PDA

View Full Version : New Pope

Nicktendonick
Apr 19, 2005, 11:38 AM
The white smoke has come from the Sistine Chapel which means the new pope has been chosen. The new pope is the Pope john paul 2's Understudy. He is now the new Pope. He is from Germandy, what do you think?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Nicktendonick on 2005-04-19 09:45 ]</font>

Neith
Apr 19, 2005, 11:44 AM
Meh, religion. I dont follow a religion, I believe they misguide people. I suppose this is an event that some people will look forward to, but I couldn't care less to be honest. I get sick of hearing about this kinda thing, ive just stopped bothering to listen.

Nicktendonick
Apr 19, 2005, 11:53 AM
On 2005-04-19 09:44, UrikoBB3 wrote:
Meh, religion. I dont follow a religion, I believe they misguide people. I suppose this is an event that some people will look forward to, but I couldn't care less to be honest. I get sick of hearing about this kinda thing, ive just stopped bothering to listen.

Alot of religions misguide people, but I think (for most) it is they misguide themselfs. This is one of the major problems with religions and beleifs, some people take it all out of porpotion and distort it, leading to Fanaticism.

For example...

Most muslims have been viewed as viloent. This is not true. In the religion it states that muslims are suppose to be peaceful, but a fanatic few take it completly out of hand and you get religious terrorists.

AYY-BEE-CEE
Apr 19, 2005, 11:56 AM
Apparently the guy is very conservative in his views - no surprises there then. Catholicism (and religion in general) can only go further into obscurity, and rightly so.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: AYY-BEE-CEE on 2005-04-19 09:57 ]</font>

Daikarin
Apr 19, 2005, 11:59 AM
It's good for any religion to find confort in a leader. I was born a catholic, but I'm really not into those things.

Therefore I only hope, that as a man, like any other, that Pope Joseph Razinger will do his best on Earth like Karol Woytila did, until mankind realises the true origins of religion and keep evolving.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Even_Jin on 2005-04-19 10:08 ]</font>

Neith
Apr 19, 2005, 11:59 AM
My next-door neighbour is Muslim, and he's told me that the Taliban pretty much re-wrote the Quran to suit their attitudes. One such example is that the Quran says women should be modest in how the dress, not to the extreme the Taliban took it. Imo, religion blinds people from seeing how they should run their lives.

Dhylec
Apr 19, 2005, 12:11 PM
hm.. that was quite some news for today
heh, this morning i still see the news saying black smoke appearing

Hrigg
Apr 19, 2005, 12:56 PM
Heh, I'm sick so I got to see it live. Pretty interesting, saying as my mom was young when JP 2 was elected.

Solstis
Apr 19, 2005, 01:06 PM
On 2005-04-19 09:56, AYY-BEE-CEE wrote:
Apparently the guy is very conservative in his views - no surprises there then. Catholicism (and religion in general) can only go further into obscurity, and rightly so.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: AYY-BEE-CEE on 2005-04-19 09:57 ]</font>

Well, it's been almost 200 years. Time for a new religion to take Christianity's place, at some point, I suppose.

Maybe we'll test out Buddhism for a few months.

AYY-BEE-CEE
Apr 19, 2005, 01:15 PM
Hmmm... as I said, religion will fall into obscurity (not just Catholicism) - the Western world is mostly secular (UK at least, anyway) and now we know what morals suit today's society we don't need any religion anymore, be it Catholicism or Buddhism.

BOC
Apr 19, 2005, 04:14 PM
apparently pope benedict 16th (as he will be known) is quite the conservative and a bit of a hard man.

some fun facts lifted right from the skynews website

Born in Bavaria on April 16, 1927, Ratzinger was a leading theology professor and then archbishop of Munich before taking over the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith in 1981.

In that office, Ratzinger disciplined Latin American "liberation theology" theologians, denounced homosexuality and gay marriage and pressured Asian priests who saw non-Christian religions as part of God's plan for humanity.

In a document in 2000 he branded other Christian churches as deficient - shocking Anglicans, Lutherans and other Protestants in ecumenical dialogue with Rome for years.

As dean of the College of Cardinals, he presided over John Paul's funeral Mass and the daily meetings of cardinals to discuss the next papacy.

gotta say, this isn't really the kinda guy i want in charge by the sounds of him. But ill try not to formulate any opinions just yet, and judge by his actions in the coming years. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

and even if he is a hard, i remember reading something that stuck with me. i think it was the ever wise navi that once said:

I believe god, i just don't like his fan-club

or something along those lines. or was it someone else who said it? http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_eek.gif

PEACE!!!

Kent
Apr 19, 2005, 04:55 PM
On 2005-04-19 11:06, Solstis wrote:

On 2005-04-19 09:56, AYY-BEE-CEE wrote:

Well, it's been almost 200 years. Time for a new religion to take Christianity's place, at some point, I suppose.

Maybe we'll test out Buddhism for a few months.

Last I heard, Islam was the world's fastest-growing religion, and would have more members than Catholicism "soon."

...I'm guessing a few dozen years.

On 2005-04-19 11:15, AYY-BEE-CEE wrote:
Hmmm... as I said, religion will fall into obscurity (not just Catholicism) - the Western world is mostly secular (UK at least, anyway) and now we know what morals suit today's society we don't need any religion anymore, be it Catholicism or Buddhism.

...I sure hope so. :/

Deathscythealpha
Apr 19, 2005, 05:03 PM
Doesnt Buddism have the biggest Relgeon in the world due to the simple fact that there are so many people in Asia?

The new Pope is...im not really sure. Havent heard much about the guy, except for what BOC posted, and if im reading right he's not the open minded sort. He's also 78 and the oldest man to be elected Pope. He looks healthy, but at that age im not sure if this Pope is going to pull that long a shift.

Im going with Terry Pratchetts yammerings in 'Small Gods':

"Believe in the God, not the religeon"

Daikarin
Apr 19, 2005, 05:21 PM
On 2005-04-19 15:03, Deathscythealpha wrote:

"Believe in the God, not the religeon"

How true.

And what's with the religion wars in this thread? I didn't knew there were catholic/buddhist/islamic fanboys shouting "My religion can kick your religion's ass" and "You can't stop us all".

Seriously. Religion's not supposed to be your favorite soccer team.

But let's try to stay on topic. Yes, he's the oldest pope to be elected. It wouldn't surprise me if in a few years he would become seriously ill and succumb. Then they would have to find another pope again.

Solstis
Apr 19, 2005, 06:33 PM
I was kidding, though statistics (that some historian made up) suggested that the *predominant* religion changes every 200 years.

Yes, Christianity may not be the largest religion, but it is the most influential at the moment.

Jehosaphaty
Apr 19, 2005, 06:34 PM
On 2005-04-19 15:21, Even_Jin wrote:
But let's try to stay on topic.

Ah, but it never does. It always turns into a why such and such is good and why that and that isn't. I'm sure I'm guilty of it. I'd say that and trying to keep a religion discussion civil are nearly impossible because unfortunately, many people jump in without thinking through their responses or own opinions. Here's to hoping this does stay civil...anywhoo...

It will be interesting to see what positions Benedict will take regarding many of the hott spot issues of today. Time will tell, but his biological clock is working against him. At 78, I can't seem to see him being pope for more than 10 years. It's beyond me why they wouldn't pick someone younger whose chance of making a lasting impression would be greater given more time to do so, albeit that person maybe being less qualified, but I suppose Benedict is the most "qualified" for the job. Time will tell.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Jehosaphaty on 2005-04-19 16:37 ]</font>

geewj
Apr 19, 2005, 07:08 PM
Let's try and keep to the topic.

New pope.

Someone can go make a religious theory topic if they want, so I can lock it three pages later.

Again, new pope.

Solstis
Apr 19, 2005, 09:43 PM
Now I remember why I rarely visit the Off Topic subforum.

There's no chance for discussion due to:

1. The Rules. Sorry, but a discussion on Halo 2 will eventually lead to XBOX Live, or somesuch. Technically, that is against the forum rules, and all topics that diverge should be locked.

2. The posters that undoubtedly want to talk about something else, and realize that creating a new topic would be a waste of time.

Yeah, I know that rules are rules, and so I suggest that anyone that wants a forum based discussion go elsewhere.

[/bitch]

Yeah, new Pope. I do not forsee any policies changing with his induction, though it makes you wonder (his age) who they'll replace him with when the time comes.

ABDUR101
Apr 19, 2005, 09:58 PM
Well, how much of an open mind do you expect when it comes to the basics of the religion? Expecially someone of that age. Not like he can just pop out and say "Oh yeah, homosexuality is ok, divorce is ok if done properly, blah blah blah"

It's like saying the President should have an open mind and start making all drugs legal. As the President, he has an obligation to fill a role to those who inducted him in, and even though he's "da man", he still has to bow to the masses that "follow" him.

Even an Emperor is subjugated to the needs and desires of his subjects.

Whooo new pope! Heh. His views are his views anyway, to those who will look to him for guidance, I hope he offers correctly.

Luis
Apr 19, 2005, 10:38 PM
Doesnt Buddism have the biggest Relgeon in the world due to the simple fact that there are so many people in Asia?

ill anwser that with this question...

if a buddism leader die tomorrow, would have the same coverage over the world like john paul II had?

derBauer
Apr 19, 2005, 11:01 PM
I expected the new Pope to be younger too.

I think this man was chosen because he is not going to change the official Catholic position on any hot issues.

navci
Apr 19, 2005, 11:18 PM
On 2005-04-19 21:01, derBauer wrote:
I expected the new Pope to be younger too.

I had a discussion earlier this morning about this. Not to take it off topic. But I was wondering if there is an age limit before you can be pope? It does seem like all Popes are old. Hm. Just seem... odd.

Solstis
Apr 20, 2005, 12:55 AM
On 2005-04-19 20:38, Luis wrote:

ill anwser that with this question...

if a buddism leader die tomorrow, would have the same coverage over the world like john paul II had?

Wouldn't having a leader defy the point? I doubt that there's a globally recognized head.

Neith
Apr 20, 2005, 02:43 AM
This 'Benedict XVI' is already 78 years old, just seems strange they haven't replaced the previous pope with someone a little younger. Anyway, back on topic, I think his views are a little controversial, but someone of his age is bound to have these kinds of views. A lot of older people are afraid of change I guess. Anyway, power to the guy, let's hope he does a good job.

Aredhel
Apr 20, 2005, 03:07 AM

Tenzin Gyatso, the current manifestation of the Dalai Lama? You betcha.

But I see your point.

space_butler
Apr 20, 2005, 03:23 AM
this guy wont last long, so they'll have to do this all over again sometime in the next 10-15 years. maybe they wont get a guy who was in the hitler youth next time.

BrokenHope
Apr 20, 2005, 03:45 AM
Maybe they don't want a pope that lasted as long as the last, wasn't John Paul around over 30 years?

Deathscythealpha
Apr 20, 2005, 06:06 AM
On 2005-04-20 01:07, Aredhel wrote:

if a buddism leader die[d] tomorrow, would [it] have the same coverage over the world like john paul II had?

But I see your point.

Aredhel has answered it already, but yeah, there would be a lot of media coverage for his death. Not many people know his name, but everyone knows about the Dalai Lama (dont know if people know how to spell it, I dont) and there will most likly be the same amount of response over the world as the Popes.

Only thing with the Dalai Lama is its more interesting when theyre trying to find the new one (is it the current Lama who was inducted as he knew where the last one hid his false teeth?).

So, two day's into a world with a new Pope. Its interesting to see that a lot of the posters have noted his age.

Nicktendonick
Apr 20, 2005, 07:00 AM
On 2005-04-20 04:06, Deathscythealpha wrote:

On 2005-04-20 01:07, Aredhel wrote:

if a buddism leader die[d] tomorrow, would [it] have the same coverage over the world like john paul II had?

But I see your point.

Aredhel has answered it already, but yeah, there would be a lot of media coverage for his death. Not many people know his name, but everyone knows about the Dalai Lama (dont know if people know how to spell it, I dont) and there will most likly be the same amount of response over the world as the Popes.

Only thing with the Dalai Lama is its more interesting when theyre trying to find the new one (is it the current Lama who was inducted as he knew where the last one hid his false teeth?).

So, two day's into a world with a new Pope. Its interesting to see that a lot of the posters have noted his age.

That's just the Media, they find a story people will like then latch onto it then suck all the life out of it. At one point they actually reported major news in the Pope issue that his room's light was on, then off, then on again (or something like that). Makes me sick how do that.

Daikarin
Apr 20, 2005, 08:11 AM
On 2005-04-19 16:34, Jehosaphaty wrote:
Time will tell, but his biological clock is working against him. At 78, I can't seem to see him being pope for more than 10 years. It's beyond me why they wouldn't pick someone younger whose chance of making a lasting impression would be greater given more time to do so, albeit that person maybe being less qualified, but I suppose Benedict is the most "qualified" for the job. Time will tell.

It seems to me that new Pope was a follower and close friend of Pope John Paul II, and they elected him so that there is continuity on some morals and beliefs.

I think that man was the last Pope's "favorite pupil", so to speak.

AYY-BEE-CEE
Apr 20, 2005, 10:50 AM
On 2005-04-20 01:45, BrokenHope wrote:
Maybe they don't want a pope that lasted as long as the last, wasn't John Paul around over 30 years?

This was indeed the reason for electin him, they wanted someone who wouldn't last long and obviously someone who would retain Catholic values - I believe all the candidates were at least 65, most being over 70.

It's amusing yet sad that a religion with 1 billion followers abides by the words of some random bloke writing in the name of the Lord around 2000 years ago. If I were to say that God thinks people who were born with fewer or more than 10 toes are destined to go to hell you'd tell me I'm talking crap, and rightly so. But people were gullible in those days and it seems some people today still are, yet not gullible enough to believe a statement like that when it comes from the man on the street in 2005.

Daikarin
Apr 20, 2005, 10:59 AM
On 2005-04-20 08:50, AYY-BEE-CEE wrote:

This was indeed the reason for electin him, they wanted someone who wouldn't last long and obviously someone who would retain Catholic values - I believe all the candidates were at least 65, most being over 70.

"Obviously"? Yeah, it's all part of an evil and fiendish plan to get really old men in the pulpit.

It's amusing yet sad that a religion with 1 billion followers abides by the words of some random bloke writing in the name of the Lord around 2000 years ago. If I were to say that God thinks people who were born with fewer or more than 10 toes are destined to go to hell you'd tell me I'm talking crap, and rightly so. But people were gullible in those days and it seems some people today still are, yet not gullible enough to believe a statement like that when it comes from the man on the street in 2005.

What's amusing is your view of catholicism. Nobody looks to that guy and obeys him like a sheep would do to the shepard. Catholicists look up to him as a figure of the church, as a leader, that's all.

And you don't know about what religion was 2000 years ago, so put a sock in it.

As for the rest of your post, I partially agree.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Even_Jin on 2005-04-20 09:01 ]</font>

JudasPriest
Apr 20, 2005, 07:37 PM
On 2005-04-19 21:18, navinator wrote:

I had a discussion earlier this morning about this. Not to take it off topic. But I was wondering if there is an age limit before you can be pope? It does seem like all Popes are old. Hm. Just seem... odd.

Actually there is an age requirement. You must be between 65 and 80. This pope barely made the cut by being 78.

Weird thing to cause I was reading Angels & Demons and just recently finished it. Well if you haven't read it, it just has to do something with the pope dying and the whole conclave(election) thing.

Jehosaphaty
Apr 20, 2005, 09:44 PM
On 2005-04-20 06:11, Even_Jin wrote:
It seems to me that new Pope was a follower and close friend of Pope John Paul II, and they elected him so that there is continuity on some morals and beliefs.

I think that man was the last Pope's "favorite pupil", so to speak.

Regarding him being the "fav pupil" I heard that too. After talking with a few catholic friends, they seemed to think that this pope would be a bridge between ancient John Paul and some of the younger, well like 60ish, contemporaries. A few I talked to seemed put off by the fact that he is so conservative, but I would attribute that to him being the chief theologian or interpretur of theology or whatever the heck you call what he did before being appointed pope. (Dean of Cardinals wasn't it?)

AYY-BEE-CEE
Apr 21, 2005, 12:34 PM
On 2005-04-20 08:59, Even_Jin wrote:

On 2005-04-20 08:50, AYY-BEE-CEE wrote:

"Obviously"? Yeah, it's all part of an evil and fiendish plan to get really old men in the pulpit.

Eh? I'm only saying they want old because they don't want each pope to spend too long on the thrown, preferably around 10 years each - 25 years I would guess they considered a bit too long.

What's amusing is your view of catholicism. Nobody looks to that guy and obeys him like a sheep would do to the shepard. Catholicists look up to him as a figure of the church, as a leader, that's all.

I'm not sure you understand who I'm referring to there. I'm talking about all those people who wrote in the bible, whose word is to be taken as the moral authority, yet might have put their own personal agendas in it which would not have been shared by the big creator (if he does indeed exist).

And you don't know about what religion was 2000 years ago, so put a sock in it.

Granted, I don't have any qualifications in Religious Studies, but I don't think that this means I'm not entitled to make a comment on people today who believe the word of some average person born nearly 2000 years ago (that being whoever wrote their bullshit in the bible).

Sorry in advance if I upset anyone by going slightly off-topic.

Daikarin
Apr 21, 2005, 02:05 PM
On 2005-04-21 10:34, AYY-BEE-CEE wrote:
Eh? I'm only saying they want old because they don't want each pope to spend too long on the thrown, preferably around 10 years each - 25 years I would guess they considered a bit too long.

I don't know if that's what they're thinking. Would you prefer a good president to stay on charge for more years than a useless one? Same with the Popes, I guess.

I'm not sure you understand who I'm referring to there. I'm talking about all those people who wrote in the bible, whose word is to be taken as the moral authority, yet might have put their own personal agendas in it which would not have been shared by the big creator (if he does indeed exist).

I don't think the writers in the bible made publicity of writing it and warned "EVERYONE TO FOLLOW MY RULES, OR ELSE."

Does the Dalai Lama force anyone to become Buddhist? Of course not. All they can do is let the world know of their way of life, and use their knowledge to help people.

As for God sharing his words with those men, we never saw it happen, therefore we can't be sure. Just investigate, and believe or not.

I don't think that this means I'm not entitled to make a comment on people today who believe the word of some average person born nearly 2000 years ago (that being whoever wrote their bullshit in the bible).

All right, I went overboard here. You do have a right to say your comments, I just considered it to be illogical, and for that I am sorry.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Even_Jin on 2005-04-22 04:05 ]</font>

Jehosaphaty
Apr 21, 2005, 06:53 PM
On 2005-04-21 12:05, Even_Jin wrote:
I don't know if that's what they're thinking. Would you prefer a good president to stay on charge for more years than a useless one? Same with the Popes, I guess.

Franklin D. Roosevelt comes to mind. As far as the time spent as pope, it has ranged from 13 days to 37 years. If the pope is picked as the best man for the job, I would think that they would hope he would stay alive as long as possible seeing as he's their best candidate.

I think it's a bit interesting that Benedict is one of only a few German popes, and even more so is the fact that he switched from the progressive side to seemingly very conservative early in his priesthood.