PDA

View Full Version : Avoiding Falz's Grants

Androphonius
Apr 8, 2005, 07:18 PM
I defeated Hard Falz with my FOmar last night, and I noticed that it is possible to avoid Falz's 3rd form's Grants attack - I did it twice in the fight. Thing is, I don't know how, is there a knack o this, or is it just random?

Dhylec
Apr 8, 2005, 07:52 PM
yes there is a chance of dodging the attack if you time your move right
resta dodging, item using, getting up from hit, etc
timing is very crucial!

Char
Apr 8, 2005, 07:52 PM
Sometime when you get hit by a regular attack you fall down. While you are down he shoots grants at you. When you get up you are invincible for awhile and while you are invinicble the grants goes off and yay you dodged it. Thats my theory. Mabye something else happened?

Zero132132
Apr 8, 2005, 08:18 PM
When you cast your own spells, there's a short period where you're immune to all attack. You may have simply hit some luck with this. It happens to me a decent amount of the time.. even learned to use it, but I mess up the timing more then is good.

Graptakular83
Apr 11, 2005, 09:05 PM
Ya, i suck at the resta dodge. I usually just let myself get hit by the last of the blue homing ball/laser thingies. Since he casts grants after that, im usually still on the floor at that point. I call it the "pity dodge" (Never hit a man while he's down!).

A-P
Apr 11, 2005, 09:45 PM
Well, I'm a hunter, so I have the Generic " Bring it on" attitude. It was like that when I killed falz on ultimate mode too. Luckily, the pity dodge as stated above is a good tactic, but you should bring some resist/saints for the third round because if you depend on that dodge but get hit and die, well, I hope you have my attitude of " ... I regret nothing! " and go on smiling.

Fossil
Apr 12, 2005, 01:48 AM
There's a few ways you can attempt to dodge the grants. The little blue orbs that he fires at you pre-grants, if you let the last couple hit you, you'll get knocked down and have the temporary invulnerability when he comes to do grants so it won't hurt you.

You can also try timing a Resta to heal you the very second the grants hits you. Sometimes you'll heal yourself and not take damage, other times you'll just get hit. It takes lots of practice to master.

Androphonius
Apr 12, 2005, 05:31 AM
I know about the short periods of invincibility that can be attained as you mention.
What I am refering to is avoiding Grants entirely, through no action of my own except for running. I was just running around the level, avoiding all the blue orbs, kept running, got targeted by Grants (you get that glow around you a little before it hits). Then the glow got "left behind". I kept moving, but left a patch of light behind me on the ground. When Grans finally finished casting, it was the ground that got hit, not me.
This happened more than once, and I don't know how or why.

Saffran
Apr 12, 2005, 06:38 AM
You could also chnage your gear to a Holiness armor, a Sacred Guard, 4 Resist Holy and ignore Grants altogether.

cks
Apr 12, 2005, 07:15 AM
The tip to Avoid the Grants
When he fires the shots of, um, whatever they are at you, get hit by the last one. When you stand up, cast resta immediatley. Walah (however you spell it) you have succesfully dodged Falz's grants!

Butoden
Apr 12, 2005, 07:27 AM
On 2005-04-12 03:31, Androphonius wrote:
I know about the short periods of invincibility that can be attained as you mention.
What I am refering to is avoiding Grants entirely, through no action of my own except for running. I was just running around the level, avoiding all the blue orbs, kept running, got targeted by Grants (you get that glow around you a little before it hits). Then the glow got "left behind". I kept moving, but left a patch of light behind me on the ground. When Grans finally finished casting, it was the ground that got hit, not me.
This happened more than once, and I don't know how or why.
Yes happened to me once too. I think it's more luck than skill though http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

Maridia
Apr 12, 2005, 07:29 AM
Doesn't Grants have a chance of hitting, like Megid? I've fought Falz quite a number of times, and I can say that only once, out of all of them, did he use Grants on me and nothing happened. I hadn't fallen over from the blue orbs, I hadn't used resta, I hadn't used an item. None of those apply. It just.. didn't work. I never actually thought about it until I saw this thread.

Come to think of it, doesn't he shoot megid at you when he flies up while he's linked to a character? That has yet to work on me. Of course, now that I've said that, it's so going to kill me next time. D:

So, don't both spells have the tiniest chance of not working? Or is Falzy special 'cause he's the last boss? I'd love to know.

Butoden
Apr 12, 2005, 08:25 AM
I believe Falz' Megid only works on Ultimate.

Androphonius
Apr 12, 2005, 08:53 AM
So it just Grants ocassionally "mis-firing"? No method that I was accidentally stumbling upon. Rats, cause Falz' Grants is really cheap.

Butoden
Apr 12, 2005, 09:10 AM
I only had this when I moved alot. Maybe Falz loses sight on you or something lol http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

A-P
Apr 12, 2005, 09:40 AM
On 2005-04-12 06:53, Androphonius wrote:
So it just Grants ocassionally "mis-firing"? No method that I was accidentally stumbling upon. Rats, cause Falz' Grants is really cheap.

Odd... He never missed me with it.. I think it really is luck, because Grants is a auto-target and will usually follow a moving target.

Maridia
Apr 12, 2005, 10:15 AM
He didn't miss me with it, that's for sure. The spell went off, but nothing happened. And this was offline so lag wouldn't apply even if it could be a factor.

Graptakular83
Apr 12, 2005, 10:38 AM
Ive had that "do-nothing" grants dodge happens to me more than a few times, and i always saw it as luck that i didnt get hit. I see it entirely possible for even grants to miss sometimes. But moving around seems like the only thing to do, and hope that you get lucky. No skill there.

Maridia
Apr 12, 2005, 12:23 PM
Tycho says that Grants has a 100% hit, so.. I have no friggin idea what to make of what happened to me. It also should have done damage for sure. How strange. :/

Rianna_Type1
Apr 12, 2005, 12:38 PM
I think dodging Falz' grants is all in your mind. There is no way to dodge it, with the exception of you either being invincible by a mag or getting up from being knocked the fuck over on the ground while it's being casted on you.

Dodging it via a Resta, item, or whatever the hell else you claim obviously happened in your heads.

I agree with Tycho on the 100% hit thing.

Played the game over 4 years now and it's always been like this.

Being knocked over now from spell damage is a bit goofy, it didn't used to be like that on Dreamcast, making his Grants followed by an immediate swipe much more lethal. Even more lethal is the fact that his swipe did 1250 damage online in Ultimate on the Dreamcast but now only does like between 850-900.

cks
Apr 13, 2005, 01:23 AM
but if you read what i said, get hit by the last blue ball..and then cast resta

it works..seriously...just try it..

Maridia
Apr 13, 2005, 04:58 AM
Look, I wouldn't have posted if it had "all been in my head" so lay off. I know how often people get flamed or made to feel stupid for posting false stuff, so I would never put anything unless I was 100% sure it had happened to me. I said it only happened that one time. And I was just as surprised and confused. So, who knows what happened, but I know I wasn't imagining it. No need to be rude about it. -_-

Rianna_Type1
Apr 13, 2005, 05:12 AM
I'm just saying that I'm almost 100% sure that, perhaps you guys who are wrapped up in the heat of the battle, thought you saw something happen but it really didn't.

As I'm sure everyone who plays the game knows, the game has an invincibility window. This window is triggered when you either get hit or you are knocked down. However, offline this window is pretty huge. Online, this window is quite smaller. In fact, it gets smaller and smaller as you increase difficulty. In Ultimate mode online, the window is pretty much absolutely gone. Even in Ultimate mode offline, you still have the invincibility window.

I'm sure that you guys whomever had Falz' Grants "miss" you, like I said, have probably received a hit just before you got hit with the Grants OR you were getting up from being knocked on the ground OR you were made invincible by a mag and thus you took no damage.

Resta dodging? Bullshit, imho.

Maridia
Apr 13, 2005, 06:57 AM
Well, you can believe what you want, but all the blue bullets had missed me, my mag doesn't have invincibility and I hadn't used any items. As it was, he smacked the hell out of me immediately after. So.. oh well, forever a mystery, I guess. Nothing worth arguing over.

Butoden
Apr 14, 2005, 03:09 AM
Yah it happens. It's unexplainable but it does. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif