PDA

View Full Version : Shadow the Hedgehog: The Game

Deathscythealpha
Mar 9, 2005, 08:32 AM
Everyone must watch this video, it has to be seen to be believed.

http://blazefire.mooglecavern.com/sekrit/shadowthehedgehog.avi

Yes, move over Max Payne or any other gun toting badass, Shadow is here.

http://gc.advancedmn.com/images/media/shadowthehedgehog_006.jpg

http://gc.advancedmn.com/images/media/shadowthehedgehog_004.jpg

http://gc.advancedmn.com/images/media/shadowthehedgehog_005.jpg

Scrub
Mar 9, 2005, 08:41 AM
...this is a JOKE, right?

Omega_Nova
Mar 9, 2005, 09:45 AM
It's on Sonic Cult so I'm pretty sure there serious after their description. there is also a Gamespot review, but god in the words of Sonic Cult, there is still time to kill youselves!

Deathscythealpha
Mar 9, 2005, 10:07 AM
No joke, this is the next 'Sonic' game. A very different direction for Mr Naka, supposedly going to be a darker take on the Sonic Universe.

Im wondering how long its going to take for someone to kick up a stink and get the 'politically incorrect' Gun removed from the game.

Oh, and I wouldnt let Sonic Cult be the be all and end all of Sonic stuff. Most of the stuff on that site has been stolen from other sites and the guy who used to run it was the biggest cock on the face of the planet.

Shadowpawn
Mar 9, 2005, 12:54 PM
About time they gave someone other than a robot (or someone with a robot suit) a gun in the sonic games. As long as they don't go overboard with the maturity (Shadow swearing = Something Awful) I'm fine with the change. The sonic series was suppose to be about having edgy characters but as time progress (or when Mortal Kobmat came out >_>) sonic just looked tame .

I looking forward to what they might do with this...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Shadowpawn on 2005-03-09 09:55 ]</font>

Outrider
Mar 9, 2005, 02:02 PM
Ok, several things that need to be fixed here -

1.) Get rid of the friggin' handgun as it is. There's no place for realistic-looking weapons in the Sonic universe, so at least don't make it look like a Desert Eagle or some other generic handgun. I can live with the fact that it could be fun to throw in some shooting mechanics, but at least make it look like something out of a Sonic game.

2.) Why are they still using Dreamcast-level graphics? This game should definitely look better.

3.) A GUN!? Whoever said that the one thing the Sonic series needed was automatic weapons deserves to be dragged out in the street and beaten with a burlap sack full of doorknobs. What the Sonic series needs is less non-Sonic game types. If the shooting aspects detract from the Sonic gameplay, then there's something very wrong.

Plus, Shadow's really not that interesting of a character as far as I'm concerned. Then again, I haven't touched Sonic Heroes, so I don't even know how he managed to survive Sonic Adventure 2.

Daikarin
Mar 9, 2005, 02:46 PM
Well, Naka's japanese fans were buggin' him for a long time that they'd like to see Sonic with a gun, so it's not bad that he listens to them.

Let's hope it works, especially since it looks a lot like its predecessors. Which means, aside from the gun factor, almost nothing new.

Feels like playing a whole game with Omega, from Sonic Heroes.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Even_Jin on 2005-03-09 11:53 ]</font>

shinobu_seta
Mar 9, 2005, 03:25 PM
There was a poll at sega (which is still up I believe) which asks you what you would like to see done in a Sonic game, which character you'd like to see get their own game next, etc.

I suppose this was the result of that research. It had all sorts of questions asking you what you thought of other games like ratchet and clank and sly cooper, even max payne I think, and how they related to Sonic.

I'm very very sad now *quivering lip*

This is proof of the human race's stupidity -_-

Reenee
Mar 9, 2005, 03:30 PM
On 2005-03-09 11:02, Outrider wrote:

2.) Why are they still using Dreamcast-level graphics? This game should definitely look better.

Sonic Team been like that, usually forfeiting graphics for gameplay. Also, I'm sure the Xbox and Gamecube versions (if any) would look zillions better...AND run better. Sonic Heroes blew chunks on the PS2 while it was smooth on GC and XB.

3.) A GUN!? Whoever said that the one thing the Sonic series needed was automatic weapons deserves to be dragged out in the street and beaten with a burlap sack full of doorknobs. What the Sonic series needs is less non-Sonic game types. If the shooting aspects detract from the Sonic gameplay, then there's something very wrong.

I'm not seeing any good spinoffs, have you? Sonic Heroes was a way of returning to the roots, which is good. Crash has mostly done good as a platformer as well... Mario...ehhh...the Mario Parties are getting rediculous. The sports-oriented games are doing well, however, I'll give them that, as well as the RPGs. And what about the Sonic GBA games? Except for Battle, they're all solid.

Or, instead of all that, I can just say: Don't bash it till you rent it.

Shadowpawn
Mar 9, 2005, 04:05 PM
Don't be afraid of change, (although Shadow doesn't seem like a guy who would use a gun. >_>)

Scrub
Mar 9, 2005, 04:12 PM
If there's bullet-time in this game I'm going on a rampage to kill the producers.

PJ
Mar 9, 2005, 04:47 PM
I dunno what you people are talking about.

Throw out the gun, and you've got an awesome looking game.

BOC
Mar 9, 2005, 04:56 PM
now usually, id be the first person (shooter -hardy har har) to say guns in games can only be encouraged.

but in a sonic game?!? the shooting levels in sonic adventure 1&2 where okay..ish. i mean, the whole point of sonic is running fast around big loops and smashing robots to shit!

not wielding desert eagles! i mean come on! I watched the trailer and i think im not alone in saying that the usual gameplay looks like the most exciting part!

but im with yas on the whole graphics thing. with next-gen consoles only about 6 months away, they really should be cranking up the visuals. and im not usually concerned about graphics!

but... who knows, maybe it'll be a bloody good game. and at least its not sonic getting all up in arms.

but you gotta wonder what sonic team have been smoking this last year: first turning pso into a card game thingy, and now sonic into a shooter?

least no-one can say that they aren't afraid to try new approaches to old games.

PEACE!!!

Alighieri
Mar 9, 2005, 05:08 PM
A Sonic game with GUNS......This either means that they`re TOTALLY out of ideas or they smoke/drink too much these days - SAD

Hrigg
Mar 9, 2005, 05:29 PM
Sonic with guns, I never imagined this. Heh, I don't think it will be very good, though. I'll wait for the reviews of it to know for sure.

KodiaX987
Mar 9, 2005, 05:45 PM
Sounds like a workable formula. Kind of a mix between Sonic and Fur Fighters. Yep, good stuff. I'd probably involve the gun a bit more since right now it seems to do more of a job of aerial ground-clearance equipment (notice the video only showcases Shadow hanging in midair and shooting everything dead - the gun seems to serve no other purpose.) If they find more good uses for the gun, then things should work out all right. A little hands-on demo should clear things up a little too.

Oh yeah, to those of you integrist zealots who think raw graphics are today's new all-mighty religion: I played Rez not too long ago. The game is essentially wireframe and almost textureless. And yet, it looks shatteringly beautiful.

Outrider
Mar 9, 2005, 08:59 PM
On 2005-03-09 14:45, KodiaX987 wrote:
Sounds like a workable formula. Kind of a mix between Sonic and Fur Fighters. Yep, good stuff. I'd probably involve the gun a bit more since right now it seems to do more of a job of aerial ground-clearance equipment (notice the video only showcases Shadow hanging in midair and shooting everything dead - the gun seems to serve no other purpose.) If they find more good uses for the gun, then things should work out all right. A little hands-on demo should clear things up a little too.

Oh yeah, to those of you integrist zealots who think raw graphics are today's new all-mighty religion: I played Rez not too long ago. The game is essentially wireframe and almost textureless. And yet, it looks shatteringly beautiful.

Kodi, I'm the last person who would argue that graphics are a necessity. Obviously everybody took that point to mean something different.

I don't care if it uses Pong paddles for every character in the game - if it's fun, it's fun. I just personally don't like the SA2/SH look, and they can definitely do a lot better.

You can't say graphics aren't important when it comes to creating a believable world. They're far from the most important factor of a game, but it's nice to have something pretty to look at if the processing power allows it. Also, I don't think anybody would be dumb enough to say Rez is an ugly game.

EDIT: Oh, and I'd like to add that after watching the trailer again, some of those large environments with the huge statues falling over look quite pretty. They should definitely look into more of those. [/edit]

On 2005-03-09 12:30, Reenee wrote:

I'm not seeing any good spinoffs, have you? Sonic Heroes was a way of returning to the roots, which is good. Crash has mostly done good as a platformer as well... Mario...ehhh...the Mario Parties are getting rediculous. The sports-oriented games are doing well, however, I'll give them that, as well as the RPGs. And what about the Sonic GBA games? Except for Battle, they're all solid.

Or, instead of all that, I can just say: Don't bash it till you rent it.

I don't even know what point you're trying to make. Platformers can have spin-offs? Well, yeah, obviously. The game could still be good? Duh. But to me, this sounds like a bad idea. Seriously, though, what exactly are you trying to say? I think there's a bit of a misunderstanding here.

I also stated that one of the main reasons I'm against this is it just seems so unrelated to the rest of the Sonic universe. If you take away his Desert Eagle and give him some Robotnik-looking weapon, I'll pretty much shut up completely. I can live with shooting being included in platformers. However, I also feel that the shooter mechanics in the Adventure games weren't too hot. I mean, I liked the levels in the first Sonic Adventure game, but they were pretty much short and sweet. I was not a fan of the Tails/Robotnik levels in the sequel, however. As I've said, I haven't played Heroes, so I don't know what the shooting was like in that game or if there was any at all. I just hope that they can fix up the mechanics a bit to make them more entertaining.

I just can't help but feel like this shooting is taking away from the speed of the running levels, and it just seems like a mistake.

But who knows, maybe it'll still be fast enough to satisfy my high-speed urges. Like some sort of platformer/on-rails shooter hybrid.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Outrider on 2005-03-09 18:30 ]</font>

Eihwaz
Mar 9, 2005, 09:04 PM
On 2005-03-09 17:59, Outrider wrote:
But who knows, maybe it'll still be fast enough to satisfy my high-speed urges. Like some sort of platformer/on-rails shooter hybrid.

That's what I would like to see. High-speed platforming with shooting. Could be very awesome. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_eek.gif

And none of the pics worked. >_>

EDIT: The video wasn't so bad, either. Liked the super high speed stuff. ^_^

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Eihwaz on 2005-03-09 18:08 ]</font>

Shattered_weasel
Mar 9, 2005, 09:37 PM
I seem to be in a the minority here but I think this game could be some fun.

I never really cared for the craptastic storyline that the games gave you so I started to read the comics. In the comics the characters that didn't have powers used guns. Fine by me. Shadow using a weapon though seems a little...wierd.

As long as it is fun.

I couldn't watch the video. Gotta do something to the computer so I am getting this from what you guys are saying.

Deathscythealpha
Mar 9, 2005, 09:43 PM
Hmm, seems to be a real mixture of opinion going on here, mostly agaisnt the game.

My opinion? Firstly, I would love to get some of the shit Sonic Team are drinking, as they must be having a blast on it!

More seriously though, the video was a complete 'WTF' moment for me this morning, but the game could show some promise. I was getting tired of the stale 'Sonic must stop Robotnik again!' storylines that every Sonic game has, so taking the same universe and playing out a new story could inject some life into the world. Robotnik may possibly play a part in this game, but it wasnt Robotnik himself who created Shadow, so that hopefully means a new antagonist.

The gun is really wierd for a Sonic game, but then again Knack the Weasel originally packed heat, so its not something completely new. As long as it is not a gimmick and adds something to the gameplay it should be fine.

Im going to keep my eye on this, as something cool could come from this. Or we get another stinker of a game, who knows.

And crap, the links dont work do they. Ill get on that again at some point as the first image is really funky.

HUnewearl_Meira
Mar 10, 2005, 12:21 AM
I'm having trouble discerning what the problem with the gun is. Speaking as a looooong time Sonic fan, I honestly don't see that there's a problem with adding this new mechanic into a single game that isn't actually about Sonic. Heck, from seeing the video, the addition of the gun seems to be an intersting new twist on an old formula.

Quite frankly, this game *will* be added to my library.

Outrider
Mar 10, 2005, 12:47 AM
Sam Logan, the creator of the webcomic Sam and Fuzzy summarized my feelings pretty well:

So, earlier today I was reading the text description of the just announced Shadow the Hedgehog game. And though the concept of a game starring Sonic's most fearsome pallette swap made me a little weary -- especially one that takes place in the "darker side of Sonic's universe" and features "Shadow packing some heat" -- I tried to keep an open mind. I mean, how bad could it be?

Then I saw the trailer.

So yeah, pretty bad. Comically bad.

Now, these kind of changes are never going to please everyone. For example, some hated the shift from the wacky, all-ages platformer Jak and Daxter to the darker, more mature, more weapons-oriented Jak II. But even if you thought it was a move in the wrong direction, at least it was done competently. The style and tone and art direction and character design were all altered from the original Jak and Daxter to fit the more "mature" motif.

But this Shadow game is another story. It looks like they took Sonic Heroes -- which itself is the kiddiest-looking Sonic game ever -- and shoved in some guns. They aren't even cartoony or science-fictiony guns: they're oversized replicas of actual weapons. That's right, this time around, that wacky Shadow is packing a bloody uzi.

I'm not offended, I'm just astounded. My brain does not even know how to interpret this information. This isn't a mature Jak II-styled evolution, or even an X-TREME Loonatics-esque update. It's Mickey Mouse with firearms.

Sam Logan

Reenee
Mar 10, 2005, 01:53 AM
If Shadow is the Ultimate Lifeform, as stated in SA2...

OHHHHHHH!

Nisshoku
Mar 10, 2005, 11:47 AM
Pretty much taken from the-magicbox.com....

- Sega of America announced they will release a brand new Sonic the Hedgehog title for unspecified platform this holiday season, called Sonic Adventure 3: Shadow of Hedgehog. The game will have a darker theme and emphasis on action, and for the first time Sonic can shoot down opponents with his new gun.

And frankly, seeing as I've never played Sonic Heroes, and SA2:B was my first GC game, I can say that Shadow had a definite good storyline.

Neith
Mar 10, 2005, 01:12 PM
WTF? Uzi's in a Sonic game? This is either gonna be a huge surprise and be playable, or suck badly. I have no problem with guns in the game, but they could have made them cartoon-style, so they suited the type of game more, you know, like a egg cannon (blaster http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif woot), or some other comical weapons. Not a frickin' Uzi. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_disapprove.gif

Shadowpawn
Mar 10, 2005, 01:16 PM
This is mostly likely before he met Robotnik, a Egg blaster wouldn't fit in time wise. I think GUN will be the orginzation you'll be fighting thought out most of this game...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Shadowpawn on 2005-03-10 10:51 ]</font>

PJ
Mar 10, 2005, 03:05 PM
If this were before he met Eggman, this would take place during his time on the ARK... and he never left that place until Maria shot him down to Earth.

Then again, it doesn't explain how he was fozen in that capsule, but it does look like the same capsule he was shot from. Meh, we should hopefully find out >_>

I just wished they picked one of the better names...

Shadowpawn
Mar 10, 2005, 05:26 PM
The whole thing with ARK is apart of his false memories...he never met Maria.

HUnewearl_Meira
Mar 11, 2005, 09:44 PM
On 2005-03-09 21:47, Outrider wrote:
Sam Logan, the creator of the webcomic Sam and Fuzzy summarized my feelings pretty well:

That's right, this time around, that wacky Shadow is packing a bloody uzi.

Dude... It's a grey slab in his hand that shoots magenta-colored projectiles... Even in the depths of the game's "darkness" it's not very realistic. Quite honestly, given the atmosphere they seem to be trying to build, I think it fits in quite nicely. Even beyond that, my goodness man, did you say the same things when Sonic Adventure introduced realisticly designed cities, cars, buses and NPCs to the series? Given the promise of a darker atmosphere, this game is very much in line with Sonic Adventure's style.

PJ
Mar 11, 2005, 09:59 PM
On 2005-03-10 14:26, Shadowpawn wrote:

That makes no sense... what? @_@

And now that Meira has pointed it out...

On 2005-03-11 18:44, HUnewearl_Meira wrote:

On 2005-03-09 21:47, Outrider wrote:

That's right, this time around, that wacky Shadow is packing a bloody uzi.

I find it quite funny how they call Shadow wacky http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Omega_Nova
Mar 11, 2005, 11:07 PM
On 2005-03-11 18:59, SUPAH_CHAO wrote:

Though I never beat it a assume he's talking about sonic heroes, which I really don't consider to be part of the sonic series. However I thinkg were down the road to having to redo the whole sonic series again...

PJ
Mar 11, 2005, 11:15 PM
In Sonic Heroes, Shadow has absolutely no memory at all. We don't even know if the Shadow you play as is the real Shadow (Of course, I have my own theory as to why it is the real Shadow, but that's irrelevant >_>). And no where in SA2 does it say anything about a false memory.

Omega_Nova
Mar 11, 2005, 11:36 PM
This game could be really good if they just redo the gun, it makes it look aweful and a pirated copy of SA2 >_<

HUnewearl_Meira
Mar 12, 2005, 04:11 AM
On 2005-03-11 20:15, SUPAH_CHAO wrote:
Of course, I have my own theory as to why it is the real Shadow, but that's irrelevant.

I love a good theory. Please elaborate.

Deathscythealpha
Mar 12, 2005, 04:35 AM
On 2005-03-11 20:36, Omega_Nova wrote:
This game could be really good if they just redo the gun, it makes it look aweful and a pirated copy of SA2 >_<

To tell the truth i think the gun seems ok the way it is. Theres a few clipping problems and Shadows run animation doesnt seem to take the wieghty piece of equipment into account, but seeing as theres quite a while before this is due to come out these will no doubt be changed anyway.

Daikarin
Mar 12, 2005, 07:11 AM
Let's hope they include a coupe of unlockable characters. And knowing Naka, he probably will.

Shattered_weasel
Mar 12, 2005, 08:38 AM
On 2005-03-11 20:15, SUPAH_CHAO wrote:
In Sonic Heroes, Shadow has absolutely no memory at all. We don't even know if the Shadow you play as is the real Shadow (Of course, I have my own theory as to why it is the real Shadow, but that's irrelevant >_>). And no where in SA2 does it say anything about a false memory.

Sorry for going off topic a little bit, but could someone explain what the story behind Shadow is in the games.

I know the story behind him in the comics and seeing how the comics and games are usually two different things can someone help.

PJ
Mar 12, 2005, 09:51 AM
On 2005-03-12 01:11, HUnewearl_Meira wrote:
I love a good theory. Please elaborate.

I doubt my theory can be even called good http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Spoilers of course

Basically, the only reason why I think the Shadow you play is the real one is

a) He's seperated from all the other Shadow robots at the beginning of the game. He's by himself, which is just really weird.

b) When Metal Sonic gets his data from Shadow, "Ultimate Lifeform Data, completely copied" or whatever, he gets it from the Shadow you play. If the Shadow you play were a robot like all the others, he could have gotten it from any of the other Shadow robots on Eggman's ship.

But, eh, maybe I'm just crazy >_>

Shadowpawn
Mar 12, 2005, 11:18 AM
On 2005-03-11 18:59, SUPAH_CHAO wrote:

Actually, I was talking about two scenes in SA2 were they hint (but never explictly say) that Shadow's memories are false. The scene were Rouge discovers the "true" Shadow on ARK (Dark Side) and when Amy pleads to Shadow for help (Final Side)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Shadowpawn on 2005-03-12 21:47 ]</font>

Outrider
Mar 12, 2005, 12:44 PM
Even beyond that, my goodness man, did you say the same things when Sonic Adventure introduced realisticly designed cities, cars, buses and NPCs to the series?

Actually, yes, yes I did. Although, I liked the addition of NPCs from the start.

I've come to terms with it, for the most part.

HUnewearl_Meira
Mar 12, 2005, 07:47 PM
On 2005-03-12 09:44, Outrider wrote:

blah blah blah ... Sonic Adventure ... blah ... realisticly designed ... [stuff]... blah blah blah ...

Actually, yes, yes I did. Although, I liked the addition of NPCs from the start.

I've come to terms with it, for the most part.

I think you'll come to terms with Shadow having a gun. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Getintothegame
Mar 12, 2005, 07:55 PM
Oh God, I thought a Shadow game would be fun, but the gun is throwing me off. It doesn't fit in any Sonic game.

HUnewearl_Meira
Mar 13, 2005, 12:44 AM
Yeah, well, they had to add SOMETHING to change the gameplay around. Otherwise it would just be Sonic with a palette swap.

Outrider
Mar 13, 2005, 03:16 AM
On 2005-03-12 21:44, HUnewearl_Meira wrote:
Yeah, well, they had to add SOMETHING to change the gameplay around. Otherwise it would just be Sonic with a palette swap.

And hover boots!

Puppet_Papaya
Mar 13, 2005, 03:26 AM
Jesus, Sonic Team has done it again...
First sonic heroes, and now this!? It looks just like sonic heroes with a gun...

Deathscythealpha
Mar 13, 2005, 01:29 PM
It most likly is the Sonic Heroes engine powering the game, so that may be why it looks so similer. Isnt to much of a bad thing as the graphics engine in SH was quite nice, the gameplay just let it down so much.

PJ
Mar 13, 2005, 01:33 PM
I don't think it was even the gameplay, but the infinite times they spoke in a level, plus the billion+ glitches in the game. >_>

I still like Sonic Heroes, but that's an opinion not shared by many http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Fefnir
Mar 13, 2005, 02:15 PM
Arg, Shadow with a gun? The guns are almost as big as him... ST is getting desperate.

RedBoxHunter
Mar 13, 2005, 10:17 PM
This game SCARES me. As if they haven't ruined Sonic enough already... http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_nono.gif