PDA

View Full Version : about sigs.

Davion
Jul 24, 2002, 08:59 PM
how big can the sig be again? I read that it was 35k. One pic I got from my trial version of PC pso was 4 megabites, and it's a small pic. I've seen other pics taken by dreamcasts bigger than mine in pics. Do they take up the same memory?

Ambrai
Jul 24, 2002, 09:37 PM
Basically the way a picture works is that there are many different types of picture files. Each file can show the same picture, but be different in size. For example a bitmap (.bmp) of an everquest screenshot will be 2.4 meg in size. If I turn it into a jpeg (.jpg) it will be somewhere around 80k.

One of the ways you can change file types and sizes is by using xat.com's jpeg optimizer. Which you can directly download from here http://www.xatech.com/jpopt3.exe.

It is fairly easy to do as its basically just open the picture, move the slider to compress the picture and hitting save. Might seem semi confusing, but you will find it's fairly easy to do.

Sig limits are 180height by 600 width and 35k in size.

Best of luck on your sig making!

IceBlink
Jul 26, 2002, 09:12 AM
Hehehe, correction, that's 35000 bytes in size. ^_^; If it was 35K, it's actually a little bigger. o_O

(yes, I'm very picky on this subject) ^_^;

Russta
Jul 26, 2002, 01:01 PM
Don't you think there's more important subjects to be "picky" on?

rbf2000
Jul 26, 2002, 02:19 PM
Not when you're the proud owner of a dial-up modem.

Russta
Jul 27, 2002, 05:58 PM
I am the "proud" owner of a dial up modem but I don't mid waiting a little longer for some great artistry.

ABDUR101
Jul 27, 2002, 06:29 PM
On 2002-07-27 15:58, Russta wrote:
I am the "proud" owner of a dial up modem but I don't mid waiting a little longer for some great artistry.

It's not that big of a difference, but it has to be enforced I guess. Some people blatantly go far over the limit. And remember that sigs on a page of 15 posts add up. 15 people with 35000byte sigs, that is

15x35= 525kbs Half a meg. Now, if everyone went over, you can see how it would be a pain for pages to load. I used 56k for quite a while, I did'nt complain, but some people's connection is slower than others. And those who log on with the DC is even worse, no caching, so every page has to be loaded fully, no matter how many times it was viewed. :

Besides, it's not really a big deal. The sig limits have been 35000bytes for a very long time. I know it by heart http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Davion
Jul 27, 2002, 06:31 PM
Ok, Now I got it. The pic was in bitmap. Now It's in jpeg, Expect my new sig soon.