PDA

View Full Version : State of the Union

Jehosaphaty
Feb 2, 2005, 09:23 PM
anyone watching? thoughts?

id get tired of the sitting, then standing, then repeated and repeated. i hope social security reforms do happen, thats one of the things that caught my attention from the little ive seen.

SpikeOtacon
Feb 2, 2005, 09:38 PM
I'm waiting for him to make another mistake like his famous "I hear rumors on the internets."

Fyrin
Feb 2, 2005, 09:45 PM
The man scares me....

Fyrin
Feb 2, 2005, 09:48 PM
The so called, "President of the United States".

RavenTW
Feb 2, 2005, 10:14 PM
Two words Fyrin: Edit Button.

Personally, I had enough of a speech for one lifetime when Clinton came to my school. I'd much rather be playing PSO and Halo and posting on Forums than listening to another botched-up President try to sound like he's not in a mid-life crisis.

Dangerous55
Feb 2, 2005, 10:56 PM
On 2005-02-02 18:45, Fyrin wrote:
The man scares me....

Oh shut the fuck up.

*edit- Ok that was harsh maybe but it's what I was thinking.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dangerous55 on 2005-02-02 19:59 ]</font>

RicoRoyal
Feb 2, 2005, 11:01 PM
On 2005-02-02 19:56, Dangerous55 wrote:

The man scares me....

Oh shut the fuck up.

Agreed.

Fyrin, learn how to hold an actual conversation/arguement. If that's too much to ask, then at least learn to keep your mouth shut.

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Feb 3, 2005, 04:47 AM
On 2005-02-02 20:01, RicoRoyal wrote:

On 2005-02-02 19:56, Dangerous55 wrote:

The man scares me....

Oh shut the fuck up.

Agreed.

Fyrin, learn how to hold an actual conversation/arguement. If that's too much to ask, then at least learn to keep your mouth shut.

He probably doesn't know that the State of the Union is an annual thing and isn't just another excuse for the president to be on TV.

Its supposed to be informative and isn't exactly like a presidential debate and that hype that goes with it.

The people(probably mostly kids) that aren't directly affected by the president or his actions seem to be the most adamant about "hating" or being "scared" by him. Kids don't pay taxes, why the hell should they care about Social Security.

Indeed hearing the projected social security shortages by 2050 or so on the news was a bit of an attention grabber. I also loved it when they interviewed someone who had no idea what social security is.

Nicktendonick
Feb 3, 2005, 07:58 AM
Well, if you plan on retiring in the future (like in 30+ years) this is something we should be worried about. I feel that anyone who is retired now should be weary of our future.

But still, I am completly against the banning of gay marriges. If two people love eachother, then they should be able to get married regardless of gender. It shouldn't just a civil union, that just seems stupid.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Nicktendonick on 2005-02-03 06:47 ]</font>

Ketchup345
Feb 3, 2005, 01:13 PM
On 2005-02-03 04:58, Nicktendonick wrote:
Well, if you plan on retiring in the future (like in 30+ years) this is something we should be worried about. I feel that anyone who is retired now should be weary of our future.

But still, I am completly against the banning of gay marriges. If two people love eachother, then they should be able to get married regardless of gender. It shouldn't just a civil union, that just seems stupid.

I didn't actually watch the SotU (how funny was it?), but I do know the main points and read it.

I'm against Social Security reform, as he is making too big a deal out of it, it is fine until at least 2042, and even then can stay in good shape with tweaking. The changes don't seem like they would be worth the cost (isn't it at least a trillian dollars?). It is also risky, and may give back less than you put in and have less benefits than Social Security. And yes, any change to Social Security would affect me highly (I'd be retiring around the time that the "lockbox" would go empty if nothing is changed).

Social:
And as I've said before, gays should have at least all the same rights that married couples have. The amendment failed; and I'm 99.9% sure it doesn't have enough support now. Also, we need to broaden Stem Cell research (due to many of the lines that were usable now being unusable for some reason), and keep abortions legal.
I don't like the idea of faith based organizations getting benefits from the government; if the government wants to give aid, then give it directly.

Education:
No Child Left Behind is a failure. The extra money for college seems like a good idea, but how far into debt will it put us? And it didn't seem like the increase to the Pell Grants is anything compared to the rising cost of colleges.

Business:
What one person calls a frivolous lawsuit may not be and may right a serious wrong. Sure some are a waste of time and money, but is there truely that many useless lawsuits?

Environment/Business:
He actually wants to improve the environment? http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_eek.gif He said he promoted safe and clean nuclear energy, how is that possible?

International:
Korea- He claims to be trying to talk North Korea out of its nuclear weapons program, but last I knew he wasn't giving Kim Jong Il the types of talks Kim wants.
Democracy- Not everyone likes it. Let groups of people choose the government they want. Both countries we went into both set up "democracies", but I don't remember anyone asking the citizens what they wanted.

HUcastShinobi
Feb 3, 2005, 06:37 PM
hell, they say 2042 on the current event i have to do for civics, and boy do i love doing the critcizing on bush for current events... what a dumbass bush is, man our economy is fucked if he gets away with this rubbish crap of his. and then theres abortion... im not touching that one, cause its obveous what to do...

Scrub
Feb 3, 2005, 07:26 PM
On 2005-02-03 10:13, Ketchup345 wrote:
Both countries we went into both set up "democracies", but I don't remember anyone asking the citizens what they wanted.

Haven't you learned by now? It isn't what what other countries want that matters, but what America wants. x_x

Jehosaphaty
Feb 3, 2005, 10:03 PM
On 2005-02-03 15:37, HUcastShinobi wrote:
hell, they say 2042 on the current event i have to do for civics, and boy do i love doing the critcizing on bush for current events... what a dumbass bush is, man our economy is fucked if he gets away with this rubbish crap of his.

we've lived through "bad" presidents, we'll live through this one. sure you're entitled to your opinion, but the man isnt a dumbass: his vocabulary might off, but i highly doubt you could make it all the way to be put on the ticket being a "dumbass" in the literal sense of the word and otherwise. its obvious you dont like him, but find some sort of sensible way to state your dislike rather than just "dumbass" and saying you like to criticize him.

our economy: no ones ever going to make 100 percent of america happy, and right now bush is probably lucky to make 50 percent happy i suppose. care to state why you think the economy is screwed? i agree we have problems, i think everyone agrees on that. what to do is question, obviously. social security reforms are a big issue at hand, im still working on if i like his ideas or not. all i know is id rather not be a broke bum when i retire some day.

and then theres abortion... im not touching that one, cause its obveous what to do...

obvious to you maybe. thats waay to big of an assumption to make. for now, id rather not touch it either.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Jehosaphaty on 2005-02-03 19:04 ]</font>

Chaos_Ranger
Feb 5, 2005, 12:12 AM
At least Kerry isnt our Prez. Thank God for that.

Hrigg
Feb 5, 2005, 12:16 AM
I didn't watch it... so I wouldn't know any occurances during it. My parents watched it though...

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Feb 5, 2005, 04:07 AM
On 2005-02-04 21:12, Chaos_Ranger wrote:

Back up your statement with a supporting arguement please.

Granted you do only have currently 4 posts, but you can't just say something like that with nothing to support it.

Didn't like 49% of the country vote for John Kerry?
I don't hate our current President at all, as some people seem to love to do. I'm just making a case for why some people would have loved to have John Kerry as the President for 4 years.

CNN Headline News reported an increase in jobs and a decrease in unemployment since George Bush has taken office. I do understand this isn't directly linked to the President's everyday actions and there are other variables involved.

Hrigg, what did your parents think of it?

Ketchup345
Feb 5, 2005, 10:01 AM
On 2005-02-05 01:07, HAYABUSA-FMW- wrote:
Didn't like 49% of the country vote for John Kerry?
I don't hate our current President at all, as some people seem to love to do. I'm just making a case for why some people would have loved to have John Kerry as the President for 4 years.

CNN Headline News reported an increase in jobs and a decrease in unemployment since George Bush has taken office. I do understand this isn't directly linked to the President's everyday actions and there are other variables involved.

Yes, 48% of the country that voted was for Kerry (Bush had 51%, the random 3rd parties had to have taken the last 1%). And in some "important places", the vote was overwhelmingly Kerry (I believe Washington D.C. was over 70% Kerry?).

I thought for sure unemployment was only who was collecting; and people can't collect after a certain length of time; so the true unemployment may never be known?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ketchup345 on 2005-02-05 07:06 ]</font>

Chaos_Ranger
Feb 5, 2005, 01:32 PM
The reason I Have only four posts is that because, first of all, have been a member for about five days, and second of all, have a life besides VideoGames and the internet. And to back up my statment about Kerry; I thank Jesus everyday he is not our prez. B/C of his wishy washy stances on topics like body armor and Gay mairrrage.

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Feb 6, 2005, 05:02 AM
On 2005-02-05 10:32, Chaos_Ranger wrote:
The reason I Have only four posts is that because, first of all, have been a member for about five days, and second of all, have a life besides VideoGames and the internet. And to back up my statment about Kerry; I thank Jesus everyday he is not our prez. B/C of his wishy washy stances on topics like body armor and Gay mairrrage.

I wasn't debating or asking why you had four posts.

"Ooh a life outside of the internet and video games!"
Don't stereotype. We've all heard that one before and the majority of posters here have lives too.

You have been a member since the beginning of the month. No one expects a lot of posts in that amount of time. The Forum Rules are some guidelines to help you post acceptable things. If it comes to a certain point of mistakes, moderators can assist you.

What is your preference on Armed Forces' body armor and gay marriage rights then?

Saying John Kerry is "wishy washy on his stances" without stating your own is pretty damn bandwagon and rightfully so since the Election was back in November.

It is important to say your opinion here, as it is a political topic.

@ Ketchup
Indeed. The same goes for the annual census reports as well.

In four years of course the communications industry has had a significant growth. Everyone and their mom owns a cell phone now. That certainly could have created many more jobs then there were four years ago, as one example.

The "No Child Left Behind Act" has not panned out, I believe as well. Local High Schools have "Exit Exams" now. From what I've heard, most kids cannot pass the tests. They were introduced a few years ago and were 'too difficult'. They were pulled for a year and are back again.

If parents and teachers had more accountability to have their kids learn the requirements, the tests would not be as hard. A lot of kids are pushed through the system with well below average English and Mathematics skills.

Ever hear of a Junior or Senior in a Freshman Math High School Math class? I sure as hell have, one too many times now.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: HAYABUSA-FMW- on 2005-02-06 02:06 ]</font>

Allos
Feb 6, 2005, 11:28 AM
On 2005-02-04 21:12, Chaos_Ranger wrote:

Amen to that.

Ketchup345
Feb 6, 2005, 12:06 PM
On 2005-02-06 02:02, HAYABUSA-FMW- wrote:
@ Ketchup
Indeed. The same goes for the annual census reports as well.

In four years of course the communications industry has had a significant growth. Everyone and their mom owns a cell phone now. That certainly could have created many more jobs then there were four years ago, as one example.

The "No Child Left Behind Act" has not panned out, I believe as well. Local High Schools have "Exit Exams" now. From what I've heard, most kids cannot pass the tests. They were introduced a few years ago and were 'too difficult'. They were pulled for a year and are back again.

If parents and teachers had more accountability to have their kids learn the requirements, the tests would not be as hard. A lot of kids are pushed through the system with well below average English and Mathematics skills.

Ever hear of a Junior or Senior in a Freshman Math High School Math class? I sure as hell have, one too many times now.

Communnications Industry:
Yes, the Communnications industry may have seen growth, but that doesn't mean that everyone can get a job in there. Many people can't switch to a different type of job that easily, such as from manufacturing (puting a burger on a bun is not a manufacturing job -_-); and the industry is likely to hire people who have either previous experience, or little training (such as from a communnications college).

So far, NCLB is only supposed to be up to grade 8. And it doesn't seem to be working up to expectations so much that even people who wrote the first bill won't agree with expanding it with to high-school levels. Expecting a lot of growth in just one year is not very possible (some is required yes, but not as much as NCLB calls for I believe {I may have to check that part of it out}), and many schools are in danger of not recieving funding because of it.

Also, NCLB is a failure in part because it requires Special Ed students to take the same test and score at the same levels as other students.

Only in math classes have I heard of a junior in what should be a freshman class. I was one of three freshmen in my Algebra 1 class, the rest were juniors (but it could have been better if my school system didn't do what they did with math sophmore year).

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ketchup345 on 2005-02-06 09:07 ]</font>

Chaos_Ranger
Feb 6, 2005, 08:38 PM
"Ooh a life outside of the internet and video games!"
Don't stereotype. We've all heard that one before and the majority of posters here have lives too.

You have been a member since the beginning of the month. No one expects a lot of posts in that amount of time. The Forum Rules are some guidelines to help you post acceptable things. If it comes to a certain point of mistakes, moderators can assist you.

What is your preference on Armed Forces' body armor and gay marriage rights then?

Id rather not state my stances, B/c I'm sure it would offend someone even if I was not being offensive. My goal is not to offend but to state my opinion. I was not stereotyping in any way shape or form, did I even mention any others in my post? Your assumption is that I was, when in actuality I was just stating a fact. "Acceptance > Judgement" If thats your title you don't live up to it, B/c you Judge that I am stereotyping when I am not. And that is a judgement of your character.

Allos
Feb 6, 2005, 09:01 PM
On 2005-02-06 17:38, Chaos_Ranger wrote:

Your assumption is that I was, when in actuality I was just stating a fact. "Acceptance > Judgement"

Stop saying shit like that and mabye people will respect you.

Chaos_Ranger
Feb 6, 2005, 09:46 PM
Stop saying shit like that and mabye people will respect you.

All I was stating is that if HAYABUSA truly values acceptance over judgment he shouldnt judge.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Chaos_Ranger on 2005-02-06 18:47 ]</font>

Jehosaphaty
Feb 6, 2005, 11:31 PM
stop your bickering > locked topic

anyways. speaking of the school system part: i think the biggest problem in american school systems is lazyness. you cant tell me that every child without mental handicaps or actual learning dissabilities cannot recieve at least a C in standard classes. kids just generally refuse to apply themselves.

personally i think home life is a factor in this matter as well. if parents care to take an interest and make sure their kids are doing as well as possible, a large part of the problem i believe would be fixed. im not saying good parents will result in insta-goodkid, but i believe generally thats the way it goes.

Chaos_Ranger
Feb 7, 2005, 01:05 AM
My apologies jehosaphaty.

I also think that alot of the reason kids arent doing so well in schools today is b/c of the disinigration of the family system. Parents arent taking as much interest in their kids nowadays. The days of stay at home parents are almost gone, kids are raised by babysitters or nannys. So alot of the time they cant spend the nessisary time they need to with their kids. Or they are just to lazy.

digigram
Feb 7, 2005, 10:57 AM
Thats it.. I'm so fucking sick of you people..

Can't one of us say one motherfucking thing regarding our opinion of that god damned hick in the white house, and NOT have you fucks come in and tell us to "shut the fuck up" ....

Dhylec
Feb 7, 2005, 01:24 PM
On 2005-02-07 07:57, digigram wrote:
Thats it.. I'm so fucking sick of you people..

Can't one of us say one motherfucking thing regarding our opinion of that god damned hick in the white house, and NOT have you fucks come in and tell us to "shut the fuck up" ....

nah, sounds like you need to cool off..
if you wanna vent, do it in rants, otherwise it's consider as flaming..
thus +1 warning you for you