PDA

View Full Version : PSO on GameCube

Bootilicus
Jul 22, 2002, 10:34 AM
I've been searching and searching...can anyone tell me where I can find a site or if someone can just tell me what all will be needed to get online with the GC..I believe I read a modem will be needed. I'm thinking of investing in a GC and I want all the info I can get!

Malkavian
Jul 22, 2002, 11:55 AM
GC --------------> 149$
Memory card 251--> 19$
Modem+PSO -------> 90$ probably less for domestic release
Keyboard+ 2nd controller 60$ less for domestic release
Hunter license is speculated 12$-15$ 3 months

I think this is all you need

rbf2000
Jul 22, 2002, 12:01 PM
On 2002-07-22 09:55, Malkavian wrote:
GC --------------> 149$

+ $25 if you send it to be modded

or

+ $5 if you mod it yourself.

EDIT: assuming you want to import, that is.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: rbf2000 on 2002-07-22 10:03 ]</font>

Bootilicus
Jul 22, 2002, 12:03 PM
Thanks!

Malkavian
Jul 22, 2002, 12:04 PM
I think she asked for domestic release. Since she cares alot about money I don't think she will waste money for import it 2 months before

Rbf 2k |-| /- 5 1337 3[)¡7 5k¡11z

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Malkavian on 2002-07-22 10:09 ]</font>

Bootilicus
Jul 22, 2002, 12:04 PM
Thanks!

Bootilicus
Jul 22, 2002, 12:10 PM
FYI Malkavian..it wasn't a money issue..it just needed to know how to get online.

Thanks for your input.

Tuir
Jul 22, 2002, 01:04 PM
Since you don't need to buy a modem if you have broadband, how do you get online? Where does the adapter go?

Bootilicus
Jul 22, 2002, 01:09 PM
That is a good question.

Darrin
Jul 22, 2002, 01:15 PM
Ok, Last time I checked there is the Broadband Adapter that is the same shape as a Modem. I guess it would also fit in the bottom. Correct me if Im wrong.

Mag_Launcher
Jul 22, 2002, 01:34 PM
Gah, why are people so clueless about the broadband adapter? You won't believe how many time times i've heard "OMG GC doesn't have a BBA but has a modem, what do I do!?" (Which isn't true, btw, but they didn't take the time to find out it exists, therefore resulting in this embarrassing statement.)
But anyway... for one thing a BBA IS a damn modem. A modem is ANY type of internet connecting device. And as for the guy who asked where it goes... Where the hell did you think it went, eh? I'm sorry, it's just I think people should pay more attention to what they're saying and what information goes behind it.
And no one NEEDS a Mem. card 251 to play PSO. They can use the normal MC59 and still save all 4 characters. (However less space for the other games you might play...)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mag_Launcher on 2002-07-22 11:40 ]</font>

Zio
Jul 22, 2002, 01:36 PM
bba comes out after the modem

Malkavian
Jul 22, 2002, 01:54 PM
<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Malkavian on 2002-07-23 06:34 ]</font>

Malkavian
Jul 22, 2002, 01:58 PM
And no one NEEDS a Mem. card 251 to play PSO. They can use the normal MC59 and still save all 4 characters. (However less space for the other games you might play...)

You need a memory card to play PSO and the 251 is cheaper since is 4 times the size of the memory card 59 and only 5$ more

Bootilicus
Jul 22, 2002, 02:08 PM
Malkavian....FYI means For Your Info...you silly!

Ian D
Jul 22, 2002, 02:10 PM
FYI means For Your Information.

I want to know something about the BBA, do you have to have the modem for your computer in the same room as the Gamecube?

Zio
Jul 22, 2002, 06:06 PM
On 2002-07-22 12:10, Y0SHI wrote:

I want to know something about the BBA, do you have to have the modem for your computer in the same room as the Gamecube?

*slaps head*

ok look with the BBA you unplug the part of the line that runs from your Cable Modem to the computer out of the computer and stick it in the BBA, voila.

Kenks23
Jul 22, 2002, 06:49 PM
Argh.. I can't make up my mind on if I should import PSO when it comes out in japan or not. I don't have a GC so that'd mean I'd have to send it in to somewhere (preferably Colorconsoles.com to get that switch as well as coloring it which I have the money to do) and then importing the game.
Does anyone know if importing the game will be just like v1 and v2 in regards to playing it online the US. Meaning, if I import it, can I go online with it. I'm sure it's a stupid question but I was just wondering 'cause I didn't want to import it if I can't go online with it.

Ian D
Jul 22, 2002, 07:18 PM
On 2002-07-22 16:06, Zio wrote:

On 2002-07-22 12:10, Y0SHI wrote:

*slaps head*

ok look with the BBA you unplug the part of the line that runs from your Cable Modem to the computer out of the computer and stick it in the BBA, voila.

So that means if the GC wasn't in the same room as my computer and stuff I would have to have a long cord?

Mag_Launcher
Jul 22, 2002, 08:31 PM
Well, what do you think? A modem isn't f***ing psychic, you know. Either get a long cord and string it to whatever room the modem is in, or simply jack the modem and plug it up in your room. *Ahem, providing it's connected properly to a power source, the wall cable outlet, and your gamecube.*
Damn you people ask the darndest things.

Ian D
Jul 22, 2002, 08:37 PM
Damn, don't have to repeat yourself more then once.

Edit: Ohh, now you take it off and make me look more like a moron...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Y0SHI on 2002-07-22 18:38 ]</font>

Zio
Jul 22, 2002, 10:23 PM
i suppose the cable for your tv will work too, you can try using the cable modem with that but you will have unplug the cable from the modem and replug it into the tv if u want to watch tv.

Strider_Gren
Jul 22, 2002, 11:51 PM
On 2002-07-22 17:18, Y0SHI wrote:

So that means if the GC wasn't in the same room as my computer and stuff I would have to have a long cord?

Take your T.V. to the other if you have a 32 inch or smaller. In my situation though, my monitor has S-video ports in the back.

Tuir
Jul 23, 2002, 01:14 AM
-_- Yeesh. People sure are cruel. Yes, you're incredibly superior because you know something someone else doesn't. Have a cookie.

Parn
Jul 23, 2002, 03:19 AM
On 2002-07-22 11:34, Mag_Launcher wrote:
Gah, why are people so clueless about the broadband adapter? You won't believe how many time times i've heard "OMG GC doesn't have a BBA but has a modem, what do I do!?" (Which isn't true, btw, but they didn't take the time to find out it exists, therefore resulting in this embarrassing statement.)
But anyway... for one thing a BBA IS a damn modem. A modem is ANY type of internet connecting device. And as for the guy who asked where it goes... Where the hell did you think it went, eh? I'm sorry, it's just I think people should pay more attention to what they're saying and what information goes behind it.

If you're going to be a fucking know-it-all, at least get your supposed facts straight.

Modem stands for modelator-demodulator. What a modem does is change a digital signal from the computer (or game console) to analog so it can be sent through a phone line to another computer.

Broadband deals with a digital signal. All a broadband adapter does is allow you to send data from one computer (or game console) to another. No conversion needs to be made.

The difference is similar to basic (analog) cable, and digital cable. Basic cable's picture quality gets worse the farther you send the signal or the more you split the signal, but digital cable's quality stays consistant no matter how far you send it, so long as the signal is recieved.

So no, a broadband adapter is NOT a modem. Just because you can access the internet with both doesn't make them one and the same. Apples and oranges are both fruit, but they're not the same thing.

saffaya
Jul 23, 2002, 05:07 AM
Good job Parn.
Saves me from writing the same explanation. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Bootilicus
Jul 23, 2002, 07:59 AM
So it boils down to having a broadband or a modem to get online with the GC..correct?

Ian D
Jul 23, 2002, 09:18 AM
Yep, well, you'll need an ISP, too.

Bootilicus
Jul 23, 2002, 09:24 AM
Thanks...already have an ISP.

Ian D
Jul 23, 2002, 09:33 AM
You should be all set to go then. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

Zio
Jul 23, 2002, 02:57 PM
On 2002-07-22 23:14, Myr wrote:
-_- Yeesh. People sure are cruel. Yes, you're incredibly superior because you know something someone else doesn't. Have a cookie.

takes cookie. *eats* mmm thanks my favorite.

Zexmaix
Jul 24, 2002, 01:22 PM
Alright, let me just put you all straight and have you understand this.

Why you don't visit IGN is beyond me... sure they are pay now, but they have the lastest news on anything that hits the GCN or any other console.

Read up on these two articles:
Broadband Adapter:
http://gear.ign.com/articles/306/306366p1.html
Modem Adapter:
http://gear.ign.com/articles/306/306367p1.html

Ok, now to get your Gamecube online you need, either one of these two items above. Both of these will be released AT THE SAME TIME sometime during September & October, and they BOTH will retail at $34.99. So it comes pretty obvious that you should get the broadband unless you don't have a broadband ISP. They both connect into the same port under the Gamecube. There is a supposed limited quantity that is going to be shipped when they are first released, so be sure to get yours fast.

Then you just need an ISP to connect to the internet with. Almost all computer ISPs should work. AOL may have a few quircks as it did with the DC. Nintendo hasn't mentioned a plan for their own internet service kinda like how Sega had theirs, X-Box with the X-Box Live, and Sony/Square with the PlayOnline. But inside reports say they are steadily progressing with a good detailed plan that will be rolled out soon.

As for a hunter's license, it isn't known yet. I am still at a 50/50 stance on this. I can see where there would be one, but I can also see where there wouldn't be one.

Btw, Interact has a much better Gamecube memory card out at the moment that holds up to 16 times the amount a memory card 59 does. It is a 8 MB card just like Sony's and MS's and has over 1000 blocks of info that can be used. It is a VERY reliable card and chances of it corrupting any of your data is slim and none. One problem though is the GCN's memory card management system was only made to hold up to 124 game saves. So if you have 124 game saves that take up 5 blocks each you will still have a little over a 3rd of the card left to use, but with how the GCN was made you can't use the rest of the card. But unless all your games save in small files like that, it shouldn't be a problem. Most stuff is 10 blocks or more anyways and sports titles take up more for seasons and the like. The price for this is only $29.99 and can be found at most places. It is the Interact Mega Memory Card 16x. $10 more then the Nintendo 251 Memory Card, but yet it is 4 times bigger as well. 3rd parties always seem to create the better accessories.

If you have any more questions about the Gamecube, it's hardware, accessories, or stuff dealing with connecting to PSO v.1&2 just contact me on AIM at McGohanssjShn.

I am pretty sure this should clear up a lot of things. If there are some gaps, let me know. Read first people... it helps.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Zexmaix on 2002-07-24 11:26 ]</font>

Malkavian
Jul 24, 2002, 01:42 PM
3rd parties always make the less reliable and buggy periphericals

Zexmaix
Jul 24, 2002, 02:14 PM
LoL. Sure they do. Stick with your 251 memory card http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif. In the mean time I will be saving all my sports seasons on just a single card. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

RavenTW
Jul 24, 2002, 03:36 PM
Thanks Zex, saved me the trouble, and added some news to the peripherals as well. I salute you!

Now, if only Nintendo could make some kinda deal with Xploder, Interact, and the CodeBreaker companies, as well as the sites that make the actual codes (for example, gmsccc), then we might not have hackers.