PDA

View Full Version : US dreamcast & EU TV, will it work?

sviatgabor
Mar 22, 2005, 12:12 PM
I'm getting a power converter for my dreamcast, so I can boot my DC. I'll connect my DC to my PAL TV via RCA (colored) cables. Are the signals in transmitting unicode? Or it will not work?

Ryna
Mar 22, 2005, 01:15 PM
The signal coming from a RCA cable should be analog, not digital.

Anyways, what is the region for your Dreamcast?

If it is NTSC, it will not work if you directly connect it to a TV that only understands PAL.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ryna on 2005-03-22 10:22 ]</font>

sviatgabor
Mar 22, 2005, 01:19 PM
NTSC. Bought in the states, then moved to Hungary. Hmm, so it should work then. Better get crackin' on it.

Ryna
Mar 22, 2005, 01:24 PM
Forgot to add a "not" to my last sentence in my previous post. *sweatdrop* Anyways, the best you will probably get with your setup is a grey-scale screen.

Does your TV have a NTSC setting? I believe most TVs sold in Europe anymore have the ability to work in 50Hz and 60Hz.

Calx
Mar 24, 2005, 11:47 AM
NTSC Dreamcasts work just fine on the vast majority of PAL TVs since most support at least PAL 60, if not NTSC. If it's PAL 60 only, you'll need either an RGB cable ($5 or so from Play Asia) or to solder a wire to two points inside your DC in order to get colour. It's a very, very easy soldering job, but really, just get the RGB cable. Infinitely better picture. I only did the solder because I couldn't wait four days for my RGB cable to arrive :P