PDA

View Full Version : HUnewearl Challenge Tips?

PJ
Apr 13, 2005, 10:34 PM
You know, I'd like to think each hunter has their own strengths in challenge.

HUcast has the raw power (My preferred Hunter in challenge), HUcaseal has the accuracy, and HUmar has a nice mix of both (Minus the traps, his only downfall).

Now, the HUnewearl on the other hand, is a completely different story. It's weaker, and less accurate. It has no traps. It's heightened MST is useless when the Force easily outclasses them and should get all the force related items anyways.

So what can a HUnewearl do for Challenge is really what I'm asking, and any tips I can use for my own HUnewearl. I took her for a C3 game, and in like the second room I had lost my scape, and by the end of the first area I had lost all my mates http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_disapprove.gif

Actually, any info on the usefulness of non-android rangers would be nice too http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Hrith
Apr 14, 2005, 05:26 AM
HUnewearl is fine in Ep1 c-mode, just learn the maps, and get better.

You're the one that lacks skill, not the HUnewearl.

Don't attempt full combos if your weapon does not have hit%, not ever.
Try weak, or weak - weak, or weak - hard.
Try to land your hits after another hunter, so the monster cannot hit back -- usually, if you do this, the other hunter will do the same until the monster is dead.

HUnewearl and RAmarl can learn Resta in c-mode, and Lv 1 or 2 attack techniques, this certainly helps.

I really did not have any trouble with taking my HUnewearl to Bu-EI, neither did PhotonDrop.

The Cave stages are the most painful (hope for a brand, or dagger/sword with hit%), you'll do better later on.

The point of challenge mode is not getting hit, so don't get hit, the character you use is not a problem (at least in Episode 1).

PJ
Apr 14, 2005, 06:38 AM
The only problem I have with the maps are the buttons http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_disapprove.gif

And it would have been nice to be attacking with someone else if we weren't all complaining about ToH's FOing http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

SLON
Apr 14, 2005, 06:54 AM
Challenge is different from normal play. Unless you are playing TA, there is no point rushing. Take more time over stages; don't think you have to slug it out toe-to-toe with the bots, because that way you will end up losing. When I played with you and NinjaChao, you were both guilty of this.
If you want to see how to play Hunewearl properly, enlist Sharkyland. He plays Hunewearl very well indeed.

PJ
Apr 14, 2005, 07:07 AM
Damn everyone here and their honesty http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Well, I won't defend my FOing in C, but Ian said it best.

On 2005-03-16 11:48, Ian-KunX wrote:
I've tried c-mode FOing. I fucking hate it. Everyone wants you to do something different, and they're not afraid to bitch at you about it. 9_9

No! Be tech bitch! No! Be support bitch! No! Go get boxes! No! Do this! No! Do that! Arrgggh fuck you. >_> I should have used a FOmar just to piss people off. ~_~

It's hard when I've been told off and on what to do, that's why I kept forgetting to Shifta.

But because of how horrible that run was, I can't remember what happened XD

SLON
Apr 14, 2005, 07:25 AM
Forgetting to Shifta is OK. You got reminded about it a few times, but it wasn't a big deal with me. If you check my profile, you will see I play Fonewearl virtually all the time in cmode, so I know how difficult it can be to play the only Force.
Yes, the c6 we played was a very bad map; I doubt you will get one so bad next time.

Ryna
Apr 14, 2005, 09:28 AM
On 2005-04-14 05:07, SUPAH_CHAO wrote:
Damn everyone here and their honesty http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

It's hard when I've been told off and on what to do, that's why I kept forgetting to Shifta.

But because of how horrible that run was, I can't remember what happened XD

The important thing about FOing is that you need to ask your teammates a few questions before the challenge starts. These questions should include:
-Are we doing TA or just going for clear?
-Would you like me to be a pure attack FO, support FO, or someplace in between?
-Do you want Shifta cast on you at all times?
-Do you want Zalure cast on any of the monsters?
-Is it ok if I TP die?

Change your FOing style based on your teammates' responses. You'll also probably be able to get everyone on the same page if you ask those questions.

As for the HUnewearl, you have to keep in mind that she has lousy ata and atp. She is the least desirable hunter to use in cmode and is the most limited in the weapons she can use. Your best bet when using a HUnewearl is to find a set of Daggers with hit percentage and hold on to them.

Like Kef said, a HUnewearl and RAmarl can use low level attack and support techniques in the lower number challenges. After you get past a certain point though, you won't be able to use any of them.

If you really want to use a HUnewearl, it is best that you take her through Episode 1. It is the most forgiving episode in terms of challenges. You will find that in episode 2 challenge mode, HUnewearls are almost useless in e2c3 and e2c5.

rena-ko
Apr 14, 2005, 10:45 AM
the thing with nonbot-nonfo chars is that if they really intend to be techcasters, they not only have to find fitting tech disks, they also might have to steal the fo's mind mats to even learn them.

human rangers are actually only useful with the right gun. elemental, drain, dim - those are the kind of weapons that turn an useless weak ramarl into every players most welcome teammate (especially in 1c4).

also keep in mind that you best be entering existing games as fourth player, and only if you think youre not slowing everyone down with your class.

its true that cmode can be solved by any class and even only with 2 players within srank time, that just your skill matters, but you cant say who has an high enough experience with cmode to easily compensate a 'deadweight'.

i'd say, as ra in general or as human hunter, youre second choice. first goal is not to die and to support the damage char (huct or hucl) as best as possible.

Hrith
Apr 14, 2005, 11:19 AM
As for HUnewearl, Rena gave good advice. You can still ask Sharkyland for inputs.

As for FOing, I don't know who Ian played with, but when I recently took my FOmar through c-mode, I did not get diverging advice.

1c1 = FO just attacks, hopes for Barta for boss, Resta to give away mates.
1c2-1c4 = kill Nano with Barta, attack Guil Shark if no one is already attacking it. If this is not a TA team, you should not attack Pan Arms, but if the latter is stuck in a wall, it won't split, so Foie it to death. Shifta is a waste of TP, really, use it against Slimes if there is no more android with fire trap, and against boss. If you ever find Resta Lv 3, don't abuse it, other players can still heal themselves. Gizonde owns boss.
1c5-1c6 = Zonde Canadines if no one is hitting it, Zonde Canadines if it's flying and hunters can't hit it (both these directions apply to RA first, if there's one). Foie Sinows (both kinds), even if hunters are hitting it, it prevents Sinow from hitting back the HUs. Shifta begins to be useful. Again hope for Resta 3, most useful technique a FO can learn against Vol Opt >_>
1c7-1c9 = Shifta/Resta bitch, Zalure Belras, Zonde them if no one is around. Zalure is welcome on Bringers, too. You can try to Gifoie Sorcerers if there are 2 or more, it will destroy their crystals before they fire. Don't die at Falz, don't attack it either... don't attack anything, really.

All around = know the maps, don't gather items, usually, the FO is more useful than a non-bot, non-FO characters. If all other chars are bots, one will volunteer to gather items, not the HUcast, if any.
But then again, Ryna's advice is good, ask before the challenge starts "who collects items?", for instance.

ToH was hitting too many monsters, he needs to conserve TP more, but I quit because Saiffwin was still shooting Nanos after I told him twice not to.

We took PD to Bu-EI very easily, we will do the same with Kirin.

But one bad class is enough, HUnewearl + RAmar or the likes are to be avoided.
It's Challenge mode, not Suicide mode.

PJ
Apr 17, 2005, 06:36 PM
Alright, thanks for the advice, altyhough I only have one problem.

On 2005-04-14 07:28, Ryna wrote:
The important thing about FOing is that you need to ask your teammates a few questions before the challenge starts. These questions should include:
-Are we doing TA or just going for clear?
-Would you like me to be a pure attack FO, support FO, or someplace in between?
-Do you want Shifta cast on you at all times?
-Do you want Zalure cast on any of the monsters?
-Is it ok if I TP die?

The only problem with this is, since a lot of the challenge I do is with Japanese players, I don't know how to ask them. I know I can say, "Let's just take it easy this time" or "Let's go for SRank!" with the Word select to get the TA or clear question in. Is there any Word Select I can use that will generally be understood as some of those? (I know, stupid question)

EDIT: btw Slon, me and Kyle (Ninja Chao is an RL friend of mine) got through C6, with a semi-decent time ^_^; (And although he did get through C7, I kept disconnecting at the end of it -_-)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: SUPAH_CHAO on 2005-04-17 16:38 ]</font>

rena-ko
Apr 18, 2005, 01:05 AM
hm, you can condense most of the questions to a single word even Js with no english skills would understand.

"join ok?"
"Shifta?"
"TP die ok?"
"TA ok?"

the only thing i couldnt bring over without relying on some obscure wordselect would be the question for support or melee. in general, i'd keep my fo-strategy to what kef mentioned above and dont even ask them. they'd most likely adapt to your style anyway. they're Js, if they allow you in their team, they'll see you as further challenge *laughs*

SLON
Apr 18, 2005, 06:44 AM
Yes, I saw you playing C7. Well done. As for word select, perhaps the best one you can use with strangers is 'I am a beginner', before the game starts. That way they know what to expect.

TheOneHero
Apr 18, 2005, 09:53 AM
On 2005-04-14 04:38, SUPAH_CHAO wrote:

And it would have been nice to be attacking with someone else if we weren't all complaining about ToH's FOing http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Merely pay back for not waiting to do C-mode with me like you said you would. ;p

And I'm not that bad of a FO. >_>