PDA

View Full Version : DS Rant.

SpikeOtacon
Mar 28, 2005, 05:27 PM
Ah, the DS. Such an innovative little bastard. Dual screened gameplay, touch-screen controls, built in microphone...The ultimate gimmick machine. What is often said about the DS is that it is too innovative for it's own good, and Nintendo tries once again to be too hard to be different. At launch, only two games stood out for many gamers: Mario 64 DS and Feel the Magic XY/XX. Mario being a re-hash of the Best Seller 'Mario 64', the other a completly original game that had mechanics slightly similar to 'Wario Ware Inc', seen on the GBA a few years before. Months have past, and very few games have been released that actually take advantage of the DS's capabilities, both Graphically and control wise. So now we look to the future and say 'What does the DS really need?'

I asked myself this question while pondering over the list of games out for it now. (As of this rant, that is March 27th, 2005.) Most of the games are just re-hashes of things already seen and overdone (Wario Ware, Mario 64, ect...) or games that promise the world, but are far from coming out (Electroplankton, Nintendogs, Jam with the band.) Recently, I debated selling my DS in favor of a PSP, which has more games that are visually and gameplay-wise appealing to me than what is currently available on the DS. But I thought, with current trends in games today, visuals are becoming perhaps too much, and the DS has exactly what it really needs to provide entertainment: The ability to draw lines on screen to form a picture, sprite, or something. (An example of this is the simplicity of Pictochat, yet how fun it still can be.) So what, then, does the DS need to become the non-gamers' gaming device? What does it need to hold our interest? I take a look at some things that may help the DS along the road.

AIDE ONE: Basic, yet breathtaking.

Certain games represent this slogan that I think more games should abide by. Rez being one of them. The graphics aren't lifelike, they are simple, yet at the same time incredibly complex. Enough to overpower the senses, creating a feeling of awe and put the user in a trance like state. Electroplankton for the DS is another example. The game is represented with simple sprites, bright and vibrant colors. Killer 7, our last example, uses the style of Cel-Shading to help aid it's storytelling, as well as to create the sense of confusion and twisted reality. Many call it a simple cop-out, I call it genious. Not every game has to be gritty and realistic.

One game I want to bring to attention in this section is Introversion's 'Darwinia', A genious RTS which doesn't need overly realistic graphics to get it's point across. It takes place in cyberspace, and everything looks like it came out of the movie Tron. Each 'Darwinian' is represented by a small green sprite, and each type of soldier or creature has it's own unique look. Often times, players have given names to the creatures to be able to associate them much more easily. For instance, I have taken to calling my Engineers 'Pi', because they look a tad bit like the 'Pi' mathematical symbol. The game's visuals, while simple, have often taken me aback by it's simplicty. To me, this game is beauty. To have this game on the DS would be priceless. The controls on the Touch Screen would be very useful for movement of soldiers, drawing of objects in the task manager, ect. It almost seems like it would be a tech demo for the DS.

AIDE TWO: More games.

As seen in the n64 era, not having enough games to satisfy the urge to play often times can make a system lose fans. The DS is no exception, and with it's current dry spell of games, it could end up having a lot of fanbase pulled out from under it. Now i'm not saying for companies to rush games and make them shitty, or for companies to make intentional shit games for the main purpose of getting them out the door to increase numbers. I'm saying what they need is more support, and that support should hopefuly follow Aide 1's motto.

AIDE THREE: More functionality.

Nintendo had praised up and down, left and right, backwards and forwards about how they want the DS to be about functionality. VP of Sales for NOA Reggie Fils-Amie has mentioned many times that the DS was about Innovation and Functionality, and pointed to the 'Blackberry' as an example. Blackberry being a portable data transfer unit, one that would send and receive emails on the go, send messages, recieve files, ect. So here we are, several months into the DS's launch, and where is the functionality? Will DS users get a taste of a word processor, a paint-ish program, an email system, even wireless internet? A program to keep DS users in the loop with thier friend's DS (Imagine Xbox live) would be nice. Not entirely original, but should be added to enhance the DS and keep the User Base closer together.

But alas, these are just some ideas on what the DS could use to increase it's staying power. I'm just a little dissapointed in how it has turned out, but maybe it'll take a turn for the better soon.

^That up there was a rant I did for my site, but I wanted to post it up in a public place for some feedback.

Outrider
Mar 28, 2005, 07:54 PM
Hey, I completely agree that Nintendo is not doing what they should be doing in regards to the DS.

They need to be pumping out good software, and it needs to really use the DS's innovation to its full extent.

Zelutos
Mar 28, 2005, 09:28 PM
On 2005-03-28 16:54, Outrider wrote:

They need to be pumping out good software, and it needs to really use the DS's innovation to its full extent.

Agreed.

Mixfortune
Mar 28, 2005, 09:36 PM
Nintendo seemed to have this problem at first with the Gamecube as well, that it took all too long of a timeframe in order to actually start releasing games.

At the moment, my DS is sitting nicely, waiting for future games. While it is rather a nuisance that games are taking their sweet time coming out, I know that eventually we'll all have forgotten that was the case.

It'll take time, but once the waves start coming, it'll be worth it. Least that's what I'm hoping.

Link00seven
Mar 29, 2005, 10:57 AM
I agree with pretty much everything you said, and i'm currently pondering if I want to sell my DS in favor of a PSP...

darthsaber9x9
Mar 29, 2005, 07:57 PM
For fuck sake guys, a new console comes out that is really innovative and you instantly want games that make the most of it? It will take time. We are already seeing some good games but this isn't like any other console. Games that make the most of the PSP are easy. If you want to talk about re-hashes, the PSP is surely a re hashed PS2 but smaller!

By the way I own a DS http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Skorpius
Mar 29, 2005, 11:10 PM
Actually, the major problem is people overestimating the DS and what it's all about, then getting disappointment because they set such high standards for something that was new.

Happens all the time.

I laugh at it.

HUcastShinobi
Mar 30, 2005, 04:25 PM
I think we need to contact nintendo before they release their project "Revolution" or else nintendo as we know it is fucked, big time...

SpikeOtacon
Mar 30, 2005, 05:20 PM
On 2005-03-29 20:10, Skorpius wrote:
Actually, the major problem is people overestimating the DS and what it's all about, then getting disappointment because they set such high standards for something that was new.

Happens all the time.

I laugh at it.

Sorry, but when Reggie Fils-Amie said that he DS would involve a 'wow' factor, and his talk of the Touch screen being 'revolutionary' one can't help but think that some things should be done to live up to the hype? After all, these are just my PERSONAL ideas on what I would LIKE to see come from the DS, not "THIS IS HOW IT SHOULD BE, FOR I AM GOD!!!1one".

Since you obviously don't like it, step away from the topic and put your hands on the counter.

SJ
Mar 31, 2005, 01:27 AM
On 2005-03-30 13:25, HUcastShinobi wrote:
I think we need to contact nintendo before they release their project "Revolution" or else nintendo as we know it is fucked, big time...

Um, what the hell does that have to do with the DS?

Dek
Mar 31, 2005, 01:36 AM
On 2005-03-30 22:27, SJ wrote:

To show Nintendo that they have to stop making the same mistake time and time again...

But onto the topic. The Nintendo DS, IMO, is a very good system. Great games so far as well as the backwards compatibility with the GBA games. However, as the author mentioned already, it has already lacks a library of its own.

While the Revolution will have backwards compatibility with the Gamecube, I hope that they don't make the same mistake and only rely on the Gamecube library for one or two more months and then start releasing games.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Arthas_Zero on 2005-03-30 22:41 ]</font>

HUcastShinobi
Mar 31, 2005, 02:55 PM
On 2005-03-30 22:36, Arthas_Zero wrote:

On 2005-03-30 22:27, SJ wrote:

To show Nintendo that they have to stop making the same mistake time and time again...

But onto the topic. The Nintendo DS, IMO, is a very good system. Great games so far as well as the backwards compatibility with the GBA games. However, as the author mentioned already, it has already lacks a library of its own.

While the Revolution will have backwards compatibility with the Gamecube, I hope that they don't make the same mistake and only rely on the Gamecube library for one or two more months and then start releasing games.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Arthas_Zero on 2005-03-30 22:41 ]</font>

thats exactly what i meant, people are just too lazy to compare what i said to the rest of this topic. but they should pump out like 50 games at the beggining or something, including a PSO http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Omega_Nova
Apr 1, 2005, 09:36 AM
On 2005-03-30 14:20, SpikeOtacon wrote:

On 2005-03-29 20:10, Skorpius wrote:

Happens all the time.

I laugh at it.

Sorry, but when Reggie Fils-Amie said that he DS would involve a 'wow' factor, and his talk of the Touch screen being 'revolutionary' one can't help but think that some things should be done to live up to the hype? After all, these are just my PERSONAL ideas on what I would LIKE to see come from the DS, not "THIS IS HOW IT SHOULD BE, FOR I AM GOD!!!1one".

Since you obviously don't like it, step away from the topic and put your hands on the counter.

The only reason I would buy a DS is for FF3j *Imagines Touchscreen commands* Other than that unless something awesome comes out no DS for me

funkid2
Apr 1, 2005, 05:45 PM
Acullty, the DS is going online, for free, nintendo is teaming up with gamespy..as my last issure of Nintendo Power reports..which as of right now i can't find...but the only catch was, as i rememebr it, you had to be near a wireless hot spot, which will probly be in short supply in teh rual area, anyways, that's waht i have to say

J3553
Apr 2, 2005, 03:15 PM
Yeah, the DS' first few months have been pretty dang sad. Far to few games. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_disapprove.gif

However, I'll be picking one up soon anyways as some cool stuff is finally coming. (Polarium, Meteos, Metroid Prime Hunters)

Right now the only DS game I'd consider buying is Warioware.

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Apr 3, 2005, 05:13 AM
On 2005-04-02 12:15, J3553 wrote:
Yeah, the DS' first few months have been pretty dang sad. Far to few games. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_disapprove.gif

However, I'll be picking one up soon anyways as some cool stuff is finally coming. (Polarium, Meteos, Metroid Prime Hunters)

Right now the only DS game I'd consider buying is Warioware.

Sad indeed.

I was recently at a Costco, which is like a warehouse/bulk store if you did not know, and there were literally 50 DS's in front of me for $175. Included in the package was the hardware, extra metal stylii, screen protectors, and Super Mario 64 DS.

Next to it was the DS game selection(which is less than a game only store, I know) for the DS: Warioware, Robots, Yoshi Touch and Go. The other stuff out there is pretty vanilla also.

Not much selection so far. Metroid Prime Hunters, Castlevania, etc. are coming titles which I am interested in playing, but I can't justify spending full launch price on the hardware to play these current launch and post launch titles.

I've seen one person buy a DS simply because it came out and was new, also someone buy a PSP simply because its new. They didn't give a reason other than that when I asked why they purchased those systems. :/

I'm going to have to have a reason to plunk down money on these hardware, and as of right now I don't.
No killer apps yet. No "Gameboy Killers" or whatever. Also, I do like handheld gaming, so I'm not biased towards the whole niche in the industry.

HUcastShinobi
Apr 3, 2005, 04:12 PM
Playstations "Fanboys" don't want Nintendo to beat them out, thats why they refuse to support DS at all...

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Apr 4, 2005, 03:41 AM
On 2005-04-03 14:12, HUcastShinobi wrote:
Playstations "Fanboys" don't want Nintendo to beat them out, thats why they refuse to support DS at all...

I find fanboyism ridiculous, on all levels.

You can state how great your opinion is of a game, no doubt about it, I thoroughly encourage it; but when you limit yourself to half or even a third(or less) of an entire (current)industry, you're just being left in the dust.

If you have never touched Nintendo games for any reason, you have missed out on a lot of quality gaming.

If you have never touched anything on Sony systems, you have missed out on a lot of quality gaming as well.

Ditto for XBOX/Microsoft.

Why limit yourself to having only one brand?

Why can't you enjoy the whole industry(considering you do have the cash to do so--not everyone can afford 3+ systems and games, I know all too well)?

Don't hate something just because you don't have it, and chose another option. No one can fault you for making your own choices.

Also don't let someone make decisions for you. If you end up buying a bad game here or there, don't fret. It happens to the best of us and we learn to make better use of our disposable income. Don't think that one or two(even more) people having a bad review or opinion of a game should deter you completely and take on their opinion.

Games are as varied as people nowadays, and probably always have been. No one is truly right or wrong when it all boils down to the fact that you are spending your money and enjoying what you spent your money on.

Yes. Sometimes systems break down easily due to manufacture error(I'm looking at you Sony!), some games are hyped into your face beyond belief and beyond mere peer pressure, and there are many bad games out there. That doesn't make hardware or software "bad" or something to be "hated."

Sure, compare all the examples and denouncing facts you want, someone out there is having fun with a system you don't like and there is nothing you can do about it.

*wipes brow* Man that took alot out of me.