PDA

View Full Version : Games that you looked forward to, but ended with disappointm

CodeName62
Jul 23, 2002, 03:29 PM
Hey there. Just post the games that you really looked forward to playing, but when you played it, you were disappointed. Here are mine.

Driver 2-
Now I am not saying that this game was bad, but I think that its predecessor was a lot better. Yes, Driver lacked the some the cool features that Driver 2 had (i.e. the ability to get out of the vehicles, curved roads, and freeways), but I found that Driver was more fun to play than Driver 2. I also didn't like Driver 2's linear story. At least in Driver there were other ways of getting to the end of game, thanks to the answering machine filled with job offers.

Tomorrow Never Dies-
This game seemed cool at first, but ended up to be really bad. I beat it in one day, and never played it again. The game was really short, had horrible controlling responses, was not very challenging, and the graphics were not to great. I think the only reason why I wanted to get this game was to drive Bond's BMW that he drove in the movie. Driving that BMW was the best thing you did in the game.

Vigilante 8 Second Offensive-
I really had fun Vigilante 8. I couldn't wait for Second Offensive to come out. Well, when I finally got it, I thought it was cool at first. The game had some neat features. These features included the ability to upgrade the vehicles, having temporary hover craft ability for the cars in the playing area, and had some new vehicles to play as. The complaint that I have about this game was that the mission objectives were really obscure. This factor made that game annoyingly difficult to complete the whole game.

Max Payne (PS2 version)-
I heard nothing, but good things about this game. When I finally got my PS2, it was one of the first games that I rented. I put it in, played it for an hour, and never played it again. I was very disappointed with it. The graphics sucked, and the controls were set up bad. The best thing that I found about the game, was the ability to slow down your surrounding environment. I imagine that this game was a lot better on the PC.

Ness
Jul 23, 2002, 03:33 PM
Hmm. I'd have to saay Luigi's Mansion.

Deathscythealpha
Jul 23, 2002, 03:50 PM
Ive been disapointed by loadsa games.

Dino Crisis (psx): really wanted this game, played it for a couple of hours then i relised all it was was trying to find codes for doors and nothing else.

Soul Reaver 2 (PC): First game was amazing, second was frustratingly the same. Same bad guys, same animatios, same switch throwing...

Zombie Revenge (DC): Too small a health metre to be able to do anything, and it was to unforgiving. And zombie monkeys (hates them zombie monkeys).

Sims on Holiday (PC): Loved The Sims, loved Livin it Up, thought House Party was cool, tried to kill myself through boredom with On Holiday. Havent played the Sims since i bought this a couple of months ago.

I got alot more, but im to lazy to mention em.

SnAPPUrU-nyan-ko
Jul 23, 2002, 04:01 PM
Hmmm it's hard to say, since I don't buy lots of games these days...
I'd have to say kirby's pinball adventure, since there wasn't an ending with credits =^_^=;;;;;

Daikarin
Jul 23, 2002, 04:16 PM
Sonic Adventure 2 - Sure, it amazed me with it's speed, graphics and storyline when I played it for the first time... but the Tail's / Eggman's levels are boring. And they took out the adventure field from sonic 1! Besides, I like that kind of music, but I think they should give more variety to the stage's music background like they did on Sonic adventure 1.

Nidarrock
Jul 23, 2002, 04:35 PM
Gran Turismo 3 - Nice graphics didn't make me want to play through another GT game.

Medal of Honor(ps2) - Just wasn't as good as I heard.

MGS2 - Raiden & the story stunk.

Those are the more recent games I can think of. Don't get me wrong I think these games had some good things to them as well.

neko-chan
Jul 23, 2002, 04:40 PM
Super Monkey Ball
Did I miss something? What's the point of it? ^_^

Metal Gear Solid 2
Let me skip those fucking videos!

Virtual On Oratorio Tangram
I bought the JP version cause I'm collecting DC games... but... perhaps you really have to play it with the custom controller... I don't know... but since I don't have it, the game just sucked for me.

Zelda: Majora's Mask
I played this game like 5 mins. Then I threw the controller away and put back the N64 into the closet. I hate when the first level of a videogame is just a "tutorial" (to learn the controls).

Halo
While playing I was thinking... "what's so dam great in this game? Everyone says it's great but why?". I completed the first two levels, then I quit. A friend said "it becomes more and more awesome when you play outside, driving veichles". So, I tried the 3rd level: got a jeep and shot some enemies.
After that I returned my Xbox.

SnAPPUrU-nyan-ko
Jul 23, 2002, 04:43 PM
How dare you judge x-box like that beatneko!
oh wait, this isn't my greg account anymore

I'm kinda disappointed with every gamecube game =^-^=;;; Pikman looked like fun and sounded like fun, but I had to quit playing it =3.

Last_Saiyan
Jul 23, 2002, 04:50 PM
Here they are:

Golden Sun: It was awesome then all of a sudden it stopped, I had no idea that it was one of those game that comes in series format.

Emepherial Fantasia: It was one of the first RPG for the PS2 and I thought it was going to be great, it's the crappiest game in the whole PS2 universe. Awful graphics and uninspiring game play topped with "going nowhere" storyline

Sonic Adventure 2: I really liked the first one because of the RPG elements

RavenTW
Jul 23, 2002, 05:03 PM
FINALLY! Someone else liked the adventure sequences in SA! Without that, You couldn't even call SA2 an Adventure! Although I still like the game.

I'd say Bloody Roar 3 was dissapointing. I was expecting interactive stages. Maybe I didn't play enough to find the interactiveness of the levels, but still, it was dissapointing. PF is better. Period.

PSO V.2- Same old thing, only better, right? Maybe. The fee didn't help, and although there were 2 new ONLINE-ONLY features and a new difficulty, I can't even buy online, and I had only once unlocked V-hard. The new weapons and mags were a small compinsation, but I wihed they could have put in more stuff, like they're doing in Ep 1 and 2.

Spider-man 2(PS)- Pure crap compared to it's predecessor, even if it DID have better graphics.

Extreme-G3(GC)-I had some pretty high hopes for this game, and the whole racing aspect was great. But with everyone unloading on you, you couldn't enjoy the layout of the track or anything like that.

That's all I can think of for now, I'll edit my post once I remember the game I was thinking of...

Ironmonkey
Jul 23, 2002, 05:10 PM
My list of disappointing games

Metal Gear Solid....nice game but I beat it in 5 hours

Metal Gear Solid 2....beat it in 9 hours and the storyline and characters sucked, plus there was no need for 75% of the new moves they put into the game.

Final Fantasy 8...I hated the storyline, magic system and most of the characters. Quite possibly the most boring game ever imho

Final Fantasy 10...Cool characters,storyline, leveling system but wheres the world map? dungeon exploration? It was a pretty good game, but it was waay too straight forward.

GhoStar
Jul 23, 2002, 05:21 PM
Super Smash Brothers Melee (GC) - I hate these kind of frantic fighting games, so this was very dissapointing.

Rogue Leader (GC) - Boring dog fighting with the Star Wars license = YAWN

MGS2 (PS2) - Pointless story and Raiden screwed it all up. That last cinematic was just pointless and boring!

Majora's Mask (N64) - Horrible game concept and tedious to play. No where near as good as Ocarina of Time.

Dead or Alive 3 (Xbox) - Nice graphics, but nothing worth playing. And where are the additional gameplay modes/something to add real replay value? Oh, they forgot to put that in...

FF7 - FF10 (PSX/PS2) - Bleh! Bring back FF6 and the SNES classics!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: GhoStar on 2002-07-23 16:01 ]</font>

neko-chan
Jul 23, 2002, 05:27 PM
On 2002-07-23 15:21, GhoStar wrote:

The point is KICK-ASS multiplayer modes in Monkey Target, Monkey Bowling and Monkey Golf. I play those mini-games every week with friends, true gaming (gameplay) bliss. The main game is old-skool style gameplay, rock hard and still fun.

Oh... thanks! ^_^;

I already returned that game so... I won't be able to try that. In addition I don't have anyone to play with (this is why I liked SOOO much Soul Calibur, first beat'em up I played for countless hours, thanks to the Mission Mode).

Nidarrock
Jul 23, 2002, 05:28 PM
Ok here is two more:

Virtua Fighter 4 - While I love this series, 4 was just too damn deep.

Halo - While I was never into halo to begin with I did play it, and beat it, and still felt that it was just another fps.

neko-chan
Jul 23, 2002, 05:34 PM
On 2002-07-23 15:28, Nidarrock wrote:
While I was never into halo to begin with I did play it, and beat it, and still felt that it was just another fps.

While I didn't go so far I had the same feeling as you. "Just another FPS."

Reno
Jul 23, 2002, 05:50 PM
Majora's Mask (N64) - The game had a poor main villain (some Skull Kid in a mask o_O), the storyline wasn't exactly great, there weren't enough dungeons and most of which were pretty boring and the only good transformation mask was the Zora mask, so I ended up being as bored as hell having to do big chunks of the game using the other two

Black & White (PC) - This game was in development for so long, I was really hyped up for it, it sounded like such a cool concept... I was really dissapointed, the gameplay is very boring/annoying and the fighting engine sucks

Unreal Tournament 2003 (PC) - I loved Unreal Tournament and I was really looking forward to this, but the game is really slow paced compared to the original, the guns are poor and you can only have up to 8 bots (somewhere around there anyway o_O)which are all really easy to kill anyway

Alielle
Jul 23, 2002, 05:53 PM
Skies of Arcadia. I was prepared to like this game, but it wasn't fun at all. Boring cliche characters + battles every 5 seconds + hour-long ship battles = controller thrown out the window.

Crazy Taxi 2. Yeah, I know I shouldn't have expected much, considering I didn't like the first one very much...

Giga Wing. Bleh...

Sega Smash Pack. Damn, that crappy emulator it used really stunk.

Dangerous55
Jul 23, 2002, 06:13 PM
Is UT 2003 even out yet?

I got lots:

Rogue Leader: Rented it yesterday, levels are boring. Not a bad game though, some reason I just dont like it. First one was better.

Max Payne: Overrated cookie cutter trash.

Dino Crisis: Couldnt get into it, no ammo at all in it. Dino Crisis 2 was much better, I still play it.

MGS2: great game, but the story was horrible, and Raiden was a flaming smellbag.

Timesplitters: I still like the game, but overrated.

All FF's: I HATE them for some reason.

I got more, let me think damnit.

Reno
Jul 23, 2002, 07:00 PM
On 2002-07-23 16:13, Dangerous55 wrote:
Is UT 2003 even out yet?

I don't think so, but one of my friends got the demo from somewhere and it wasn't so great... the final game might be better but unless they change the gameplay a hell of a lot then i'm not expecting anything spectacular, it's far too slow paced

Dangerous55
Jul 23, 2002, 07:15 PM
Well all demos are slow paced. UT 2003 will prolly be good.

Sojo
Jul 23, 2002, 08:01 PM
Rogue Leader(GC): Nintendo Official Magazine did its usual, hyping up every single game no matter how shite...
Too few basic levels, bonus levels are too hard to obtain, really really really crap music.

Rogue Spear(DC): Maybe I just got a dud disk; I found the graphics sub-master system, and totally unplayable. Graphics on box did in no way match game; it must have been a dud disk, it must have!

Some Rally Game for N64: Was really crap, very slow, and fogging reduced vision to what was 15ft in front of car.

Tomb Raider(PC): All tits, no fun. A very rare combination indeed!

Soul Reaver(PC): Kept getting told it was the dog's Balearics. Wasn't all that though. Interesting world, but hyped out of proportion.

I'm sure I'll think of more later on...

Reno
Jul 23, 2002, 08:09 PM
On 2002-07-23 17:15, Dangerous55 wrote:

Maybe...
But the demo of the original was very fast paced, in fact it was so fast you could get shot two seconds after you respawned, now that's how UT was meant to be... not this, walk around for a while, see somebody and shoot them a few times until they die, UT2003 approach...

I guess we'll have to wait and see :/

Ian D
Jul 23, 2002, 08:19 PM
On 2002-07-23 18:09, Reno wrote:

On 2002-07-23 17:15, Dangerous55 wrote:

Maybe...
But the demo of the original was very fast paced, in fact it was so fast you could get shot two seconds after you respawned, now that's how UT was meant to be... not this, walk around for a while, see somebody and shoot them a few times until they die, UT2003 approach...

I guess we'll have to wait and see :/

Yeah man, I love UT. I still play it probably once a day... very fast paced. Grab the rocket launcher shoot it at an oncoming enemy's feet and see them fly off the level, an oncoming redeemer so I front flip behind it and then shoot it down with the shock rifle before it enters the base and then turn around and... get sniped in the head. Heh, it's a very fun game though.

ANYWAYS, here's a small list of a few games I didn't enjoy.

Majora's Mask: I guess I'm not alone on getting very bored with this game... Ocarina of Time got my hopes up too much for this one.

Eternal Darkness: Everyone was saying how cool the game was, and I admit it is pretty good, but it's not as good as everyone said it was.

Yoshi's Cookie: YES THIS GAME SUCKS IT'S FOR THE SNES AND NEVER BUY IT! AUGH!!

Luigi's Mansion: Unfortunately the first game I bought for the GC and it... well, it sucks. Very easy and very boring, I never even bothered to finish this one. I think I'm going to sell it for $5.

Pikmin: It was fun at first, but it got pretty boring...

Goemon's Great Adventure: It's a game for the N64 following the Mystical Ninja series. It brought back co-op that the first N64 Mystical Ninja didn't have, but the co-op was about the only good thing. The other N64 Mystical Ninja had an actual story and an adventure you followed... on this one you just collect wooden passes to get onto the next stage, not fun.

Wrestlemania X8: Yes, the game was very fun and I liked the new steel cage and how you could send your opponents through the top of the cage and into the ring, but the player creation sucked.

Well, don't think I hate the GC or anything, it just doesn't have many quality games out YET.

Dangerous55
Jul 23, 2002, 09:39 PM
On 2002-07-23 18:01, Sojo wrote:
Rogue Leader(GC): Nintendo Official Magazine did its usual, hyping up every single game no matter how shite...
Too few basic levels, bonus levels are too hard to obtain, really really really crap music

The music is the best part of everything Star Wars!

Vitamin_D
Jul 23, 2002, 10:56 PM
The 9th game in the Final Fantasy series...I HATE that game.

Nerd
Jul 23, 2002, 11:11 PM
Mission: Impossible for the n64 ..this shit was in development forever too!

ff3/6: sorry...just dont like it, never did

sonic spinball: dreary and irritating

CodeName62
Jul 24, 2002, 01:59 AM
On 2002-07-23 19:39, Dangerous55 wrote:

On 2002-07-23 18:01, Sojo wrote:
Too few basic levels, bonus levels are too hard to obtain, really really really crap music

The music is the best part of everything Star Wars!

Yeah, I'll agree with you that the music from Star Wars is graet. However, I can't stand that music that is on the menu section.

LostHero
Jul 24, 2002, 02:28 AM
Omfg... some of you make me sick.

SorceressofTime
Jul 24, 2002, 06:55 AM
okay, im only gonna rant on about two 'only' (ive got more but im a person who appreciates games... for some reason)

ff8 - storyline from start to middle was good. from middle to end, i was like, "wtf? is going on?"

resident evil: survivor - what..the...hell? ah who cares, wanna KILL! >=[

Ranma
Jul 24, 2002, 08:46 AM
Majoras Mask (N64):I didn't like the fact that you had get everything done in a certain time.

Timesplitters (PS2):I didn't like the controls for this game.

Wrestlemania X8 (GC):It was preety good for like the first couple of weeks then it was getting boring and I don't like the endless career mode. When you get knocked down in the game you have to button mash your heart out!

Luigi's Mansion (GC):I think they could of did better on Luigi's game.

Wreckless (XB):They should have added more misions to the game to make it longer.

Pickman (GC):After you beat it the first time you just don't have the feeling to play it again so that is why I sold my copy

Don't get me wrong, I like the GC as much as I like all of my sytems!