PDA

View Full Version : When you purchase Episode IV, does it come with a Registrati

NickG
Apr 3, 2005, 09:42 PM
Can someone explain to me the concept of downloading EPIV, I want to know if I'm wasting my time making custom CD labels, Autorun features and DVD inserts for something that might be nothing more than a Registration Key and a small file to add to the first Blue Burst game.

Thank you

Getintothegame
Apr 3, 2005, 10:18 PM
Well, let me try to explain.

When you get the download, you are given a key that can be used only ONCE and once it's used, it's gone.

You can make CD covers for it. See, lets say your computer decides to stop working. With the CD, you now have a semi recent game, and you will have to update a little less files than per say, the BB disc.

NickG
Apr 3, 2005, 10:25 PM
In order to make an Autorun CD, I need a setup file.

Now if I were to format my PC or if let's say I want to bring the game to someone else's house because I want to play there while I'm visiting, will I be able to use that setup file of Episode IV to re-install it once more?

I mean is this key only used for the download part, or is it a key that you need to enter while you're installing Episode IV?

While I'm at it, can EP IV be installed without having to install EP I & II?

Tancient
Apr 4, 2005, 08:36 AM
You can install the game all you want without the key. But you will NOT be able to play episode 4 unless the Hunter's License you are logged in with has been activated with the key.

Episode 4 installs episode 1 and 2.

NickG
Apr 4, 2005, 09:46 AM
Oh, so EPIV is a full package. So how large is the setup file anyway? EP I & II is over 300MB, so is the full package under 700MB?

jayjaymist
Apr 4, 2005, 10:25 AM
You do not need to even make a cd.. Your char data is server side saving which means you can go to anyones house download the game put ur info in like your user name and password and youll be on. The computer that u want to play just need to download the game. And if you have epV under this account it will auto install it. If you reformat your computer.... which is weird just do a Disk clean up or a difragment This should be done every week.. Thats alot better then reformat. Just go to the sega website(when they have the download) download it enter ur info and urll be set http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif I done this alot with EverquestI I keep getting bored of the damn game. So ya do that ><

NickG
Apr 4, 2005, 11:16 AM
Young tech, the reason for making a CD backup is not to waist time and bandwidth downloading a 300MB and over setup file. You should not delete setup files, in the long run it saves you time. If I had to re-download setup files every time I needed to re-install Windows on a dead system that Ihave to repair, I wouldn?t be able to restore as fast as I do.

Also, young tech, there are plenty of reasons to re-install Windows, even XP. When you get corrupted system files, a Windows update patch that bugs out, a critical viral infection or corrupted registry, a scandisk or de-fragmentation won?t do squat for any of those problems. So it?s either a system restore if you?re running XP or 2003, a disk restore from a program like Norton Ghost if you have a Hard Drive to spare or a full re-installation.

Tancient
Apr 4, 2005, 11:48 AM
On my older computer, I used to do a low-level format and reinstall of windows, and yeah, having your cds of data stored instead of 'downloading' them is much, much quicker. Only problem with ep4 is all the patches and updates you'll have to download again.

NickG
Apr 4, 2005, 11:53 AM
OK, so now I'm being told that EPIV is not even a setup file?

I'm getting the feeling that no one here actually download it or tried it since I'm getting different answers http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Tancient
Apr 4, 2005, 01:33 PM
EpIV comes as a setup file (480mb)

But that doesn't include any updates, patches, etc. So you're still going to have to download those.

So, basically, I don't see what you hope to gain for making multiple cd-covers, labels, etc. Since you can't sell them. And giving out multiple setup files won't help any, as you'll still have to purchase episode 4 for each HL.

Make one for yourself, perhaps. But just a back-up cd makes much more sense than all the rest of the pretties.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Tancient on 2005-04-04 11:34 ]</font>

NickG
Apr 4, 2005, 01:59 PM
Hmm, I guess people from the Tech forum don't hang around the General forum to much. Here, this should help: http://www.pso-world.com/viewtopic.php?topic=97193&forum=1&11

So, if I understand, EP I, II & IV are part of the same package which is 480MB. Of course, updates need to be made, butit's still faster then a full download.

Tancient
Apr 4, 2005, 04:05 PM
On 2005-04-04 11:33, Tancient wrote:

But that doesn't include any updates, patches, etc. So you're still going to have to download those.
<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Tancient on 2005-04-04 11:34 ]</font>

Do you even READ my posts? http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_disapprove.gif

NickG
Apr 4, 2005, 06:58 PM
On 2005-04-04 14:05, Tancient wrote:

On 2005-04-04 11:33, Tancient wrote:

Do you even READ my posts? http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_disapprove.gif

Yes I did, you're the one who doesn't understand my reply. When I say

"Of course, updates need to be made, but it's still faster then a full download."

I mean OF COURSE as in of course I know.