PDA

View Full Version : What Microsoft says about XBOX PSO...

Kalbelgarion
Jul 26, 2002, 09:43 PM
Every once in a while I'd pop into the XBOX interactive help, where a friendly Microsoft rep. would answer my questions about XBOX games, etc. Every few weeks, I'd ask this question:

"Is Sonic Team's "Phantasy Star Online Episode I and II" coming to the XBOX this fall?"

And, usally, I'd get a reply similar to this:

"I'm sorry, but we currently have no information on that game. A game entitled 'Phantasy Star Online 2' is coming to the XBOX this fall, however."

Today, however, I got a different response:

"Yes, later this fall. The confirmed online games are: Unreal Championship, Ghost Recon, Phantasy Star Online Episode 2, Sega 2k3 sports titles, Armada 2, Shayde: Monsters vs. Humans, Microsoft's MechAssault and Midtown Madness 3, Revolt, NFL Fever 2003, Project Ego, Whacked, XIII, Dominion, Rainbow Six III: Raven Shield, Lamborghini Challenge, Project Gotham Racing, RalliSport, Amped, Counter-Strike, Star Wars Galaxies and last but not least, the next Halo."

These fellows get their info directly from a specific database.

Now, I'm not going to celebrate just yet, but methinks the evidence that XBOX PSO *is* Episode II in some form is piling up. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Marou
Jul 26, 2002, 11:24 PM
Cool, thanks for passing it along! The official Xbox website was kind of disheartening and I was loathe to buy the GC for one game.

GaMMa
Jul 27, 2002, 12:58 AM
Project Ego isn't online to my knowledge. Add another one to that list.. Citizen Zero, which will be the best MMORPG ever. http://www.citizenzero.com or check out the tech demo movie at http://gamespot.com/gamespot/filters/products/media/0,11100,468852,00.html . Right now its claimed to be for the PC, but MS must have persuaded them to change over because its for the Xbox as an exclusive now... They were looking for peeps to work on it and needed a resume and claimed it was a xbox exclusive...

SnAPPUrU-nyan-ko
Jul 27, 2002, 01:17 AM
http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/cat.gif Neat, but I'm still boggled as to which version Xbox PSO will be equivalent to.

Parn
Jul 27, 2002, 03:01 AM
On 2002-07-26 22:58, Gamma wrote:
Add another one to that list.. Citizen Zero, which will be the best MMORPG ever.

Talk to your average MMORPGer, and they have their eyes fixed on one game:

Star Wars Galaxies.

Mag_Launcher
Jul 27, 2002, 06:28 AM
I'm like getting some odd vibes from the guy who started this topic. Judging from his little comment in another topic, i'd say he's a GC hater. And I hate haters.

Kalbelgarion
Jul 27, 2002, 07:38 AM
???
What comment is that? I certainly don't hate the GCN. It's a fine console, but, IMHO, it has some disadvantages when compared to XBOX PSO. First, one has to buy an add-on to play online. Second, one has to buy many memory cards to have many characters (4+). Third, dial-up people will be around to slow down the gameplay of us people fortunate enough/with enough foresight to have BB.

Since I own an XBOX, I have no reason to buy a GCN at this time. I'll probably pick one up in the future, but I'll be happy playing Episode II on Microsoft's "little" black box.

I could understand some people thinking that "PSO2" was "PSOv2", but when M$ starts saying that "PSO Episode II" is coming to the XBOX...well, I don't think this game *could* be v2 anymore.

ERaZer
Jul 27, 2002, 08:06 AM
With a 59 memory card you can save 4 characters on the GC, and now since the 251 is coming/has come you can save 16 characters on a card. Is that little?

Mag_Launcher
Jul 27, 2002, 09:11 AM
ok, lemme break down a few things here...

1. Mal, you can still only have 4 char.s on the 251, because it was limited to that, meaning that memory wouldn't matter. PSO Episode 1&2 takes 25 blocks. No more, no less.

2. Kal, we don't need to buy many memory cards to have many characters, as yo think it is. each memory card can hold 4 characters each, but I guess you've been too busy gawking at the Xbox version to figure that out.

3. PSO runs almost flawlessly even with a 56k, and this one's gonna be no different. No need being all elitist and s*** because you have broadband and we don't.

4. GC will have more population, believe it or not. It has more sales in Japan, and well... they're not as fond of the box as most americans are, AND it has 56k support, so people who can't afford broadband can play, too. Now, I'm taking a guess here, but here's what I think the population ratio would be:
GC: JP: 60% US: 40%
Xbox: JP: 25% US: 75%
Xbox will have less because it's broadband only, which makes a BIG difference once you think about it. And by that time, they probably couldn't be arsed to play it if they didn't want to because there would be better material to play online by then.

5. Do you actually think that the Xbox version is gonna be superior? oh wow, voice chat and broadband only, big f***ing whoop. GC also has broadband, and we have text chat, which is actually better for this type of game. And plus, the GC version is gonna have less fanboy lamers (Like SOME people I know...) running around.
(And this is assuming that the Xbox version is a Ep. 1&2 port instead of v2, which I don't give crap about because I'm not gonna play it either way.)

Malkavian
Jul 27, 2002, 09:19 AM
hey the europeans doeasn't play PSO??? and the pso xbox won't have 25% japanese that's 2 much!!!

And Mag_launcher I see you thought erazer was me? you say Mal... well np but I think you did hehe

And refering to the topic, I wouldnt believe 2 much what M$ says, Sonic team is making the game, they know what the game will have.
It was M$ who said it would be simply psov2 in the xbox live japan announce

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Malkavian on 2002-07-27 07:21 ]</font>

Mag_Launcher
Jul 27, 2002, 09:30 AM
Damn... I forgot, your avatars looked the same and I thought he was you, lol. And I didn't factor in the UK people because it would screw with my predictions, lol.

RavenTW
Jul 27, 2002, 03:03 PM
Neat, but I'm still boggled as to which version Xbox PSO will be equivalent to.

As far as I can tell, it will be at least Episode 1.

On 2002-07-27 07:11, Mag_Launcher wrote:
1. Mal, you can still only have 4 char.s on the 251, because it was limited to that, meaning that memory wouldn't matter. PSO Episode 1&2 takes 25 blocks. No more, no less.

So, your saying we can't have multiple save files?

Mag_Launcher
Jul 27, 2002, 03:13 PM
Yes, that's right. Which suprisingly holds all 4 characters. (I'm not lying either, this was real info from an Ep. 1&2 Trial user. He said even with 4 characters on the card, it's still 25 in total. And what's even more odd, is that the character file is only 11 blocks of that 25.)

Defend
Jul 27, 2002, 03:39 PM
I don't call not having BB a lack of foresight.. -_- Geez.
You talk like BB costs nothing, then complain about having to buy.. a modem. Dialup has a realistic cost. BB doesn't.

PSO was designed, from scratch, for dialup interaction. If you worry about dialup players ruining your fun, PSO is the last game that will make it apparent.
Voice chat, in PSO, is a nail in the coffin imo.

I'm skeptical about a rep saying which version. Not just Microsoft, just many corespondance reps often don't know what they're talking about.

25 blocks per 4 characters? Wow.. especially with like.. that's 920 items its recording too.

ERaZer
Jul 27, 2002, 04:03 PM
Yeah, but I hope ST changes it in the final version so tha you can have more then 4 characters...(I will probably not even have 4 but its bad that there is a limit)

Mag_Launcher
Jul 27, 2002, 04:23 PM
Well, you can buy another card for about $10-$15.

Sedyne
Jul 27, 2002, 05:19 PM
Mag Launcher your reply was good. I believe the exact same shit will happen....GC will def be more poluated since xbox is selling in jp about the same amount as to the amount of jews that escaped in germany from ww2. heh well anyway basically xbox is in the shitter in every other country. it's not a bad system but damn...we all know gamecube is selling better. xbox needs to get a few more good games tho here n there.

GaMMa
Jul 27, 2002, 05:59 PM
On 2002-07-27 15:19, X930 wrote:
Mag Launcher your reply was good. I believe the exact same shit will happen....GC will def be more poluated since xbox is selling in jp about the same amount as to the amount of jews that escaped in germany from ww2. heh well anyway basically xbox is in the shitter in every other country. it's not a bad system but damn...we all know gamecube is selling better. xbox needs to get a few more good games tho here n there.

Some people say the same things you said about Xbox for Gamecube... (runs back to playing Halo online).

Parn
Jul 27, 2002, 06:09 PM
If not for the fact that PSO E1/2 is on GameCube, I wouldn't own the purple lunchbox.

If not for Panzer Dragoon Orta, I wouldn't care too much about Microsoft's black oil tanker either.

Then again, that's just me I suppose. *shrug*

Malkavian
Jul 27, 2002, 06:51 PM
yeh that's you, lastly since i have my GC i visit some nintendo related forums and PSO isn't too famous... I feel like i'm the only guy with a gc that waits PSO, lol

Kalbelgarion
Jul 28, 2002, 09:19 PM
Mag, if I want more than four characters (which I probably will), I'd have to buy more than one memory card. With the XBOX version, I can have many, many characters without buying a single memory card. I'd say that, for me, is an advantage the XBOX version has over the GCN version.

With 56k, there is much lag. I use MSN to play PSO, and I get at least five minutes of frozen teamates every sesssion. With a larger pipe through which to play, that will be greatly reduced.

And it doesn't matter in the least that the GCN version *may* be more populated than the XBOX version. It doesn't matter to me if there's 100,000 people playing or just 1,000. As long as there are three other decent people to play with, I'm content.

Methinks that voice chat is better than communicating with text for this game. Voice chat is quicker, easier, and one does not have to release one's controller to speak. While players are in action, those using a keyboard cannot speak. Those using voice chat, however, can. To me, this is an advantage for the XBOX version.

And you have nothing to back up your statement that there shall be more "lamers" playing the XBOX version than the GCN version. Although that is your opinion, there is nothing to back that up.

And, Mag, if you don't care at all about the XBOX version, why did you enter a thread that was specifically labeled? Do you have nothing better to do than to come into a thread and trash a game that you care nothing about?

Defend, if you recall what I said about BB...

"Third, dial-up people will be around to slow down the gameplay of us people fortunate enough/with enough foresight to have BB."

...you'll see that you may fall in the catagory of those not fortunate to have BB. I'm very lucky, as I get my BB access for free. I would be very stupid to pay for a modem, THEN pay for dial-up access, when I prefer BB and it costs me nothing.

And it's not just a rep saying that it's Episode II. Microsoft's computers that those reps use says that the game will be Episode II, which is the same as Microsoft saying it. Since Microsoft supplies the server for the game to run on, I'll take their word on the matter.

ChokingVictim
Jul 28, 2002, 10:10 PM
i really wanted to like the Cube.
as soon as i picked up one of those goofy ass controllers in my hand, that died pretty quickly...
i think i'm one of the few who likes the giant xbox controller... coupled with the HD and the BBA built in for 50 bucks more and i was set in my decision.

Shinnosuke
Jul 29, 2002, 12:07 AM
The Gamecube controller...I have yet to try it. Waitaminute?! The X-Box has a built in BBA?! Holy S**T! I never knew that...that really DOES matter, considering that I use a cable modem...I wasn't planning on buying a BBA for the Gamecube anytime soon, either. *begins to reconsider his plans to buy a Gamecube for PSO*

saffaya
Jul 29, 2002, 03:03 AM
With 56k, there is much lag. I use MSN to play PSO, and I get at least five minutes of frozen teamates every sesssion. With a larger pipe through which to play, that will be greatly reduced.

Then you're a proof that MSN sucks in your area.
I have played 1000+ hours from a remote pacific island with a 33.6k modem, a so overstreched internet link that v2 doesn't run and never experienced that kind of regular problem.
100% of EU and 90% of JP use 33.6k modem.