PDA

View Full Version : Are we... masochist?

Notos
Apr 18, 2005, 02:59 PM
PSO is a very old game. There are more incarnations of PSO than the number of fingers on your hand! Everything in the game has been found, so there is no longer any mystery. Furethermore, excluding BB, the content cannot be updated. The new quests, while moderately intersting, are far and few in between. Everytime you log onto the game, you're doing the same thing you were doing the last time. And for how long now? Months? Years?

ST's attitude toward the game is not helping either. How many times have you lost your precious items to random FSOD? While I can understand there might be hardware limitation on the DC and GCN to not save your items, I cannot understand why does it also happen on xbox. Since you do not lose item when your game crash on PC version, I see no reason why an xbox, which is practically a computer, behaves otherwise. The programming of this game certainly can use some more quality checking.

Then of course, there are the AR kiddies who go around destroying your hard earned characters. Sure, there were GM's. But where are they now? Also, I'm sure most of you know by now that reporting a hacker to Sega does nothing.

I'm not here to bash Sega or ST. Please don't take it the wrong way. I'm posting this because I want to learn something from the long time players. Why do you keep paying Sega money to play this game? What makes you keep coming back while there are plenty of better games out there? Thanks for your time.

PS Not sure if this should go under rants after I re-read what I typed. >.>

Rianna_Type1
Apr 18, 2005, 03:04 PM
On 2005-04-18 12:59, Notos wrote:
I'm not here to bash Sega or ST. Please don't take it the wrong way. I'm posting this because I want to learn something from the long time players. Why do you keep paying Sega money to play this game? What makes you keep coming back while there are plenty of better games out there? Thanks for your time.

Despite the number of various online games out, there is simply nothing that captures the feel of PSO.

There isn't an online game that captures the addictive, yet extremely simplistic, gameplay.

I mean, nothing really captures going into a Forest, Cave, or whatever the hell else you want to go to, with three good buddies and slaughtering the fuck out of tons of evil which comes your way in arcade-style combat. =P

Plus, when I play, I'm always meeting really cool people to talk to and hang out with. It's just very enjoyable.

PSO is so relaxing and the best part about it is that PSO is a game you can pick up, play for as long as you want, put it down, and still have made progress.

PSO, to this date, is still the best online game ever created, in my humble opinion. (That is, until PSU comes out. ;D!!!)

Ryna
Apr 18, 2005, 03:13 PM
ST's attitude toward the game is not helping either. How many times have you lost your precious items to random FSOD? While I can understand there might be hardware limitation on the DC and GCN to not save your items, I cannot understand why does it also happen on xbox. Since you do not lose item when your game crash on PC version, I see no reason why an xbox, which is practically a computer, behaves otherwise. The programming of this game certainly can use some more quality checking.

Actually, the XBox is a computer. So are the Dreamcast and Gamecube consoles.

The difference between Blue Burst and previous console incarnations is that almost everything is done on the server on BB. On the console versions of the games, most things are handled by the local console. Using this architecture, previous incarnations of PSO can be played in an offline environment. This was an important selling point when the game first came out since only a small fraction of all Dreamcast owners went online with the system. Some of the disadvatages of a setup like this is that users can cheat and experience FSODs.

The reasoning behind losing your items during FSODs is because Sega did not want items to be easily duplicating. Unfortunately, that plan didn't work out....

I think the reason that most people keep going is because of the social interaction.

After playing with people for hundreds of hours, you build a rapport with them and it becomes harder to quite outright.

PS Not sure if this should go under rants after I re-read what I typed. >.>

This should probably go to Rants.

Rianna_Type1
Apr 18, 2005, 03:21 PM
Oh, I guess I totally missed parts of your post because I skimmed it.

Since you do not lose item when your game crash on PC version, I see no reason why an xbox, which is practically a computer, behaves otherwise. The programming of this game certainly can use some more quality checking.

I know why this behavior occurs as I've dealt with all the versions intensely.

The PC version of the game, at least version 2 and not BB, saved your character data EVERY SINGLE TIME you got an item, dropped an item, picked up meseta, or equipped something.

Due to the PC using the hard drive and the character save files being so small, the save was instanteous and you never really noticed it.

The XBox, Gamecube, and Dreamcast versions handle saves differently.

Offline, these versions do not save at all, only when you quit the game.

Online, however, the game only saves when you drop an equipped item from your inventory, when you change areas, or whenever you visit the bank.

The only thing the game saves is what you have equipped and what's in the bank. Things that are outside this scope are only saved when you fully quit the game and go back offline.

This was done to prevent duplication of items and if you think about it, it makes perfect sense.

Had items that you did not have equipped did not get erased when you lost power to your Gamecube or got FSOD'd, you could simply just take all the weapons you wanted to dupe, drop them on Pioneer 2, then turn off your console. When you reloaded, the weapons would still be in your inventory but also on the floor of Pioneer 2. This is a no-no and this is why the consoles handle the saves the way they do.

Sega figured if you got FSOD'd, at least you'd keep your equipment and bank items since they've added saving for whenever these items are modified.

As it would be very annoying for the game to stop and save to the memory card any time you picked up anything in the game, now wouldn't it?

Sitka
Apr 18, 2005, 03:40 PM
Ghost in the machine.

There's this vague image I have of some jedi-type master lurking in the shadows who sometimes shows up to lend a hand in a challenge mode run or in a random game.

The veterans all know him.

That's the ghost - the legend. His/her skills are legendary. His/her TA times are ridiculous. He/she has collected every damn item in the game.

Recognition.

Like the engineer in the bowels of the submarine on the Hans Doldinger masterpiece, Das Boot.

The reason some of us keep coming back in version after version and logging hour after hour collecting this rare, chasing down that egg, improving that TA time, taking yet another character to the 200lvl is that we want, some of us anyway, to be that guy.

We want to be recognized as really good at something.

For some, it's the legit Guld-Milla. For others, it's the documented, witnessed capture and unsealing of the legendary j-sword. For others, it's breaking the magic 2, 3, or 4 hour challenge mode time or posting a time that is truly unbelievable unless honorable veterans provide witness to the fact. That drives some.

For still others, it's the shits and giggles of meeting buddies, drinking beers and yucking it up while you slaughter baddies.

It's that next rare drop, that next level, that next egg, that next TA run.....the next thing.

It's meeting others who like to do the same thing you like to do.

There are so many reasons to like this game and that is what keeps bringing so many of us back to the next version - I currently have four versions and many have more than that.

No other game I have played has kept me coming back like this one has. And no matter how much I have accomplished (using that word lightly), there is always something more that I would like to do.

That is the addictive nature of PSO.

sSeldomToasTt
Apr 18, 2005, 04:29 PM
So beautiful Sitka... http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_cry.gif
I have to say, I agreed with most of that of which you said. But for me, it's mostly about my friends. I can say that since I started PSOX online 2 or 3 years ago that I have made some really awesome friends, and they know they are. Yes, you can make friends in the "outside world," and you can make new friends, but something about quitting PSO makes me long for those good times with my buddies when we tried to get the Purple Ring over and over and over but one person just kept dying, or when we stayed up late doing every quest we possibly could just to say we did. It never mattered to me, hacker or legit, everyone was a game player, and that was it. Whether jumping online in the holidays just to say hello in the fake lobby snow, or popping up to invite someone to a new quest, PSO was almost always about the friends and family I made while playing.

Daikarin
Apr 18, 2005, 04:55 PM

Remember what you felt when you first got in touch with PSO? I bottle up those emotions and relive them everyday. When players hear about a new version of PSO is coming out, they remember what they felt before: Discovering a new online world.

Despite the monotony of the levels, weapons, mags, and stuff, PSO is very well done. And when something is well done, one can never tire from it.

Rubesahl
Apr 18, 2005, 08:09 PM
I keep coming back because PSO is one of the most satisfying games I've ever played in my life. It has such a fun system that you usually just let the flaws pass by. For me, PSO is something very sentimental (Go ahead and laugh all you want http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif) But really, since the year it came out, I haven't found any online game to stay in as I've stayed in PSO. Most recently I played WoW, being one of the best MMORPGs it still doesn't compare to PSO's fun factor. In other games you usually have to login with username and password, then select char, then assuming you quitted in a town, go looking for a group or then walk to the quest you need to do or improve your tradeskills. It is also very time comsuming to be able to progress in these type of games. In PSO you just turn the console/PC on, wait for game to load, online mode, char and go to your fav block and find someone to play with. And single player is also fun indeed, plus trying to make the best mind or power Mag and doing all the offline quests to get the Soul Eater and Akiko's pan! Then switching from Ep1 to Ep2 back and forth and now playing offline multiplayer is also rewarding. Plus the music is something you always remember.

PSO fills many dimensions of gamer's satisfaction. Only game I've seen that ressembles PSO for now in this is Guild Wars and that's still in wait and see.

I don't mind giving ST money, even if they don't bring out that many quests anymore. I am proud to say I've gotten every version of PSO up till now. Call it sick if you want. Ver.1, Ver.2, Japanese Ver.2 for PC, GC, and finally Xbox version so I could chat online with my friends. I will also be getting Blue Burst, seeing it as the most refined version of the game (plus i have a l33t PC XD) So you see, PSO is deep in my heart and will always be there as a place where I've met so many people and had sooooo much fun.

Notos
Apr 19, 2005, 02:46 PM
Hmm... Thanks for explaining why do we lose items to FSOD, Ryna and Rianna.

I never really did figure out why did I come back to PSO. I still remember when v1 first came out for DC, I played it and found the graphics stunning and the combat system fun. It's better than the turn based RPG's combat system. After finishing normal mode, I went to hard mode and saw it was the same thing. That's why I got sick of the game. I didn't have internet connection back then so I couldn't go online.

Japanese v2 came out and I gave the import a try after hearing that there are two new stages. Too bad they are in battle mode only... I quickly saw that it was exactly the same game and got rid of it. Afterward, I didn't touch PSO again for a year or two.

Through pure coincidence, I found the PC version. I had nothing to play at that moment so I thought I might as well give it another try. Then I got hooked. But eventually got bored of the game from the same four maps and the lack of willing legit players. Weeks before I quitted the PC version, the cmode bug got me. But unfortunately, there were not that many cmode players on PC.

Finally, half being convinced by a friend, half from wanting to see the new maps, class and items, I got the xbox version. Right now, I don't know what my goals are in playing PSO. It has become something to do to kill time. I don't know if I'll even get BB.

WrathofGOD
Apr 19, 2005, 09:01 PM
Let's just hope that Sega has a more sophisticated databasing system for Blue Burst. With that sega COULD prevent all cheating.

FYI - server-side saving alone does not guarantee that the game will be cheat-free.

Evil_Althena8
Apr 20, 2005, 04:19 AM
I continue to come back to PSO after quitting time and time again. It's been since DC that I've played it online. However, I play offline with friends on Xbox. There are so many times I ask myself..."why the hell do I still play this game?". I suppose I can't let the memories go...and it's just so addicting. There's always something new to be done on the game for me. Even people that have nearly mastered every aspect of the game, collected every rare item, and have level 200 characters still play the game. I remember listening to the song "Can still see the light" after my uncle sold his dreamcast that I played PSO on. "Soon the dawn will come again, but what have I got, what has it cost me?" Is exactly the phrase that describes my PSO experience. I remember thinking to myself that one day I will re-unite with PSO...somehow, somwhere I will play again. And sure enough, I play on Xbox now with my friends.

PSO has such strong support going for it. It was the first game of it's kind. The first online console game. A true pioneer. Even though its glory has somewhat faded, it still remains one of the greatest games.

Drayma
Apr 20, 2005, 05:01 AM
It's depressing to see the same problems online but masochistic isn't the right term. I would say obsessive. I just power leveled three legit characters and they each raised a Ep. 2 special mag and you know what? I really don't know why I did, I just had to. Now thats obsessive.

AxelgearVII
Apr 20, 2005, 10:42 AM
Sitka is wise beyond his characters level I must say. Well said.

Tycho
Apr 20, 2005, 11:22 AM
Doing runs might be boring, but being with people isn't.

On 2005-04-20 08:42, AxelgearVIII wrote:

His GC-chara levels or XBOX-chara levels? http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

AxelgearVII
Apr 20, 2005, 11:25 AM
On 2005-04-20 09:22, Tycho wrote:
Doing runs might be boring, but being with people isn't.

On 2005-04-20 08:42, AxelgearVIII wrote:

His GC-chara levels or XBOX-chara levels? http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

::looks at Sitkas profile:: Awhaaa?! http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_eek.gif

Stag
Apr 20, 2005, 01:41 PM
As you can see, I don't post that often, but i've been a member and played PSO since day 1 basically... i remember when i went to toys'r'us and bought the game with my friends... i remember everything i've done with PSO... i agree with Rube... no matter what this will always be a great game and the community has always kept me having fun... Hanging out with DB, Korain, Heavens Eve, Wata, Cube, Azel, and all my old friends... its not just a game, you meet good friends and people online... it eventually becomes part of your life... a story to be told later down the road, about hanging out and having a good time...

Travis IV
Apr 20, 2005, 02:38 PM
its weird with pso, i too have been on since the first DC game and i cant get enough, its the same thing all the time,maybe for sme people, but who cares, its just FUN.its like when pong first came out...same thing all the time...but every1 loved it cuz it was unique and fun at the time.then of course it died, as will pso with time, but until then i will comtinue to enjoy it everytime i log on, regardless of hackers and everything, just avoid them, ive had plenty of issues with fsod and what not and its never gotten to me, i dont really care, cuz i juts log back on,big deal.well ill cya later guys

FOmar611
Apr 20, 2005, 03:05 PM
Well, dont you have a favorite video game that you play again and again, even after youve beat it? I think thats the same situation here. Also, when PSU comes out, isnt there a new story behind it? Which would (hopefully) provide new items and or gameplay? So its like a whole new game! ^_^

Rianna_Type1
Apr 20, 2005, 03:11 PM
On 2005-04-20 13:05, FOmar611 wrote:
So its like a whole new game! ^_^

Not like, is.

ice-slayer
Apr 20, 2005, 03:38 PM
When my friends first hooked me on pso I was glued to this game for the next two years then episode 1&2 came out I switched and I'm still playing. What makes me keep going is my friends and all the fun memories we have. I will say though that I did have a relapse from playing since I wasn't online but the memories brought me back.

Luis
Apr 20, 2005, 03:42 PM
all this game needs to be perfect is a end movie after every boss, and a sequel to the console like V2 to the dreamcast, maybe EP5 get yours chars to lvl 500 and xfer it from your old EP 1 & 2.

Stag
Apr 21, 2005, 12:28 PM
LVL 500 that would take forever..... 200 is bad enough, it seems like....

Rianna_Type1
Apr 21, 2005, 12:40 PM
On 2005-04-20 13:42, Luis wrote:
all this game needs to be perfect is a end movie after every boss, and a sequel to the console like V2 to the dreamcast, maybe EP5 get yours chars to lvl 500 and xfer it from your old EP 1 & 2.

An end movie after every boss? I guess that'd be fine for offline, but what exactly would happen in the movie?

V2 wasn't exactly a sequel to V1 on the Dreamcast, either. There was no plot changes, no added story at all. It was just an add-on with more weapons, stat adjustment, and level modifications which were almost no different in change compared to the backgrounds of Street Fighter II: Original to Street Fighter II: Hyper Fighting.

And, rofl, EP5? I love PSO to death, but I think the story should end at EP4, bring on PSU.

Also "omg lawlz" at level 500. I can't even hit 200. =( Highest is 153...

Stag
Apr 21, 2005, 12:53 PM
point exactly! Thank you...

bdedi
Apr 21, 2005, 04:03 PM
OK,

Here goes. I started playing this game, now understand that I am a forty year-old father. I played offline for six months, then went and bought the ASCII keyboard/controller via IMPORT, also had to buy my broadband adapter via EBAY, because no one was selling them at the time. I played online for nine months and they flew past. I met people and that was the real draw for me. I liked meeting people from around the globe and playing the game at all hours of the day/night. Then I was corrupted. I said screw this, and stopped.

Fast forward 9 months. My eight year old finds the game and starts playing offline with the kids from the neighborhood. They churn through several sets of characters till they want to play online. The wife freaks out about 'ONLINE' play and being a kid. I told no problem. I will watch him play. (Understand, I hadn't started playing till they went back online.) Now, I have a level 103 HUmar, and a level 112 FOnewearl. I have booked over 140 hours on each character. My sleeping schedule is shot. Have we been FSODed? Yes. Does it bother us? A little. Do we keep coming back? You bet we do. The people, the need to find that next RED box. The ability to change characters. We play on a GCN, and have four memory cards with characters. I think that is the only thing about the GCN that bothers me, only four characters per card. I recently had a chance to see the PC version. I like the fact that you can have 100 character files, but I won't trade the ability to sit on my couch and use a wireless controller with only 5 buttons to press plus the control sticks.

Will we play BB when it comes out... Probably, but I need to see what it costs. Will one license cover both PCs, or will I have to pay for a license for each of us? Will they ever port the thing across to a console? PSU, that is a whole other issue. Don't get me started!

-------------------------------------------------
Gandork II, Zelda', Scooby, and ABK all legit and members of The Lengends of PSO.

Luis
Apr 21, 2005, 06:52 PM
An end movie after every boss? I guess that'd be fine for offline, but what exactly would happen in the movie?

V2 wasn't exactly a sequel to V1 on the Dreamcast, either. There was no plot changes, no added story at all. It was just an add-on with more weapons, stat adjustment, and level modifications which were almost no different in change compared to the backgrounds of Street Fighter II: Original to Street Fighter II: Hyper Fighting.

And, rofl, EP5? I love PSO to death, but I think the story should end at EP4, bring on PSU.

Also "omg lawlz" at level 500. I can't even hit 200. =( Highest is 153...

yeah the movie for offline only, online wont have any movies, and i dont know whats inside the movie, just like every game out there.

and i was mention v2 because you can "upgrade" yours chars, and i would love something similar to the GC but not with the same story as EP1&2. Something more similar like pokemon Gold And Silver, that were a great upgrade to the pokemon Blue and Red, you got what i mean now?

and of course level 500 because you allready got yours chars at high level, and beating the new game faster with those chars wont make any sense, so it would be great also level up the enemies, making it harder and of course giving more experience points. but it will playing a new game from the start even with yours high levels chars, you got what i mean here too?

And it could be another name not PSO 5, but thats doesnt matter at all for me.

Notos
Apr 22, 2005, 01:25 PM
I would like to take a moment to thank everybody who has shared their thoughtful insight with the rest of us. At the time I posted this, I worried it might become a post with mindless bickering. But fortunately, I was proven wrong. Once again, thank you for your contribution and enjoy PSO.