PDA

View Full Version : Anger toward Ep. 4

robb290
Mar 23, 2005, 09:04 PM
Am I the only one angry about Ep. being on the computer? Right now I can only hope it comes to the GCN because my comp couldn't handle the game and I don't exactly wan't to get a new one... so speak your minds about it being on the comp.

RedBoxHunter
Mar 23, 2005, 09:11 PM
I'm overjoyed about Episode 4 being for BB. In fact I'm overjoyed about BB in general. Connecting my GCN to my modem was the only thing keeping me offline for TWO DAMN YEARS. With BB, I no longer have to worry about this.

Cannot find DHCP. Server may not exist or may be down.

It still haunts me at night... >_<

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: RedBoxHunter on 2005-03-23 18:14 ]</font>

Tancient
Mar 23, 2005, 09:14 PM
Yay! Computer! Patches, add-ons, more stuff, more stuff, more stuff. Bigger, better (Not as crisp unless you're displaying it on a TV.)

jnblz316
Mar 23, 2005, 09:16 PM
oh yeah and you dont see lvl 4 rangers with a sange and yasha equiped ^_^

Cynric
Mar 23, 2005, 09:28 PM
PSO should have been on the computer from the beginning. Patches to fix bugs and add new content, high resolution, can be displayed on the TV if you want it to, guaraunteed (sp?) internet connection without the need for stupd modem and broadband adapters, screenshots bigger than tiny squares, and patches to fix bugs and add new content (hey, it's worth mentioning twice).

Honestly, I believe that BB is much better than GC PSO in all these aspects. Yes you need a high end GFZ card to enjoy the full potential of the game, but if you're playing to have fun and not gawk at eye-candy, then that doesn't matter. I think this is the best PSO version to date.

RedBoxHunter
Mar 23, 2005, 09:38 PM
On 2005-03-23 18:04, robb290 wrote:
My comp couldn't handle the game and I don't exactly wan't to get a new one.

You could just get a new video card. They're a lot cheaper than a brand new computer.

kazuma56
Mar 23, 2005, 09:49 PM
^ that's true, but that's that's if his PC has AGP support or any extra PCI slots, not to mention if it's for office use or general family PC.

I'm meh at this point, I want to upgrade my PC so that I could run the game better, but at the same time, don't like the fact that BB is PC only... but then again, maybe that's why so many are angered with PSU as well.....

dragoon-girl
Mar 24, 2005, 10:04 AM
I have mixed feelings about it.. the Patch thing is cool.. but I want it on my GC.. buying a new PC or video card is costly

Eanae
Mar 24, 2005, 05:35 PM
PSO 4 on PC = gift from god. No hackers, and if there are, they actually get banned! Whoo!

PJ
Mar 24, 2005, 08:58 PM
Eihwaz0: http://www.pso-world.com/viewtopic.php?topic=96757&forum=11&8 Post here, PJ http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif
PJ Supah C: Why? You mean about my GC troubles? XD
Eihwaz0: ...No, about Ep4 not being on GC D:
PJ Supah C: Oh
Eihwaz0: And also, your GC troubles http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Yeah, Episode 4 should be on GC http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Basically, all us GC people need love to http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_disapprove.gif And it could be like a version 2 to version 1, I mean, the new weapons would appear as different (older) weapons for the Episode 1 & 2 users.

And, with my ethernet card broken, I can't even uplaod snapshots from my GC. So atleast the PC version would be easier http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

robb290
Mar 25, 2005, 10:00 PM
But the GFX card itself would be more than twice the amount to download the game, not only that but I'd find it hard to play the game with a keyboard.

Calx
Mar 26, 2005, 12:00 PM
And a new graphics card won't do any good if your CPU can't feed it. And I hate not owning my characters. I hate that Sonic Team decides when I stop playing them. Doesn't matter how long they keep the servers up unless it's FOR THE REST OF MY LIFE, so don't even try :P

I don't like playing games on a PC. Connecting it to the TV is possible but a complete hassle, and that's without mentioning controllers and keyboard that won't reach.

*looks at PS2 and thinks of PSU*

Ahhhh.

Cynric
Mar 26, 2005, 01:11 PM
By the time ST shuts down the servers, it'll probably mean no one wants to play PSO anymore.

Nai_Calus
Mar 26, 2005, 01:17 PM
The existance of certain things for the DC/PC versions that we're not allowed to talk about on this site proves that you're completely and utterly wrong, Cynric.

I also hate not owning my characters. Don't want to/can't afford your HL anymore? Eh, too bad for you, but hey, if you come back soon enough they MIGHT still be there. Blah, shit on that.

I'll never play ~Zero~ again, in all likelihood, but Zero is there whenever the hell I want him. Because, hey, the GC memory card ain't going anywhere. >_>

echo-2003
Mar 27, 2005, 02:54 PM
You guys are nuts you know that right? The GC could easily give us the same experince for PSO:BB as any pc would if not better. That system has got so much untapped power it's mind blowing.

And whats this mentality of the acceptance of Patches? to me that just means the devs didn't do there jobs the first time and have just made a sub-par product.

No thanks, I'll wait for a clean crisp bug free/cheat free game that gone through extensive testing and quality checks then just go along with a game with broken code just for the sake of getting it now.

As for that having to buy a modem nonsense mentioned before, uh? didn't you have to buy your internet connection? how about the GC that your playing PSO on? geez some people complain way too much and just whine so they can get stuff for free, sad.

The only benefit to BB on the pc is the higher resolution really, I can't imagine playing PSO without a controller unless that is how they intend it to be played on the PC? Not sure on that so I'll just leave it be till i find out more.

If you ask me, Sonic team should re-do PSO 3 as an action RPG, then take that and Ep.1,2 and 4 upgrade the graphics, add new play mechanics (dodging, straffing etc.) some new music, items, weapons you name it, the whole kitten kaboodle and release it as Phantasy Star Online Collection for the cube. Just a thought http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif.

Nai_Calus
Mar 27, 2005, 03:56 PM
And a very stupid thought at that.

There is no such thing as a bug-free game. If you knew anything at all about programming, you would repeatedly kick yourself in the head for the utter stupidity of the very thought.

There is no such thing as a cheat-free game. Someone will ALWAYS find some sort of exploit.

It's kit and caboodle, not kitten caboodle. We are not talking about catfood.

Untapped potential? Oh, right, that's why it lags in Seabed with multiple players(And sometimes with only one...)

Changing Ep3 would be fucking stupid, and require re-writing most of the storyline. You may have noticed that there's a story reason for the cards. Smack yourself now, please.

There's very little realistic financial gain to releasing Ep4 on the GC at all. First of all, it would need to be ported. PSOBB is based off the Xbox version. Second of all, the market is 'saturated', such as it is, and many stores didn't even stock PSO+. What makes you think a collection would be any different? The three people obsessive enough to buy it would not make it worthwhile.

Finally, EpIV is too small to be released as a game in and of itself anyway - Only three areas(Two of which have the EXACT same enemy mix, and the third of which still uses many of the same enemies), and only one boss.

So yes, cute thought, but no, for a great many reasons.

Eanae
Mar 27, 2005, 08:11 PM
On 2005-03-27 11:54, echo-2003 wrote:
And whats this mentality of the acceptance of Patches? to me that just means the devs didn't do there jobs the first time and have just made a sub-par product.

So you program a game that's 100% hack proof and 100% perfect the first time it comes out and post this again, then maybe that comment will have some impact.

echo-2003
Mar 29, 2005, 09:10 PM
On 2005-03-27 12:56, Ian-KunX wrote:
And a very stupid thought at that.

There is no such thing as a bug-free game. If you knew anything at all about programming, you would repeatedly kick yourself in the head for the utter stupidity of the very thought.

There is no such thing as a cheat-free game. Someone will ALWAYS find some sort of exploit.

It's kit and caboodle, not kitten caboodle. We are not talking about catfood.

Untapped potential? Oh, right, that's why it lags in Seabed with multiple players(And sometimes with only one...)

Changing Ep3 would be fucking stupid, and require re-writing most of the storyline. You may have noticed that there's a story reason for the cards. Smack yourself now, please.

There's very little realistic financial gain to releasing Ep4 on the GC at all. First of all, it would need to be ported. PSOBB is based off the Xbox version. Second of all, the market is 'saturated', such as it is, and many stores didn't even stock PSO+. What makes you think a collection would be any different? The three people obsessive enough to buy it would not make it worthwhile.

Finally, EpIV is too small to be released as a game in and of itself anyway - Only three areas(Two of which have the EXACT same enemy mix, and the third of which still uses many of the same enemies), and only one boss.

So yes, cute thought, but no, for a great many reasons.

And At what point did I claim I was this masterful programmer asswipe? Your asking an electrician a question about plumbing (this is a figure of speech in case you didn't catch it). I have a basic understanding but by no means am I an expert in it.

All I'm saying is it is possible to curb cheaters, you just have to make it so hard that it's not worth the time or effort.

Second of all, I'll say it "kitten caboodle" which ever way I please thanks.

making ep3 a card based game was the mistake in the first place and re-writing it as you put it would be the smartest thing sega could do for IT's FAN. Smack yourself x5.

I agree that at this point most if not all of us are looking forward to PSU as opposed to what I proposed. Perhaps if what I wanted was stated a couple years ago then it would have made more finacial sense as it would have allowed sega more time to recoup the loses. If I wanna dream, i can do that so don't bug me.

Simply Look at other games (RE4, Zelda) that have been done on the cube and tell me that it's not possible to improve PSO graphically. Not saying the Cube is THE most powerful, but it's only a fraction behind the xbox (like 10% i think?).

Look bud, you don't like my ideas fine, but attacking me the way you did was un-called for and immature. Grow up.

echo-2003
Mar 29, 2005, 09:12 PM
On 2005-03-27 17:11, Eanae wrote:

So you program a game that's 100% hack proof and 100% perfect the first time it comes out and post this again, then maybe that comment will have some impact.

So what are you saying? You'd rather have a game filled with bugs or one that isn't? As I said before I never claimed to be an expert programmer. I'am a consumer just like anyone else and I want quality products and if that's too much to ask for well then...

Nai_Calus
Mar 29, 2005, 10:21 PM
You have programming knowledge. Really. I cry bullshit. Ooh, look, you successfully created the same hello.c that 9 billion other people already figured out, aren't you 1337?

If you knew anything at all about programming, you'd know goddamned well that something as godforsakenly complex as a video game, PSO as an example, is basically impossible to make 100% bug-free. Sure, if you spent several years simply sitting there debugging code, you might eventually come up with a way to eliminate every single bug without your fixes fucking up other things. Is it practical to do so? Hell fuck no. Make it work, get the worst of it out, and the little things are just too fucking bad, aren't they.

As has been stated. When you go and create a game like PSO, with absolutely no bugs at all, that is 100% impossible to cheat in in any way, you come back here, and then demand that Sega do it. Until then, shut the hell up and stop proving your ignorance.

Also, there's an edit button for a reason. Don't double-post, it just makes you look stupider.

Skorpius
Mar 29, 2005, 10:29 PM
Ian is my hero.

digigram
Mar 30, 2005, 02:38 PM
Come on you guys..

a high end graphics card? not needed. By high end I'm assuimg you mean the lastest 480$ GPU and what not.

all you'd need, is to order a basic 64 or 32 MB 3d card from like, newegg.com or something. you can pick up an ATI 9200 or nvidia Mx440 or something that can easily run BB. They are $30-35 US.

$35 = costly?

Saiffy
Mar 30, 2005, 02:44 PM
Why are people constantly trying to move people to BB?

For $35 I can pay for my GC HL for 3 months and still hvae $5 for whatever

digigram
Mar 30, 2005, 03:52 PM
um.. i'm not trying to move anyone..

in fact, i don't care about pso. It just makes me wonder why people think they're going to be paying an arm and a leg for a new video card in their PC's.

it's not like $100-200-300

Of course, you can pay for 3 months of your HL with $35, other people might want something new, obviously you aren't other people. so where are we saying "saif, go download BlueBurst, abandon your mere episode I and II for GC that you've been playing forever, blablablablabl etc." no one is. they're just saying they like BB and that it is much improved over I & II and will/does have added features either currently or coming soon that won't be on GC/XBOX.

no one is trying to get you.

Nai_Calus
Mar 30, 2005, 03:56 PM
Too bad the only shots of BB I've seen where the graphics were actually turned up without the person taking them lagging to fuck and back were using at least a Radeon 9800.

Personally, I've got a GeForce FX 5200. Sure, I can set the game up to not lag at all anywhere in the game. If I feel like changing every time I go somewhere worth going(CCA and Seabed), I can do the rest of the game with things like non-shit shadows! I've figured that 800x600 window mode, 16-bit colour, with everything at minimum and turned off, only lags mildly in Seabed and CCA. Unfortunately, it looks like shit. And I don't care how much better the resolution is, Seabed is boring and blah-looking without the reflections... Too bad turning that option on drops the game to about 1 FPS. In 640x480 full-screen mode. With everything else at minimum. And setting the frame skip to 2. From the looks of it, that one's a bit better, but still not quite good enough if you want it to look half as decent as the console version.

The average person who actually gives a shit about PSO, probably isn't going to have a good graphics card(Frankly, I'm surprised this one even has one, most of the time computers come with integrated graphics). Nor are they interested in buying one(The only other PC games I play are the Myst series, and even the most recent one runs just fine on my computer), for the one game they're going to use it for.

You know, I play GC PSO with my GC hooked up to the computer(Sony decided that this thing needed to have some sort of capture card). I use normal jacks, and the program they give you for working with it(I'm pretty sure it's proprietary, like the modem is, and thus won't work with anything else... At least nothing else I've tried). It's dark, and the screen is obviously small. I still think it looks better than BB. And whoa, hey, no slowdown, and ooh, look at the shiny reflections. And the cool warp effects for things like Gifoie and Telepipes that BB just isn't ever going to do because it's an Xbox port.

Plus, the other thing against BB. Need to cancel your HL? Not only can you no longer use your characters, but there's a chance that if you don't get back fast enough, they'll be gone. Fuck that shit, I can get out the GC and slap in one of my three memory cards and play with any of my TWELVE GC chars(As opposed to BB's 4), for free. Any time. Even if the cable goes out and we have no internet. Still there. No 4-hour maintainences, either(And if you're online on GC during a maint, pfft, hop servers, Japan is done by the time US hits, and if it isn't, EU hasn't even gotten there yet.

It's a nice idea, but not at the price they want for it. Halve the HL fee for BB, and I might be interested in it again. Maybe. Or maybe I'd just go back to GC online where the few remaining people I know who still play are. XP

Para
Mar 30, 2005, 04:11 PM
Actually think of it this way... If you wanted to play PSO at all.. now a computer most people have... a console you might not have and it costs money to buy a console. A computer you might already have some of the necessary requirements but the graphics card you can buy to make yourself not lag... which depends what you buy... my graphics card fx5500 256mb cost me only 79.99 CANADIAN dollars. and thats still cheaper than the GC.

Cynric
Mar 30, 2005, 05:59 PM
Frankly you don't need a good graphics card to run BB nicely. Yes you have to give up reflections, shadows, and a frameskip, but frankly I didn't care when I had a 5200. If I was playing PSO for the eyecandy, I wouldn't be playing PSO, because the graphics are utter shit no matter what the settings are on. I play it for the fun of chatting with others and enjoying weapons that are hard to find. Ripple effects matter nothing to me. If I wanted googley graphics I'd buy Half Life 2 or WoW. Since when does a pipe ripple and water glaze make a game great or not? Never. If you have fun with the game, then you have fun, regardless of extras like that. Frankly, I play PSO for the interaction with others. That's why I can't stand my offline-only GC PSO, and why I came back to BB after I thought I was going to quit.

And when I cancel my HL and wait the 90 days it takes for my account to delete, it'll means I won't want to play PSO anymore, so I won't give two shits if my characters go bye-bye. I'll still have my bleh charas on GC if I ever need that ten minute fix.

Eanae
Mar 30, 2005, 09:26 PM
On 2005-03-29 18:12, echo-2003 wrote:

On 2005-03-27 17:11, Eanae wrote:

So what are you saying? You'd rather have a game filled with bugs or one that isn't? As I said before I never claimed to be an expert programmer. I'am a consumer just like anyone else and I want quality products and if that's too much to ask for well then...

Obviously one that isn't. Bugs can be exploited, exploited leads to hacks, hacks lead to things like fsod. PC gamming is alot easier on companies as far as keeping the game as hack free, and being able to change the gamming world as possible as often, unless you use the ps2 hd like square did with ffxi, and even then, it was installed like a computer into the ps2. Conclusion? PC games will always be less hack free then a consol game.

digigram
Apr 1, 2005, 09:13 AM
PC games will always be less hack free then a consol game.
Do you mean more hack free? less would mean there would be more hacks. just checking.

Eanae
Apr 1, 2005, 09:36 PM
On 2005-04-01 06:13, digigram wrote:

PC games will always be less hack free then a consol game.
Do you mean more hack free? less would mean there would be more hacks. just checking.

Ah yes, thanks for the correction. >_<