PDA

View Full Version : GC: Banned in the US?

Rabid
Feb 20, 2005, 06:04 PM
Hey everybody.

I was just at EB Games looking for a GCN Modem Adapter or w/e its called to go online with PSO.

I ask the guy "Hey do you have the equipment to go online with the Gamecube?" He replies "No, they recalled those things because they had alot of bugs in it and people weren't able to play online."

"Oh to bad. Ya I wanted to play Phantasy Star Online with it, its supposed to be really fun." I say
"Episode 1 and 2?" He replies, with a disappointed look in his face.

"Yes. Something wrong?" I say

"Well....Episode 1 & 2 was banned in the US. People were making illegal copies of the game so it got banned." He said

"Oh..." I say and I politely walk out.

I don't believe him. I don't beleive a word he says. Why would an entire website be dedicated to the game online? People saying "Ep 1 and 2 is great online! Its the best ever!" Etc.. etc...

So comrades, tell me. Is it true? Is playing online in PSO really banned in the US?
And where do you suggest I find the stuff to go online w/ my Gamecube? I haven't been able to find it in any stores.

Thanks guys.

Zeroy
Feb 20, 2005, 06:11 PM
I've never seen the equipment in stores. Try Ebay or an online store.

And the "banned in the U.S." stuff is probably just crap. If it's banned, then why did I see it in the store last month? Plus, if it was banned ST probably wouldn't still have the U.S. servers.

Para
Feb 20, 2005, 06:21 PM
EB in the US talks a lot of crap. I went into one and damn they were telling me all these lies.

Compared to the EB I was at my nearby shopping mall, that EB was cool cuz the guy was like about pso "that game is so goood... i must get it.. every staff got a freakin copy reserved here"

Nai_Calus
Feb 20, 2005, 06:27 PM
That's the biggest load of BS ever.

When Ep3 came out, while they only ordered the four copies they got pre-orders for(I know because I was there when the shipment came in...), the Gamestop at the mall had several BBAs, and had had them for a while. And gee, how odd, my BBA I bought then never gave me any trouble...

Jack
Feb 20, 2005, 06:31 PM
There's about as much truth to that rumour as there is to the rumour that Jimmy Carr has a soul.

Calx
Feb 20, 2005, 06:34 PM
The Eb person obviously is mixing up several things and PSO I & II obviously isn't "banned".

1: There was talk of the BBA being withdrawn because you can use it in conjunction with Episode I&II (not plus) to stream downloaded games to your Gamecube. The adaptor is still widely available in shops in Europe and at least easily available from internet shops in the US.

2: PSO is not "banned". Just buy a copy of I&II or Plus and a BBA from another shop, ebay or some internet shop. Play all you like.

Sometimes I wonder where they hire these monkeys. It's one thing to say "I heard something about a problem with piracy and the BBA, but I don't know exactly what it was about. In any case, we don't have one in stock". It's another thing entirely to start weaving crazy stories that have no hold in the real world. You don't have to be a greasy geek with no life to notice how much crap many of these game store employees spout.

GyroidFanatic
Feb 20, 2005, 08:49 PM
http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product%5Fid=900557

Type your zip code into the box to see if any Gamestops around you have the BBA.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: GyroidFanatic on 2005-02-20 17:50 ]</font>

PrinceBrightstar
Feb 20, 2005, 10:13 PM
YOu know, I bet he confused GCN with DC version

Getintothegame
Feb 21, 2005, 12:25 AM
On 2005-02-20 19:13, Jonathan_F wrote:
YOu know, I bet he confused GCN with DC version

And that would make this make sense how? The Dreamcast Version was never banned, and the US BBA wasn't recalled, was it?

Rabid
Feb 21, 2005, 01:26 AM
Thanx Gyroid, it gave me a location of an Adapter about 8 miles from where I live. I hope to see you guys Online soon.

PrinceBrightstar
Feb 21, 2005, 07:54 AM
What i mean is that Yes, the Dreamcast US servers are gone.

shinobu_seta
Feb 21, 2005, 09:34 AM
You should have seen me in Gamestop this weekend, trying to find a BBA for my friend so she could get on PSO.

"Hi, do you guys still have any Broad Band adaptors in stock for Gamecube?"

"You mean, for getting online?"

"Well...yeah."

"You can't get online with the gamecube."

"Um..yes you can..."

"No ma'am, I'm certain you can't....there aren't any online games for Gamecube."

"Um....Phantasy Star ONLINE, I've been playing it for the past 3 years, ONLINE."

"You're sure about that?"

He really pissed me off there.

"No, I guess I was just doing acid and staring at tv fuzz, thinking that I was online for the past 3 years!"

"Ma'am, are you sure you're not mistaken?"

"Listen, your job isn't to question what we want to buy, or make any judgements on us for it. Your job is you bend down behind that counter and look, and if it's not there, go ask your manager, THEN you can say 'no ma'am, we don't carry this product', now do you think you can do this for me?"

"Yes ma'am"

He then proceeded to actually do his job and asked the manager, who thankfully knew what we were talking about. The manager came and apologized and told me that they havn't carried it for a long while. I respect that.

I too wonder where they find these monkeys...

Three
Feb 21, 2005, 10:27 AM
Yeah, I quit going to stores like EB and GameStop for that very reason [above]. The people that work there know nothing about Gamecube. The employees are mostly cheap little Halo fans. >:/

I got my BBA / PSO1&2+ together at Best Buy around Christmastime 2004. No problem. =/

Rabid
Feb 21, 2005, 07:34 PM
lol....well I finally got one! Im goin online tonight! Yaaay! -Celebration music and stuff-

Ya so I decided to make it quick when I wnet and bought mine.

"Hello...Do you have any Broadband Adapters?" I say

"Yes..let me get it for you." The guy replies.

He gets one, I pay, walk out. It was nice tho, only cost me $9.99.

Thanx Gyroid! I appreciate the link you gave me, or else I never would have found one. I guess I was lucky, there was only one more in stock...Lol, anyway, I'll see all you guys Online later tonight.

PurplePower1
Feb 21, 2005, 09:33 PM
yea i just bought mine at a Gamestop. (Broadband Adapter) I also was able to get the keyboard. both for hardly anything because i traded stuff in. prices dropped too off course.

PrinceBrightstar
Feb 21, 2005, 09:56 PM
I still don't see the point in those...i'm on a dialup and i've never seen a problem with it.

StryderPSO
Feb 22, 2005, 03:39 PM
no definately not banned, maybe his specific account...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: StryderPSO on 2005-02-22 12:40 ]</font>