PDA

View Full Version : Battle: Canada's Quarters

kevlar_pso
Mar 15, 2005, 12:55 PM
I know that certain vending machines here in the US of A will not take an American Quarter. Which can be kind of annoying. Unless that is, there is another vending machine you can stick your "foreign currency" in and get the currency you need by hitting the return button. I was just curious if our Canadian PSOers to the East(hey, I'm in Alaska remember lol) or to the North if you're in the lower 48(well, Northeast if you're in Hawaii ha) have any problems w/our American currency? Be it pennies-dollars.

kevlar_pso
Mar 15, 2005, 01:31 PM
On 2005-03-15 09:55, kevlar_pso wrote:
I know that certain vending machines here in the US of A will not take a Canadian Quarter. Which can be kind of annoying. Unless that is, there is another vending machine you can stick your "foreign currency" in and get the currency you need by hitting the return button. I was just curious if our Canadian PSOers to the East(hey, I'm in Alaska remember lol) or to the North if you're in the lower 48(well, Northeast if you're in Hawaii ha) have any problems w/our American currency? Be it pennies-dollars.

I mean to say Canadian Quarter in that 1st sentance. What can I say, I'm pretty tired. . . . .

Nai_Calus
Mar 15, 2005, 05:06 PM
Why is it annoying? The machine is set to detect if something is an American quarter. The tolerances on this are pretty damned high, so high that some of them wouldn't recognize the state quarters when they came out. As far as the vending machine is concerned, a Canadian quarter is as unacceptable as a cardboard disk.

Even if it did accept it, the machine's owner would be getting ripped off, due to the exchange rates. Though if the dollar keeps tanking... XP