PDA

View Full Version : Dreamcast Servers going down?

Ian D
Jul 15, 2002, 10:20 PM
I heard from a few people that when the PSO Ep. 1 & 2 come out, the Dreamcast servers for PSO will go down. Is this true? http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_bash.gif

Nendaiki
Jul 16, 2002, 01:09 AM
Probably, and I hope so.

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Jul 16, 2002, 09:18 PM
They may keep it for the money of the people who still pay the HL and so they won't get grifted if someone buys one right before they shut it down.

I do not hope they shut it down.

CodeName62
Jul 16, 2002, 09:25 PM
On 2002-07-16 19:18, HAYABUSA-FMW- wrote:
They may keep it for the money of the people who still pay the HL and so they won't get grifted if someone buys one right before they shut it down.

I do not hope they shut it down.

Yeah, they will probably keep them up after awhile. However I don't think they will be up that long, after the GC version of PSO is released. Hopefully I am wrong, or else I won't be able to play PSO anymore.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: CodeName62 on 2002-07-16 19:26 ]</font>

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Jul 16, 2002, 09:29 PM
Yep don't be pessimistic CodeName62 as you've told me you wont upgrade to v2 or ep.1&2 meaning your PSO life would be gone...which may be a good thing depending on how you look at it.
For me it would definitely be bad.

Dangerous55
Jul 16, 2002, 09:32 PM
They will probably set a date to stop the saled of DC HL's. And when the last one runs out they can shut the servers down.

They are not allowed to shut them down if people just bought a HL. That would be illegal I think.

Sedyne
Jul 17, 2002, 12:13 AM
Pso has allready ruined my gameining Exp. Everytime i play a new game...i'm like...this sucks. i want pso. like seirously wtf sega?!1 WhyD u hAve ot RuIn Me lol. =) mE WANT PSO Ep1+2 noW

BWS-1
Jul 17, 2002, 03:54 PM
I dunno what's wrong with ST but, I can't get my serial # and Access key to work since my HL has expired -_- I think the story bwhind the server closing well, it's just forbidding people to renew, so that after everyone's HL will be dead, they'll be no one on the servers, THEN they'll shut them down. ... I think my pso days have just ended X_x

[edit]NM what I just wrote http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif I finally got it to work ... I still wonder why it took me about 30 tries before it worked O_o

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: BWS-1 on 2002-07-17 14:09 ]</font>

VariantXL
Jul 17, 2002, 06:13 PM
I dont think they would shut the servers down without any warning for dreamcast users not especially if you werent doing anything like having hacked weaps or bringing codes online. They did let us know they were taking 4 servers down to give them to E1&E2. And if they do decide to take those servers down they may warn us once again. I just hope they give a 30 day heads up if they chose that path, so people wont renew their license and theres like only 2 more days for the servers to remain up for v1 an v2 players.

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Jul 17, 2002, 07:03 PM
On 2002-07-17 13:54, BWS-1 wrote:
I think the story bwhind the server closing well, it's just forbidding people to renew, so that after everyone's HL will be dead, they'll be no one on the servers, THEN they'll shut them down. ... I think my pso days have just ended X_x

What about the EU users who don't pay an HL? They could be online without a HL til the last day they have the servers up.

Thus if they will only shut them down once every user is gone, then they wouldn't be able to if the EU users could still play for free anytime.

But I see your point as when everyone's HL is up then they will shut them down with a prior notice so people won't try and renew.

Wynd
Jul 17, 2002, 07:25 PM
I think (and hope) that maybe ST will keep the version 1 and 2 servers up and somehow allow GC users to play Episode One with DC Ver.1 and 2 users, but have seperate servers for those playing the Episode Two part. I think I read somewhere that idea was nixed, though. Just a thought..

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Jul 17, 2002, 07:31 PM
Yes, I assumed they nixed the idea too because of the rampant cheating and the sad state of the PSO servers as of now.

Also since your DC loads/quickly creates each character in every lobby, it wouldn't be able to create the new templates of the new character classes:RAmarl,HUcaseal,FOmar.

Gryph
Jul 18, 2002, 12:54 PM
Why do you guys keep making these threads about the same thing over and over?!
The servers will NOT be shut down for a long time. SEGA has mentioned that several times.

Ian D
Jul 18, 2002, 01:07 PM
On 2002-07-18 10:54, Gryph wrote:
Why do you guys keep making these threads about the same thing over and over?!
The servers will NOT be shut down for a long time. SEGA has mentioned that several times.

Sorry, my friend posted this under my name on his DC a few days ago.

Bootilicus
Jul 18, 2002, 01:20 PM
So, let me get this straight...those who play PSO on DC will not be able to play anymore because PSO's new version will be on GC? That could suck!!!

watashiwa
Jul 18, 2002, 01:34 PM
I don't think it'd suck if they took down the DC servers. I'm for it, actually. :P

Give me more GC ships because the Dreamcast version is DEAD! Wahahaha!!!

Ambrai
Jul 18, 2002, 01:58 PM
PSO on the Dreamcast was the largest selling game on the system. Unfortunatly the game was released just as they announced the systems demise. Fortunately keeping the DC PSO Servers running is a very low maintence task. And to point out to you, over 7 years after the release of Diablo, you can still play online with it.

There is a good chance that the servers will stay up for some time.

Bootilicus
Jul 18, 2002, 02:58 PM
I guess the I just don't like the idea of a shut down for this reason...no everybody can afford to buy a new system every couple months or years...I for example, am a single mom trying to make it...I had already invested in a PS2 along with like 8 brand new games when it was a fairly new system...and someone broke into my place and stole it all..ALL OF IT..talk about heartbroken. That was like $500+ down the toilet...that's when I went back to Dreamcast.

watashiwa
Jul 18, 2002, 03:19 PM
On 2002-07-18 12:58, Bootilicus wrote:
...and someone broke into my place and stole it all..ALL OF IT..talk about heartbroken.

I hope you got an alarm for your place or at least once of those robots that comes equipped with an automatic gun that will fire at the site of an intruder.

Malkavian
Jul 19, 2002, 05:35 AM
On 2002-07-18 11:58, Ambrai wrote:
PSO on the Dreamcast was the largest selling game on the system.

errr really???? I guess many games sold more than PSO http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif

Sleet1
Jul 19, 2002, 05:50 AM
On 2002-07-18 13:19, watashiwa wrote:

On 2002-07-18 12:58, Bootilicus wrote:
...and someone broke into my place and stole it all..ALL OF IT..talk about heartbroken.

I hope you got an alarm for your place or at least once of those robots that comes equipped with an automatic gun that will fire at the site of an intruder.

How do you think that is funny Wata? O wait, it isnt.

Ambrai
Jul 19, 2002, 05:57 AM
Malkavian - Yes that is a fact.

Sleet1
Jul 19, 2002, 06:05 AM
With most ppl probably leaving DC PSO for GC pso, and then the hacking eventually no one will be playing DC PSO anymore so they will shut it down. i dont think it will take long either.

Ambrai
Jul 19, 2002, 06:11 AM
Actually Sleet1 it's all about economy. Many years after the release of Diablo, after better products were on the market, Diablo was still frequently played. The reason was because people with little money could afford computers that could run Diablo, while other games were out of their reach.

This caused a huge problem with Diablo imho, because when I checked it out again, it was really all trash people who were on it, much worse than before (if you can imagine that). I'm honestly theorizing that it has to due with a perticular class of people, who now has access to computers.

The same is true for consoles. You could pick up a Dreamcast and PSO + VMU for next to nothing right now, even cheaper if you buy it used from someone on a site like ebay. Yet people with little money cannot afford the cost of a game cube + PSO + any other accessories that would be required to connect online or even play.

It's a very consistant cycle, but should show you that if Sega corp shuts down the servers for V1, it will not be because of inactivity.

Malkavian
Jul 19, 2002, 06:15 AM
Mm is weird a online game as largest seller.... maybe you count both versions????

I thought games like sonic adventure, or soul calibur were the top sellers....

Ambrai
Jul 19, 2002, 06:21 AM
While Sonic Adventure did very well, PSO far exceeded it. If memory serves it sold over 4.3 million copys in the first month of release. And I'm actually only quoting the first release, not the expansion. These sales figures are world wide fyi. Online games drive massive sales. They appeal to alot of people, allow the shy to be socialites, and often have massive replay value.

When PSO was released, many many articles said that it was a pity that it was being released on a dying system.

Malkavian
Jul 19, 2002, 06:30 AM
In console systems online games sell less. Not everybody has internet connection.

4.3 millions?? thats a lie.... any game has sold that in DC
And after 4 months there was 300.000 users registered
I know some people maybe played it only offline but.... 4 million offline and 300.000 online? heh....

Shrevn
Jul 19, 2002, 10:07 AM
Posted: 2002-07-16 22:13
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Pso has allready ruined my gameining Exp. Everytime i play a new game...i'm like...this sucks. i want pso. like seirously wtf sega?!1 WhyD u hAve ot RuIn Me lol. =) mE WANT PSO Ep1+2 noW

You have no idea how true that is for MOST of us who got stuck playing that DAMN forsaken game. I have so many games... I dont even play because they either arent online or they dont pull me in like pso did.... IT really sucks.

Posted: 2002-07-18 11:20
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So, let me get this straight...those who play PSO on DC will not be able to play anymore because PSO's new version will be on GC? That could suck!!!

Thats called Upgrading, and buying a Gamecube.

Posted: 2002-07-19 04:11
Actually Sleet1 it's all about economy. Many years after the release of Diablo, after better products were on the market, Diablo was still frequently played. The reason was because people with little money could afford computers that could run Diablo, while other games were out of their reach.

This caused a huge problem with Diablo imho, because when I checked it out again, it was really all trash people who were on it, much worse than before (if you can imagine that). I'm honestly theorizing that it has to due with a perticular class of people, who now has access to computers.

The same is true for consoles. You could pick up a Dreamcast and PSO + VMU for next to nothing right now, even cheaper if you buy it used from someone on a site like ebay. Yet people with little money cannot afford the cost of a game cube + PSO + any other accessories that would be required to connect online or even play.

It's a very consistant cycle, but should show you that if Sega corp shuts down the servers for V1, it will not be because of inactivity.

And that ladies and gentelman, its the reason why PSO DC wont be shut down anytime soon, and like that other dude said STOP posting about this... its silly theill let us know once they decide they do WITCH IT WOTN be any time soon.

-wobba

VariantXL
Jul 19, 2002, 11:16 AM
4.3 million????? Thats exaggerating beyond exaggerating.... are u generating those numbers in your head? The game counting both v.1 and v.2 and the pc version up to THIS date MAY have sold 4.3 million. Considering sonic team didnt even HAVE 4.3 million copies of the game at launch..

inferno10
Jul 19, 2002, 12:41 PM
Here's my theory of what could happen when PSO EP I&II is released. Instead of shutting down the DC PSO servers completely, Sega-AM2 might instead convert most of the Dreamcast servers into Gamecube servers. This already happened when Sega converted JP/31:Ananke and JP/32:Leda to test the Gamecube version.