PDA

View Full Version : I hate computers... (or at least Compaq)

Ketchup345
Apr 12, 2005, 07:16 PM
My Sunday night was spent removing a Hard drive from my old computer so that I could reformat it (don't ask why I had to take it out to reformat).

It was a pain in the ass. Has anyone ever heard of requiring the expansion cards, mother board, power supply, and front cover just to remove the hard drive? It isn't fun. I hate whoever designed that computer (Compaq Presario 7360). I was trying to pull the front cover off, but there were two (well hidden) screws holding it in place, resulting in hurt fingertips (from the clips).

And today in computer class first period, I got a RAM cut somehow. I was trying to place a stick of RAM into another style Compaq (the ones that can be used as either a tower or desktop).
Or I may have cut it on the actual computer case itself (the metal part), but a RAM cut sounds more interesting. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Rianna_Type1
Apr 12, 2005, 09:14 PM
Compaq hates you too, just fyi.

Blue-Hawk
Apr 12, 2005, 10:40 PM
How old is the Compaq? My brother had an OLD HP that I thought of maybe salvaging for parts and had to do some really annoying things to get into the case.

Nai_Calus
Apr 12, 2005, 11:41 PM
Heh. Reminds me of my old-ass(8 years) Compaq desktop. I was gonna use it for a demonstration on installing a hard drive... Until I actually got into the damned thing, lol.

Things which must be done:

Remove powersupply.
Remove RAM.
Remove PCI cards.
Remove drive bays.
Remove all other drives.
Get screwdriver which is either extremely long or extremely short so you can actually get at the third mounting screw... Ugh. I wound up just taking in my actual production computer. You can actually get at that one. XP

Not as bad as the old Hewlett-Packard, though! Had to literally physically destroy the case to get that hard drive out.

Ketchup345
Apr 13, 2005, 05:53 AM
On 2005-04-12 20:40, Blue-Hawk wrote:
How old is the Compaq? My brother had an OLD HP that I thought of maybe salvaging for parts and had to do some really annoying things to get into the case.

5 Years maybe? I'll do a search on it after school. It'll be the computer I'm testing Linux on after the reformat (the HD was upgraded by a neighbor).

Edit: Yeah, the Restore CDs say 2000, and a few websites say that this model is from around 1999/2000.

Now I get to put it back together and do a Restore, then continue with my "project".

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ketchup345 on 2005-04-13 11:57 ]</font>