PDA

View Full Version : The HUs and RA's of PSO: confirmation

Skuda
Mar 6, 2005, 10:36 PM
A while ago, I posted a thread discussing the correct pronunciation of HUmar, RAmar, etc.

well, after looking through a japanese EP III players guide I picked up in the land of the rising sun, I realised that I had been pronouncing them right for the most part.

they are mostly pronounced how they are spelt.

HUmar- (h-you-maw-r)
HUnewearl- (ha-new-earl)
HUcast- (h-you-cast)
HUcaseal- (h-you-ka-seal)

RAmar- (ray-mar)
RAmarl- (ray-mar-l)
RAcast- (ray-cast)
RAcaseal- (ray-ka-seal)

FOmar- (fo-mar)
FOmarl- (fo-mar-l)
FOnewm- (fo-new-m)
FOnewearl- (fo-new-earl)

(Ra, Gi) Foie- ((raw, gee) fo-ee-eh) (like foyer)
(Ra, Gi) Barta- ((raw, gee) bar-tah)
(Ra, Gi) Zonde- ((raw, gee) zaw-n-day)

Gigobooma- (jee-go-boo-ma)

there are probably more, but I'm getting kinda bored looking though this book. if you have any questions, I can either look it up, or someone else will fill you in.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Scott_Kuda on 2005-03-06 19:37 ]</font>

Hrigg
Mar 7, 2005, 07:39 AM
Cool. I always wondered how to pronouce them correctly. Nice job. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

I like Gigobooma's pronouciation... http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

derBauer
Mar 7, 2005, 10:34 AM
I disagree with the HU in HUnewearl being pronounced any different than the other HU characters. The way the Japanese articulate their words is different than what people of this country say anyway.
Based on the phonology of those HU characters it does no make sense for HUnewearl to sound different.
I also disagree with the RA tech phonology. In my opinion, it should be "Ruh-Bar-Tuh", etc.
Finally in Gigobooma how is the decision made for the first G to be a soft G and the second G to be hard?
It looks like whoever wrote the book you are reading assumed that there is one culture of language in the whole word, with Japan being that one. However, each culture determines the correct elements of language, and those pronunciations are not exactly corresponding with the rules of the English language.

navci
Mar 7, 2005, 10:54 AM
On 2005-03-07 07:34, derBauer wrote:
I disagree with the HU in HUnewearl being pronounced any different than the other HU characters. The way the Japanese articulate their words is different than what people of this country say anyway.
Based on the phonology of those HU characters it does no make sense for HUnewearl to sound different.

It actually makes a lot of sense for "HUnewearl" to be different. Let's take a look at the vowel that follows the "Hyu": Humar has a open "Ah", so does HUcast, and Hucaseal. What does HUnewearl has? A "Nyu". If you apply that Hyu sound, follow by the "Nyu", you have something like a "Hyu-Nyu" cluster. It is hard on the tongue, and funny on the ear. It makes perfect sense for at least one of the vowels to get changed to make pronounciation easier. Since "HU" is the attaching sound and hence more flexible to change than say the "new" part (which also happens to be a word that we all know pronounced a certain way).

Plus, that is how HUnewearl become "Hunny".

The "Ray" sound in the ranger class comes from "RAY-n-ger". I think it makes perfect sense for them to be pronounced that way. Of course, then you go back to the Hunters and wonder why it is "Hyu" instead of "HON", but then I could argue that comes from the word "Human" since that is what the word "Humar" look like anyway.

Lastly. PSO is a Japanese game. It was created by the Japanese people. They can make the official prounciation whateverthehell they want it to be. Whether a soft g or a hard g, or calling something "Supercool" and have it pronounced "Iamanass". Whatever they like it to be, it can just be that.

astuarlen
Mar 7, 2005, 01:35 PM
*Slips on silly discussion hat*

On 2005-03-07 07:54, navinator wrote:
It actually makes a lot of sense for "HUnewearl" to be different. Let's take a look at the vowel that follows the "Hyu": Humar has a open "Ah", so does HUcast, and Hucaseal. What does HUnewearl has? A "Nyu". If you apply that Hyu sound, follow by the "Nyu", you have something like a "Hyu-Nyu" cluster.

I disagree here. "New" is pronounced noo, not nyu, at least where I live. (Maybe you say it differently in Canada? http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif) Hyoo-noo-wearl seems easy enough and more logical than Ha-new-earl in my opinion.

I'm no linguist (obviously) but I would think "Hunny" evolved from "Hunewearl" based on--I don't know the word for it--the spelling and appearance of "HUnewearl" rather than phonetics or the actual sound of the word. This seems only logical, since, on GC (and DC and PC?) at least, communication is through typing instead of speaking. Besides, either way you pronounce it, the "HU" portion of "HUnewearl" doesn't sound like the "Hu" of "Hunny".

The "Ray" sound in the ranger class comes from "RAY-n-ger". I think it makes perfect sense for them to be pronounced that way. Of course, then you go back to the Hunters and wonder why it is "Hyu" instead of "HON", but then I could argue that comes from the word "Human" since that is what the word "Humar" look like anyway.

Well, "mar(l)" denotes human, so I'm not sure why they'd call someone a "Human human". http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif But you never know! The best theory for Hyu I can come up with is the awkwardness of saying Huh-mar/marl/cast/caseal. Then again, different languages are based on different sounds, and what seems clumsy in one may be ordinary in another.

Lastly. PSO is a Japanese game. It was created by the Japanese people. They can make the official prounciation whateverthehell they want it to be. Whether a soft g or a hard g, or calling something "Supercool" and have it pronounced "Iamanass". Whatever they like it to be, it can just be that.

True. In fact, I don't know why there even has to be a widely-known official pronunciation, if PSO is mainly discussed sans-sound. I do find it odd that "Gi", which I've always thought indicated some sort of hierarchy of power, should be pronounced differently depending on the context if it is a prefix. Of course, there are plenty of examples of that sort of irregularity in English, but PSO lingo is fabricated almost entirely and so limited that one would expect consistency.

Just some ideas for discussion. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif

derBauer
Mar 7, 2005, 05:22 PM
On 2005-03-07 07:54, navinator wrote:
It actually makes a lot of sense for "HUnewearl" to be different. Let's take a look at the vowel that follows the "Hyu": Humar has a open "Ah", so does HUcast, and Hucaseal. What does HUnewearl has? A "Nyu". If you apply that Hyu sound, follow by the "Nyu", you have something like a "Hyu-Nyu" cluster. It is hard on the tongue, and funny on the ear. It makes perfect sense for at least one of the vowels to get changed to make pronounciation easier. Since "HU" is the attaching sound and hence more flexible to change than say the "new" part (which also happens to be a word that we all know pronounced a certain way).

I disagree with almost 100% of what you wrote. You are trying to make things fit, rather than accepting the syntax and phonology of the words when they appear as part of the English language. The fact of the matter is that (like I said earlier) each language has its own cultures. The pronunciations of words as prescribed by the book about PSO in Japanese, do not carry over into English.
I don't know why it was even brought up, but there is no "RAY" sound in Ranger. There are two sounds, rane + jur. If you think the Japanese are saying the correct way of ray + n + jur, that is fine, but I am only worried about English, and that book is wrong, and you are wrong.

RavenTW
Mar 7, 2005, 09:32 PM
On 2005-03-07 04:39, Hrigg wrote:
Cool. I always wondered how to pronouce them correctly. Nice job. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

I like Gigobooma's pronouciation... http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Gigaloboom, heehee.