PDA

View Full Version : Photon Drop

Shiva91
Apr 13, 2005, 10:44 AM
I have gotten 36 in one run through the ruins 2 days ago, Is this a glitch? Every freaking enemy dropped one, well mostly, I have never seen so many red boxes before, is it cus I have alot with me?

Ryna
Apr 13, 2005, 10:51 AM
On 2005-04-13 08:44, Shiva91 wrote:
I have gotten 36 in one run through the ruins 2 days ago, Is this a glitch? Every freaking enemy dropped one, well mostly, I have never seen so many red boxes before, is it cus I have alot with me?

Each photon drop "drop" was an independent event that had nothing do with you carrying some around. You should feel pretty lucky that you did find that many. The odds of that happening are very small.

Shiva91
Apr 13, 2005, 10:57 AM
lucky?! I'm cursed, I want a motav or at least a RedMech but all I get is Photon Drops T_T

EJ
Apr 13, 2005, 10:58 AM
Well transfer them to another char then when you get online you an make a few photon spheres and add % to your weapons.

Graptakular83
Apr 13, 2005, 11:00 AM
36 photon drops???!! Jeez, in my first playthrough (norm-ult) i found like...12 total(at most!). Very lucky indeed as my ruins runs yield only silence claws. I'll take a few pity drops this way....

Shiva91
Apr 13, 2005, 11:00 AM
I did, and I just want to know why I keep getting them, I think the game is messing with me

Tycho
Apr 13, 2005, 11:08 AM
You should be happy, unless they drop from enemies that were supposed to drop good rares (like Motav <_<).
PD's have economical value, whereas common nine-star weapons without hit do not.

Shiva91
Apr 13, 2005, 11:10 AM
7 of the photon drops were Dark Bringers T_T No motav

SJ
Apr 13, 2005, 11:45 AM
fucking hell, you need to give your luck to someone else, i have alot of the rares i want, i'd rather have PDs >_>;;
36 in one run..fuck

Shiva91
Apr 13, 2005, 11:49 AM
lol, I told you I'm cursed

Neith
Apr 13, 2005, 11:53 AM
Gib PD's http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif No seriously, that's good luck (yeah, bad luck on Bringer's dropping PD's), but PD's are really useful! It's just a pain when an enemy you want to drop it's rare drops a PD....

Damn you Gi Gue. No really, damn you http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_argh.gif

Shiva91
Apr 13, 2005, 11:58 AM
http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif still on a J hunt? lol, I know what you mean, why can't they be a diffrent color? like Purple?

Neith
Apr 13, 2005, 01:33 PM
I bet the people at Sonicteam are sitting back laughing their heads off. (woot, lets make PD's the SAME colour as a rare drop, then people will play more to find their rares, so we rake in cash hand over fist!) Grand one that ST http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_argh.gif

Notos
Apr 13, 2005, 01:48 PM
Hah, so true. Watch, right before BB comes out in the states, they'll release PSO++ with purple PD boxes. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Skorpius
Apr 13, 2005, 03:12 PM
Red = Rare.
"Arms" "Tools" and "Guards" all have specific items in each group that are rare.
Photon Drops and Add Slots just happen to be rare tools.

Hrith
Apr 13, 2005, 03:25 PM
Once again, that is absolutely false, Photon Drops aren't rare anything, AddSlots are, PDs aren't, drop the bullshit.

The game handles PDs exactly the same as it handles mates, fluids, atomizers, materials, disks, grinders, scape dolls, etc.

AddSlot is a rare item, like Syncesta or Magic Stone "Iritista", that is completely different.

Trigrinder is rarer than Photon Drop. Is it a rare item ? no. Is it a red box ? no. Don't trust appearances.

Shiva91
Apr 13, 2005, 03:27 PM
you have a point, but why did they make it red then?

Hrith
Apr 13, 2005, 03:29 PM
I don't have "a point", I have game data.

Why they made it red ?

Ian-KunX wrote:
ST doesn't think

Or probably just so you will notice them.

Skorpius
Apr 13, 2005, 03:44 PM
On 2005-04-13 13:25, Kef wrote:
Once again, that is absolutely false, Photon Drops aren't rare anything, AddSlots are, PDs aren't, drop the bullshit.

The game handles PDs exactly the same as it handles mates, fluids, atomizers, materials, disks, grinders, scape dolls, etc.

AddSlot is a rare item, like Syncesta or Magic Stone "Iritista", that is completely different.

Trigrinder is rarer than Photon Drop. Is it a rare item ? no. Is it a red box ? no. Don't trust appearances.

You're wrong, but I won't argue with you.

rena-ko
Apr 13, 2005, 03:45 PM
if you state something, you have to prove it as well.

Skorpius
Apr 13, 2005, 03:47 PM
On 2005-04-13 13:45, rena-ko wrote:

I would rather not get into another argument with him unless I get your word that I will not be warned. I'm actually surprised that a mod is supporting the idea of another argument on the boards, especially between us two.

Mixfortune
Apr 13, 2005, 03:49 PM
On 2005-04-13 13:47, Skorpius wrote:

On 2005-04-13 13:45, rena-ko wrote:

I would rather not get into another argument with him unless I get your word that I will not be warned. I'm actually surprised that a mod is supporting the idea of another argument on the boards, especially between us two.

I think it's more like "don't post at all if that's all you're going to post".
But meh.

rena-ko
Apr 13, 2005, 03:50 PM
thing is, if it helps the topic, you two might argue.

warnings only get given when you two get personal, insulting or break any of the forum rules.

if you want to get personal, keep it to PMs.

Skorpius
Apr 13, 2005, 03:57 PM
My only mistake was the classification of Add Slots. They are Unique items, since they do not stack, so they are, indeed, like Syncesta or Magic Stone "Iritista". However, Photon Drops are also rare tools, but not Unique ones. So what if Trigrinder is more rare than a Photon Drop, they are different types of tools, thus that information is irrelevant. I'm not exactly sure what classification in Tools Photondrops would be, because they stack to 99 (like Spheres and Crystals). They might be a different tool class all together.

Now, to futher clarify:

Healing Tools (Mates, Fluids)
Techniques
Support Tools (Antidotes/paralysis, Atomizors)
Unique Tools (Syncesta, Add Slot, Magic Rock "Moola", Materials, Grinders)
Photon Tools (Drops, Spheres, Crystals)

That's what I've noticed, and it makes more sense than "OH SHIT, SONIC TEAM JUST MESSED UP!" Consistancy makes more logical sense than bashing the game, don't you think? And, besides, how harmless is this information? It makes sense, and you don;t have any proof against it, and how much will it really hurt if people think it's true? Trying to "disprove" it is really pointless and not necessary and seems more of a personal vendetta than actually trying to help.

EDI: Grinders and Materials would probably be in the same catacgory as Synthesis items, since they behave the same (fusing with weapons and characters). However, I'll put them into one catagory named UNIQUE to avoid confusion.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Skorpius on 2005-04-13 14:05 ]</font>

Mixfortune
Apr 13, 2005, 04:08 PM
There's another facotr to take in as well, and that's that things like Addslots and Photon Drops, etc., are new to EPI&II.

Just like how DC ver.1 rares (at least the 9 stars) were autotekked in ver.2, and how the new rares in ver.2 all had red/yellow transitioning text, it could just be that since the Photon tools are new to this version, they decided to drop them in red boxes as well (also factoring this is the first version with red boxes, they probably figured they may as well add the new Photon tools to the list).

This is just some random thing to think about though, although it may still be a factor.

Is it a rare? Well... that's more grey. How are rares defined? If someone considers the normal difficulty boss drop of Star Atomizer as its rare drop, then rares aren't necessarily red boxes. If rares are defined by a red box... it's a rare, although a "secondary rare", which is entirely possible.

And it's not necessarily a box color mess up either, as the only one that comes to mind is Secure Feet being a blue box, but that was because of a mess up on the number of stars on the item, not the box color itself.

Personally, I believe most will still refer to them as a secondary rare, despite whatever original plans the coding itself carries, or whatever the original intention of ST was meant to be.

Hrith
Apr 13, 2005, 05:04 PM
Fact: http://romain.bernardi.free.fr/pso/toolrates.xls

How your little ego wants to classify items is absolutely irrelevant. Game data > you.
There is a classification for all items in the game data, and there are only 5 categories:
-Tools
-Rare weapons/items
-Rare armours/shields/units
-Barriers (for merging)
-Amplifiers

That's how the game handles all the items in PSO. Any other category would be of human origin, and totally irrelevant.

Photon Drop is a regular tool item, there is nothing rare about it, end of story.

Mixfortune
Apr 13, 2005, 05:17 PM
In Skorpius's defense, ego has nothing much to do with it.
Also, as far as game data is concerned, PDs are still red boxes.

Ask ST themselves whether a PD is considered a rare item, until then there's no way to "prove" it.

ST's intention and what the game data says are different things. To say that ST messed up for having them as red boxes or whatever is fairly annoying. Not everything they do is some accident. People can't pick and choose which part of the game data is acceptable and which part is accident.

Besides, the term "rare" is skewed anyways, with branching definitions. For most, yellow text/red box is rare. A Rati or Sato is not necessarily rare, are these mistakes as well?

PDs are secondary rares, unless someone wants to get ST down here to clear this up, there's no proof, even in game data.

Hrith
Apr 13, 2005, 06:56 PM
I always go by the game data, nothing else has weight for me, not even ST's pseudo-intentions.

Game data says PD is a regular tool item, thus PD is a regular tool item.

The colour of the box has nothing to do with it. Amplifiers are not tool items, but come in green boxes, that's not relevant.
Like I said, appearences are misleading.

I don't see any occurence of game data being "accidental" or interpreted in such a way.

The game handles items this way, therefore I have proven that PD is not a rare item of any kind; further arguments would be personal, and can't be taken into consideration in front of facts.

ZodiacNKnight
Apr 13, 2005, 07:38 PM
ST should have given the PD's their own item design.
Just like how the presents, chocolate, Easter eggs, etc... Have their own item designs.

When a PD is dropped it should probably look like a tiny little white/blue orb that could sparkle, glow or something...

The Photon Sphere could just be like a bigger version of an orb. Maybe the size of a fist that could glow/sparkles.

It would have been a lot better this way in my opinion...

EDIT: Picture example of an idea...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v330/FallenAngelicLeo/photondrop.jpg

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ZodiacNKnight on 2005-04-13 18:01 ]</font>

Skorpius
Apr 13, 2005, 08:05 PM
On 2005-04-13 16:56, Kef wrote:
I always go by the game data, nothing else has weight for me, not even ST's pseudo-intentions.

Yet you agreed Frozen Shooter had extra range, when game data doesn't say this. You're also the one who goes against game data and made up a classification for Spread Needle/S-Rank Needle.

Quite frankly, Kef, I'm sick of your poor attempt to make me look bad, saying I am going off of ego when you're the one being an ass about it all.

That's why I didn't want to do anything, Rena-Ko, because Kef has to be a huge dick about everything.

Dhylec
Apr 13, 2005, 08:37 PM
ok, look like this is now nothing more than personal squabbles
we can all say this show is over folks, please catch our next exciting episode coming to a new post near you!