PDA

View Full Version : Is it natural to feel like a geek since you don't pay mutch

Anubis_
Feb 8, 2005, 01:13 PM
I'm refering to a geek more or less in a public since..

I don't pay mutch attention to sports, and it makes me feel like a geek.

But not geek like,, I know alot about computer and i don't care who knows.. but more like.. I'm childish and I should grow up and stop whatching cartoons all the time..

navci
Feb 8, 2005, 01:15 PM
On 2005-02-08 10:13, Anubis_ wrote:
I'm refering to a geek more or less in a public since..

I don't pay mutch attention to sports, and it makes me feel like a geek.

But not geek like,, I know alot about computer and i don't care who knows.. but more like.. I'm childish and I should grow up and stop whatching cartoons all the time..

This applies not only to paying attention to sports. Also applies to if you try to hold some sort of ideal, if you don't care about what everyone else is caring about.

Ya. I know what you're saying.

ABDUR101
Feb 8, 2005, 01:48 PM
I dunno, I could really care less who plays who, who wins which play off, who goes to the superbowl, WHATEVER!

"Dood! Eagles fucking suck, I hate them."

I never understood how you can hate a fucking team, even if they were playing against your home team. It's a fucking sport, even the players of both teams shake hands, hug and wish each other luck and to be safe.

I'm not into sports at all, but I'll keep an ear open during the superbowl, or flip it on every so often to see how it's going. I just enjoy watching both teams play and give it their all, I could care less who wins.

BOC
Feb 8, 2005, 02:16 PM
meh, i ain't really into sports either dude, and i don't think that makes me a geek.

my uncanny knowledge of pretty much every word of dialogue spoken in just about every worthwhile movie or tv series i've seen makes me a geek! or my complete obsession with transformers! http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

really though, i have friends who can rhyme of vital stats of just about every football (read: soccer) player in the english league, and i think that is pretty geeky. justa more socially accepted method of geek.

who really cares if u are a geek? as long as u don't spend hour after hour debating about the science of star trek (yeah, i have a friend who used to do that) in a pscked bar when nobodys really listening or gives a flying fiddlers fuck. or start singing the team america theme in the back of the cinema during the film. (yeah a pair of gimpy friends who did that. had to tell the guy next to me that they'd been drinking heavily all day because he was giving us the strangest looks - god i hope its not true about a mans company been the measure of his character).

well all got a little geek in us. and i said that without making a dick joke. oh shit, does that count?

VIVA LA GEEK

PEACE!!!

Daikarin
Feb 8, 2005, 03:23 PM
Aside from the health subject, sports are benefitial.

A guy I knew once told on a conference, that the key to be a good apprentice is to play sports a lot. Because that's where the rules are, where your capability of team work is displayed, where your capability of learning and reacting is done in a way that makes you feel active.

Doesn't it make you feel productive when you score a goal?

I like sports a lot. But I don't pay much attention to TV sports, with the exception of Tennis and soccer, sometimes, and that doesn't make me a geek.

And if you meant you weren't interested in PLAYING sports, then you should consider a weekly match with your friends or something. Can't hurt, right?

navci
Feb 8, 2005, 03:41 PM
On 2005-02-08 12:23, Even_Jin wrote:

Jin, though, there is a difference between liking sports and play sports, then pay attention to sports; versus sitting on the couch drinking beer and eating popcorn and watch sports on TV and know all the stats about the players.

I think Anubis is referring to the latter.

Allos
Feb 8, 2005, 03:48 PM
I don't follow sports closely, but I enjoy a good game from time to time (with the exception of baseball which I can't stand). But mostly I really don't give a shit.

HUcastShinobi
Feb 8, 2005, 03:49 PM
Dude, you are just judging yourself on how others place you, and what others do, and i am one of the "geek qualified & placed" so dont listen. my appearance comes across geeky and so do my actions, i watch cartoons and i dont watch sports, but most are not different from what most of those people do! besides owning a gamecube, im just nearly the same in what i do at home. sports are mostly for showoff people, unless you speak of college and pros... sports arent the "big thing" neways... just be YOURSELF. just dont judge yourself harshly by such riduculus things, i dont and i got many friends for such belief. Hell, almost half are girls! People are weird, but dont listen or try to be them...

i think sports are just bland entertainment...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: HUcastShinobi on 2005-02-08 12:53 ]</font>

Daikarin
Feb 8, 2005, 03:50 PM
Exactly, Dr. navi. As I said, I hate watching sports. Does that make myself a geek?

BOC
Feb 8, 2005, 04:28 PM
On 2005-02-08 12:23, Even_Jin wrote:

A guy I knew once told on a conference, that the key to be a good apprentice is to play sports a lot. Because that's where the rules are, where your capability of team work is displayed, where your capability of learning and reacting is done in a way that makes you feel active.

Doesn't it make you feel productive when you score a goal?

yes it does! thats why plenty of companies run their own sports teams, help develop relationships and a sense of team work among employees.

course, a study a year or two ago showed that the same team work skills and communication skills can be developed through online gaming too.

and er yeah, playing sports is pretty good, as long as u enjoy what ur playing! Nothing more fun sometimes than kicking a ball around in the park with ur buddies on a warm summer afternoon! that part i like, but i just can't stand watching sports, apart from international matches, but thats for national pride! or therefore lack of pride for our team http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_eek.gif

just don't get overly competitive. christ some of the guys i play with can get sooo damn competitive, it always seems to end up with somebody storming off pissed off. course im talking about 3 dudes who once came to blows because their team was getting completely trounced in halo 2 and kept blaming it on each other. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif not that it had anything to do with me and my constant 'running them over with the ghost' tatic. but now im just talking shit and i'll stop!

PEACE!!!

Jehosaphaty
Feb 8, 2005, 06:38 PM
On 2005-02-08 12:49, HUcastShinobi wrote:
Dude, you are just judging yourself on how others place you, and what others do, and i am one of the "geek qualified & placed" so dont listen. my appearance comes across geeky and so do my actions, i watch cartoons and i dont watch sports, but most are not different from what most of those people do! besides owning a gamecube, im just nearly the same in what i do at home. sports are mostly for showoff people, unless you speak of college and pros... sports arent the "big thing" neways... just be YOURSELF. just dont judge yourself harshly by such riduculus things, i dont and i got many friends for such belief. Hell, almost half are girls! People are weird, but dont listen or try to be them...

i think sports are just bland entertainment...

i dont think hes necessarily judging himself, just wondering if its normal to feel "geek".im not sure sports are "mostly for showoff people" either. ive played sports all my life simply for the love of the different games i play. ive played with dicks, coaches who think they know the games, good friends, good players (one who'll probably go division 1 playing basketball), bad players and various other types of people. its a great learning experience: you'll never know it all.

anyways...i guess it is natural for you to feel a little out of the loop, maybe a bit "geekish" even; but in the end, life always goes on without sports. do what you want, and never look back is my corny outlook for the day.

navci
Feb 8, 2005, 06:41 PM
On 2005-02-08 12:50, Even_Jin wrote:
Exactly, Dr. navi. As I said, I hate watching sports. Does that make myself a geek?

Which to that I replied in my first post.

We are all geeks, some more acceptable than others, as someone said earlier.

Zzzzzz....

Eihwaz
Feb 8, 2005, 07:37 PM
Watching sports interests some people, and it doesn't do anything for some people. Which is fine. If you don't like to watch sports, that simply means that sports do nothing for you.

I don't follow any sports, but I do like to see the occassional hockey game. My old town had their own team, so I got to go to a couple of games. And even when I would go watch them play, I don't care who wins. XD

AUTO_
Feb 8, 2005, 09:48 PM
As far as major sports go the only one I keep major tabs on is the NFL.

I mean come on...it's football! http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

College basketball is generally better then NBA basketball in my standards--it just has more energy.

I don't think it makes you a geek to not be very aware of what's going on in sports, but I think anyone can enjoy watching one/being involved in one.

Anubis_
Feb 9, 2005, 12:06 PM
dont think hes necessarily judging himself, just wondering if its normal to feel "geek".im not sure sports are "mostly for showoff people" either. ive played sports all my life simply for the love of the different games i play. ive played with dicks, coaches who think they know the games, good friends, good players (one who'll probably go division 1 playing basketball), bad players and various other types of people. its a great learning experience: you'll never know it all.

That is realy what I'm talking about Jeho..

I really meant feeling like a geek in your own eye sight and not so mutch as in the eyesight of others..

I think in the past year I've changed a little.. I think I've become more social and I've watched less tv and played less games and interacted with people alot more.. I have more friends now than I had back in college..

Then it was basicly study, draw, watch some tv and play pso basicly..

I don't wanna give up one for the other. I guess what i realy want a life thats a balance between the two.. and when I watch cartoon or something I feel detached from a social experience.. I guess too mutch of one will definately kill the other..