PDA

View Full Version : Force question

sviatgabor
Feb 8, 2005, 03:58 AM
Is it worth it to equip a weapon at lower levels? I'm at lvl 45 right now and I find it a lot easier to tech without a weapon. It's faster.

Maybe latter levels when you get some evade, mind and luck boosts.

Your thoughts?

Ketchup345
Feb 8, 2005, 06:36 AM
Females cast the same with a weapon as without one. They should always use a weapon that boosts the techs you are using. Males cast faster unarmed. But there are some times when casting with a weapon may be better.

Tech casting gets faster at higher levels, so unarmed becomes more and more efficient.

Hand/Fist weapons have unarmed casting animation, so if you can get you FOmar/FOnewm to use Sonic Knuckles (+10 DFP, EVP, and MST).

sviatgabor
Feb 8, 2005, 08:51 AM
Thought so.

Heh, good one. Sonic knuckles is online only, no?

Hrith
Feb 8, 2005, 09:00 AM
On 2005-02-08 05:51, sviatgabor wrote:
Heh, good one. Sonic knuckles is online only, no?
Yes.

But fast casting is a waste if you are soloing, boosting techs by 20% or 30% or more is a lot more useful than casting faster.

Omega_Nova
Feb 8, 2005, 09:55 AM
I disagree Kef, I love spamming enemies solo with my FOnewm, infact I'd turn down bonuses just to have the enimes slow down from the rapid hit of your techs

Nai_Calus
Feb 8, 2005, 10:13 AM
Meh. I can think of about one place where the male unarmed casting speed is useful, and that's for keeping Meri*****s locked down... L30 Gizonde, male chara unarmed. Of course, you have to keep your timing right or they'll pwn you. But it's useful for a male FO soloing ET on the 6th floor... And not much else. XP

EphekZ
Feb 8, 2005, 10:22 AM
eh techniques are not really my thing(even though I have a fomar) but i randomly decide to spam foie and such but normally I just spam shifta & Deband

I think A FOmar is most efficient while melee'ing

hehe Soul Eater+lvl 22 FOmar>pwnage

Hrith
Feb 8, 2005, 10:23 AM
On 2005-02-08 06:55, Omega_Nova wrote:
I disagree Kef, I love spamming enemies solo with my FOnewm, infact I'd turn down bonuses just to have the enimes slow down from the rapid hit of your techs
It's not a matter of agreeing or disagreeing.
Spamming techs with a Sorcerer's Cane, Psycho Wand and such is more efficient than unarmed. What you prefer is your problem.

Sitka
Feb 8, 2005, 12:28 PM
Absolutely Kef,

Between the increase in MST and the boost to technique damage, armed casting is almost always my preference - I do agree there are a few instances where my male fo will cast unarmed - particularly after the sinows just unarmed him (heh).

For my FOnewearl, I prefer Summit Moon. The FOnewmn likes the Psycho Wand and I like to use a Magical Piece/Sorcerer's Cane/Twin Saber (s-rank) on the Fomar/Fomarl. Different strokes for different folks - that's what I like to use.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sitka on 2005-02-08 09:28 ]</font>

sviatgabor
Feb 9, 2005, 02:38 AM
Yeah, but I haven't seen no psycho wand or anything at lvl 45 and equipping canes is a no go for me. So I guess I'll stay unarmed until I find a reasonable weapon to play with.

Thanks for the info!

Sitka
Feb 9, 2005, 02:46 AM
You're a FOnewmn - so mixed thoughts (Rico Royal - we could use your help).

My limited experience would suggest you would benefit from Club of Laconium/Dagon/Storm Wand Indra at your current stage. If you can get a Hildebear's head off of said creature, finish your quests for your stage and get the good doctor to make you Hildebear's Cane....

With its foie boost, that wep will help you against bosses and enemies on 1 & 2 and provides a good boost in MST - well worth the small loss in casting speed.

Later you can pursue the ultimate force weapons.

sviatgabor
Feb 9, 2005, 03:04 AM
Good thought. I stopped doing quests becuase one of the quests in the beginning (when a ranger accompanies you) freezes in a doorway. I lost 3 hours of leveling up due to this error. I tried again and it froze again. That's when I gave up. But I'll look into it, maybe finishing other quests first and then approaching that damn doorway from a different angle...

Neith
Feb 9, 2005, 03:19 AM
Personally, Id rather have the damage boost of the 3 basic canes, rather than having a faster cast rate. Ive tried it, and in my experience I found the tech boosting weapons to be more efficient than a faster casting rate. Suppose it comes down to personal preference really.

Mixfortune
Feb 9, 2005, 03:25 AM
On 2005-02-08 06:55, Omega_Nova wrote:

When a tech boosting weapon brings the number of casts needed to kill enemies down from 4 to 3 (for example), then it's faster/about same speed, and it uses less TP.

sviatgabor
Feb 9, 2005, 03:48 AM
[/quote]

When a tech boosting weapon brings the number of casts needed to kill enemies down from 4 to 3 (for example), then it's faster/about same speed, and it uses less TP.

[/quote]

Ok, but the difference between 1 tech lvl is marginal, I would say. Casting one more zonde for the cost 10TPs is not gonna make it or break it. Also, you would have to pay close attention to stats.

Mixfortune
Feb 9, 2005, 03:56 AM
On 2005-02-09 00:48, sviatgabor wrote:

Ok, but the difference between 1 tech lvl is marginal, I would say. Casting one more zonde for the cost 10TPs is not gonna make it or break it. Also, you would have to pay close attention to stats.

Right, earlier on unarmed may be better.
I'm sort of referring to later on, like in Ult, when techs cost more like 40+. That, and area techs, like Gifoie and such.

And after a long while of casting, casting, casting for levels and levels, you'll start noticing what works better than what. Saving yourself another cast or two every group of enemies makes a good difference in the long run.

Besides, it's still better off than faster unarmed casting.

(This is all still referring to offline solo, I haven't played enough FO online to know about which is better there)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mixfortune on 2005-02-09 00:58 ]</font>

Garm
Feb 9, 2005, 04:18 AM
Well my FOnewm goes unarmed in all areas the damage boost I get from my weps aren't significant enough. This will change when I get a P-wand or Corcerors cane(sp?). It depends on the boost wether to use the wep IMO.

Mixfortune
Feb 9, 2005, 04:28 AM
On 2005-02-09 01:18, Garm wrote:
Well my FOnewm goes unarmed in all areas the damage boost I get from my weps aren't significant enough. This will change when I get a P-wand or Corcerors cane(sp?). It depends on the boost wether to use the wep IMO.

Well yeah, of course Fonewm won't benefit as well from weapon boosts to basic techs. I was sort of going with the given that you wouldn't be using basic techs as much with a Fonewm or Fomar. There's still the 9 star wands though.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mixfortune on 2005-02-09 01:28 ]</font>