PDA

View Full Version : Need Dance Dance Revolution Advice

astuarlen
Mar 7, 2005, 01:17 AM
I just played DDR (Extreme, I think) at a friends house today, and now I totally want to buy it for myself. For anyone out there who has DDR, could you recommend which version (I have PS2 and XBox, so I could use either) to get and also what kind of dance pad to buy (there are so many options! Since I'm a complete DDR noob, I don't want to spend lots of money, but I've also heard that some kinds fall apart too easily and are really slippery). So what do you think I should get? http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Mixfortune
Mar 7, 2005, 03:03 AM
Well, here's the thing. I don't have the Xbox version, but from what it seems, the Ultramix 2 songlist isn't that bad... but I can't be certain since I haven't seen the whole thing.

So, some quick pros and cons on the PS2 versions... (I wouldn't really recommend any of the PS1 versions... they don't have speed mods):

US versions by the way:

DDR Max
Pros: One of the better songlists of the three, not as many licenses (if you don't care for licensed songs)... and the licensed songs fit more with DDR than the ones from the other versions, DDR Max also features more catchy songs.
Cons: Little to no difficult songs, but that's not a big deal if you're relatively new to it... the more difficult songs are still fun to play, so it's not really a downside unless you're looking for pure difficulty. Less background video variety (if you rather play with background videos off, this isn't an issue).
Overall: Good for starting out and learning the manuevers on... earlier version, generally easier songs, and has options like speed mods that can make it more playable (all the PS2 and Xbox ones have these options, though, but the combination is nice here). If you're getting a US version for the PS2, might want to give this one a go.

DDR Max2:
Pros: IMO, features a lot of the more fun songs to play (So Deep, Xenon, Tsugaru), licenses (if you like licensed songs)
Cons: A lot more licenses (if you don't like licensed songs), though IMO the licensed songs aren't as good for DDR as the licensed songs in the other two.
Overall: Depends on how you feel about US licensed songs... the thing about Max2 licensed songs, is that they just don't seem to fit well for DDR. I usually feel awkward playing them... and not because it's a US licensed song... they just didn't choose well enough is all. Max2 > Max only if you know the songs and prefer the ones on Max2... other than that, Max is a safer bet than Max2.

DDR Extreme:
Pros: Mini-games and Mission Mode. That's it.
Cons: The sound effects in the menus are really, really bad... the menu is the crappy one from early, early versions, but that's not dealing with the actual game itself... so now I shall point out the really major flaw in DDR Extreme for the US versions...

...and that is that control settings CANNOT be turned off. Control settings were made so that you can play with a controller, instead of needing a pad. Well... this means that triangle works as up, X works as down, etc. The problem is, if you're using a pad, the shape buttons take up the corner slots. Well... if you're playing, and part of your foot is holding down the corner that presses "triangle", then if your next step pressed the up button, it misses, because it's registering as you holding the button down already. This may sound like a "lame" complaint that it can't be turned off (it used to be toggleable in all other versions), but when you think about it, the corner buttons shouldn't be active in the first place. It doesn't "make it more challenging"... it's just a lame lack of a setting that should be there...

That and the songlist is nothing too special... a few worthy songs here and there... but overall... no.
Overall: Lack of toggleable control settings ALONE makes this not worth a purchase... it's more of a supplementary version... get it if you have the others already, and even then it's iffy.

---
Of the three PS2 ones, I'd say get Max. When playing at home, it's usually that one, then occasionally switch to another version for a few songs only... overall, Max is better as a single package.

However, if you're able to order and play import discs, get the JP Extreme... much, much better... difficulty of songs is stable and consistent, there's a good variety of genres that's actually "danceable", most number of catchy songs, with the bad songs being in minority, the better menu system, the better sorting system... yeah.

Course, maybe someone can get in here with opinions about the Xbox ones...

-------
-------
Now, for pads. First pad, you might want one of those cheap $20 flat ones to start, but as you progress and do faster songs with higher difficulties, those flat pads will rip apart within a week... and which point a foam pad may serve you well. They don't slide much, they can withstand faster songs longer, and they're more comfortable (cushy, and can sense the arrows since they're raised). Those can last a few months if you're careful with them. And if those die, you can sometimes use the foam and case to put in a cheap flat pad... though that's risky, it could work as an in-between... of course, don't do that unless the normal foam pad is dead.

Then, there's metal pads... got the one we have now for $300... yeah it's steep, but you can use shoes on it, and it holds well. It's our longest lasting pad, and it still works perfectly (after a while on other pads arrows start malfunctioning, as a sign it's close to dying), and we haven't even had to repair it once... and we're doing stuff that would tear through a flat pad in a song or two...

Pad Recommendation: If you're starting out, not doing fast or difficult songs, and learning the manuevers, look into a flat pad. If you need to, staple it to a large flat piece of wood to lengthen it's life and keep it from getting as little wrinkles as possible... wrinkles kill flat pads (since it just makes the sensors misplaced) Check the bottom of the pad often for tears in the bottom... duct tape them when you can... if the inside sensors themselves get wrinkled, you're screwed...

As you get better, definitely look into a foam pad... the price may have gone down (been a while since I've gotten one) but they could go for around $80... still a bit steep... but will last longer than its same cost in flat pads if you care for it right, and feels more comfortable.

Hrigg
Mar 7, 2005, 07:34 AM
Just has Mixfortune mentioned, Max 1 is probably the best one to start out with. It's got IMO the best and most catchy music on it. For the pads also, since you're new to it, get a crappy one. Since you're not doing difficult and fast paced songs, it will last for a while.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Hrigg on 2005-03-07 04:34 ]</font>

Legato2471
Mar 7, 2005, 10:28 AM
I personally, never enjoyed the Xbox versions of DDR. I hated DDR Extreme for the PS2. After playing it at the arcade, the home version is shameful. A little trick to get better, is after getting really good on standard, if you are having trouble in heavy, is to play standard speed X 1.5 or 2. Then try to do heavy. This also works going from light to standard.

~DiZ

astuarlen
Mar 7, 2005, 12:57 PM
Wow, thanks Mix! http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_eek.gif You seem to know a lot about this. Can't wait to get started. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Mixfortune
Mar 7, 2005, 01:03 PM
On 2005-03-07 09:57, astuarlen wrote:
Wow, thanks Mix! http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_eek.gif You seem to know a lot about this. Can't wait to get started. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Yeah, been playing a few years now... though I think my legs are starting to feel it now, can't do a good number of the faster songs as well anymore... ah well, I can still play Doubles http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

But yeah, I could have made that post a lot less wordy http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_redface.gif

Aunt_Betty
Mar 7, 2005, 06:19 PM
I still think the Jaoanese home versions are better. Well worth the price....

I tend to like the songs on the MAX mixes. They seemed catchy and energenic. The songs on Extreme (home) never attracted me, while the arcade version does.

Evil_Althena8
Mar 7, 2005, 06:25 PM
I have DDR Max2 for PS2. I decided to buy the flat DPR 2 dance pad by Instinct...it's the best flat pad IMO. The ignition pads (which are sturdier and have raised arrows) cost like $100...just not worth it. If you're hardcore you could get the metal pad, but that's even more costly. I'd just get the regular old pads. As far as the games, I've played the old DDR japanese versions for PS1. I like mix 4 and 5. DDR Max2 is nice though, very good selection of songs. As far as the others go, I'm not really sure

Have fun!

Reenee
Mar 7, 2005, 11:59 PM
EXTREME US is a sham. Piece of shit. Get MAX or MAX2. Ultramix 2, however, IS A GODSEND. *THE* absolute best...IF you're already a hardcore player. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Nai_Calus
Mar 8, 2005, 02:43 AM
Man, after playing it in the arcade ONCE, sucking horribly and not passing a single song, and then playing it again a couple of years later on a home soft pad, I already hated home DDR. And it was still a working pad that had been modded to not move around so fucking much. There was no feel, no nothing. Couldn't pass a 3-footer to save my life. Couldn't full-combo jack. Went to the arcade a couple days later. SSed a 2-footer and passed a 4-footer on the first try. The difference? I could actually feel where the fuck the arrows were.

Do yourself a favour, find an arcade near you with a machine. You can't replicate that shit.

I just wish I could find a fucking 3rd Korean2 these days. Everybody EVERYWHERE was all "OMG MAX2!" and then "OMG EXTREME!" when they came out. -_-; All the machines I know of have long since been 'upgraded'. >_< Hey, how's about a little VARIETY? >_< 5th Mix? 4th Plus? Hell, even Max! Or even Max2 again for the songs they dropped for Extreme. XP

I happen to LIKE the Olde School 3rd Mix interface. >_>

The one that really sucked balls was 4th mix. Ugh. Genres and ugly confusingness.

Reenee
Mar 8, 2005, 10:06 AM
You haven't played often then, KnuX. (Long time no see, BTW. :3 ). You can make the significant change of pad style if you play enough at an arcade and at home.

There's also timing issues. Arcade versions are stricter than home versions. It's harder to get Perfects at the Arcade than it is on a home console. And it doesn't matter what region you're in.

I wrote this on comparing how EXTREME US simply sucks against everything else and how Ultramix 2 just OWNS: http://neoseeker.com/forums/index.php?fn=view_thread&t=476313

Nai_Calus
Mar 9, 2005, 04:27 AM
Why the fuck do morons keep spelling my name wrong, and truncating it to the WRONG FUCKING PART? 9_9

And I've played a ton of DDR, dipshit, which is why I know exactly how craptastic and inferior the home versions are.

Stricter timing is good for you. It's not that hard to get perfects in the arcade, if you can't, then you suck. >_>

I never bothered with 'learning' home DDR, because hey, guess what, I've never lived more than 15 minutes from a DDR machine. Machine > home pad. Period. Home DDR isn't DDR. It's a cheap knockoff. XP

Now, you'll probably say 'But what if the urge strikes at 4:19AM?'. Well, one, it doesn't. Two, even if I did bother fucking with home versions, our house doesn't have a proper foundation(What's with this crawlspace bullshit back here? Hey, fuckers, pour a motherfucking SLAB alrady!) and the floor transmits vibrations nicely. Meaning anything over a 3-footer would knock shit over. Two, the walls are made of paper. Noise goes everywhere. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif So why bother, when any time I could play DDR without pissing other people off, I could simply hop in the car and drive to the fucking arcade and bust out some Extreme? And I can get my Dam Dariram fix at the arcade, too.

I just really, REALLY wish we still had the 3rd K2. You have no idea.

LIFE IS NOT WHOLE WITHOUT BA KKWO SSR. T_T

Reenee
Mar 9, 2005, 10:04 AM
Play UM2 DAMMIT. ><

Nai_Calus
Mar 9, 2005, 12:20 PM
On 2005-03-09 07:04, Reenee wrote:
Play UM2 DAMMIT. ><

I don't own an Xbox, don't WANT an Xbox, and I'm still not interested in home DDR. XP

FIDELCASTRO
Mar 10, 2005, 11:48 PM
Ultramix sucks...i hated it so much

Mixfortune
Mar 10, 2005, 11:58 PM
On 2005-03-10 20:48, FIDELCASTRO wrote:
Ultramix sucks...i hated it so much

That's a... useful statement.
Why does it suck? What's bad about it compared to the others?
And, not sure if you were replying to Reenee or anything, but he said Ultramix 2.

Reenee
Mar 11, 2005, 12:57 AM
Ultramix ONE sucked.

Ultramix TWO, however, is the best U.S. mix, HANDS-FUCKING-DOWN.

KCET, who's handled practically every PS/PS2 US release did everything right till...well, it went a little downhill in MAX2, but EXTREME US bombs.

KCEH, however, who's handled the Ultramixes only, is actually overseeing DDRFreak and has a few reps actively participating, so they are taking in comments and stuff. In fact, they have a forum thread that's open until Monday on letting you comment on FIVE of the songs seen in ULTRAMIX 2 only (with Songpacks 7 and 8 involved...#9 if that gets out in time).

FIDELCASTRO
Mar 12, 2005, 11:16 PM
i havent played UM2. the first was was terrible. the lack of songs was nauseating, as well were the ones that were present. meanwhile, DDR Max and Max 2 have songs that are both catchy and challenging. they also have a beginner mode, which i definitely could have used when i started. ddr extreme...neh. not so great. if i had more money, i would get the actual system, like they have at arcades.