PDA

View Full Version : PSO Wish List, mk III!

Polenicus
Jul 23, 2002, 12:41 AM
Here is another wishlist for some far off future version of PSO! Why? Because i'm bored and have nothing better to do!

Dungeons - this is what PSO is all about... but it falls kinda short, compared to some RPG's. A lot of high-level dungeons in most RPG's have as their hallmark puzzles, traps, pitfalls and hidden surprises.

PSO's dungeons have traps... kinda... puzzles... all involving those switches... and surprises... not.

Online quests remedy this a great deal, but honestly I think the regular dungeons could have been done much better. They feel too flat... PSO should take a page from First-person shooters on some aspects of level design. The levels should be more three-dimensional, have more depth... and more environment interaction. Sections of floor that give way, dumping you into another section of the maze, and more imaginative ways of opening paths than just those floor buttons.

PSO also needs more of them. More locals to play with. Ruins of the central dome, perhaps?

Storytelling - the problem with PSO is that it has a great story... and a great MANY stories. It has TREMENDOUS potential, but falls short. Why? Because it doesn't SHARE any of it.

For instance, in a regular RPG if you get a certain item and take it to someone, it can trigger a bit of background story that explains some things to you may have wondered about, and can be interesting at the same time. for instance, you find a red-series weapon, and while having it in inventory go see the principal. He recognizes the weapon as Rico's, and tells you a bit of her history.

A lot of what we know about PSO comes from sources OUTSIDE the game. We know the red weapons are Rico's because someone told us. We know DB was supposed to be some famous hunter, but we know nothing beyond that. We know bits and pieces, but even in the quests they tell us frustratingly little. Sonic Team has obviously thrashed out this wonderful storyline, but they're not bothering to TELL it to us. There's so much more going on than simply beating Falz.

And there's another thing... digging up some background info on the Ruins and where they came from would be a fascinating plot bit.

So far all the info we have is from Rico, and most of her messages are inane things like 'Watch out for Delsabers, or they will hit you.' Thanks Rico...

And while we're on the subject, if Rico's messages are supposed to be holographic recordings... why don't we get to see Rico? THAT would be neat, and not that tough to add in.

There should be some kind of training hall, will a bunch of NPC's who you can go talk to, who will give you background on things. On the world Pioneer 2 left behind, on the cataclysm that forced them to find a new home, on the different classes and their backgrounds and general society stuff we don't get to see much of.

Magic - Ah, HERE'S a big one. Think back to how you normally use magic in an RPG. Usually, you stick with physical attacks for the little weaklings as you fight through the dungeons. You have an arsenal of spells you can use, includinbg single hit spells, multi-attack spells, and a couple of really big, really draining armageddon-type spells. You stick to the small stuff mostly, but if you face a boss or get in trouble, you unlimber the big spells.

PSO is lacking something in its magic, and i believe it;s those big spells. Magic SHOULD be more damaging than normal attacks (When used by a dedicated magic user) and should be useful when you want to clear a room quickly. Instead, magic in PSO has been relegated to support, with Forces using their weapons to attack, as their spells, even at level 30 do less damage, cost TP better used for support spells, and are hobbled by type-resistances of monsters.

PSO needs stronger attack spells. It needs a few of those type-less, armageddon-level attack spells that drain damn near all your TP to cast, but are guaranteed to clear the room. considering each room usually has waves, this wouldn't unbalance things too badly, as using it indiscriminantly would leave you with no TP when you most need it. It would also give Forces something to seriously injure bosses at the beginning of a fight, and then allow the other brawlers to finish it off. THAT is how most RPG's go.

At any rate, Forces need to be given some better ofensive capabilities (At the cost of their endurance in spellcasting, of course)

WEBSTER
Jul 23, 2002, 01:34 AM
i think what pso needs besides real exploretory levels are fighting tech/ disks and strifing with certain gun weapons, also constant weather change, not go to ultimate mode to get a sunset palit but actual random weather change, i really want to see snow..... i think de fighting disk would be kool so not everyone in a battle with a saber would have the same 3 combo move, it wouldnt be the weapon of choice that decides what combo you do but the disks you find. imagin someone finds a level 30( not all classes could learn lvl 30 like magic techs)fighting disk they could do like hado huckin hurrician uppercut move in there selected combo or something. that would be kool!

ScAReCrOw
Jul 23, 2002, 07:01 AM
well, as for story of pso, it's just the on going story from phantasy star period. but, i agree if they elaborated a bit more it'd probably be better cuz if you haven't played all of the phantasy stars, then you are pretty much in the dark about the story.

Mag_Launcher
Jul 23, 2002, 08:21 AM
Why don't we get to see Rico? THAT would be neat, and not that tough to add in...

Are you f***ing blind!? Boot up PSO and beat Dark Falz on Very Hard or Hard. See that human body flying from the disappearing final form of Falz? That's Rico, pay more damn attention next time.

Ian D
Jul 23, 2002, 09:06 AM
On 2002-07-23 06:21, Mag_Launcher wrote:

Why don't we get to see Rico? THAT would be neat, and not that tough to add in...

Are you f***ing blind!? Boot up PSO and beat Dark Falz on Very Hard or Hard. See that human body flying from the disappearing final form of Falz? That's Rico, pay more damn attention next time.

He was talking about when you read Rico's messages there should be a hologram of her that tells you... pay more attention next time.

VariantXL
Jul 23, 2002, 12:04 PM
Beat the game on Ult.... see all the rico and her fabulous poses you want stylin those red weaps

VariantXL
Jul 23, 2002, 12:09 PM
All this time and ive never seen a spell do over 300-400 dmg Considering the monsters in ult dont even recieve the full 300-400 damage.... and they have damn near 1500-3000 hp... but let a hunter whack it with a considerably high percent weap and it does in the neighborhood of 1000

Daikarin
Jul 23, 2002, 12:25 PM
The only thing I think of is increasing the character's speed of moving around the battlefield. And of course, some super moves unique to a section ID or character type would surely be great.

Rylios
Jul 23, 2002, 12:26 PM
Making it a Real MMORPG as in no teleporting down from p2 just walking from place to place like FFXI but With PSO Battle Style

HC82
Jul 23, 2002, 05:46 PM
The dungeons could be more interesting. GC PSO seems to have fixed the flat stage problem. C mode is pretty good when it comes to the puzzles, no pit fall traps though.

I agree with the stories presentation being rather lacking, it's why some folk refer to offline as being a snooze fest. Offline should be more then what it currently is. For example after you trigger something dynamic in the story(like fighting falz for the first time) perhaps being treated to something special would be nice(ie. a story segment). It wouldn't repeat again because seeing the same event unfold everytime you get to falz would be tiresome, but it would add so much to the game, especially if quests made changes to the stages at hand.

Yes tech damage is gimped out, but it's not supposed to own all. Otherwise 4 FOs would be the best team. Tech damage is supposed to help hunters kills enemies on one clean combo(or faster), although I don't see 90 damage really helping a 1200 damage hard slash.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: HC82 on 2002-07-23 15:50 ]</font>

VariantXL
Jul 23, 2002, 06:47 PM
Ultimate mode in v2 nearly defeats the purpose of giving forces lvl 30 techs.... whats teh point if all youre going be able to do is use J/Z and S/D and hit them with your cane/rod/wand? Ud end up with a bunch weak hunters and rangers that dont have quite as good aim with a really good megid.

Id think it would be good to unlock new areas on a map by progressing through the story

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: VariantXL on 2002-07-23 16:53 ]</font>

googles
Jul 23, 2002, 06:57 PM
On 2002-07-23 06:21, Mag_Launcher wrote:

get that stick out of your ass and lighten up.

RavenTW
Jul 23, 2002, 07:22 PM
First things first, Poly, if you would read ALL of those terminals in the ruins you would know that it's a large spaceship which Dark Force/Falz was banished in. The thing crashed on Ragol. Somhow, the Pioner 1 expidition freed Falz, and he made the big explosion, THEN Rico found the Ruins, and Falz took control of her. Kinda odd, since u see Falz in his first form causing the explosion on Ragol.

Secondly, what I want. Hmmm... those fight disks are pretty cool, like maybe u can get a disk when u reach a level that makes a different animation or maybe more hits in the chain. Another thing I would like is more common multi-character healing items, like Star Atomizers, though common like Moon Atomizers.

another thing I would like is more TYPES of weapons. Many of the V1 and V2 rares are clones of a type of weapon. Sabers, daggers, swords, partisans, slicers, double sabers, claws, handguns, rifles, mechguns, shots, bazookas, canes, rods, and wands... Sure that's a lot, but I would like more common ones. You know, new types of weapons with green-red(at least) colors, unlike the double saber and photon claw.

Oh, one last thing, more enemy classes (Native, Altered Beast, Machine, and Dark), more classes per level (unlike all Native in Forest, etc.), and maybe multiple-class monsters. Brings more strategy. So that you want have to get one weapon for forest, one for caves, etc.

Well, that's my big post for the day. Now to have a heart attack.

Sojo
Jul 23, 2002, 07:38 PM
I agree with all of the points stated, particularly the ones to do with plot development.

Right now, Rico doesn't seem so much a scientific genius, but more a genius at stating the fething obvious!

Combination techniques would be a good idea too. Like one fireball from each hand, followed by a Kamehameha-style final fireball.

A better fighting engine and better weapon graphics would be great. I mean, right now, there is no style difference between a Sabre, and a Gladius, although the fighting styles of these two weapons were completely different!

Weapons combinations would be great too! Like, since a Gladius is small, you could hold it in one hand and maybe a pistol in the other, so you can shoot the enemy until they get close at which point you hack them up with the Gladius.

It would also look better if all the monsters had variable attacks. Right now the only creatures that do are Hildebears, Delsabres, Chaos Bringers and Chaos Sorcerors. Everything else is just "Slash, slash, slash, slash, slash" etc. etc.
Why not a slash with each arm?

VariantXL
Jul 23, 2002, 09:17 PM
actually its the 2nd form that blows up pioneer 1

Rylios
Jul 23, 2002, 10:22 PM
Secret Characters would be cool also

Cabel
Jul 24, 2002, 05:43 AM
Firstly, the characters in PSO seem too distinct from each other, and this has been taken further in episode2, which is a good thing if you want to play as multiple characters. But wouldn't PSO be far better if you always only played as one character? To do this would mean that you didn't actually choose a character type, but you leveled your character to become one. Say you want to be a force, you focus on increasing your mst. You would never be limited by any predetermined stats, but the balance would necessarily be there since you could only focus on different aspects of your character to the same degree. But to have only one character would mean there would have to be many more levels. Why not make the number of levels infinite, or at least say, going up to 1000, which at the current increase in exp per level would be impossible. If there wasn't a maximum level you could focus far more on playing PSO than aiming for the max level, or aiming for the next level up, which ineveitably we all do at some stage.

Secondly, the city structure could be made more realistic. Instead of having lobbys then games, why not make the parts of the city into 'lobbys'. For example there could be hospital lobbys, shop lobbies, hunters guild lobbies. I'd love to die down on Ragol and come back to life amongst others who had just died. Making a game then would simply involve a group of players organizing themselves in pioneer 2 and then going to Ragol, rather than the system where you walk into a game and take a telepipe down to say half way through ruins.

Thirdly, the random nature of the levels played in, and the difficulty settings could be changed. Rather than having caves 1, 2,3 etc. why not have a huge complex of caves 1s, 2s and 3s, all of which join on to each other. You could find warps then to go either to caves 2, or to caves 1.2. The difficulty settings could then be set by areas in the complex. Maybe towards the centre you find harder monsters, and right at the centre is the current ultimate mode. You could then work your way towards the centre, in order to find the different maps and different difficulties. The harder difficulties would still be limited by your ability to pass through the difficulties beforehand. When selecting a level from the pioneer 2 you could then choose the area number, but only be allowed to access the ones you'd been to.
I suppose these don't really change the game itself, just the structure, but it seems to me that setting the world of pso out like this would create a far more involving game, and far more potential for exploration.

eXybeR
Jul 24, 2002, 07:55 AM
How about more to do in Pioneer 2..
its supposed to be a whole city..yet you get some crappy little area..
I envisage something like the city of Omikron: The Nomad Soul,
everybody has their own apartment..
each ship is a different city..

and get rid of the lobby altogether,joining a ship transports you directly into the city..or into your apartment! heh

and instead of Caves 1,Caves 2,Caves 3 etc
just one big complex..