red Merge is better. You never know when you might need a basic Foie or Gifoie.

Also, if you are online, just get one for a couple of Photon Drops off of Gallon's Shop.

Sitka
Jan 24, 2005, 11:53 AM
I hope I'm not showing extreme ignorance here, but I've been told that the barriers you find are better statistically than those that you can buy in the shop. I know, for example, that my Rafoie Merge (Fonewm)and my Foie Merge (Fonewearl) are both lettered green and they were barriers found combined with amplifiers found.

On the other hand, my Gifoe Merge and my Red Merge are both lettered white and were made combining amplifiers with purchased barriers.

I do not have comparable merges side-by-side to compare. Is this true?

It is somewhat humerous how in online games, high level characters ignore the boxes to race towards the next area (particularly in East and West Tower runs), while I often lag behind to check each and every box and drop. Then while they complain they cannot find barriers, amplifiers and high level techniques, I continue to replenish my bank vault with these items which allows me to outfit all my forces with decent stuff.

As Ian said in his "good force" guide, loot, loot!

Also, I've found I prefer using Psycho Wand/Rafoie Merge/Rafoie with the Fonewm, but I much prefer using Summit Moon/Foie Merge/Foie with the Fonewearl. Given the devastating damage she can do with Foie, it seems to clear a room about as fast as spamming constant Rafoie blasts - then there is the damage cancel factor that Ian pointed out.

Just my thoughts, anyway.

May all your box drops be red.

DezoPenguin
Jan 24, 2005, 12:00 PM
Just to clarify:

I'm not online, which is annoying. I'd really prefer to cash in my PDs. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

With regard to the Summit/R-Merge combo, I'm looking at it like this:

Agni+Secret Gear: 20% to Foie, Gifoie, and Rafoie

Summit+Rafoie Merge: 30% to Foie, Zonde, Barta and Rafoie. (plus the extra few points of damage inflicted by the extra 30 MST).

Since in the Mines the only things I ever cast are Rafoie (against almost anything), Foie (solo targets), Zonde (Baranzes), Barta (solo S-Reds and Canunes) and Rabarta (if the S-Red is coming at me in a pack and I don't have the time to aim), I figure I'm upgrading four techs that I use for these runs at the cost of Gifoie (which I really only use as kind of a strategic shot and trap eraser 'cause it covers so much ground) and some defense. ^_^ Different areas of course get different equipment combos.

(Irony department...came up with a Yellow Barrier yesterday while hunting that Red Barrier. Go fig.)

Tsudo_Plat
Jan 24, 2005, 01:29 PM
If you are looking for a Red Barrier, some section IDs can get it from CLAWS in Normal Ruins. Thats where my friend always got his.

In my experience I seem to find AMPS and BARRIERS the most often in Temple & Mines. I don't know if that has any actually backing, but thats what it seems like for me.

Ketchup345
Jan 24, 2005, 02:25 PM
On 2005-01-24 08:53, Sitka wrote:
I hope I'm not showing extreme ignorance here, but I've been told that the barriers you find are better statistically than those that you can buy in the shop. I know, for example, that my Rafoie Merge (Fonewm)and my Foie Merge (Fonewearl) are both lettered green and they were barriers found combined with amplifiers found.

On the other hand, my Gifoe Merge and my Red Merge are both lettered white and were made combining amplifiers with purchased barriers.

I do not have comparable merges side-by-side to compare. Is this true?

As Ian said in his "good force" guide, loot, loot!

Just my thoughts, anyway.

May all your box drops be red.

Once Merged, the stats change and are random. As far as I know, there is no difference between a found and bought colored Barrier once Merged.

DezoPenguin
Jan 24, 2005, 03:48 PM
Thanks for the responses...looks like it's just going to be a lot of intimate moments spent with the Hard Mines looking for that fragger.

Tsudo_Plat
Jan 24, 2005, 04:49 PM
On 2005-01-24 12:48, DezoPenguin wrote:
Thanks for the responses...looks like it's just going to be a lot of intimate moments spent with the Hard Mines looking for that fragger.

What section ID are you?

Skyly, Bluefull, Pinkal, Redria, Yellowboze & Whitill get Red Barrier from Claws in Normal. Its pretty easy to get since u will OWN CLAWS in one tech. Shouldn't take too long.

Hrith
Jan 25, 2005, 08:25 AM
On 2005-01-24 13:49, Tsudo_Plat wrote:
What section ID are you?

Skyly, Bluefull, Pinkal, Redria, Yellowboze & Whitill get Red Barrier from Claws in Normal. Its pretty easy to get since u will OWN CLAWS in one tech. Shouldn't take too long.
Man, the drop rate for that in Normal is 1/6502 -_-;

I suggest Very Hard if you can find it there.

The drop rate is 1/788 for Amplifiers and Barriers from boxes in Viridia, Greennill, Skyly, Bluefull, Purplenum, Pinkal, Redria, Oran, Whitill; and 1/1261 in Yellowboze.

I might be off by 50 at most, I cannot check atm =/

DezoPenguin
Jan 25, 2005, 04:00 PM
On 2005-01-25 05:25, Kef wrote:
I suggest Very Hard if you can find it there.

The drop rate is 1/788 for Amplifiers and Barriers from boxes in Viridia, Greennill, Skyly, Bluefull, Purplenum, Pinkal, Redria, Oran, Whitill; and 1/1261 in Yellowboze.

I might be off by 50 at most, I cannot check atm =/

Hm...She could find it herself in Jungle North (only problem is, not exactly a zillion boxes there per run), or farm it out to Ciri or Misty for Caves 3 in Skyly or Whitill...maybe Ciri will have to take a few Black Paper runs in her near future...

Tsudo_Plat
Jan 25, 2005, 09:56 PM
Yeah, but those can have ANY AMP or BARRIER. Although my idea is a harder drop, you are guaranteed to get the barrier you are looking for.

Thanks for that info Kef, I didn't know that.

Tycho
Jan 26, 2005, 01:20 AM
Even if a Merge is green instead of white.. the only difference is.. +2 DFP? -_-;