PDA

View Full Version : Call 'em by their names. Political correctness is illegal.

KodiaX987
Feb 17, 2005, 11:02 PM
So, let's see. I was reading someone's CV a few days ago and noticed one of his early jobs was at Subway...

As a Sandwich Artist.

So I went through my head, and thought "Holy fuck, those guys REALLY DO have someone tagged a Sandwich Artist!"

Excuse me Your Zitness, but I hardly think a sandwich maker is an artist. Unless you can make flowers out of your slices of ham, you hardly look or sound artistic. Food artists are the guys who prepare a dish that looks so good you wanna take a photo of it, and I hardly want to take a picture of my sandwich. Besides, Tim Hortons makes a better job at those anyways.

So, Mr. Subway President, if you are reading that, please do the following:

STOP FUCKING CALLING YOUR EMPLOYEES SANDWICH ARTISTS!!! YOU'RE GIVING BIN LADEN A REASON TO SHOTGUN YOU UP THE ASS!!!

Next target: Wal-Mart. Yep, the guys who must always stress that those guys aren't employees. They're "associates".

News flash you fucks. Some of your so-called "associates" decided to get syndicated. So what did you do? You fired 'em all off! Oh, sure, you didn't actually fire them, no. You had to close the shop because "it wasn't making profits". Yeah, just like EVERY SINGLE FUCKING SHOP WHERE THE EMPLOYEES SYNDICATED! Yes, EMPLOYEES! Not associates! The perspective of the old-man-welcome at the entry of the shop being an "associate" is as credible as an EA employee taking advantage of stock options.

So, Mr. Wal-Mart President, if you are reading that, please do the following:

STOP FUCKING CALLING YOUR EMPLOYEES ASSOCIATES!!! I ONLY GET TO REMEMBER THE ASS PART!!!

More to come if I find any other bullshit companies in this universe that deserve a good kick in the ass for failing to call things by their proper names.

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Feb 18, 2005, 02:19 AM
I just read that and became sad.

I've been working about a year and a half at a restaurant and have no offical "title."

The only thing that has ever come up regarding this was when someone joked about being a "(chicken) katsu technician."

That runs in about the same group as "sandwich artist" or "custodial engineer(janitor)".

Man, I'm a nobody. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

AYY-BEE-CEE
Feb 18, 2005, 06:17 AM
Oh boo hoo, multi-national chains give employees titles that you are not used to. Seems relatively harmless to me, so why make it a problem?

KodiaX987
Feb 18, 2005, 06:39 AM
Because you gotta be on an opium overdose to come up with a dumbass idea like "omg hay guyz lets call em sandwich artist lololololololol!!!!!!!!!"

Scrub
Feb 18, 2005, 06:48 AM
Scene: Singles Bar

<Woman> So, what do you do for a living?

<Man> I'm a Sandwich Artist for Subway!

<Woman> ...

anwserman
Feb 18, 2005, 08:39 AM
On 2005-02-18 03:39, KodiaX987 wrote:
Because you gotta be on an opium overdose to come up with a dumbass idea like "omg hay guyz lets call em sandwich artist lololololololol!!!!!!!!!"

Kodia.
One person's dumbass idea maybe a brilliant to somebody else.
Personally, I work at fast-food. So, since I have a position as "Manager" I don't have too much to worry about in regards to title, but I would much rather prefer to carry the title of "Sandwich Artist" instead of "Employee" when it comes to the job application, when applying to somebody else.

Why the hell are you pissed off? Those titles don't apply to you so don't get pissed off. You're gonna have a fucking heart attack by the time your 30 by ranting about trivial bullshit such as this.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: anwserman on 2005-02-18 05:40 ]</font>

Hrith
Feb 18, 2005, 09:49 AM
The use of the word "artist" is vulgarly misplaced, I agree.

RicoRoyal
Feb 18, 2005, 01:33 PM
For the most part, I'm going to have to agree with everything anwserman just said. Perhaps the word artist really is getting thrown around a bit too much, too often, but I still don't see why that would upset you so much.

If you don't die of a massive heart attack by then, here's you in 65 years:
http://www.pbs.org/weta/reportingamericaatwar/reporters/images/photo_rooney_interview.jpg
Andy Rooney of "60 minutes" fame

I wouldn't get too excited though. Unlike Andy, chances are you won't get paid for being a miserable curmudgeon. It's more than likely you'll just end up talking to yourself in the old folks home.

Simma' dow'nah.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: RicoRoyal on 2005-02-18 13:46 ]</font>

derBauer
Feb 18, 2005, 05:40 PM
What does any of that have to do with political correctness?
I like Subway, and I like Wal*Mart, and I don't care what they call their workers.

Wyndham
Feb 18, 2005, 06:06 PM
It's just like my situation. i work occasionally for a workers-for-hire type buisness in exchange for a cut of the profits, but it doesn't make me an artist sice I do the painting.
my real art makes me an artist on paper if need be.
even though I consider myself just a loser.
so leave the art to the artists. please.

Deathscythealpha
Feb 19, 2005, 08:36 AM
I think whats getting him here is the stupid 'flowery' title's people are getting these days. I would have to agree, making a sandwich does not make you an artist, so why call yourself a sandwich artist? It also sounds so incredibly stupid, as if the person is trying to make their job grander then it is. I know no one who would go 'Wow, your a Sandwich Artist', they would most likly laugh at the person.

KodiaX987
Feb 19, 2005, 09:42 AM
DSA is my new love. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

navci
Feb 19, 2005, 12:42 PM
Label is just a label.
Unless they start to call Subway employees "Sandwich shitters" or Walmart people "cooperate dogs". I really don't see what the big deal is.

I mean, unless he goes around introducing himself as a "Sandwich artist". If it is just on the resume, well hell, we all use fancy terms and flowery language on our resume trying to make us look uber. COme on, give the people who work shitty jobs a chance to make it sound cool for once.

Hello. I am a bullshit artist, do you need a good resume! Call us today!

Aredhel
Feb 19, 2005, 04:54 PM
I'm with Kodia on this viewpoint, though I know it's a very unpopular perspective. So many simple people are entertained by "clever" titles and all that bullshit, and Wal-Mart keeps it already dumbass workers opiated by referring to them as Associates (trust me, I worked for them for a while until I couldn't stand this exact bullshit anymore). Now, not to exclude all the flowering little diamonds in the rough that pervade the western civilization's dreg-class of corporate drones, as I'm sure that some people really, truly are gifted when it comes to making sandwiches, but to just apply some blanket "everybody-is a winner and an artist" term to everyone, merely for the sake of upping morale is just absolute idiocy.

Unfortunately though, the proles outnumber us, so it looks like we have less and less to seperate the weak and the strong in this world.

What was it about the end of the universe and entropy...the balancing out of things? Hmmm...

http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

navci
Feb 19, 2005, 10:28 PM
On 2005-02-19 13:54, Aredhel wrote:
Unfortunately though, the proles outnumber us, so it looks like we have less and less to seperate the weak and the strong in this world.

I don't understand why people feel a need to seperate everything from everything. Really. If a person is obviously smart/dumb enough, you will spot him right away. Why do you need a label anyway? Not like label cannot be misapplied to the wrong person. A label is just a label, in the end, it means nothing but just categorize people in their roles so they can't ever change.

Seperate to weak and the strong in this world... by labeling? Now that is just silly.

AYY-BEE-CEE
Feb 20, 2005, 06:47 AM
The fact that you say you were reading someone's CV suggests that you (Kodia) are in a decent position (manager or something I presume). So now you've done well for yourself, why do you need something trivial let you get to you? Seems to me it's an opportunity to sneer at the people who aren't as well off as you and you just want to keep your foot on their head as they drown in the swimming pool for your own satisfaction, rather than let people put a positive spin on their mundane life.

If you're happy you've got a decent job with decent pay or whatever then that's fine, just don't sneer because I can't see how that will help.

KodiaX987
Feb 20, 2005, 09:13 AM
On 2005-02-20 03:47, AYY-BEE-CEE wrote:
The fact that you say you were reading someone's CV suggests that you (Kodia) are in a decent position (manager or something I presume).

Actually no - I was just happening to look over a friend's shoulder as he was updating it.

Aredhel
Feb 20, 2005, 01:08 PM
On 2005-02-19 19:28, navinator wrote:

I don't understand why people feel a need to seperate everything from everything. Really. If a person is obviously smart/dumb enough, you will spot him right away. Why do you need a label anyway? Not like label cannot be misapplied to the wrong person. A label is just a label, in the end, it means nothing but just categorize people in their roles so they can't ever change.

Seperate to weak and the strong in this world... by labeling? Now that is just silly.

Categorization is at the pinnacle of human construction - it makes it more convenient for people to label one another just as it makes it easier for people to think that since they're "x" personality, they have "y" potential and thus, they have done all that they can do in a given situation. It's breaking through these labels and becoming far more than what you might ever expect of yourself that makes a person strong.

I did not mean to imply labels on weak and strong (as I thought I had effectively disowned that stigma by my "diamond in the rough" statement), but one must understand that people define themselves thereof by the responsibility they demonstrate as well as their self-possesion. It is by this flourishment that borderline morons have come to understand (very little of, truly) and have created a dissolution of differentiation between entities that are inherently seperate. By that, I mean that the doing-away with categorization has stifled the potential of many people, as everyone is an "associate" now. Not everybody is truly equal, as much as we would like for that to be. But then again, opportunity arises from every flawed human convention, so maybe the strong are those who adapt now, while the weak are those who cling to some vestige of their short reign. Or maybe society doesn't evolve that quickly?

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

geewj
Feb 20, 2005, 05:58 PM
I give you definition four of "artist" from dictionary.com

"One who is adept at an activity"

Now, when making a sandwich there are realy only two main factors.

The ingredients.

The person who makes it.

So, wanting to sell sandwiches, subway wants everyone to know that they try very hard to make those two things top notch.

They push the whole fresh ingredients, we bake our own bread, healthy good sandwiches thing well enough. The second part is letting you know that the person who is making your sandwich knows what the fuck they are doing.

And don't respond with "Well I went there are they sucked at it blah...".

You can't expact a huge chain like that to only have A+ employees who are 100% every day of work.

But yeah, if you're confused, read the definition again.

And for the walmart part.

Calling people associates rather than employees is kind of standard now. Go into Sears, Target, or most any larger place like that.

It basicaly means the same thing but is worded nicer.

AYY-BEE-CEE
Feb 21, 2005, 08:22 AM
Ok, there goes my argument. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif