PDA

View Full Version : Resistance vs Def/Evp

slimer1231
Mar 14, 2005, 10:23 PM
I was just wondering what other people look for in armors and shields. I don't think I ever really look at the resistaces and I was wondering if they really even make a considerable difference to begin with. I mainly just go for def and evp.

So long story short, is magic resistance worth using a "weaker" (def/evp wise) armor/shield?

Thanks for your opinions!

Scythapox
Mar 14, 2005, 10:44 PM
On 2005-03-14 19:23, slimer1231 wrote:
I was just wondering what other people look for in armors and shields. I don't think I ever really look at the resistaces and I was wondering if they really even make a considerable difference to begin with. I mainly just go for def and evp.

So long story short, is magic resistance worth using a "weaker" (def/evp wise) armor/shield?

Thanks for your opinions!

I'm not to sure I was going to use the same Stragey to defeat Dark Falz 3 as I did in hard for very hard use 4 resist saints and a Drain type handgun type but I forgot to equip the resist on and his grants was only doing like 150 damage to me which is nothing when my HP is 606 It comes in handy at the right time I'd say

Saiffy
Mar 14, 2005, 10:46 PM
Depends on the area/boss

Assuming it is ultimate, resist/devils are good for caves, temple, ruins, seabed and control tower. On Dark Falz first two forms resist/blizzards are good.

Having said that, shields like Delsaber's Shield and Light Relief are excellent where you need EDK

T1K
Mar 14, 2005, 10:52 PM
It ultimately comes down to what kind of character you use and your mode. If you play in ultimate, EDK becomes more important.

If you are a hunter, I think EDK isn't a priority because def and evp is more important IMO. However if you are a ranger or a FO then ya, i personally would rather have a higher EDK resistance.

All just my opinion though.

Skorpius
Mar 14, 2005, 10:59 PM
Aesthetics.

Nai_Calus
Mar 14, 2005, 11:08 PM
On 2005-03-14 19:59, Skorpius wrote:
Aesthetics.

The number one reason I've never bothered hunting anything better than a Secret Gear. >_>

Almost all visible shields == Ugly.

The one I DO use, Kasami Bracer, I wasn't looking for. Plus, while it is ugly, it's fun to have what looks like a giant insect eating your arm as a shield. :D

Skorpius
Mar 14, 2005, 11:24 PM
Flowen's Shield is a radioactive parasite.

Arnot
Mar 15, 2005, 12:09 AM
Yeah, if i'm just running through the game I go for DEF/EVP. But before I step into the ring with the likes of Falz(etc.) I put on my shield w/ the highest EDK. And as far as using one for aesthetics, looks, I usually put on my Tripolic shield or White Ring.

Saffran
Mar 15, 2005, 10:53 AM
Arnot, you DO realize that EDK is wasted on Darf Falz?

I have tons of different shields and armors to adapt to all situations. In Ultimate, barring Forest, you will most certainly go for magic resistance over def/evp.

Why barring Forest? Because the 1050 EVP limit grants you almost invincibility in there... Moths, Tollaws and Hildelts will still hit you though.

I've taken the habit to equip Super/Perfect Resist units when fighting strong bosses (although there arguably aren't any strong bosses in that game, but well). I also change Shield and Armor when I feel like it.

At level 78, you have access to Celestial Shield and Guardian Armor, which are ok for most practical uses. There are other, better shields avaliable, but they are somewhat rarer at your level.

Arnot
Mar 15, 2005, 02:31 PM
On 2005-03-15 07:53, Saffran wrote:

http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif Well now I do... But I agree with hat you said about the Forest. My EVP is around 1025 and I can deflect most of the attacks dealt to me. And I was looking on the armor shop for my lv67 RAmarl the other day and Celestial shield boosted my EVP by like 100 points, knocking it into the quadruple digits range. While at the same time only decreasing my DEF by nearly 40.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Arnot on 2005-03-15 11:32 ]</font>

trueprophecy
Mar 19, 2005, 11:21 PM
if your playing in a place where megid flys get dark resis at >100 so u r immune other words def/evp all the way baby

Arnot
Mar 20, 2005, 12:18 AM
On 2005-03-19 20:21, trueprophecy wrote:
if your playing in a place where megid flys get dark resis at >100 so u r immune other words def/evp all the way baby

Actually DEF/EVP doesn't affect your resistance to megid. =/ And about getting EDK>100, yeah good luck w/ that. The only way to somewhat accomplish that would be to use Shield of Delsaber and 4 Perfect Resists. And that still doesn't make it ( SoD=45 EDK + 4 PR = approx. 95 EDK? ) Even w/ that you are gonna sacrifice your slots to resist an attack that is very easy to dodge, if you just pay attention.

EDIT: Oh yeah, you may be able to pull off >100 EDK if you have all of the stuff that I mentioned above equipped with a Brightness Circle.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Arnot on 2005-03-19 21:20 ]</font>

Tycho
Mar 20, 2005, 12:49 AM
There is a number of shields that can be useful for different reasons. Here are the ones I use:

Safety Heart: Standard shield, good defenses.
Attribute Wall: Good resistances, for at Falz, etc.
Light Relief / Delsaber Shield: good EDK, for at Torrs and Mils
Regenerate Gear Advanced: HP and TP regen, rocks in N ~ VH, and the first two areas of both episodes in Ult, if you have good evasion and depend on TP
Resta Merge: For lethal areas like PW3 and PW4. For male Forces there is no excuse to not wear this, don't dare entering the lobby without it.
S-Parts v1.16: +15 ATA, yay for casts
Gifoie Merge: Try to instantly kill Darvants at Ult DF before they even appear? Only purpose I can think of.

Some other ones like Green Ring, Kasami and Rico's Glasses and Earrings can be cool too, but I don't have those.

99% of the time, go for DFP and EVP. Sometimes use EDK.

I'm too tired, this post is bad.

Bu5ta
Mar 20, 2005, 01:42 AM

In Ultimate, barring Forest, you will most certainly go for magic resistance over def/evp.

Why barring Forest? Because the 1050 EVP limit grants you almost invincibility in there... Moths, Tollaws and Hildelts will still hit you though.

1) Falz uses Megid after taking your soul, so I wouldn't say that EDK is "wasted" just not needed quite as much as ELT is needed. (is it "ELT" the right abbr.?)

I use Cure/Shock or something with a lot of resistance, since I don't particularly appreciate getting shocked, over and over again by Hildelts.

As far as Def/Evp vs Resistance, I say it depends. Now if you wanted to compare Standstill vs Attribute Wall then I would say Standstill hands down. But if you put Attrbute Wall vs Secret Gear, then I would say Attribute Wall simply because the slightly higher Def/Evp won't make as big a difference as the resistance will.

Saiffy
Mar 20, 2005, 01:50 AM
On 2005-03-19 22:42, Bu5ta wrote:

In Ultimate, barring Forest, you will most certainly go for magic resistance over def/evp.

1) Falz uses Megid after taking your soul, so I wouldn't say that EDK is "wasted" just not needed quite as much as ELT is needed. (is it "ELT" the right abbr.?)

I use Cure/Shock or something with a lot of resistance, since I don't particularly appreciate getting shocked, over and over again by Hildelts.

As far as Def/Evp vs Resistance, I say it depends. Now if you wanted to compare Standstill vs Attribute Wall then I would say Standstill hands down. But if you put Attrbute Wall vs Secret Gear, then I would say Attribute Wall simply because the slightly higher Def/Evp won't make as big a difference as the resistance will.

If you can't dodge that megid than you just shouldn't be playing PSO :/

You also will survive pretty much any megid, save del lillies and gran sorcerors with just 60-70 EDK, which can easilly be pulled off with two resist/devils and a shield of delsaber/light relief

Brightness circle would help too, although I have never used one so I can't comment too much on that http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Bu5ta
Mar 20, 2005, 01:54 AM
On 2005-03-19 22:50, Saiffwin wrote:
If you can't dodge that megid than you just shouldn't be playing PSO :/

You also will survive pretty much any megid, save del lillies and gran sorcerors with just 60-70 EDK, which can easilly be pulled off with two resist/devils and a shield of delsaber/light relief

Brightness circle would help too, although I have never used one so I can't comment too much on that http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

I never said I can't dodge it, lol, I was just stating the facts. I agree with you though 60-70 is about all you would need. I have about 55ish while doing Temple and I NEVER die.

Akulamenuri
Mar 20, 2005, 05:52 AM
The only times I switch up shields for resistances are for Caves and Temple (Shield of Delsaber's 25 EDK helps alot). I also slap on my Celestial Shield in Dark Falz battles for Fire and Ice Resistance. I really need the fire resistance since his stupid Rafoie doesnt knock me down any more.

Neith
Mar 20, 2005, 07:30 AM
Im too keen on my DFP/EVP stats, so I end up neglecting my resistances. (15EDK anyone? http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif ) The only time I re-equip to increase resistances is:
Resist/Blizzard- Gol Dragon/Dark Falz (or Perfect/Resist)

Occasionally a Resist/Storm against Gal Gryphon, other than that, I stick with DFP/EVP, since most Megid is dodgeable easy enough- yesterday's PW4 being the exception. Del Lilies>me http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif