PDA

View Full Version : PSP...

Zelutos
Mar 25, 2005, 02:25 PM
Sucks. I had to demo it last night at work, and let's just say, we sold more DS's than PSP's. When the DS came out, we had 2 pages of pre=orders. When the PSP came out yesterday, we had 4 people who pre-ordered. Just goes to show that it sucks http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif Most people who looked at it said "I'd rather have my PS2 over this peice of junk." Everyone was expecting it to be awesome. Too bad it isn't. Yeah yeah yeah, i know this going to start a flame war, but Nintendo will always reign supreme over handhelds! Muhahahahaha!

Scejntjynahl
Mar 25, 2005, 02:31 PM
All handhelds are real crap. Limited in one way or another. Its like they tease us with something "new" but then we realize it could have been much better... so we wait for it to happen...

Neith
Mar 25, 2005, 02:34 PM
Have the battery life and square button been fixed? I'll stick with Nintendo I reckon, DS is sweet.

PJ
Mar 25, 2005, 02:37 PM
Slightly fanboyish, Zelly? ._.;;;

Zelutos
Mar 25, 2005, 02:40 PM
On 2005-03-25 11:37, SUPAH_CHAO wrote:
Slightly fanboyish, Zelly? ._.;;;

I'm a Nintendo fan at heart. All systems i've owned are made by nintendo. Well i did have a Playstation, but that's only because my brother gave it to me....i ended up selling it to my cousin for 20 bucks http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

ABDUR101
Mar 25, 2005, 02:42 PM
My nephew bought one, I haven't gotten a chance to check it out yet. Saw a video showing off what all it can do, seems like it has a lot of nice features, what with connecting via USB to hold pictures, mp3's, small video files, etc.

I was never a fan of handhelds, merely for the fact that I never really went anywhere to take them with. They were never allowed in school, and even if you snuck something like that in and it got stolen, you were told it served you right for bringing it in the first place, and at work, heh, well I work at work, and during any downtime I just read a book.

Ah well though, I'm sure it appeals to some, and they'll buy it and enjoy it.

PJ
Mar 25, 2005, 02:46 PM
Whyh couldn't you bring handhelds to school Abdur? Maybe my school is just more flexible, but I can even have my SP in classrooms, and if there's no work, I can play them.

Well, to be fair, I don't know how old you are, so I might be assuming this is the original Gameboy we be talking about? http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Zelutos
Mar 25, 2005, 02:47 PM
More than half the people can't even afford the thing! Waaaaaaaaay too expensive! Here in Alberta, it sells for $348.88.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Zelutos on 2005-03-25 11:48 ]</font>

ABDUR101
Mar 25, 2005, 03:08 PM
On 2005-03-25 11:46, SUPAH_CHAO wrote:
Whyh couldn't you bring handhelds to school Abdur? Maybe my school is just more flexible, but I can even have my SP in classrooms, and if there's no work, I can play them.

Well, to be fair, I don't know how old you are, so I might be assuming this is the original Gameboy we be talking about? http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Heh, this was waaay back. I'm 21 now, so yeah, referring to the original Gameboy and up to whats been released since then.

You could sneak them in and all that, but at the risk of having them confiscated or stolen. And most often, at the school I went to, the odds are they got stolen first.

digigram
Mar 25, 2005, 03:21 PM
When the PSP came out yesterday, we had 4 people who pre-ordered. Just goes to show that it sucks

Actually, it goes to show most people don't motivate themselves to make more money, instead, end up working a dead end job earning dirt for dollars and saying soemthing sucks because they can't afford it.

Yeah, I think a mercedes CLK-500 sucks too. But only because I can't justify paying 70k for just another car and i'm not 60-70 years old raping the government.

Continuing on about the psp. It's not an average gamers handheld. It's 250$ because it has functionality that a teenager wouldn't even begin to put to use, not to mention afford. DS is much more affordable, and is solely for games, hopefully I can't say "or the lack thereof", and 3rd party companies start releasing more and more and more games for it. Otherwise, you're stuck raising zoo animals and drawing clouds or chatting to a "buddy" with a "hip" avatar.

Yes it's fun. DS is meant to be fun. PSP is meant to be used, and with the amount of things being developed for it, it is more practical to get something like this, then most MP3 players, personal mpeg4 viewers, game systems, USB storage devices, wireless internet devices on the market.

Put all of those things, in one box, and you'll end up paying close to $1000, for something that cannot play games.

for 100$ more dollars
you get.

PSP=$250.00 US: mp3 playback, portable hard drive up to 1GB, mpeg4 playback with unlimited viewing time dependent on memory stick and battery life (6-8 hours max, thats 4 movies),wireless internet (being developed even further for wireless node access for UMD that allows browsers usage), and beautiful games that not only out do the graphics of the Ps2, but having games being developed specifically for the PSP, that arguably look better than the current home systems on the market. Cd quality sound with equalizer, IR, USB2, p2p memory stick sharing and game sharing (like DS, one person has game, 2 people play it multiplayer on 2 systems, game support required of course)

Nintendo DS=$150.00 US: games, wireless gaming, 2 screens, and you can touch it..... Which i admit, is very innovative, but using this as a high point on the comparison hits a brick wall, because it isn't needed.

That is a hell of a difference in price vs capability.

Yes, not very practicle for kids and teenagers. So don't buy it. As for nintendo DS, awesome, it plays games. get it.

But remember, 150 might as well be 250, because 100$ is pocket change to MOST of the people that are interested in what the PSP can do that's listed above. But don't slam something because either you can't afford it, or are too stubborn to think that Nintendo actually is your best friend and protect them because 'they' have competitors.

"God damn it ford, why'd you have to make cars, lincolns are the shiz so you suck!"

Play what you want. Leave the rest alone, especially leave the people alone.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: digigram on 2005-03-25 12:42 ]</font>

Blue-Hawk
Mar 25, 2005, 03:58 PM
Allow me to tell you what I said last night in one of my local Gamestops.
I go in to finish paying off my pre-order for Guild Wars. I take out my receipt and this is what transpired.
Gamestop employee- It's in.
Me- What's on?
GE- The PSP.
Me- Fuck the psp.

Needless to say, him, the other employee and about 9 other people in there shut up and statred at me as if they never heard someone use profanity before. He also tried to convince me to get one and I told him that it doesn't impress me and that if I wanted a disk launcher, I would buy a dart gun. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

So, as I payed, he was rude enough to say , 'Who's going to buy Guild Wars anyway?' I said, I was and so did his fellow employee.

Moral of the story is- Never try to push ANYTHING upon me.

digigram
Mar 25, 2005, 04:04 PM

2 way street.

ABDUR101
Mar 25, 2005, 04:31 PM
Heh, dood, he works at a game store, of course he's going to let customers know about the newest thing thats out or on pre-order. I can't walk into any of my local game stores without being told about every hyped game or system coming out, and it usually results in a short conversation.

It's not so much he was pushing you to buy it, he was prolly trying to spark interest and a conversation. It's his job to sell you stuff, the only thing is, he doesn't know if you know about what he's trying to offer you, so he has to bring it up and maybe get you interested in whats coming out.

Deathscythealpha
Mar 25, 2005, 04:49 PM
On 2005-03-25 12:58, Blue-Hawk wrote:
Allow me to tell you what I said last night in one of my local Gamestops.
I go in to finish paying off my pre-order for Guild Wars. I take out my receipt and this is what transpired.
Gamestop employee- It's in.
Me- What's on?
GE- The PSP.
Me- Fuck the psp.

Needless to say, him, the other employee and about 9 other people in there shut up and statred at me as if they never heard someone use profanity before. He also tried to convince me to get one and I told him that it doesn't impress me and that if I wanted a disk launcher, I would buy a dart gun. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

So, as I payed, he was rude enough to say , 'Who's going to buy Guild Wars anyway?' I said, I was and so did his fellow employee.

Im not surprised they all stared at you, that was damned rude of you. He was telling you that a new product, a product that has been hyped and was apparently in major demand, was in and was just trying to spark some interest in the console. Swearing at him was the most childish thing you could have done seeing as all you had to say was 'Im not really interested in the PSP'. Then again with childish remarks about the Disk Launcher, putting the PSP down that, just werent needed at all. Moral of the story? Grow up and dont be jerks to people in shops.

The PSP is really not on my radar at the minute, but is encroaching on the borders slightly. I saw some screenshots of the 'Bleach' game and was impressed at what they were doing on the system. Metal Gear Acid is also peaking my interest more as its looking alot like Final Fantasy Tatics/Disagaea with Solid Snake. Not a bad thing. Now if they could clean up the crappy Darkstalkers 3 port I ould have 3 games that would interest me in the console.

I also need to find another game past Project Rub (crappy UK name) to actually play on my DS, its already starting to collect dust.

Blue-Hawk
Mar 25, 2005, 05:21 PM
Actually, I didn't yell it out, I said it in a mildly humerous manner.

Outrider
Mar 25, 2005, 05:29 PM
Digigram - Yet again, I question you in regard to the PSP looking better than any console on the market. You must be looking at a different PSP than the rest of us.

Anywho - Zel, stop it with the fanboyism. The PSP is a great system, and the DS is a great system. They may not appeal to everybody, but they have their own demographics.

Trust me, nobody loves Nintendo more than I do. I'm completely a Nintendo fan to the end. That doesn't prevent me from enjoying games on other systems, though.

To put in my own situation - I don't have a DS because I don't have the cash at the moment and there aren't any games that really interest me. (Although, Tough! Kirby sounds pretty darn sweet.) I also don't have a PSP because I don't have the cash at the moment and there aren't any games that really interest me. (Maybe Lumines? That's supposed to be awesome or some such thing.)

Link00seven
Mar 25, 2005, 05:31 PM
I have an iPod...and iTunes, so the Mp3 compatibilty isnt useful to me anyway, lol.

In terms of the acual hardware, i've yet to see one in person, whoever it looks to be alot better in terms of quality then the DS. The DS had the potential to be a really good system, but it has one problem.

No. Analog. Stick.

Okay, so we're supposed to spend $150 on a system that can only do mini-games right because of the touch screen? Mario 64 DS was crap, because the d-pad doesn't offer percision. Other then that, the system is wonderful. It just needed an analog stick...

Moving right along...

The PSP on the otherhand, looks like quality. I wouldn't know exactly, since I haven't used it yet, but my opinion might change once I use it. The PSP at least was given a proper method of control, both a d-pad and an analog stick. It has all the features that matter, alongside adding many new and cool ones. Video playback is nice, MP3 support (even though I won't use it) is nice, and full wireless support is nice. Sony is even going to offer firmwire updates. The PS2-compatible graphics don't matter to me, what I care about are fun games, and the PSP will probably be able to give that to me, whereas the DS just gives me a headache because...oh wait, YOU CAN'T CONTROL IT.

Just my $0.02. Who knows though, I may hate the PSP when I use it. GBA SP for life!

PJ
Mar 25, 2005, 05:53 PM
I didn't think the PSP had an analog stick... >__>;;;

Correct me if I'm wrong.

EDIT: Oh, you said it right in the post http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: SUPAH_CHAO on 2005-03-25 14:54 ]</font>

Deathscythealpha
Mar 25, 2005, 06:35 PM
Technically the PSP has an Analogue 'Slider'. Feels really wierd to use at first as you dont get the 'lean' of a stick.

Outrider
Mar 25, 2005, 07:55 PM
I hardly think ruling out a system because it doesn't have an analog stick is a legitimate concern for most people, but whatever floats your boat.

I'm personally interested in how the analog nub works. I've heard that it's weird at first, but once you get used to how it works, it's just as easy to use as an analog stick.

Deathscythealpha
Mar 25, 2005, 08:12 PM
On 2005-03-25 16:55, Outrider wrote:
I hardly think ruling out a system because it doesn't have an analog stick is a legitimate concern for most people, but whatever floats your boat.

Could only really apply it when the system is touting games that really need an analogue stick to get the most out of it. Games like Mario64 used the stick alot, so taking it away makes the game feel wrong. And seeing as the DS will more then likely see a lot more N64 ports, it can be quite a concern for some people.

Mixfortune
Mar 25, 2005, 08:35 PM
On 2005-03-25 17:12, Deathscythealpha wrote:

Could only really apply it when the system is touting games that really need an analogue stick to get the most out of it. Games like Mario64 used the stick alot, so taking it away makes the game feel wrong. And seeing as the DS will more then likely see a lot more N64 ports, it can be quite a concern for some people.

The touch screen coupled with the included thumb pad actually make for an excellent "analog stick". I used the screen as I would a normal analog stick, and it worked just fine, and felt the same to me. You don't have to lift up every other second either (it's not like a mouse or anything like that).

digigram
Mar 25, 2005, 08:41 PM
To answer outrider.

The psp's stick feels strange at first, especially if you're used to the Dual Shock controllers analog sticks (feels like you're MOVING something, ya know).

and yeah, it is "technically" a stick.. but as death pointed out it's more like a slider, there is miniscule bend or curve to it, and you can't feel it, but it feels more like asurface that has a stick behind it, and the stick is attached in all directions by rubber bands. there is resistance to it and it feels good (especially the actual surface of the analog "thing") but agreed, it takes some getting used to. Especially for sensitivity on games such as wipeout pure.

Having an analog control in that game is almost essential to master it. it being the driving of the wipeout vehicles. otherwise, it's continuous tapping of the D-pad to get a vehicle to make turns correctly. If you hold the D-pad down, it goes hard left-right-up-down. I believe there is "pressure sensitivity" on the D-pads but I don't think it's very easy to accurately measure it in wipeout (fast game, tense, always pressing down hard).

http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Outrider
Mar 26, 2005, 02:24 AM
The only thing I find ridiculous is that Nintendo was really the first game company to really push the analog joystick, and yet they didn't include it on the DS.

But I've heard the touch screen can work, so long as you can get used to the lack of physical feedback beneath your thumb.

HUnewearl_Meira
Mar 26, 2005, 02:32 AM
On 2005-03-25 12:21, digigram wrote:

When the PSP came out yesterday, we had 4 people who pre-ordered. Just goes to show that it sucks

Actually, it goes to show most people don't motivate themselves to make more money, instead, end up working a dead end job earning dirt for dollars and saying soemthing sucks because they can't afford it.

Absolutely wrong. What is being pointed out, is that even Sony's amazing hype machine that managed to bring a system as poorly designed as the PS2 to the top of the market wasn't enough to overcome Nintendo's incredible inertia in the handheld market.

And quite frankly, from what I gather, The PSP may be a powerful little handfull, but where its capacity may offer the potential to excell as a handheld, it's really a very crappy Palmtop.

They're planning to release movies on the PSP. Wonderful. This means that I can go buy a $250 machine so I can spend $20 on a movie to watch on a tiny little screen. Oooooorrr... I could spend $100 on a portable DVD player, and have a broader selection of movies that I can watch on a slightly larger screen, as well as on my television or computer. I don't see that being a big money maker, and is honestly a bit of wasted functionality.

If high-end graphics in a portable game is what I want, I can still get the same from the DS. Perhaps the PSP is better at that, but at least with the DS, if I have to hit a button labeled with a square, I know that it's going to be there when my thumb gets to it.

MP3 player? I can go out and purchase a $60 device with all the sound quality and storage I may feel that I need.

Video file playback? What good is video file playback on a portable device? Are you going to cart your collection of amusing shorts and commercials around to show your buddies at the local prommenade? If you've had time to put it on your PSP, then you've probably had time to watch it. Furthermore, with only a gig of memory, you're not going to have nearly enough video footage to make use of that 6-8 hour playback. You'd have enough space for *a* movie if the PSP supports decent codecs (such as DivX), and maybe a handful of shorts.

Of course, all that aside, the biggest issue in any battle of handhelds is battery life. The PSP won't do well as a gaming platform because the graphics intense games that would be the big sellers of the system bleed it dry of power in two to three hours. In those terms, it can be observed that it's entirely possible that you'll end up with games that cannot be beaten, not because they're hard, but because the console will die an hour or so from the end (thank goodness for the somewhat modern standard of saved games). Battery life is a BIG issue for the PSP. Go ahead and do a Google search (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=PSP+%22battery+life%22). See what people are saying about it. It's not favorable. People are comparing the PSP to the Game Gear. The Game Gear was inarguably more powerful than the Game Boy (12-bit graphics versus an array of dark blues on a yellow screen...), but the Game Gear fell to its knees at the feet of the original Game Boy, because the original Game Boy seemed like it could be left on for days on end without dieing, and with fewer batteries, at that.

Perhaps you heard otherwise about the PSP. Perhaps you've heard it can last for many many hours on end. Of course, this is the same marketting division that told us that the PS2 could produce 70 million polygons per second, but neglected to mention that this figure was based on 16-color grayscale cell shading. Just the same, the figures that Sony released for battery life were based on using headphones at mid-level volume, having the wireless features turned off, and turning the screen light down to its minimum setting. Even with all of that, you've got a shameful of 4 to 6 hours worth of gameplay, and a laughable 4 to 5 hours for videos. If you're planning on playing games or watching movies on more realistic settings, then I hope you've got an extention cord, because by the sounds of it, you're probably not going to be finishing that movie unless you're plugged into the wall.

The DS, on the other hand, has a fairly consistant battery life of about 10 hours. I've heard that it can get as low as 6, which is still right at the threshold of the best you can expect from the PSP. Beyond that, apparently turning down the light and sound makes very little impact on the battery's longevity, so you'll be making no sacrifices.

Overall, the DS has a strong case for being the superior system here, Buck-o. The only real complaint I've come across is the observation that using the touchscreen makes it difficult to use the other buttons, which is a rather minor flaw considering that the touchscreen's entire purpose in existance is to draw your attention away from the other buttons.

I think the design philosophies of the systems are the biggest difference. The PSP was designed to wow you. It's a circus act. The DS, on the other hand, was designed to be used. Its sleep-mode allows it to be picked up and put down repeatedly over the course of the day, almost eliminating the need to turn it off between game sessions. Its folding design protects its screens from abbrasion when placed in a backpack or a pocket without the need of a special case. On top of that, the DS adds a new, innovative control feature. Perhaps it's only a gimic, but to be quite honest, this gimic just may catch on. I don't know that we should expect anything less from the people that brought us the D-pad.

So yeah, maybe the PSP has a few interesting features that the DS doesn't have, but none of them contribute to its value as a portable game console.

I'm sorry, but Sony's going to have to make a huge change in their design philosophy, if they intend to win in this venture.

Outrider
Mar 26, 2005, 03:20 AM
VG, sometimes you make posts that make me feel giddy inside.

That was one of those posts.

HUnewearl_Meira
Mar 26, 2005, 05:15 AM
It's just, dammit Outrider, if someone's going to try to topple Nintendo from the handheld market, then they'd better be prepared to offer a handheld console that not only works better and lasts longer than anything Nintendo can offer, but administers oral sex at the same time.

navci
Mar 26, 2005, 02:09 PM
On 2005-03-26 02:15, HUnewearl_Meira wrote:
It's just, dammit Outrider, if someone's going to try to topple Nintendo from the handheld market, then they'd better be prepared to offer a handheld console that not only works better and lasts longer than anything Nintendo can offer, but administers oral sex at the same time.

I'll buy it.

Outrider
Mar 26, 2005, 03:26 PM
On 2005-03-26 02:15, HUnewearl_Meira wrote:

There's another one of those posts.

Now, lest I make an offer to have VG's babies, I'm gonna change topics and offer an interesting situation.

Wouldn't it be funny if both the DS and the PSP failed and we were left with the SP for another few years?

Deathscythealpha
Mar 26, 2005, 03:35 PM
Well if they both do fail, we can always rely on the Gameboy3 at the end of the year.

Or the NGage, everyone loves the NGage http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

digigram
Mar 26, 2005, 07:12 PM
Video file playback? What good is video file playback on a portable device? Are you going to cart your collection of amusing shorts and commercials around to show your buddies at the local prommenade? If you've had time to put it on your PSP, then you've probably had time to watch it. Furthermore, with only a gig of memory, you're not going to have nearly enough video footage to make use of that 6-8 hour playback. You'd have enough space for *a* movie if the PSP supports decent codecs (such as DivX), and maybe a handful of shorts.

um. I've already encoded a 200MB file (divx) that is an hour long, into a 30MB file that has the same quality of the original on the PSP's screen.

technically the size of the 1GB memory sticks are around 940 or so MB. (HD marketing flaw)

940 div 30 = 31 hours.

beat it.

Perhaps you heard otherwise about the PSP. Perhaps you've heard it can last for many many hours on end. Of course, this is the same marketting division that told us that the PS2 could produce............

I am now on my 6 and half hour mark playing wipeout pure, at full volume, with the brightness on the higest it can go without an AC source. I saved my progress and pushed 'home' (brings you back to the beginning menu and suspends the game, i have around, I assume 75-85% battery life left, because the indicator states that I am still full.

Where are you getting your information from if you do not own one?

If you would like to know all of it's features, ask, and I'll gladly inform everyone of it's "flaws" in design philosophy. Which in a previous post, was regarded in a sense that almost seemed blinded by what it actually can do.

The PSP was designed to wow you. It's a circus act. The DS, on the other hand, was designed to be used. Its sleep-mode allows it to be picked up and put down repeatedly over the course of the day, almost eliminating the need to turn it off between game sessions

which explains you don't know much about it.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: digigram on 2005-03-26 16:23 ]</font>

HUnewearl_Meira
Mar 26, 2005, 09:59 PM
On 2005-03-26 16:12, digigram wrote:
um. I've already encoded a 200MB file (divx) that is an hour long, into a 30MB file that has the same quality of the original on the PSP's screen.

technically the size of the 1GB memory sticks are around 940 or so MB. (HD marketing flaw)

940 div 30 = 31 hours.

beat it.

Its usefullness is still dubious.

I am now on my 6 and half hour mark playing wipeout pure, at full volume, with the brightness on the higest it can go without an AC source. I saved my progress and pushed 'home' (brings you back to the beginning menu and suspends the game, i have around, I assume 75-85% battery life left, because the indicator states that I am still full.

Even Sony doesn't claim that this thing can last for 6 and a half hours. Let's take a look at the numbers provided in the instruction manual (http://www.us.playstation.com/psp/Manuals.aspx), shall we?

Game | Approximately 3 - 6 hours*1
Video Playback | Approximately 3 - 5 hours*2

*1 Based on tests conducted in single player mode, headphones with remote control use, wireless LAN not in use.
*2 Based on tests conducted using variables of system speakers versus headphones, vulume level and screen brightnesss level.

So given that Sony apparently chose the lowest possible power drain to get their numbers, I'd say that the chances of you getting six and a half hours out of a single session, without spending extended periods of time in Sleep mode and without an external power source are rather slim. As they say, j00 lie.

Where are you getting your information from if you do not own one?

Collective consumer responses found on news sites and elsewhere on the web. Also, from Sony's own site, as you see above. Google is your friend.

which explains you don't know much about it.

I do my homework before posting an argument, kid. You appear to have taken your argument from a limited few hours' experience. My argument is built around the general experience of many, as well as technical information released by Sony, themselves.

War_Child
Mar 26, 2005, 11:20 PM
Here is why the PSP sucks:

- For multimedia (photo, music, movie), have to shell out another $100+ for a decent memory stick (here they run about $120 CAD for 256 meg).

- Dead pixels not covered by warranty

- Battery life lower than shooting a homeless child

- Disc based drive will wear out faster than a cartrdige based drive

- Analogue nubs break and wear out after alot of use. So what happens when you have a PSP but no nub?

- Lack of Metal Slug

:3

Wyndham
Mar 26, 2005, 11:38 PM
On 2005-03-26 20:20, War_Child wrote:
Here is why the PSP sucks:

- For multimedia (photo, music, movie), have to shell out another $100+ for a decent memory stick (here they run about $120 CAD for 256 meg).

- Dead pixels not covered by warranty

- Battery life lower than shooting a homeless child

- Disc based drive will wear out faster than a cartrdige based drive

- Analogue nubs break and wear out after alot of use. So what happens when you have a PSP but no nub?

- Lack of Metal Slug

:3

don't forget that If you buy a movie for the PSP, you won't get to watch it on a much bigger screen.

or at least that's what I was told. please correc me if I'm wrong.

digigram
Mar 27, 2005, 12:44 AM
I do my homework before posting an argument, kid.

Please, Get off your fucking trip, i'm older than you.

As for your remark of "joo lie", At random intervals of getting up to go smoke for 5 minutes, maybe about once an hour, that gives me about 30 minutes of standby time. which still leaves me 6 hours, with previous amount of battery power left.

Solstis
Mar 27, 2005, 12:49 AM
On 2005-03-26 21:44, digigram wrote:

As for your remark of "joo lie", At random intervals of getting up to go smoke for 5 minutes, maybe about once an hour, that gives me about 30 minutes of standby time. which still leaves me 6 hours, with previous amount of battery power left.

Then Sony lied.

Wyndham
Mar 27, 2005, 12:50 AM

Please, stop the cursing, it makes you sound immature.
and this arguement won't get anywhere unless you start acting calmly.

digigram
Mar 27, 2005, 01:04 AM
Then Sony lied.

No, it just means wipeout doesn't eat up a lot of power and I'm not using the wireless function. I have been wearing headphones, but that shouldn't make a difference cnosidering my headphones have larger drivers than the psp's onboard speakers.

Could also be that I drained the battery power to null before i used it the first time, then recharged it to full. Who knows. all I know is that at the time of the post, above time was correct and battery power had [= = =]- on it. not [= = ]-

Sony didn't lie, I would assume they tested the 6 hour mark on diagnostic discs that "burn in" the system to see how much it can take.. Nintendo does the same thing for Gamecubes and microsoft for Xbox. Though not handhelds, GBA,DS etc do the same thing.

It is a maximum of pushing it to its limit, other than having a demo of ridge racer play non stop until it dies, ridge racer would require less power to play, than a diagnostic disc, which in the process of testing, calculates every possible function the PSP can handle while throwing all visual effects and rendering at it as well..of course, this doesn't require wireless abilities.

Oran. I have been acting calmly until I was being patronized by someone for apparently, not knowing anything. Me immature, if you have such a problem with cursing, don't bother quoting me on it, you'll just see the cursing again. Doesn't seem any more mature, now does it.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: digigram on 2005-03-26 22:07 ]</font>

HUnewearl_Meira
Mar 27, 2005, 02:53 AM

What makes you think that time in a power save mode counts toward battery life during play time? If you want to consider that, the DS can go for several days in Sleep mode, and still have two or three hours of solid playtime left.

Skorpius
Mar 27, 2005, 03:26 AM
PSP is like a computer chair with a rocket pack attached to it. It's cool, not needed, irrelevant to what it's SUPPOSED to be used for, and it will cost an arm and a leg to replace it if it broke.

Wyndham
Mar 27, 2005, 03:53 AM
On 2005-03-27 00:26, Skorpius wrote:
PSP is like a computer chair with a rocket pack attached to it. It's cool, not needed, irrelevant to what it's SUPPOSED to be used for, and it will cost an arm and a leg to replace it if it broke.

finally, my thoughts put into words more evffectively than I could ever arrange them.

Corey
Mar 27, 2005, 09:26 AM
Well, I'm not really going to voice on this even though I'm standing one point here:

HUnewearl_Meira is putting up the best debate I've ever seen on a console right now, and her information...hmm, ya know I don't think it's wrong if she's done this much homework since Game Informer, EGM, GamePro, and Sony's own gaming magazines say pretty much the same thing she is telling you.

And yes, they are sitting in my Magazine stack.

navci
Mar 27, 2005, 04:17 PM

Age is irrelevant in this arguement. Leave it out.
If either of you have to go back to "I am older than you" to make your arguement any more valid. Then neither of you are old enough.

RuneLateralus
Mar 28, 2005, 12:31 AM
First of all, Meira and Digigram...cool it.

I got one and I really love it. Wipeout Pure is better than anything I played on the DS so far. And being a fan of Darkstalkers helps me out there as well.

But to be fair, the best DS games (or if you want to be technical, the games that really only catch my eye) got delayed until the fall (Animal Crossing, Castlevania, and Metroid Prime: Hunters). I haven't really touched mine since November. The system has so much potential, but no one uses it. No attempts to really attempt to make this grand epic game that could be done using all the features that the DS can use. I find it sad that the PSP games I have played are better than the two I own for the DS (Feel the Magic and Super Mario 64...though to be fair...Mario is plagued by horrible control issues)...not to mention the thing I play the most on my DS are GBA games and the Metroid demo.

Unless Nintendo can get their shit together, the DS can go sour real fast. I am a big Nintendo fan, but they are not perfect. The last thing anyone wants is this great potential to be wasted.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: RuneLateralus on 2005-03-27 21:32 ]</font>

Zelutos
Mar 28, 2005, 12:41 AM
Hey, Baten Kaitos DS and Lunar RPG DS are gonna be pinner games. I can't wait for them!

Oh yeah, i'm also hyped up about Yu-Gi-Oh! Nightmare Trobadour and alot of other games. Don't worry, it's potential will be maximized sooner or later!

RuneLateralus
Mar 28, 2005, 12:49 AM
On 2005-03-27 21:41, Zelutos wrote:
Hey, Baten Kaitos DS and Lunar RPG DS are gonna be pinner games. I can't wait for them!

Oh yeah, i'm also hyped up about Yu-Gi-Oh! Nightmare Trobadour and alot of other games. Don't worry, it's potential will be maximized sooner or later!

Ok, Lunar will interest me and maybe Baten Kaitos...but Yu-Gi-Oh! God...I hate that series...whether it be the animated series, the comic, the actual cards...and pretty much all the little card games that mimic it. I am sure that game will appeal to my age range too...

Not to sound too insulting, but that might be another reason why I am not too into the DS right now...except for Feel the Magic and that crappy dating sim, there is really nothing aimed more to a person in more my age range.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: RuneLateralus on 2005-03-27 21:54 ]</font>

Evil_Althena8
Mar 28, 2005, 02:50 AM
If there is one thing I've noticed since I've been on these boards, it's that many of the people are extrememly biased when it comes to Nintendo and Sony. From what I've seen, it's immensly favoring Nintendo, and there are many Sony haters. Why, might I ask? Do you have any particular good reason to hate Sony? Yes, Nintendo is considered the best at handhelds, but that doesn't mean that PSP is downright useless.

First of all, let me say this...I really could care less about Nintendo's current games, save PSO(which isn't Gamecube exlusive anyway). I used to be a huge Zelda and Mario fan...but I've moved on from those days. So what, I like Final Fantasies, I like Tri-Ace games, I like Tekken, I like Xenosaga, etc....all Playstation games. If a console has games I like, I could care less about it's capabilities, and even it's flaws (as I have stated in my rant about PS2). PSP can play video and MP3...which I would love seeing I don't have a portable CD player even. In fact, all of it's qualities OTHER than the fact that it's a portable GAMING console are attractive to me. Nintendo DS...bleh. PSP's $100 more expensive than DS...so what? I'd say it's well worth it.

But I guess it doesn't really matter. I can't change diehard Nintendo fan's opinions anyway. As soon as one handheld comes along that tries to compete with Nintendo, everyone puts it down...just because. Quite sad, really

Zelutos
Mar 28, 2005, 03:31 AM
I'm not saying that i hate Sony, i mean, i love Final Fantasy and i plan on buying a PS2 just to play Final Fantasy and other games like Devil May Cry and Kingdom Hearts, but, i find the PSP to be a waste of money. People expected it to be able to play PS2 games, and normal DVD's, and we are faced with tiny little disks encased in a plastic cover. I think that's absurd. Sony just wants more money by limiting the PSP to the little encased disks. If they would have allowed it to play normal dvd's, i would have been perfectly happy and probably would have never started this topic.

Outrider
Mar 28, 2005, 03:54 AM
On 2005-03-27 21:41, Zelutos wrote:

See, I just can't see any of those games actually using the DS for anything more than a slightly more powerful GBA.

They need innovation, and they need it fast.

On 2005-03-27 23:50, Evil_Althena8 wrote:
But I guess it doesn't really matter. I can't change diehard Nintendo fan's opinions anyway. As soon as one handheld comes along that tries to compete with Nintendo, everyone puts it down...just because. Quite sad, really

I hardly think you can say that every person who dislikes Playstation games or systems is just a stubborn Nintendo fanboy, particularly when there are sound and reasonable arguments to consider. I would say Tekken is a glorified button masher and Xenosaga is a boring pseudo-intellectual anime pretending to be an RPG, but I suppose that's just because I like Nintendo better, huh? Heck, no. People have different tastes in games. Maybe some of them just happen to have a taste in gaming that meshes well with one system, but not the other.

Plus, I don't like crappy games. I mean, jeez... if you're trying to back up Sony, mention ICO or Metal Gear or something - not that trash.

Ancient
Mar 28, 2005, 04:52 AM
Actually I think Sony's move to use UMD disks was quite smart. Their Minidisk players have been on the market for a number of years, and they are excellent, I swear by mine (even though I'm an xbox fanboy). They are quiet, sturdy, and able to resist skipping extremely well. UMDs are basically just Hi-Def versions of their mini-disks. So why not use your own proprietary data media, if its proven to work well?
And honestly a portable game system that used full sized dvds would be huge, prone to skipping disks, and suck batteries like a Hoover.
On the other hand, I dont think their idea of putting movies on UMD will go that well. At least not any better than Nintedos GBA videos. Good if your desperate for Spongebob on the go, but no way this is ever gonna be a big time media offering. People with PSPs shouldnt expect much of a selection in movies for their system, just a few blockbusters here and there. But then, I dont think many PSP owners were looking for the definitive portable version of The English Patient.

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Mar 28, 2005, 05:41 AM
Within the last 4 or so days since its release, everyone everywhere has been asking these two questions:

"What is that portable Playstation 2 everyone is talking about?"

and

"Does it play DVD movies?!"

I don't own one. Lets get that out of the way right now. I have seen one in person and had a minute to check it out and help my boss figure out how to use the UMD media for it. He purchased it and was dumbfounded to how it would work in the PSP. I figured it out within seconds, without ever seeing one before in person. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

For the most part everyone has been asking the same questions which can easily be answered if they were paying attention. Play DVD's? No. "UMD" discs. Playstation 2 mini? No. PSP(Playstation Portable).

There are valid reasons to not fall prey to the hype and splurge on it. There are also valid reasons to purchase one for yourself and use it to its full potential.

Without a comparison, there is no arguement. The comparison in question is always going to be Nintendo's DS.

Everyone needs to buy what they want, for whatever reason they want, and not give a damn about what someone else is buying. Don't rant about what you have and why your purchase is better than someone else's. Don't go persuading people to do what you did.

Its all well and good to post your opinion, tell the pros and cons you know about(facts permitting), and help someone make a decision if they asked you for advice.

Whatever negatives there are to the hardware/software, it doesn't look like anything is going to change in the near future for them to be magically recalled and disappear due to consumers not buying them, or some other unlikely reason(major defects, etc.).

If either company loses a lot of money on these hardware, great. So be it. They took a risk, they can take the fall and probably still land on their feet.

Its not the end of the world. The two consoles are very much new.

My decision is to wait it out until the price drops eventually occur and more games are released that pique my interest. I can avoid hype and the rumor mill. My money. I'll spend it wisely. Find out the facts first. Take my time. Doesn't look like either console is going anywhere soon.

Discussions like these help everyone out in the long term as they can shed light on the misconseptions about the hardware and its capabilities/limits. A lot of "deal breakers" for consumers are in fact valid things such as maximum battery life.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: HAYABUSA-FMW- on 2005-03-28 02:44 ]</font>

Outrider
Mar 28, 2005, 09:57 AM
On 2005-03-28 01:52, Ancient wrote:
On the other hand, I dont think their idea of putting movies on UMD will go that well. At least not any better than Nintedos GBA videos.

Actually, the Nintendo GBA videos do fairly well for what they are.

I mean, it's just a bunch of kids who are having their parents buy them an episode or two of Spongebob or Pokemon or something. But it's definitely a quick money-maker on Nintendo's part.

I'd have to say, I'm not so sure there will be that large a group of people who will want UMD movies. Personally, I can't understand wanting to watch a movie on a handheld - at least for me, there's a big difference between holding a system and just watching it for two hours and actually playing a game for two hours. You get more involved with the game.

Then again, if it's a particularly engaging movie, I guess you wouldn't notice.

Three
Mar 28, 2005, 10:47 AM
The Walkman was the only Sony product I ever bought.

Seriously, $250 for something like that? Here's my lineup:

- Off-brand CD/MP3 player: $15
- Gameboy Pocket: ~$30 or something.
- Dr. Mario and Pokemon: $10

I've got a good deal here: I can play fun games, and I can listen to music. $55, and it's all portable. Beats $250 + money for games.

Maybe I'm entertained too easily. B]