PDA

View Full Version : Ghost In The Shell: Stand Alone Complex

Swan
Feb 10, 2005, 05:12 PM
so, I got the first 12 or so episodes of GITSSAC for my b-day, and I think it's the greatest show ever thus far. I just wanted to see what everyone else who's seen some thinks.

KveerRaven
Feb 10, 2005, 05:56 PM
I think the music is great. The producers seems to lack something that Shirow Masamune had. Brilliance. Yes, I know, the anime is based of his manga, but he didn't produce the anime series at all. At least I think he didn't.

Either way, its a good anime, but not enough action like the movie. But it has kudos from me.

Nicktendonick
Feb 11, 2005, 08:01 AM
I've seen up to ep.7 (portraz) of Ghost in the shell: Stand alone complex. One of the best shows on adult swim and I really can't find any faults in the show. But I've never seen any of the movies though but I herd the movies are seperate from the Stand Alone Complex.

Madzozs
Feb 11, 2005, 08:09 AM
hence the name "Stand Alone" Complex.

I think they are pretty damn good myself. I really loved the original movie so I was a bit hasty to check them out. All in all, I'm glad I did.

KveerRaven
Feb 11, 2005, 08:51 AM
Yes, they are seperate, simply because the producers bought the rights off of Shirow Masamune to produce an anime series. The series is nothing like the manga, which I think takes away from it. It is a good anime, don't get me wrong, however. I perfer the movies over them. Even so, I still like the series.

digigram
Feb 11, 2005, 09:34 AM
Shirow doesn't produce it, nor does Oshii have any involvement in it.

The character animation walks like stick men (bat in ass) and they cut a lot of corners to get it done.

The story, so far, is pretty decent. Not the greatest plot outline I have seen, but still good.

It doesn't have a whole lot of depth to it, aside from being sometimes "unusual". I think the episode that meant the most to me so far, was the one where Togusa is assigned to that orphanage for kids with, shit I forgot the name, basically a syndrome in which they constantly function as if thier ghost is still inside the net.

(this game called "Bloodnet:a cyberpunk gothic", called the exact same concept, "hoppes-brie syndrome", spelling is all wrong. This idea, although really contemplative, has been used over and over again, be it from william gibson's "neuromancer" or a game that was released in 1989-90)

Thats why the series doesn't get to me like it does to new audiences. Not only are they not really doing new things and blowing my mind like the movies do (even in story alone), they aren't re-using ideas and making them interesting.

Alielle
Feb 11, 2005, 02:16 PM
It's not bad.

Motoko's outfit sucks though. Why is such an (apparently) capable woman wearing an outfit that makes her look like a whore? Every time I see her, I think "Put on some damn pants!!"

Edit: Oh yeah...

The character animation walks like stick men (bat in ass) and they cut a lot of corners to get it done.

Sounds like just about every anime that's out there. :3

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Alielle on 2005-02-11 11:18 ]</font>

digigram
Feb 11, 2005, 03:03 PM
Sounds like just about every anime that's out there. :3

correction...every "bad" anime.

KodiaX987
Feb 11, 2005, 03:34 PM
On 2005-02-11 11:16, Alielle wrote:
It's not bad.

Motoko's outfit sucks though. Why is such an (apparently) capable woman wearing an outfit that makes her look like a whore? Every time I see her, I think "Put on some damn pants!!"

So true. Actually, it seems the designers had a laugh at their own design because in one episode, the Chief nonchalantly declares "Are you trying to waft some pheromones in my direction?"

In another, later episode, Batou is seen hiding under one of Motoko's drawers and using it as gun cover. Thanks to the camera angle, we learn Motoko prefers thong underwear.

EJ
Feb 11, 2005, 03:35 PM
I enjoy it, not much action in certain eps, but I enoy the story and watch it every Saturday on Adult Swim.

Swan
Feb 12, 2005, 07:26 AM
hats off to the pants complainers here. I agree. kinda like I agree that they shouldn't have changed "Fuchikoma" to "Tachikoma". makes no sence. but other then that, it's a great show. beats the hell outa the matrix.