PDA

View Full Version : 2 GCs + 1 PC Network w/Router HELP!!!

Bu5ta
Mar 17, 2005, 06:16 PM
Ok, here is my dilemna. I just recently got Cable and I have it all up and working fine, but my PC doesn't have an Ethernet hook-up/card/whatever you call so I have to hook the Modem up to the PC using the USB port. Now I would like to hook up 2 GCs as well. Now I know that I need to get a Router for this, but I'm unsure if there is anything else that I need to be aware of before purchasing a Router. First off is what I'm proposing possible? If so, is there anything I need to look for particularly such as DHCP Server junk, that sort of stuff.

Any help would be great, and any suggestions on Routers would be great as well.

Oh and my PC is running Windows 98SE. I dunno if that helps or not. =D

VioletSkye
Mar 17, 2005, 06:47 PM
A few basic things to keep in mind.

1. USB is not a good way to connect to the internet. yes it will work if you don't have a NIC but it was never really meant to hold an internet connection. Pick up a NIC for $10-$15 and bag the nasty USB connection.

2. Depending on the router, it may (or most likely) may not have a USB port to connect to your PC. So where as the 2 GCs (with 2 BBAs) can easily be connected to the router, your PC may not be without having a network card installed. You can find newer routers that have a USB 2.0 adapter though.

3. For most cable providers, all you need to do is connect the router to modem and then powercycle the modem (meaning to physically remove the power cord from the modem for 15-20 seconds and then plug it back in to make sure the router gets an IP from your ISPs DHCP server.) The router itself will act as a DHCP server (at least all the newer ones do) automatically and assign network IPs to each machine that is connected to it. Basically connect your modem to your router and then connect the 2 GCs and PC to the router, then powercycle and you should be good to go.

As for router brands, you'll likely hear from fanboys of each brand saying why this or that is better, but 3 solid contenders are Linksys (now owned by Cisco) D Link and Netgear. Personally I use a NetGear wireless and it works flawlessly.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: VioletSkye on 2005-03-17 16:41 ]</font>

TrekkiesUnite
Mar 17, 2005, 07:10 PM
and i use a d link and it works great and a good place to look for an NIC(Network Interface Card) for good prices is Tigerdirect.com but you might want to open your pc up and check what interfaces you have open and available. The best one to use would be PCI which is a short white port on the motherboard with a long slot and a short slot in it. the other which is much older and out of date and is not plug and play compatible is ISA which is a long black slot that looks as ancient as it is. you really wann make sure you get the right card to match your slot and I urge you to go for the PCI and make sure you have an open one becuase ISA requires you to set IRQ jumpers and such and is a real pain in the ass to work with and its very slow.

Bu5ta
Mar 17, 2005, 09:01 PM
Ok, well I just bought the following Router for $25:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=67255&item=5760040810&rd=1

Its a Linksys 10/100 4 Slot Router. It can serve as a DHCP Server as well. =D (yay!)

Now I have also noticed that it needs special "cords" that connect to it. Whats the difference between the two types? One type is called 10/100 and I forget what the other is. They are the cables that go from the Modem to the computer. Does it matter which I choose?

Also does anyone have any suggestions on what type of NIC card to buy?

Thanks!

Meaky
Mar 17, 2005, 10:13 PM
I got me a netgear NIC for 5 bucks at best buy, works like a charm. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

TrekkiesUnite
Mar 18, 2005, 04:20 PM
The 10/100 is the transefer rate meaning it can transefer 10 MB per second to 100 MB per second basically a CAT 5 or a CAT 5e cable will do the job which is basically your common ethernet cable just make sure when you go to buy one it is CAT 5 of CAT 5e or it wont go fast enough. for your NIC just get one that has the same transfer rate, but before you do this i ask you is it a normal or wireless router becuase if its a normal router you will have to get an NIC while if its a wireless you can either get an NIC and use an ethernet cable for you PC and two GCs or just get the wireless card designed for your router and use that for your PC and the Ethernet cords for your GC. But make sure you have an open PCI slot if you go wireless because i dont think they make wireless ISA cards. If you get a normal NIC than they can come in both ISA and PCI but PCI is much more recommended becuase ISA is very outdated.

Bu5ta
Mar 20, 2005, 01:20 AM
Just to keep you guys updated.

I went down to Staples and bought a NIC(PCI) card for my computer. It costed about $15 which was not a problem. I installed it today. It was quite painless and easy. It's all up and running, so I wanted to say thanks to everybody for the help.

I'm expecting to get my Router next week sometime, so I'll let everybody know how things go when it gets here.

Oh and one more question. I was browsing through the Cables at Staples and I noticed a Cat6 cable... now what the hell is that? Not Cat5, not Cat5e, but Cat6... O_o.

TrekkiesUnite
Mar 20, 2005, 02:45 PM
it can just go faster than CAT5 so it will work for you network but its not really necessary a CAT 5 will do just fine.