PDA

View Full Version : MSN names

Rainbowlemon
Jan 26, 2005, 11:06 AM
Yeah, I use MSN messenger, its now an English tradition -_-.

Anyway, I'm basically typing here to vent my anger relating to people's names on messenger. Normally, things like I *heart* soandso would just make me think 'geez, keep it to yourself' but it seems things are getting kinda out of hand.
It basically just really annoys me that everyone wants to express their sad little lives through their msn names.

For example.....

One of my friends has been through a lot recently, stuff that I'd rather not share, but he still feels the need to tell his story through cryptic msn names, even though he talks to everyone about it anyway.

Just browsing through my list, here's a list of some of the more annoying ones that make me just want to say 'GIVE YOURSELF A NORMAL NAME, MORON':

"Green Day Friday!!!!!!!!!! *note* this is the dawning of the rest of our lives! *note* 13Senses upgraded to Academy 2"

(I mean, what the FUCK? This is supposed to be a NAME you retard, not a fucking documentary!)

"rach xxx - psychology homework, whoever invented it has to be shot"

(That's nice dear, really, but for god's sake, we dont all need to know that! Just Rach would suffice, really!)

"no car all week...how will I cope? Ok, you have to bring yours coal-in"

(Ok, this pisses me off SOOO much. Not only because its so incredibly...BLEH...but its my ex. Coal-in is Colin, a guy she likes - this is a personal joke between him, her and like 3 other friends, so why the fuck put it as your msn name? If nobody can understand it, why should they give a shit? Moreso, its like abusing someone in a different language right in front of them - like saying, ya, we have nicknames, but you're not allowed to be in our little group. Grah...)

"swords are for lords, I realise now I am no king, nor a minstral who can sing, I am one of the myth, I jump off a cliff, I am love"

(Firstly, again, WHAT THE FUCK? What the HELL is that supposed to mean to anyone but YOU??! This is one of my friends, who never particularly annoys me at all, but he's started recently to have these stupid riddles for names, explaining his life through a feeble attempt at verse, and playing the minds of others by confusing them with his words. Dude, seriously, if you ever read this, please, just be NORMAL)

Lastly.....

"There's nothing I could say to make you feel ok, and nothing you could say to stop me feeling the way I do"

(I used to be quite good friends with this girl, and although I rarely talk to her anymore, she's still on my list...but how I regret it. I have talked with her a number of times about her boyfriend, and how she loves him so, and its very nice to express your love for someone, but seriously, there's a TIME and a PLACE - Frankly, I find it an insult to love for it to be expressed in a digital world...change it dear, please god, or my brain will fry out of sheer annoyance)

Basically, a feeble and unworthy rant, but its always good to let out the steam. Little things tend to go from bad to worse if left unattended...

KodiaX987
Jan 26, 2005, 11:15 AM
Just so you know, my current MSN quote is "Chupatchoo". http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

navci
Jan 26, 2005, 02:44 PM
My current nick changes, I guess I fit into the "Rach" category. It always goes like NAVi, some witty remark. But I try to keep it short.

The only problem I have with names are when they become very, very, very long. Then it bugs me cuz it can't fit into the screen and everytime you type a message the nickname fills up 4 lines and the person might just be saying lol. And that, is silly.

Ancient
Jan 26, 2005, 03:09 PM
I dont mind if they pick something and stay with it. Me? I'm just Mike (killer bee's) and I have been for over a year now. It makes no sense, but after a while it becomes synonomous with you, like a made up last name. Thats what I go for.

SpikeOtacon
Jan 26, 2005, 03:16 PM
They give you the power, people will abuse it. I like mine long sometimes, other times I keep it short. But usually It's a brief message on what I would be doing. For instance, mine right now is :

-[...Dot//Commi3: Member of the Combine Police...]-

Because Dot.Commi3 is a nickname I got from some new friends of mine, and Member of the Combine Police is for all you Half Life 2 gamers out there. Some people, however, like to surround thier names with Emotes and that drives me nuts, especially since it can slow down the chat window.

Skorpius
Jan 26, 2005, 03:30 PM
Trillian allows you to rename your contacts. All long names are reduced to one word. :]

navci
Jan 26, 2005, 03:33 PM
On 2005-01-26 12:30, Skorpius wrote:
Trillian allows you to rename your contacts. All long names are reduced to one word. :]

Like. Jerk. Hottie. Or Annoying.

PJ
Jan 26, 2005, 06:12 PM
I like Messenger names, but that's just me http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Like I always start with Prince PJ (Although I had a little bit where I had El Loco Prince PJ XP) and just different quotes... by me.

Prince PJ - "The 4 Chocolate Groups: Aero, Coffee Crisp, Kit Kat, Caramilk. So shall it be written, so shall it be done. Amen."

Stupid, but no one seems to mind. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Hrith
Jan 26, 2005, 08:11 PM
You fail at seeing the point of MSNM.

I'm like Navi, my name is Kefka, followed by something, sometimes in languages not English, OMG !

This rant is stupid.

PJ, your names are usually very good and funny, but nothing beats anwserman in originality for names.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kef on 2005-01-26 17:13 ]</font>

Mixfortune
Jan 26, 2005, 08:51 PM
Since I hardly use MSN...

It's been Kuma Booma for a while now.

Just.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mixfortune on 2005-01-26 17:52 ]</font>

Deathscythealpha
Jan 26, 2005, 09:31 PM
I dotn mind them if there actually spelt correctly. No txt message speak please, it make syou seem retarded.

I do find with the names though that it either reflects a mood or is a good way for someone to start up a conversation. Many a good conversation has been spawned by me asking 'Whats with the name?' (Best one recently involved someone jamming a desk into their hallway by mistake and trying to elbow drop it out of the way).

Rainbowlemon
Jan 26, 2005, 10:36 PM
On 2005-01-26 17:11, Kef wrote:

I'm like Navi, my name is Kefka, followed by something, sometimes in languages not English, OMG !

This rant is stupid.

PJ, your names are usually very good and funny, but nothing beats anwserman in originality for names.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kef on 2005-01-26 17:13 ]</font>

I never said it wasn't stupid...However, I fear you fail to see my point still. I dont actually mind witty msn names, something to cheer me up a bit, something maybe distinguishing you from the crowd, but its when people start trying to resolve their relationship problems in their msn names that I draw the line.

*shrug* It just gets at me...

AUTO_
Jan 26, 2005, 10:46 PM
Mine has been Frances the Mute since it was announced.

But I use AIM more then MSN.

navci
Jan 27, 2005, 01:41 AM
.... but nothing beats anwserman in originality for names.

Except when you look at the name you don't recognize it right away, and then you go and try to recognize him by e-mails.

But I see Anti... my's point though, some are silly.

Skorpius
Jan 27, 2005, 02:05 AM

Is the point to have a display name 20 times longer than your message?

I cry whenever I see the clowns, and when they scream, I start peeing my pants says:
lol

Solstis
Jan 27, 2005, 02:46 AM
There's a reason why I don't like using MSN.

Well, other than the fact that it pales in comparison to my lovely Dead AIM.

Skorpius
Jan 27, 2005, 03:52 AM
Just get Trillian.

http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Hrith
Jan 27, 2005, 04:15 PM
On 2005-01-26 19:36, Antimony wrote:
I dont actually mind witty msn names, something to cheer me up a bit, something maybe distinguishing you from the crowd, but its when people start trying to resolve their relationship problems in their msn names that I draw the line.Fair enough, thanks for clarifying http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

On 2005-01-26 22:41, navinator wrote:

.... but nothing beats anwserman in originality for names.
Except when you look at the name you don't recognize it right away, and then you go and try to recognize him by e-mails.Well, you recognize his originality http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

On 2005-01-26 23:05, Skorpius wrote:
Is the point to have a display name 20 times longer than your message?

I cry whenever I see the clowns, and when they scream, I start peeing my pants says:
loluber XD

On 2005-01-26 23:46, Solstis wrote:

Well, other than the fact that it pales in comparison to my lovely Dead AIM.I tried AIM at a friend's once... never twice. Worst piece of shit ever. It's so shitty that I don't even want to use Trillian; including AIM in any way annoys me.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kef on 2005-01-27 13:19 ]</font>

BrokenHope
Jan 27, 2005, 04:29 PM
On 2005-01-26 23:46, Solstis wrote:

Well, other than the fact that it pales in comparison to my lovely Dead AIM.

Apart from the conversation logging pretty much everything else can be done by other programs, besides unless you warez it, you have to pay for Dead AIM right?

Tycho
Jan 27, 2005, 05:30 PM
I do agree about annoyingly long MSN names.
But I just overwrite all of them with MSN Plus.. x_x; It works for the MSN main window, and whenever someone says something as well.
Because it's fucking annoying to see:

'bkjnw,rsilag he;origuhe9r8g hliug heri gh gihui ghetiug hegi ueiug erhuer says: [something really short]'

times a lot, basically filling your screen with weird nicknames, more than with useless text.
Sorry I couldn't really imitate a real regular long MSN name, it should probably be some cool quote or whatever.
With lots of icons and unpronouncable thingies.
Oh, and stuff written in 1337.

Skorpius
Jan 27, 2005, 05:36 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/Skorpius/22meh.png

Sayara
Jan 27, 2005, 05:40 PM
I guess i am guilty of this...

"Nostal - Lets move all together to the music!"
My names are often parts of lyrics, repersenting my mood. So i dont have to tell people how i feel.

SJ
Jan 28, 2005, 09:09 AM
My msn name is usualyu just SJ..
I dont care about most names, its when people change them constantly or have a name like '*-*-*;(B)GaNgSta rEgGiE eRe WiV aLl dA bUfF gYlS n Al dA $aD lOzAs CaN sUcK oN tHaT mIcRoScOpIc ThInG u CaL a DiK (B);*-*-*'.
This guy is 12.
Oh and the other names that bother me are the ones with hundreds of symbols in....
I think people think that 'name' means huge bunch of crap no-one else cares about at the top of my messages..jeeze..
SJ