PDA

View Full Version : Causes of Virus

InfinityXXX
Feb 3, 2005, 09:05 PM
Sunday my mouse froze up and i turned off my computer and it kept on freezing when it loaded up so the only way i was able to get on the computer was through safe mode. The next day my was messin around on the computer and looked at Mcafee spam killer and found out that some data was corrupted by a virus and we were being hacked. So my mom deleted the virus and the computer is A ok. but the problem is how i got the virus.
Soooo, my mom starts to blame Raganrok Online for the virus and starts to say i have a high risk of getting a virus on the game and that other players can send me viruses. Is it true that i can get a viruse through Ragnarok online or through any mmorpg just by playing it. I mean those who have played Ragnarok online knows how it works and there is really NO way to actuallly get a virus in the game even if you wanted one.

Madzozs
Feb 3, 2005, 09:24 PM
Someone may be able to trace your I.P. through one of those games, but it is prolly pretty tough. Chances are, someone clicked on something on a webpage that shouldn't have been clicked. That is how it normally starts.

anwserman
Feb 3, 2005, 09:36 PM
Tell your mother to shut her stupid-ass mouth and make her realize that the game can only do what it is supposed to do... nobody can send viruses.

Its probably her own dumbass fault.

BrokenHope
Feb 4, 2005, 06:52 AM
On 2005-02-03 18:24, Madzozs wrote:
Someone may be able to trace your I.P. through one of those games, but it is prolly pretty tough. Chances are, someone clicked on something on a webpage that shouldn't have been clicked. That is how it normally starts.

Even if they had your IP and you had no firewall, you would still need to be running a program or service that is exploitable.

Plus someone's IP is hardly a secret, it's broadcast whenever you do anything on the internet.

As for the original post, there is no way Ragnarok online gave you a virus, unless the client you downloaded for it had a virus in it.

PrinceBrightstar
Feb 5, 2005, 03:56 AM
Are you using a firewall? That'll help the virus problem a bit by stopping it before it can even get inside the door. Zonealarm is my suggestion.

BrokenHope
Feb 5, 2005, 05:41 AM
On 2005-02-05 00:56, Jonathan_F wrote:
Are you using a firewall? That'll help the virus problem a bit by stopping it before it can even get inside the door. Zonealarm is my suggestion.

Are you serious? A firewall is going to do nothing in terms of stopping a virus getting into his pc. It may stop an internet worm, but it isn't going to stop a virus, especially one sent by e mail or one that is downloaded by clicking on a link.

SpikeOtacon
Feb 5, 2005, 09:22 AM
On 2005-02-05 02:41, BrokenHope wrote:

On 2005-02-05 00:56, Jonathan_F wrote:

Are you serious? A firewall is going to do nothing in terms of stopping a virus getting into his pc. It may stop an internet worm, but it isn't going to stop a virus, especially one sent by e mail or one that is downloaded by clicking on a link.

But this isn't that type of Virus he is concerned about. He wants to know how secure he can make his computer to assure it did not come from RO. The firewall could stop a direct connection from an IP address, and if you don't know the IP you can deny it and therefore he can't slip the virus onto your computer. RO actually does have hackers in it, and they have found ways to freeze people's systems just like the FSOD in PSO. Thing is, Gravity can detect activities such as that so easily, that the person who does it is banned almost instantly.

Blue-Hawk
Feb 5, 2005, 10:48 AM
Here's an idea. Lose that piece of crap Mcafee and get a real antivirus- Norton and Norton Internet Security. My father has Mcafee on his pc and his pc got SO screwed up by a virus it's not even funny. After the reformat, I got an older version of Norton, 2003 in fact, and his pc has been fine ever since.
I have had Norton products for 4 years now and the last virus I had since using it was AOL on my old pc. >_<