PDA

View Full Version : Anybody enjoying the Classic Phantasy Stars?

Omega_Nova
Mar 10, 2005, 09:13 PM
I recently picked up Phantasy star 3 at EB games because it was used and $3. I've gotten pretty interested and am now searching for the rest of the series... anybody else like the classics?

jnblz316
Mar 10, 2005, 09:53 PM
aren't they coming out with the trilogy for the ps2? If they do then i'm definately going to get it. i never played the phantasy star on genesis (I was a nintendo fanboy at the time ^_^).

hucasts_rock
Mar 10, 2005, 10:04 PM
I bought the Phantasy Star 3-in-one game a while back, which contains Phantasy Stars 1, 2, and 3. I haven't gotten too far on either three, but I might continue on them. It'd be interesting to learn the backround to PSO and what games began what we now have as PSO today.

Everyone keeps saying that Phantasy Star 4 is the best of them all, but I have yet to get my hands on it. I'd like to try that out, though.

kutulu
Mar 10, 2005, 10:49 PM
I had the Phantasy Star Collection for my gba and I beat and finished it well over a year ago. I havent gone back to it since because I lost all the maps I made of the dungeons for PS1 and PS2. And I never could get into PS3, it always felt like the stepchild of the PS series. Then I finally got PS4 for my Genesis, and I love it to death. Definately my favorite of the series, and the battle against Dark Falz's multiple forms is so awesome.

Omega_Nova
Mar 10, 2005, 11:13 PM
Phantasy Star three was very tough for me to get into, but once you learn the connection you realize that the game is quite good.

Nai_Calus
Mar 11, 2005, 12:28 AM
I'm playing PSIV currently. I like it a lot, but I haven't gotten very far... Need to level more so I can beat Juza.

...Again, since I'm using a ROM and the one I have is buggy and likes to freeze going into battles, and I accidentally overwrote my save state once when that happened. XD;;;

Omega_Nova
Mar 11, 2005, 11:37 PM
On 2005-03-10 21:28, Ian-KunX wrote:
I'm playing PSIV currently. I like it a lot, but I haven't gotten very far... Need to level more so I can beat Juza.

...Again, since I'm using a ROM and the one I have is buggy and likes to freeze going into battles, and I accidentally overwrote my save state once when that happened. XD;;;

Six hours of gameplay lost because it decided not to record save state that day! >_< But I just beat PS4 and the ending was really, IMO, more touching than the FF series.

HUnewearl_Meira
Mar 12, 2005, 04:09 AM
On 2005-03-10 19:49, kutulu wrote:
Then I finally got PS4 for my Genesis, and I love it to death. Definately my favorite of the series, and the battle against Dark Falz's multiple forms is so awesome.

There's no single battle against "Dark Falz" with multiple forms in PSIV. You confront Dark Force 3 times in the game, in 3 different forms, and the mother of them all, The Profound Darkness at the end of the game, which has 3 forms, and the final dungeon, The Abyss includes "Prophallus" as a random encounter monster, which is more or less the original Dark Falz from the first Phantasy Star. PSO's terminology has spoiled you, my friend.

A common concept among the Phantasy Star community is that a "Dark Falz" is a young, underdeveloped "Dark Force".

Consider, Dark Force is not the end-all and be-all of Algol's evil entity. Dark Force is only a physical manifestation of the Profound Darkness's bitterness and hatred of the Great Light for imprisoning it in the Abyss.

opaopajr
Mar 12, 2005, 04:24 AM
yes. right now i am playing Phantasy Star 2 and I am just about to finish Green Dam, the last of the dams i have to do. unfortunately, it's all a redo, i've been through most of this before, but i lost my save so... restart. and in PS2 restarting takes a very long time.

PS3 i am at the cusp of one of the endings, the other save is being used for one of the branches.

PS4 have a save towards the last few dungeons.

PS1 left it somewhere in Dezolis.

wanna finish PS2 before the rest though.

HUnewearl_Meira
Mar 12, 2005, 05:06 AM
On 2005-03-12 01:24, opaopajr wrote:
wanna finish PS2 before the rest though.

I hope you did you leveling on the Blastoids in Climatrol. That's your best opportunity to do some heavy leveling. PS2 is the hardest of the series by far, due to the massive leveling requirement. You've chosen the hardest of the series to finish first.

It's also my favorite. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Rain_1
Mar 14, 2005, 11:52 AM
I snagged a flash cart for my genny (yes, you heard it right) and i'm playing some phantasy star 2 right now and damn... the leveling up is really insane... i just started the game and i'm having to do some insane leveling up on Arima... just till i get 1200 meseta so i can bvuy the sword (which i did last night, but i though i was strong enough to go take on the scroudels on the east)...
lets just say that the third "floor" of the maze wasn't a happy journey...

if only i had used ryuka before the main dude (which i always forget the bname since i renamed him) died... too bad i didn't (and also forgot to save)..
oh well.. back to level 2 (which i'm playing right now... to level up all over again.. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif)

HUnewearl_Meira
Mar 14, 2005, 10:30 PM
Here's a tip, Rain_1: Any time you find an enemy that will reproduce in large numbers, spend some time leveling up on them. Blastoids in Climatrol are probably the best-- they give a fairly large amount of EXP compared to others in the area they're found in and only do a few HP in damage.

The strategy for dealing with this sort of monster is simple. Hold your party back from just slaughtering them. Have only one or two people attack to begin with. When there's only one left, don't attack at all. Wait for it to reproduce. Heal if needed. Attack with only 1 person when there are two. Rinse. Repeat.

Rain_1
Mar 15, 2005, 12:06 AM
That sounds mostly boring...
i rather walk around killing monsters.. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

I shall not use the ancient form of recoboxing!

HUnewearl_Meira
Mar 15, 2005, 12:42 AM
http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif You'll come around. Phantasy Star II is far more leveling-intense than PSO. While many set level 200 as their goal in PSO, you can realistically beat it by level 130 or even sooner. In Phantasy Star II, however, you'll find yourself disappointed to discover that you're stuck at the end of the game at level 30, still needing another 15 to 20 levels to be able to stand up against Dark Force. Those will be the longest levels of your life.

Nai_Calus
Mar 18, 2005, 08:53 AM
I'm playing PSIV right now. I suppose it would have made more sense to start with, say, PSI, but I'm the kind of person who reads the newspaper from the BACK page of the section fowards. >_>

Whoever designed Kuran needs to die. Also the people responsible for Nurvus, but.

And I need to stop wandering randomly in dungeons and going almost directly to the boss. Dark Force hurts. >_>;;;

opaopajr
Mar 19, 2005, 05:39 AM
hahaha, oh dear, designs of nurvus and kuran getting you down? oh lord, what fun you are in for in the other games, especially PS2. when people talk about overwhelming dungeons they often point example to PS2. beautifully made, grindingly complex.

this is like my 4th going through of the game (without beating it! argh) because i keep losing my saves (evil bastards who save over my games, die! must die!). but yeah, leveling with monsters that divide is a great tactic. i bothered to actually lvl amy, hugh, and shir to around 15 before finishing climatrol. do you know how hard it is to lvl with just amy and hugh with rolf and nei? fun, but you really have to plan your battles differently. by the way, vol kicks ass. now i have rudo, kain, and anna around 16~17 and off to finish green dam and head for the prison satellite.

quick tip, actually basic tip, always, always, always, ... did i say always yet?... always, have a telepipe and escapipe smoewhere stocked on your party. you only need one of each, and after ryuka and hinas is learned you'll probably have those two pipes follow into the end of the game, but it is easily the most prudent course of action. and buying oodles of mates is a great idea, unless you are saving up $ for equip. once nei goes, the freeflow reservoir of res goes too. everyone else has really useful spells and burning it up on out-of-combat healups becomes a dangerous game. never know when you'll need those more powerful techs to stay alive and then hightail it back to town.

lately, since i'm getting tired of redoing all this stuff, i'm just using bitmaps of the dungeons to beat them faster. once i get where i was (finishing off the last of the nei gear -- yes, i was that close...) then i'll go back to exploring on my own.

Nai_Calus
Mar 19, 2005, 06:03 AM
After I finish IV, I'm gonna go back and do I, and then II.

*stabs the Air Castle* Fuck, does this place never end? Oh well, I need to level like whoa anyway. >_>;;; My highest-levelled character is L27. >_>;;;

And Chaz keeps dying. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_disapprove.gif Chaz, then Rika, then Wren, then Kyra, then Rune, in order of frequency of getting pwned.

Anyone else think the whole 'Rune is Lutz, sort of' thing is REALLY FUCKING CREEPY? >_>;;;

Omega_Nova
Mar 19, 2005, 08:43 AM
On 2005-03-19 03:03, Ian-KunX wrote:
After I finish IV, I'm gonna go back and do I, and then II.

*stabs the Air Castle* Fuck, does this place never end? Oh well, I need to level like whoa anyway. >_>;;; My highest-levelled character is L27. >_>;;;

And Chaz keeps dying. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_disapprove.gif Chaz, then Rika, then Wren, then Kyra, then Rune, in order of frequency of getting pwned.

Anyone else think the whole 'Rune is Lutz, sort of' thing is REALLY FUCKING CREEPY? >_>;;;

I found it a bit wierd, mind you I was still trying to figure out how Wren got from PS3 to PS4 at that point, in air castle I just gave up on figuring that out, Anyways, back to relevance by that point Ian a good place to level up is that tower on Dezo (If its still there, I can remeber if it is as it took me around 6 months to get through this game, on and off) If its not there, do some guild quests, drive around Dezo randomly pwning monsters in your land rover and ice digger, then come back with lots of healing items (I used Rika, what a pain).

HUnewearl_Meira
Mar 19, 2005, 12:09 PM
On 2005-03-19 05:43, Omega_Nova wrote:
I was still trying to figure out how Wren got from PS3 to PS4 at that point

He didn't. They're androids of the same type, but not the same designation. To borrow from the Japanese games, Phantasy Star 3 has an android named Shiiwren, and Phantasy Star 4 has an android named Fuorwren.

There are many other Wren-types encountered in the fallen space craft on Motavia.

Omega_Nova
Mar 20, 2005, 12:12 PM
Ahh, thankts for the explaination

HUcast_X
Mar 20, 2005, 10:20 PM
Yea PS2 was my fav. classic, even though I couldn't get the actual version. I could never beat it without using game genie http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif