PDA

View Full Version : Fading with honor.

Mystil
Jan 25, 2005, 12:54 PM
I will make this brief.

I started my PSO journey on Feb 14th, 2001. The first person I met was Aeris, who later became so close to me, I then learned her real name of Surami. My character was a hune, with the same name as my username.

I remember people like Jamming who gave me my first uber mag. Churel. Since then I always tried to find the cell to make that mag. My hune has it now on PSO GC. I'll always remember the purest legit player; Alexander.

Some of my most important memories started on PSO DC.

With PSO GC fading, with less people playing, it SHOULD sadden me alittle. But it doesnt. I wasn't around for when the DC servers were shut down. But I will when the GC servers are. I feel it is the way I want to close this chapter best.

Ritz_UK
Jan 25, 2005, 01:06 PM
Going online and meeting new friends from all over the world is awesome - i remember logging on with my Dreamcast and playing with all kinds of people and it being almost awe inspiring.

When the servers close, it'll be a sad day, but you can always get three friends over and enjoy playing PSO multiplayer - just over a shorter distance http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Dhylec
Jan 25, 2005, 01:10 PM
things come & go..
some go out with a bang, others quitely..
if you still have some zeal for this game, revive, relive the fun on ep4.. for a while? =]

RivaOni
Jan 25, 2005, 03:18 PM
PSO was everything, now it may be dying, but it has made an impact on so many people who will NEVER forget it, my fiance loves everything to do with it, even though she ahs never played it online (as i cant afford to get my cube online http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif )

shinobu_seta
Jan 25, 2005, 03:28 PM
Will it ever really end though? PSO just seems to keep changing platforms. I've been on since DC, and I love it so much that I'll probably keep following it no matter where it goes.

Now that they're moving to PC though, a format that can always be updated and maintained, maybe PSO will finally find a permanent home for itself ^_^

When GC goes down, I'm jumping ship to the next platform.

Tomeeboy
Jan 25, 2005, 04:02 PM
I think PSOBB, assuming they follow through with an English language release, will revive PSO quite a bit... especially if the game is somewhat maintained. I know that the cheating and other problems in the previous versions have steered many people away from PSO, but this will hopefully come to an end now.

The main problem is that people will need to be switching from gaming consoles to PCs. I know that I prefer console gaming for it's ease and comfort (don't like to be hunched over a computer playing a game after being on a computer all day at work!), but I think the benefits of PSO on a PC outweigh the disadvantages. It will be nice to enjoy PSO again like the early days of it's DC release http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

PrinceBrightstar
Jan 25, 2005, 04:12 PM
PSOGC will still be maintained for some time to come. I've already been given word on a quest from my insider that will be coming out in march or april.

Also, any episode 1 or 2 quests on Blue Burst will certainly come out on GC. And Sega won't release any episode 4 quests for some time to come (at least 3 or 4 months) because players first need to get through it.

BrokenHope
Jan 25, 2005, 04:51 PM
If it does come out in english, I'll no doubt get it for pc, because I'm not so sure the GC version of pso will be up all that much longer.

Though, I do kinda wish I had more people to play with on EP 1 and 2, lately I've just kinda ended up alone most of the time, kinda takes the fun out of things.

Vielka
Jan 25, 2005, 06:12 PM
On 2005-01-25 12:28, shinobu_seta wrote:
Will it ever really end though? PSO just seems to keep changing platforms. I've been on since DC, and I love it so much that I'll probably keep following it no matter where it goes.

Now that they're moving to PC though, a format that can always be updated and maintained, maybe PSO will finally find a permanent home for itself ^_^

When GC goes down, I'm jumping ship to the next platform.

i couldnt agree anymore. Once the GC era ends, ill be all over the next platform. Ive already heard talk of several people preparing for that PC change http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif Long Live Damian and Vielka http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Travis IV
Jan 25, 2005, 06:13 PM
i remember those wonderful days of PSO DC...before it got destroyed, my first character "sniper -7" racast, i got my friend to start playin it and we both got it online and we played every night for 2hours (cuz we were younger and we had time limits on weekdays cuz of school. we joined a clan called "illumanati" it had a pretty big name around pso and we ended up making a sub clan off of it called "black talons"it had ranks and everything,my best friend over pso that i never met...SSJ Gohan,humar, stuck with it till the end just like me. sometimes i still find myself going into the DC lobbies in ep 1 and 2 just to reflect on how great pso has been for me over the years ...thx for a great time sonic team..even if you did a crappy job maintaining the hacking. ill still be on GC till the end. my character "travis -8" and ill cya when PSU comes out!!!!! (meaning i prolly wont want BB)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: prowler on 2005-01-25 15:14 ]</font>

shinobu_seta
Jan 25, 2005, 07:15 PM
On 2005-01-25 15:13, prowler wrote:
i remember those wonderful days of PSO DC...before it got destroyed, my first character "sniper -7" racast, i got my friend to start playin it and we both got it online and we played every night for 2hours (cuz we were younger and we had time limits on weekdays cuz of school. we joined a clan called "illumanati" it had a pretty big name around pso and we ended up making a sub clan off of it called "black talons"it had ranks and everything,my best friend over pso that i never met...SSJ Gohan,humar, stuck with it till the end just like me. sometimes i still find myself going into the DC lobbies in ep 1 and 2 just to reflect on how great pso has been for me over the years ...thx for a great time sonic team..even if you did a crappy job maintaining the hacking. ill still be on GC till the end. my character "travis -8" and ill cya when PSU comes out!!!!! (meaning i prolly wont want BB)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: prowler on 2005-01-25 15:14 ]</font>

I think I find myself doing the same thing as well. I'll go into the DC lobbies and just sit, and almost imagine them being filled with people. *sigh* Remember when you very very first got on DC, how huge the lobbies felt? Now they seem really tiny...but there were so many people *sigh*

But why are we talking like this anyway? I'll bet the GC still has another good year or two left in it before they pull the plug.

kazuma56
Jan 25, 2005, 08:28 PM
I have yet to experience Online life in PSO, but I will soon, whether it is on GC or PC is uncertain at the moment, but everyone will soon know the greatness that is Kazuma http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif.

shinobu_seta
Jan 25, 2005, 09:44 PM
On 2005-01-25 17:28, kazuma56 wrote:
I have yet to experience Online life in PSO, but I will soon, whether it is on GC or PC is uncertain at the moment, but everyone will soon know the greatness that is Kazuma http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif.

Awesome, then you'll be able to experience the very things we're talking about ^_^ Don't get discouraged at the GC now though, I think it's just in a minor slump. There'll be people to play with. Lemme know when you get on and I'll play a game.

ForceOfBrokenGlass
Jan 25, 2005, 10:21 PM
PSO had much less of an impact on me. Playing online was enough to keep me playing since if I hadn't gotten the HL I would have quit. I've only had the game for 2 years 1 of which was online and all too little has happened involving online play for me. I racked up at least 100 Guild Cards, all but 1 of which are completely useless. The only friend I had online lives down the street from me and I've known him since 2nd Grade.

I wouldn't be surprised if some time down the road I entirely forget the game. I'm probably not going to bother getting Blue Burst.

BWS-1
Jan 26, 2005, 12:01 AM
I remember the first time I got PSO ... it was a hacked version of ver.1 ... I leveled offline 'till level 82, then, the US version came out, and I bought it ... realised I couldn't transfer my char, I deleted it ... and recreated it. Went online for the first time at lv2 ... wow that was so long ago. And I wish I could have been there when the DC server shut down. O well, I will likely get my hands on BB as soon as it comes out.

Garm
Jan 26, 2005, 02:45 AM
On 2005-01-25 15:12, Vielka wrote:
Once the GC era ends,

Heh GC era... sure makes it seem more than a game, and it is, it's the most advanced messenger program I've ever seen! Great fun it was/wstill is and even after i came back, twice, it was fun. 900 hours of my life out into one single game. I've done it once and Ii won't do it again, since the devolpers just on comin with new games. If ST however offers new episodes etc. on pc (just buy BB, and pay for the downloads) I might just hang aroud there, maby. I don't think i'll be there when the GC servers shut down, since there are alot of RPGs I just have to play (BB, vampires, WoW etc.) This topic realises me how close the game is to extincion... (antares 8 full? it once was... good ol' days)

BrokenHope
Jan 26, 2005, 04:06 AM
On 2005-01-25 16:15, shinobu_seta wrote:

On 2005-01-25 15:13, prowler wrote:

I think I find myself doing the same thing as well. I'll go into the DC lobbies and just sit, and almost imagine them being filled with people. *sigh* Remember when you very very first got on DC, how huge the lobbies felt? Now they seem really tiny...but there were so many people *sigh*

But why are we talking like this anyway? I'll bet the GC still has another good year or two left in it before they pull the plug.

I wish they still had the purple DC lobby, that one was my favourite.

So where do people play these days anyway? I log on almost daily, but can never seem to find anyone to play with, sure vega may have some people.. but I would rather not play there.

Ritz_UK
Jan 26, 2005, 08:30 AM
Switching the game to PC only would be an incredibly bad move. This isn't a personal opinion being reflected, as I have a monster gaming PC. PSOs charm lies in it's simplicity and bright console styled graphics - i think they really are unique and convey a fantastic atmosphere - fro the music right down to the user interface.

Also, if it's released as PC only, there isn't a chance it could compete with EverQuest, UO or World of Warcraft.

Let's see PSU released on the XBox and Cube exclusively!

BrokenHope
Jan 26, 2005, 08:34 AM
On 2005-01-26 05:30, Ritz_UK wrote:
Switching the game to PC only would be an incredibly bad move. This isn't a personal opinion being reflected, as I have a monster gaming PC. PSOs charm lies in it's simplicity and bright console styled graphics - i think they really are unique and convey a fantastic atmosphere - fro the music right down to the user interface.

Also, if it's released as PC only, there isn't a chance it could compete with EverQuest, UO or World of Warcraft.

From what I've seen of WoW the graphics aren't the most system taxing.

Ryna
Jan 26, 2005, 10:27 AM
I was around when the US DC servers went down and let me just say it was a rather pitiful sight. There was only one other person online at that time that still played, out of 100+ people. I think I only played 5 times that last month due the complete lack of people.

The GC version of the game is starting to head that way, but there are still a lot of people around to play with. It'll be a few more months before we start seeing the real decline.

Ritz_UK
Jan 26, 2005, 02:42 PM
From what I've seen of WoW the graphics aren't the most system taxing.

Ah, that wasn't the point I was making, but the graphics in that game are pretty awesome. If it's photo realism that floats your boat, check out EverQuest 2. I think the point I made is still valid.

shinobu_seta
Jan 26, 2005, 03:31 PM

I dunno...Everyquest, UO and WOW just don't have the same atmosphere that PSO does. They're so....I dunno a word for it....um.... american nerdish? (please don't take offense -_-;;) Of course I know the user bases for those games are massive, but I feel that they wont really be a tight competition for the users of PSO.

The thing that holds people to PSO so much anyway is it's charm and atmosphere. And dare I say, "anime feel" of it. I can't exactly make a cute character on WOW or EQ can I? It's more like we're stuck with the generic ideas of what an elf or dwarf should be, and that's it. I know I'm getting off on a different rant though, but that's what'll keep me on board.

PSO is fine anyway. The Japanese servers are still packed during peak hours, and BB already seems to have just as large a user base as GC already if you've been on. Things will be just fine.

Solstis
Jan 26, 2005, 03:38 PM
On 2005-01-26 12:31, shinobu_seta wrote:

I dunno...Everyquest, UO and WOW just don't have the same atmosphere that PSO does. They're so....I dunno a word for it....um.... american nerdish? (please don't take offense -_-;;) Of course I know the user bases for those games are massive, but I feel that they wont really be a tight competition for the users of PSO.

The thing that holds people to PSO so much anyway is it's charm and atmosphere. And dare I say, "anime feel" of it. I can't exactly make a cute character on WOW or EQ can I? It's more like we're stuck with the generic ideas of what an elf or dwarf should be, and that's it. I know I'm getting off on a different rant though, but that's what'll keep me on board.

PSO is fine anyway. The Japanese servers are still packed during peak hours, and BB already seems to have just as large a user base as GC already if you've been on. Things will be just fine.

I'm sorry, but the Warcraft Universe is FAR more engrossing than the Phantasy Star "Universe." Why?

Blizzard spends the time to weave the story. Sonic Team/Sega sorta throws the story out there, and just assumes that you'll figure it out on your own. Too many plotholes.

Sorry, but Guild Wars and WoW would crush a MMORPG Phantasy Star. On the PC, that is.

shinobu_seta
Jan 26, 2005, 08:40 PM
On 2005-01-26 12:38, Solstis wrote:

I'm sorry, but the Warcraft Universe is FAR more engrossing than the Phantasy Star "Universe." Why?

Blizzard spends the time to weave the story. Sonic Team/Sega sorta throws the story out there, and just assumes that you'll figure it out on your own. Too many plotholes.

Sorry, but Guild Wars and WoW would crush a MMORPG Phantasy Star. On the PC, that is.

I think you completely missed the point I was trying to make. I'm sure Blizzard's games have very enthralling storylines, however I was talking about the over all appearance and feel of the games themselves. (PSO does have a nice story by the way, I'm just really amazed at how much stuff people miss. I guess they hit A through cut scenes way too fast *shrugs* Big paragraphs too hard to read for most people? Dunno)

I guess what I was trying to say, is that I like PSO's cutesy anime looking characters, rather than being forced to make Lord of the rings reject background looking characters like generic elves and dwarves -_-

To each his own though. I'm sure I'm probably the only person that feels that way in this matter. I know I'm stuck in a male gamers world, and nothing will change that, I just gotta roll with the punches.

kazuma56
Jan 26, 2005, 08:43 PM
I like PSO because the battle system is more interactive the most MMORPGS, i'm not sure how WoW or GW is when it comes to battling, but PSO's realtime battle is a good pace from just click and watch like most other MMO's.

I've seen WoW in action at my friends house, but he was running away from some tigers so I didn't see how the fighting is.

Solstis
Jan 26, 2005, 11:14 PM
At some point, shinobu_seta wrote:

I think you completely missed the point I was trying to make. I'm sure Blizzard's games have very enthralling storylines, however I was talking about the over all appearance and feel of the games themselves. (PSO does have a nice story by the way, I'm just really amazed at how much stuff people miss. I guess they hit A through cut scenes way too fast *shrugs* Big paragraphs too hard to read for most people? Dunno)

I guess what I was trying to say, is that I like PSO's cutesy anime looking characters, rather than being forced to make Lord of the rings reject background looking characters like generic elves and dwarves -_-

To each his own though. I'm sure I'm probably the only person that feels that way in this matter. I know I'm stuck in a male gamers world, and nothing will change that, I just gotta roll with the punches.

Eh? I swear that I had a nice post written up.

Anyway, I do actually like that PSO has a more, well, anime feel to it.

What I do not like is that PSO's story line is a mere shadow of the original Phantasy Star lineage. Quite frankly, it is terrible, poorly thought out garbage that I wish had not been introduced in the first place. It would be nice if Sonic Team came out and said: "We were just kidding. Phantasy Star Online's story in no way reflects the Phantasy Star Universe, as a whole."

Oh... then they made Card Revolution. I pretend that this little twist never happened.

As for the "large" paragraphs in PSO, I certaintly hope that you do not consider the speech bubbles to be "paragraphs" and make up a large, grand tale of intrigue.

Eh. Nope.

I am currently pursuing the English major's path in College. Quite frankly, it's a pretty useless major that will leave me with nothing but a piece of paper and the thoughts in my head.

I also write fiction here on occasion as a way to improve my writing skillz. Perhaps fortunately for fan fiction writers, the Phantasy Star Online story line is invisible enough for much manipulation.

Blah.

And, yes, to each his/her own.

Drayma
Jan 27, 2005, 12:45 AM
On 2005-01-25 17:28, kazuma56 wrote:

I don't know what level you are but I'm legit and have everything open ep1 and ep2 vhard GCN. Make a post if you get GCN PSO.

BrokenHope
Jan 27, 2005, 04:27 AM
On 2005-01-26 17:40, shinobu_seta wrote:

On 2005-01-26 12:38, Solstis wrote:

I agree with you on some points. Some of the other games may technically have better graphics etc, but the style of those graphics just don't interest me at all. One of the main things I like about PSO is the amount of customiseation it allows, sure people still complain about still seeing almost identical characters around, but on a game such as FFXI it is way worse, since it only allows you to change the head/face and height basically which means you end up with A LOT of duplicate characters :/

I'm sure WoW may be a good game but the graphics, art style and just the way they seem to have gone way over the top to make it colouful just makes it look so.. fake? I know it's not meant to be realistic or anything, but it would have been nice if they had toned down the colours a little.

PSO may not have as good of a story line as other MMORPG's, FFXI has a fairly indepth and well thought out storyline. PSO's may not be as indepth, but if you play all the quests, view all the cutscenes and talk to every npc you see, you do end up with a decent enough storyline.

Skorpius
Jan 27, 2005, 01:46 PM
MMO's shouldn't have "indepth" storylines. Just a universe in which a player can "live" in. >>;

Solstis
Jan 27, 2005, 01:53 PM
On 2005-01-27 10:46, Skorpius wrote:
MMO's shouldn't have "indepth" storylines. Just a universe in which a player can "live" in. >>;

The forces of escapism strike again!

shinobu_seta
Jan 27, 2005, 02:32 PM
On 2005-01-26 20:14, Solstis wrote:

What I do not like is that PSO's story line is a mere shadow of the original Phantasy Star lineage. Quite frankly, it is terrible, poorly thought out garbage that I wish had not been introduced in the first place. It would be nice if Sonic Team came out and said: "We were just kidding. Phantasy Star Online's story in no way reflects the Phantasy Star Universe, as a whole."

Oh... then they made Card Revolution. I pretend that this little twist never happened.

As for the "large" paragraphs in PSO, I certaintly hope that you do not consider the speech bubbles to be "paragraphs" and make up a large, grand tale of intrigue.

Eh. Nope.

I am currently pursuing the English major's path in College. Quite frankly, it's a pretty useless major that will leave me with nothing but a piece of paper and the thoughts in my head.

I also write fiction here on occasion as a way to improve my writing skillz. Perhaps fortunately for fan fiction writers, the Phantasy Star Online story line is invisible enough for much manipulation.

Blah.

I feel that Sonic Team made the right move by breaking away from the traditional storyline. They made a new evil (sort of) and a completely new story line. What should they have done? "Oh, nope, wait a minute, the profound darkness really isn't dead after all." Would that really have made anyone happy?

Episode 3, which was dismissed by many as a kiddie card game, actually had a very nice storyline, and while there were no MAJOR world changing events in there, it was very involved and character driven. It really can be fun too if one gives it a try http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Garbage eh? I think it's probably one of the better story ideas out there. A planet is facing iminent destruction, forcing the population to either find a new home or face extinction. They find a new home, migrate there and are then faced with not only the dissapearance of half their race, but the general mysteries that come along with moving to a new planet anyway.

Now I've not played all of the MMORPG's out there, but doesn't the story usually reflect something like this?

"Darkness is spreading rapidly over the land. The forces of the evil Lord Rothgar continue to wreak havoc on the innocent, blah blah blah, join the crusade as a hero of courageous light in the never ending battle to rid us of this darkness"

Woo hoo, I've got something there, I'm sure there are plenty of D&Ders left out there that'd eat that right up.

Also, like Broken said, (and this is true for any MMORPG) if you're not playing the side/online quests, then the game's not going to have any story at all anyway.

I admire your credentials, sir. But if thought provoking, higher literary works are what you seek, then you shouldn't be looking to MMORPG's

Solstis
Jan 27, 2005, 03:22 PM
On 2005-01-27 11:32, shinobu_seta wrote:

On 2005-01-26 20:14, Solstis wrote:

Eh. Nope.

Blah.

I feel that Sonic Team made the right move by breaking away from the traditional storyline. They made a new evil (sort of) and a completely new story line. What should they have done? "Oh, nope, wait a minute, the profound darkness really isn't dead after all." Would that really have made anyone happy?

Episode 3, which was dismissed by many as a kiddie card game, actually had a very nice storyline, and while there were no MAJOR world changing events in there, it was very involved and character driven. It really can be fun too if one gives it a try http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Garbage eh? I think it's probably one of the better story ideas out there. A planet is facing iminent destruction, forcing the population to either find a new home or face extinction. They find a new home, migrate there and are then faced with not only the dissapearance of half their race, but the general mysteries that come along with moving to a new planet anyway.

Now I've not played all of the MMORPG's out there, but doesn't the story usually reflect something like this?

"Darkness is spreading rapidly over the land. The forces of the evil Lord Rothgar continue to wreak havoc on the innocent, blah blah blah, join the crusade as a hero of courageous light in the never ending battle to rid us of this darkness"

Woo hoo, I've got something there, I'm sure there are plenty of D&Ders left out there that'd eat that right up.

Also, like Broken said, (and this is true for any MMORPG) if you're not playing the side/online quests, then the game's not going to have any story at all anyway.

I admire your credentials, sir. But if thought provoking, higher literary works are what you seek, then you shouldn't be looking to MMORPG's

http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Well done. I lose.

HUcastShinobi
Jan 27, 2005, 03:26 PM
To be honest, i think the GC group is beggining to grow, because this game still doesnt shine as it should, for i hunted at the stores i was able to get into to see if this game was available, and i finally got it for christmas, but im getting a modem, one way or another, and i know some people here who want one just as bad as i do!

BrokenHope
Jan 27, 2005, 03:28 PM
On 2005-01-27 10:46, Skorpius wrote:

Most good ones have it both ways, in the 2 I've played PSO and FFXI, they have as little or as much story as you are willing to see.

If you choose to just level and play and not bother with the quests or missions, then you can go on like that for as long as you want. If you then choose to play the quests and do the missions, then you get to see the story too.

kazuma56
Jan 27, 2005, 08:26 PM
[/quote]
I don't know what level you are but I'm legit and have everything open ep1 and ep2 vhard GCN. Make a post if you get GCN PSO.
[/quote]

I have GCN PSO, I've bene playing PSO since v1 and haven't been online since that time, That's why I said one way or another, I will be playing PSO online although if it will be BB or ep.1&2 i'm unsure of.

Neith
Feb 1, 2005, 02:05 PM
Yeah, had some good times on GC, think I might be jumping to BB when (and if) the UK gets it. Hopefully I'll see some of my old friends when I do make the switch. Most probably dont even play anymore, but it's worth keeping the legend alive a lil bit longer. Long live PSO http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

shingo
Feb 1, 2005, 05:46 PM
To be honest, i think the GC group is beggining to grow, because this game still doesnt shine as it should, for i hunted at the stores i was able to get into to see if this game was available, and i finally got it for christmas, but im getting a modem, one way or another, and i know some people here who want one just as bad as i do!

My parents wont let me go online and my friends stop playing because they didn't like the 3 hit combo thing for your char. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

shinobu_seta
Feb 2, 2005, 12:41 PM
On 2005-02-01 14:46, shingo wrote:

My parents wont let me go online and my friends stop playing because they didn't like the 3 hit combo thing for your char. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

O.o? How did they want to attack? I love the 3 hit combo. They're not the "point and click to attack" kinda folks are they? -_-

TheOneHero
Feb 2, 2005, 01:09 PM
On 2005-02-02 09:41, shinobu_seta wrote:

O.o? How did they want to attack? I love the 3 hit combo. They're not the "point and click to attack" kinda folks are they? -_-

They could be those kids that want a: 'never ending' combo as seen in a few games. =/

ForceOfBrokenGlass
Feb 2, 2005, 04:20 PM
On 2005-02-02 10:09, TheOneHero wrote:

On 2005-02-02 09:41, shinobu_seta wrote:

They could be those kids that want a: 'never ending' combo as seen in a few games. =/

Ie. Monster Hunter, you can keep attacking as long as you still have some Stamina left and don't try to use the same move twice in a row.