PDA

View Full Version : What do you think about the PSO races?

darkholemind
Feb 7, 2005, 07:29 PM
I was wondering what you all think on the subject of what it would be like if humans and newmans could have children and what it would be like. I cannot even began to retype the large amount of vocabulary or train of thought I used when posting my thoughts over at Ragol, so I'll leave a link and let you make of it what you will.

http://ragol.warcrafttavern.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5457

Rain_1
Feb 7, 2005, 09:44 PM
I see 5 possibilities for numans and humans breeding:

a) it's not possible. I mean, the actual sex is possible, but the ovaries are never fecunded (spl?)
b) creates a deformed fetus that doesn't grow up to the birth stage
c) creates a infertile creature that's neither human nor numan (like horses and donkeys make mules, which can't procriate)
d) creates either a human or a numan
e) creates a new kickass race that will wipe dark falz from the face of the universe!

I'm thinking A tho.

Edit: Do we even have hard evidence that they can even procriate among themselves? I'm a little rusty on my ps/pso storyline.. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Rain_1 on 2005-02-07 18:44 ]</font>

Skorpius
Feb 7, 2005, 10:02 PM
O.o
It's a game.. it isn't supposed to make sense.

Show me when PSO made sense.

Parn
Feb 7, 2005, 10:07 PM
Yes, they can copulate. The answer is that you'd have something of an enhanced human being.

Rika was created in Phantasy Star 4 by Seed for one sole purpose: to allow humans (read: Parmanians) to survive. Seed was well aware of Motavia reverting back to its former barren state, and Rika was meant to bear future generations that would be able to survive the harsh conditions that a barren world would bring. The systems that were designed to maintain the terraformed version of Motavia were never brought back online, even at the close of Phantasy Star 4.

shinobu_seta
Feb 7, 2005, 11:17 PM
I believe parn is correct.

Newmans are actually genetically enhanced humans, designed to be more efficient learners and warriors (although the classes of PSO might not always suggest this) I think the result of such a relationship is going to be a more genetically superior human (most likely another newman)

I'm definitely interested in the subject though, and you can find some inter-racial (human and newman) relationships and hear of their off spring in my fan fiction if anyone's interested in a story like that. (sorry for the shameless plug ^_^; )

Are there any more cannon examples of this in PS's past?

Nai_Calus
Feb 8, 2005, 12:42 AM
On 2005-02-07 20:17, shinobu_seta wrote:

Sort of. The Phantasy Star Compendium includes character design sketches of a post-PSIV Rika/Fal with(mostly) shorter hair... And her son with Chaz/Rudy, Rui. The kid looks like one would expect, normal human except for the pointy ears, which are more Vulcan/Tolkein elf length than Newman length and have the same black tip as his mother's. Not exactly canon as in 'This happened in a game, it's possible', but still interesting.

*pokes around* Ah, here. http://www.phantasy-star.net/art/compendium/rikaandson.jpg

I'm taking it as canon, and even if it's not possible, too damned bad, two of the characters in my fic are half-newman. <.< >.>

Crystal_Shard
Feb 8, 2005, 01:04 AM
To be quite honest, from what I read, that particular pic was actually part of a possible
sequel for PSIV where Chaz gets himself knocked off not very long after the end of PSIV The
creator's comments mentioned that Rika was indeed intended for the purpose of strengthening
the Parmenians on Motavia into a breed of genetic superhumans.

Well, something like that anyway. Seeing as the idea got junked, I'd take this picture as a
"could have happened, but didn't". In any case, I didn't really like the whole idea of Chaz
getting himself eliminated so fast after PSIV. He survived the ultimate evil of Algo, but
got killed in an accident or something? -_-' Sheesh, talk about anticlimatic.

Solstis
Feb 8, 2005, 01:07 AM
On 2005-02-07 20:17, shinobu_seta wrote:
I believe parn is correct.

Newmans are actually genetically enhanced humans, designed to be more efficient learners and warriors (although the classes of PSO might not always suggest this) I think the result of such a relationship is going to be a more genetically superior human (most likely another newman)

I'm definitely interested in the subject though, and you can find some inter-racial (human and newman) relationships and hear of their off spring in my fan fiction if anyone's interested in a story like that. (sorry for the shameless plug ^_^; )

I'd have to say that these are *far* different Newmen. The ones featured in PSO liken more to mass produced machines than the super-humans of the PS series.

So: depends on what time period/alternate reality/location in the Phantasy Star universe.

Garm
Feb 8, 2005, 11:20 AM
Newmans can breed in the PSO ep 1&2 timeline: Hopkins has a father. Well ofcource he could be adopted but as Skorpius said PSO doesn't make any sense at all.

shinobu_seta
Feb 8, 2005, 01:59 PM
I'd have to say that these are *far* different Newmen. The ones featured in PSO liken more to mass produced machines than the super-humans of the PS series.

So: depends on what time period/alternate reality/location in the Phantasy Star universe.

You're right there, with the exception of Nei I think. The way her early life was explained it seemed more like she was created along the same lines as the Newman's of PSO. Like a product if you will. or her creation might have been an accident. I honestly can't remember. Please please correct me if I'm wrong

Newmans can breed in the PSO ep 1&2 timeline: Hopkins has a father. Well ofcource he could be adopted but as Skorpius said PSO doesn't make any sense at all.

I believe so as well. I mean, there are a lot of PSO online couples out there. Surely Sega would make their cannon a little lenient towards that, right? ^_^

Also I found some PSO newman class information here: http://www.classicgaming.com/saturn/pso/A_Classes.html
I'm not sure of their sources though, so take it with a grain of salt. Most of the information that is presented on that site seems to be pretty researched and genuine though.

darkholemind
Feb 11, 2005, 03:36 PM
In PS2 Nei is created for from splicing monster and Human DNA. If what you say about Rika being made for the Palmains being able to survive on Motavia, then is it possible that Nei was an early experiment or was created to allow the Palmains to adapt to the second planet(forgot what it was called)? If you read in between the lines of the story of PS2 it sounds as if humans are losing control of Mother Brain and perhaps Nei was created to allow eventual adaptation should Mother Brain's system shut down. I haven't gotten very far into PS2 yet (no fuckin' maps in the dungeons) but that was what I deduced from it.

On a different note, the reason I believe Nei(and Rika apparently) have pointy vulcan type ears and FO's have the stick-out ears is to just differentiate them. They seem to have no diffence other than their classes. In PS2 Nei is a HUnewearl and I'm assuming also that Rika is in PS4. I don't remember there being any FO newmans in PS so ST may have just decided to change up the look some.

Parn
Feb 11, 2005, 05:47 PM
Nei's existance is something of a mystery. I don't think it's ever been really explained. Rika was created for the previously mentioned reason, sure, but Nei's creation is an entirely different thing.

And not Humans or Human DNA... Parmanians (or Palmanians). Two entirely different races. My correcting you will make more sense when you see the ending of Phantasy Star 2.