PDA

View Full Version : Hwo long?

Dangerous55
Jul 12, 2002, 09:42 PM
Is the phone line that will be with the GC modem? Cause I need a pretty long one, they DC one was just long enough.

ABDUR101
Jul 12, 2002, 09:49 PM
You should still be able to use the one that came with your DC. They're all the same. You could even go buy a 20ft phone line if need be. I haven't heard anything about what comes with the GC modem, sorry :

Sleet1
Jul 12, 2002, 09:50 PM
use the DC one.

Dangerous55
Jul 12, 2002, 10:04 PM
And there lies the problem, I sold my DC...

Sleet1
Jul 12, 2002, 10:09 PM
hahahahaha. sucks for you.

Dangerous55
Jul 12, 2002, 10:14 PM
On 2002-07-12 20:09, Sleet1 wrote:
hahahahaha. sucks for you.

Eh, not really, they gotta include one with the GC modem.

Souljah
Jul 12, 2002, 10:19 PM
You can just buy a 20-50ft phonline from radio shack or something costs less then $10 i think.

CodeName62
Jul 12, 2002, 10:21 PM
I was suprised that the dreamcast came with a phone line. I wasn't expecting that a phone line would come with it.

Ian D
Jul 12, 2002, 10:22 PM
Yeah, really. There's no problem, luckily I put my own phone line in through the wall so I positioned it perfectly http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

CodeName62
Jul 12, 2002, 10:31 PM
On 2002-07-12 20:22, Y0SHI wrote:
Yeah, really. There's no problem, luckily I put my own phone line in through the wall so I positioned it perfectly http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

Out of all the bedrooms in my house, my room doesn't have a phone jack. So I had to do some modifying. At Radio Shack I bought a 50ft phone line, and a 2 in 1 phone line jack. I then drilled a hole through my wall into the master bedroom. Then I ran the phone line through that hole, and into the master bedroom's phone jack, using the 2-1 phone jack connector.

Sleet1
Jul 12, 2002, 10:53 PM
when the BBA comes out will it be like plugging it into a phone jack, but the computer?? if you use a phoneline for the BBA i need to run it from my bedroom downstiars to my onine Cable internet computer thats upstairs...possible??

ABDUR101
Jul 12, 2002, 11:08 PM
On 2002-07-12 20:53, Sleet1 wrote:
when the BBA comes out will it be like plugging it into a phone jack, but the computer?? if you use a phoneline for the BBA i need to run it from my bedroom downstiars to my onine Cable internet computer thats upstairs...possible??

Not your computer, from your cable modem to your BBA. It's possible if you get the right length of required line.

Sleet1
Jul 12, 2002, 11:12 PM
i would plug it into the phone line that a Router would go into right?

ABDUR101
Jul 13, 2002, 12:14 AM
On 2002-07-12 21:12, Sleet1 wrote:
i would plug it into the phone line that a Router would go into right?

Are you plugging it into a phone line(not using the BBA) or are you going to be using your cable modem or other broadband connection?

If you have a router at home for a broadband connection, then yes, you hook it up to that. If you are using it with a modem/phone line, you don't need to hook it up to your computer(no doubt you already knew that).

Did that help alittle more?

Sleet1
Jul 13, 2002, 12:34 AM
well i mean would i have a phone line from the BBA going to the Cable Modem phone Jack

ABDUR101
Jul 13, 2002, 01:15 AM
On 2002-07-12 22:34, Sleet1 wrote:
well i mean would i have a phone line from the BBA going to the Cable Modem phone Jack

If it's using the cable modem(Broadband) it would prolly use the same line type as the broadband uses)like the system link cable on the X-box), so it could keep a high connection instead of being limited to 56k phone line. I mean, the point of having broadband is the excessively increased speed, if they bottle necked it by making you use regular phone line, isn't that kind of a draw back?

Unless of course that little bit of phone line used isn't going to be a real bottle neck, I'm not sure if there's that much, if any difference between cable line and regular phone line. I'd assume there is.

We'll have to wait until someone with more knowledge about it can reply, I don't know anymore than what I just said. o_O

Ambrai
Jul 13, 2002, 06:39 AM
FYI Phone 'cords' over 20 feet suffer serious signal degridation. Your better off installing a whole new jack (not that hard, only the actual snaking of the cable is a #@@#$). So do your best to try to avoid anything over 20 feet for data lines. For normal phone is fine, you won't notice a difference, but for data you can drop from 50,600 to 32,200 just from a bad phone cord.

Dangerous55
Jul 13, 2002, 12:07 PM
I dont even plug mine into a phone jack, I plug it into the back of my computer. I found nobody else that does that.

Rotis
Jul 13, 2002, 12:27 PM
Here's an interesting BBA-related question that I hope someone can answer...

We have cable modem--but only downstairs, on my mother's PC. For months they said they'd wire it up to my bedroom, but it never happened.
Eventually we just went and bought a hub that has antennae on the back, and therefore I get cable on my Mac via my Airport card.
Now, I'm assuming that they won't have a wireless card for the GameCube or anything. But my computer's right next to my TV. Would it be possible to plug a BBA cord into my computer's ethernet port and have that work?
I know you can do "ghetto BBA" with a Dreamcast and a PC... guess it'd require some odd tweaking.

Ambrai
Jul 13, 2002, 04:28 PM
In theory it would be possible, all dependant apon the GC really hardware wise. Also the key to tweaking it would be dependant apon your operating system. Win2k and XP are the easiest.