PDA

View Full Version : Dial-up modem...

chop-stix
Jan 26, 2005, 07:01 AM
I want to get online with PSO but I dont have broadband. I have been thinking about getting a dial-up modem. But I have been going on and off the idea, but before I can make a final descion, I need some advice, Is it really worth getting dial - up for the gamecube or not really. If I should how much is it monthly, and also is PSO 3 availble online with the dial - uip modem?

Ryna
Jan 26, 2005, 10:38 AM
On 2005-01-26 04:01, chop-stix wrote:
I want to get online with PSO but I dont have broadband. I have been thinking about getting a dial-up modem. But I have been going on and off the idea, but before I can make a final descion, I need some advice, Is it really worth getting dial - up for the gamecube or not really. If I should how much is it monthly, and also is PSO 3 availble online with the dial - uip modem?

Let me just say that PSO Episode 1&2 and Episode 3 are very playable on dial-up. The only differences between BB and dial-up on PSO, is a marginal difference in latency, the amount of time it takes to join a game, and how long it takes you to download a quest. If you really want to get on PSO and dial-up is your only option, it would be worth going that route.

Also, this might be a question to ask in Technical Support.

SLON
Jan 27, 2005, 08:00 AM
If you don't have a PC, then a 'Pay as you go' ISP account might be the simplest option. Usually costs 1p per minute on-line.

chop-stix
Jan 27, 2005, 01:21 PM
Do you have to sign a contract or anything like that? Do you just pay £5.99 (UK) a month and thats it or not?

BrokenHope
Jan 27, 2005, 04:25 PM
On 2005-01-27 05:00, SLON wrote:
If you don't have a PC, then a 'Pay as you go' ISP account might be the simplest option. Usually costs 1p per minute on-line.

While it may be the simplest option, it is also most likely the most expensive if he intends to be putting it quite a lot of online time.

SLON
Jan 28, 2005, 08:13 AM
Agreed, Broken Hope. As for the cost of the HL, it is 6 quid unless you take out the 3 month option, which works out a little bit cheaper.

Graptakular83
Feb 15, 2005, 04:48 AM
I had to think this through for a year and a half of owning this game to finally go and grab the 56k modem. Heres what i said in another topic similar to this:

The way I see it, I don't think there's a need for the high speed since I don't think the loading times are bad at all. What? Like 20-30 secs to load a quest, maybe less? I never even noticed. Seeing as I cant afford broadband, 56k is a convinient, cheap (maybe even superior?) solution. Besides, when do you ever hear someone excited about "totally downloading that quest like right away!" especially since you have to wait for the guys with slower connections to finish downloading anyways. 56k all the way!

And yeah, when you get a HL, you can access Ep3 online as well on the same license.

shinobu_seta
Feb 15, 2005, 09:18 AM
PSO really doesn't need a broadband connection at all. I play with 56kers all the time and never experience any sort of lag at all.

Quests always take about 20 to 30 seconds to load, no matter who you're playing with. No biggie at all!

BrokenHope
Feb 15, 2005, 01:27 PM
On 2005-02-15 06:18, shinobu_seta wrote:
PSO really doesn't need a broadband connection at all. I play with 56kers all the time and never experience any sort of lag at all.

Quests always take about 20 to 30 seconds to load, no matter who you're playing with. No biggie at all!

PSO defiantly plays a lot better when the person hosting the game is on a broadband connection. Also I'm not sure if you have noticed, but when playing with 56k users when the quest load bar gets to 100% if everyone is on broadband it starts the quest there and then, if you have someone on dial up, you have to wait for them to finish first.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: BrokenHope on 2005-02-15 10:28 ]</font>

shinobu_seta
Feb 16, 2005, 09:30 AM
That's true, but it's usually only 10 to 15 more seconds. Surely people can wait that much more time. People seem really impatient these days -_-