PDA

View Full Version : PSO Xbox & GC Sales

Agent_Reav
Jul 27, 2002, 07:54 PM
PARN: "Apparently your precious Microsoft doesn't agree about your feelings regarding RPGs, because guess what they're bundling with Xbox Live in the US? Revolt. Go figure. "

PSO can actually be sold separately whereas Revolt (an ancient DC game) wouldn't move an inch off the shelves if it had a price tag...

But I do agree with you on how PSO won't be a big blockbuster on either XBOX or GC. I do have one question though... SoA hasn't CONFIRMED that the Xbox version will be a no frills DC port... Where is everyone getting this information? Microsoft has been know to keeps it's partners hush hush about future projects, why would they spill all the details early? Anyways, if the Xbox version is a direct port I don't expect many people to buy it. With so many other AAA Xbox Live titles to choose from who would by a DC port? :/ As for the GC... You have to realize that the majority of individuals that own a Gamecube range between the ages of 4 and 14. They have to ask their folks for money and frankly not most parents are going to want to pay $100 for their child to get set up for one game (PSO EP1&2, Keyboard, 56k or BB Adapter). I know there are alot of older people like you and me that own a GC but the majority of GC owners are children.

Mag_Launcher
Jul 27, 2002, 08:10 PM
'Scuse me? Was that a dis towards Gamecube?

Davion
Jul 27, 2002, 08:18 PM
Yeah hey now! I own a GC and I'm 17. Just because Nintendo is kid friendly doesn't mean that they don't have any real cool games out there. So what if Mario is well... Mario. His games rock. Games don't need to be gory and violent to be a blast. I hate this mask of "kiddie games" Sony and Microsoft keeps shoving on Nintendo's face! The only company that could ever rival Nintendo as a publisher is Sega. So I resent that remark that the average owner of a GC is between the ages of 4 and 14.

Parn
Jul 27, 2002, 08:33 PM
On 2002-07-27 17:54, Agent_Reav wrote:
PSO can actually be sold separately whereas Revolt (an ancient DC game) wouldn't move an inch off the shelves if it had a price tag...

PSO is technically an "ancient DC game" as well. Hence why it's "old news" and why it doesn't garner the spotlight at most major online gaming websites like Gamespot.

But I do agree with you on how PSO won't be a big blockbuster on either XBOX or GC. I do have one question though... SoA hasn't CONFIRMED that the Xbox version will be a no frills DC port... Where is everyone getting this information? Microsoft has been know to keeps it's partners hush hush about future projects, why would they spill all the details early?

Why not spill the details? You DO happen to notice that everyone is pretty much talking about PSO GameCube, and NOT PSO Xbox? The reason is because everyone knows exactly what we're getting on the GameCube, and we can only speculate what's happening with PSO Xbox. Not hyping up your games is stupid. Silence doesn't generate sales.

The people that care about PSO either own a GameCube, or planned on getting a GameCube sometime soon... some even buying a GameCube JUST for this game alone (such as myself). The only people that care about PSO Xbox are Xbox owners, and I can't picture anyone purchasing an Xbox solely in anticipation of PSO. Silence has only resulted in people moving toward the competition. Way to go Microsoft!

Anyways, if the Xbox version is a direct port I don't expect many people to buy it. With so many other AAA Xbox Live titles to choose from who would by a DC port? :/

Funny thing is, Xbox Live offers nothing that interests me one bit.

As for the GC... You have to realize that the majority of individuals that own a Gamecube range between the ages of 4 and 14. They have to ask their folks for money and frankly not most parents are going to want to pay $100 for their child to get set up for one game (PSO EP1&2, Keyboard, 56k or BB Adapter). I know there are alot of older people like you and me that own a GC but the majority of GC owners are children.

That's a really stupid misconception made by people who will say anything to bash the opposing system that they don't own. I hardly think Resident Evil, Eternal Darkness, and WWE Smackdown appeals to 4-14 year old kids. I really doubt any of those titles would have been developed if only a handful of "mature" gamers owned the system.

Mag_Launcher
Jul 27, 2002, 08:44 PM
Yeah! you tell they asses, Parn!
(One thing tho, It's WWE Wrestlemania, Smackdown is the Playstation series.)

RavenTW
Jul 27, 2002, 08:58 PM
I also resent that remark. So what if I'm 14? I'll be 15 before PSO comes out, and I bought the GC 'cause I was looking for sweet or addictive games, and PSO definately applies. Besides, waddya call Crash Bandicoot being on Xbox, huh?

When Nintendo started, gore and violence were practically non-existent in games. And so many of their games became hits, they've kept 'em comin (though why we haven't had a Metroid game in 8 years is anyone's guess) because everyone liked 'em.

I must agree, I couldn't come up with $100 on my own, and I'm surprised at how effective my begging for v2 was. But you have to plan those things out. Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm gonna go think about what I want for my birthday in 8 days http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Sedyne
Jul 27, 2002, 11:42 PM
PARN: "Apparently your precious Microsoft doesn't agree about your feelings regarding RPGs, because guess what they're bundling with Xbox Live in the US? Revolt. Go figure. "

But I do agree with you on how PSO won't be a big blockbuster on either XBOX or GC. I do have one question though... SoA hasn't CONFIRMED that the Xbox version will be a no frills DC port... Where is everyone getting this information? Microsoft has been know to keeps it's partners hush hush about future projects, why would they spill all the details early? Anyways, if the Xbox version is a direct port I don't expect many people to buy it. With so many other AAA Xbox Live titles to choose from who would by a DC port? :/ As for the GC... You have to realize that the majority of individuals that own a Gamecube range between the ages of 4 and 14. They have to ask their folks for money and frankly not most parents are going to want to pay $100 for their child to get set up for one game (PSO EP1&2, Keyboard, 56k or BB Adapter). I know there are alot of older people like you and me that own a GC but the majority of GC owners are children.

Even though i purchased my own GameCube system i still refer to it as a kiddy system. So does electronics boutique...i've heard parents come into their stores and crap asking which system to get all of them say if your children aren't teens yet get them a gamecube. now im not downing the system. i love it. still it's a kiddy system in my eyes. however nintendo seems to be pulling away from it's skitty kidish themes and actually vamping up on it's more violently bloody games =) which is making me happy. I can't wait for perfect dark 2. but your statement (whoever made the post) your a moron because i know quite alot of adults who own the gamecube for their selfs because they lknow xbox is a piece of shit and knew the new gc was going to be a hit.

Agent_Reav
Jul 28, 2002, 12:58 AM
PARN: "That's a really stupid misconception made by people who will say anything to bash the opposing system that they don't own."

Actually I do own a Gamecube as well as every other next gen console (PS2, XBOX, and DC). I'm not trying to bash the GC but it upsets me when people bash another console (Xbox) based on speculation. PSO Xbox will be probably come out awhile after PSO GC but I am confident it will be a superior product. Xbox Live will have TONS of fantastic games (Including PSO) that cater to everyone's needs so its your loss if you don't want to give it a chance. But no I don't plan on waiting for the Xbox version... I will get PSO Ep1&2 for GC. Only because I don't feel like waiting a few months more just to play PSO Ep1&2 with voice comm ^_^;

Davion
Jul 28, 2002, 08:34 AM
On 2002-07-27 21:42, X930 wrote:

Even though i purchased my own GameCube system i still refer to it as a kiddy system. So does electronics boutique...i've heard parents come into their stores and crap asking which system to get all of them say if your children aren't teens yet get them a gamecube. now im not downing the system. i love it. still it's a kiddy system in my eyes. however nintendo seems to be pulling away from it's skitty kidish themes and actually vamping up on it's more violently bloody games =) which is making me happy. I can't wait for perfect dark 2. but your statement (whoever made the post) your a moron because i know quite alot of adults who own the gamecube for their selfs because they lknow xbox is a piece of shit and knew the new gc was going to be a hit.

Just because the GC is a good system for kids doesn't make it a kiddie system. Think about it this way... There are alot of kids out there who can't buy or play the more violent games we enjoy. So Nintendo makes games that all ages can play, and still love. Xbox is targeted more to older teens and adults. It's less so with PS2. I would agree that the GC is the better system for kids. Only because It has games on it that they can play, and we can for that matter. The GC doesn't really have a target group. Nintendo makes alot of great games that everyone can enjoy. Xbox and PS2 do have more voilent, mature games, but I think it's their owners loss. Who needs to blow of something's head of to have fun? I don't! I loved (and still do) Mario 64. Not because he's safe for kids, but because it has addictive gamplay, and amazing level design. When Sony and Microsoft's developers tried to make games like Mario, they fail. Crash and company never scored as high as Mario in EGM.
And anoher thing. What were the best games at E3? According to EGM Nintendo's Mario Sunshine, Zelda (In all its cel-shaded glory), Metroid Prime, and the GBA Metroid ranked top four.
What does it say to you when a plumber and a cartoony elf-dude beat all the other more voilent games? PS2 and Xbox need their sometimes mindless violent games. Nintendo has proven that only one thing really matters in a game. Gameplay, Gameplay Gameplay. That's the name of the game.

M_BlackHawk
Jul 28, 2002, 09:09 AM
I happen to own all 3 next gen systems (PS2, Xbox, Gamecube). I got the gamecube primarily for PSO, however, I'm finding myself very much addicted to Smash Bros. Melee and WWE Wrestlemania X8. I also own Resident Evil and Eternal Darkness, both great games that I don't want to play in a dark room. ^_^

However, the misconception that the Gamecube is a kiddy system is about as asinine as the misconception that almost all games on Xbox and PS2 are mindless violence. I beg to differ. On PS2, there are some games with one hell of a story to them. If I may, I'll point out the plot in games such as Metal Gear Solid 2. It kept me thinking while I was playing, especially in the later parts of the game.

While Xbox doesn't have very many (if any) RPG's on the system, not everything on the system is a "Gorefest". The only real "Gore" game I can think of on Xbox right now is Max Payne, which is also on PS2 and PC. Yes, Halo is your standard First Person Shoot-em-up, but it's also got a good story behind it, and is one very addictive game because of it's level of gameplay. I still pick up Halo to this day and play for hours on end.

I was disappointed to find out that Zelda would be cel-shaded. I was hoping for something a little better on the visual side for a game like Zelda. Howver, I am looking forward to Metroid Prime on Gamecube. However, I could care less about Zelda now, and Mario Sunshine, at that. I may just get those for my nephew.

Great gameplay isn't just exclusive to Nintendo, folks. I've seen games on PS2 and Xbox with great gameplay too. Just so you know which ones I rate as the best games on each system, I'll list them here.

Xbox
Dead or Alive 3
Halo
NFL Fever 2002
Hunter: The Reckoning

Gamecube
Super Smash Bros. Melee
WWE Wrestlemania X8
Eternal Darkness
Resident Evil
Star Wars Rogue Leader

Playstation 2
Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
Gran Turismo 3 A-Spec
SNK vs. Capcom 2
Devil May Cry
WWE Smackdown Just Bring It.
---------------------------------------------
basically, what I'm trying to say is, don't stereotype any one console. All 3 have some great games, and some that absolutely suck. I wretched after playing through WWE Raw on Xbox, and through Pirates: Legend of Black Kat on PS2. However, I also did the same thing after playing Lost Kingdom on Gamecube.

Great gameplay isn't exclusive to Gamecube. Look into Halo or DOA3 on Xbox. Don't look at Xbox and just think of gore games, because you'll be drawing that conclusion from maybe 1 or 2 games..those being Max Payne and Hunter: The Reckoning.

I'm going to be buying PSO on both systems, as well as maybe Everquest or FFXI on PS2, and am looking forward to a good online RPing experience in these games...well, maybe not in Xbox PSO because I can't get broadband in my area. However, my point is..Don't be so quick to judge anything. There is a good and a bad in all 3 consoles.

later

M_BlackHawk

Sedyne
Jul 28, 2002, 10:23 AM
On 2002-07-28 06:34, Davion wrote:

On 2002-07-27 21:42, X930 wrote:

Just because the GC is a good system for kids doesn't make it a kiddie system. Think about it this way... There are alot of kids out there who can't buy or play the more violent games we enjoy. So Nintendo makes games that all ages can play, and still love. Xbox is targeted more to older teens and adults. It's less so with PS2. I would agree that the GC is the better system for kids. Only because It has games on it that they can play, and we can for that matter. The GC doesn't really have a target group. Nintendo makes alot of great games that everyone can enjoy. Xbox and PS2 do have more voilent, mature games, but I think it's their owners loss. Who needs to blow of something's head of to have fun? I don't! I loved (and still do) Mario 64. Not because he's safe for kids, but because it has addictive gamplay, and amazing level design. When Sony and Microsoft's developers tried to make games like Mario, they fail. Crash and company never scored as high as Mario in EGM.
And anoher thing. What were the best games at E3? According to EGM Nintendo's Mario Sunshine, Zelda (In all its cel-shaded glory), Metroid Prime, and the GBA Metroid ranked top four.
What does it say to you when a plumber and a cartoony elf-dude beat all the other more voilent games? PS2 and Xbox need their sometimes mindless violent games. Nintendo has proven that only one thing really matters in a game. Gameplay, Gameplay Gameplay. That's the name of the game.

I Understand your point, however i still call it "the kiddie system" only because it's more so the one which little kids have. However i LOVE mario and crap on it. I love mario kart games to. PLaying with a couple friends and racing is fun. Especially the ladies =P they love thoese games. It's just what i refer to it as.

PSOjedi
Jul 28, 2002, 11:01 AM
These games are not even released and you begin talking about sales !!!
pfff !!!! you really like to waste your time.

Mag_Launcher
Jul 28, 2002, 11:11 AM
It could be worse, Jedi. People on certain GTA3 boards were already talking about crap ideas for GTA4 before 3 even came out.

Malkavian
Jul 28, 2002, 12:28 PM
hey gamecube users have a quite old age average.
Most of them already had a nes, snes or n64, so they can't be very young if they are in videogames for many years.

here in Europe the average age of gamecube registered users was 23 years when the first 400.000 units were sold

sonicblue
Jul 28, 2002, 12:53 PM
SoA hasn't CONFIRMED that the Xbox version will be a no frills DC port... Where is everyone getting this information?

You have to realize that the majority of individuals that own a Gamecube range between the ages of 4 and 14.

It seems that you only utilize the truth when it's convenient for you. Show me where Nintendo "CONFIRMED" that the majority of GameCube owners are between the ages of 4 and 14. For the record I know just as many kids that own an Xbox and/or a PS2 as kids that own a GC.

Agent_Reav
Jul 28, 2002, 01:21 PM
Let's be honest... You know the majority of owners of Gamecube are kids. It's not a bad thing at all and frankly I think Nintendo has the best first party games of any console. I'm just pointing out that for a child to spend $100 to get online with PSO GC (Game, Keyboard, 56k or BB Adapter, Online Fee) is absurd and so we won't see as many users on PSO GC as alot of people are hyping it up to be. This is a PSO message board so obviously no one wants to admit this but whatever... I'm just pointing out a valid point.

"For the record I know just as many kids that own an Xbox and/or a PS2 as kids that own a GC."

What you or any INDIVIDUAL experiences in their community doesn't affect the whole country. THE MAJORITY OF GAMECUBE OWNERS ARE YOUNG ADULTS. Thank you... good night... and drive safely.

Agent_Reav
Jul 28, 2002, 01:22 PM
Oh and guys... take it easy on the quotes... This thread is becoming very very confusing.

sonicblue
Jul 28, 2002, 01:28 PM
You still offer no proof that most GameCube owners are kids. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif There's no point in me arguing over this anymore though becuase I know I can't change you're opinion. You obviously "know" you're right.

Agent_Reav
Jul 28, 2002, 01:38 PM
Well seeing as how I don't have access to any kind of client information from Nintendo I can't give you anything in writing. But to say that Nintendo's target audience is not children is just moronic... Mario, Celda, Luigi's Mansion, etc. GCN does have some games for older users also but they are not as numerous as titles aimed at children. You're turning this topic into something completely different than what it was meant to be... I'm not saying anything negative or positive about the GC! All I'm saying is that it's userbase will not embrace PSO GC as much as many on this board are saying.

ChokingVictim
Jul 28, 2002, 10:43 PM
honestly i think giving systems particular yet arbitrary target age range is pointless...
all 3 would like to to appeal to as broad a range as possible... PS2 has it's kid friendly fare as well as the Xbox. I think quite a few older, nostalgia gamers would purchase a GC for the sheer possibilty of next-gen Metroid. Hell, reading about Zelda OOT on the horizon was a huge factor in my choice to buy an N64 way back when. Nintendo's exclusive deal with Capcom for RE games shows they want to appease teen and up gamers. Making general assumptions only shows ignorance.

Sedyne
Jul 28, 2002, 11:14 PM
On 2002-07-28 11:21, Agent_Reav wrote:
Let's be honest... You know the majority of owners of Gamecube are kids. It's not a bad thing at all and frankly I think Nintendo has the best first party games of any console. I'm just pointing out that for a child to spend $100 to get online with PSO GC (Game, Keyboard, 56k or BB Adapter, Online Fee) is absurd and so we won't see as many users on PSO GC as alot of people are hyping it up to be. This is a PSO message board so obviously no one wants to admit this but whatever... I'm just pointing out a valid point.

"For the record I know just as many kids that own an Xbox and/or a PS2 as kids that own a GC."

What you or any INDIVIDUAL experiences in their community doesn't affect the whole country. THE MAJORITY OF GAMECUBE OWNERS ARE YOUNG ADULTS. Thank you... good night... and drive safely.

MAJORITY OF PEOPLE THAT OWN XBOX ARE LATE LATE 30's. Thank you very much =) Go into an eb store or bestbuy, yhou won't see most kids our age (13-19) searching through xbox games because we know it has bairly any addictive games.! I was at bestbuy the other day....there were 6 men late 30's earler 40's searching through Xbox crap. while all the rest of the 15 kdis there were looking at gamecube and ps2. =)

Shinnosuke
Jul 28, 2002, 11:53 PM
*After reading everyone's posts* ...Whateverthef***ever, man. Maybe the $100 PSO package price tag is a good thing. It means that only the more serious gamers out there will shell out the dough. That, my friends, will make OUR experience with PSO much, much, more enjoyable. A pk in something so expensive just wouldn't make sense to me. If it costs too much for children to handle then we won't have to deal with those too young to really handle PSO. Ah...what am I saying....there'll be idiots everywhere. It really just depends on how well we can avoid them.

PS...On a side note...I'm buying the Gamecube because PSO tricked me into it. That extra info actually did help me determine which console I was going to buy.

ChokingVictim
Jul 29, 2002, 01:14 PM
from a purely statistical point of view... you can't judge ownership by what kids and adults are looking through at a best buy or EB. association does not necessarily mean causation. it's hearsay and rumor.

and to say xbox doesn't have addictive titles is nonsense...
DOA3
Halo
JSRF
now the roster has a few holes in it for now, but games in development do show promise....
a new Ninja Gaiden and Panzer Dragoon Orta.....i mean hell...i'm creaming my pants already

Malkavian
Jul 29, 2002, 01:50 PM
is stupid say that most gamecube users are kids... zelda, mario, metroid, f-zero, starfox aren't aimed to kids, this games are more wanted ny the peope that know this games for many years.
Is absurd think that people that had nes, snes, n64 are kids.!! kids with 20 years???
people do grow up, most nintendo users grew up with nintendo. And the newcomers target for playstation machines more than nintendo.

ERaZer
Jul 29, 2002, 02:05 PM
I know 4 friends who has a PS2(not togheter, they have one each!) and 1 friend who has a Xbox... They are
and the Xbox user is also 15.
And I know 4 friends who has a Cube each, and they are

But then again, I live in Europe and here in europe it really seems like the 'cube is more of a console for everyone.
Oh, and here when moms asks for a console for their kid/kids they usually get the answer to get a PS2, but pretty often they show her whats good on each console.

BTW, Halo is a great game with great gameplay. But why the h*ll did you pick DOA3, its worhless with the Xbox controller... and it sells very much becouse of the girls.

ChokingVictim
Jul 29, 2002, 02:41 PM
i like that behemoth controller. i bought a controller S so my gf could have the opportunity to play if she wanted, and those things are getting great critical reviews, personally i like bulky though. and yes DOA3 does have nice T&A, not as obscene as the DOAXBV game coming out with its sapphic shopping trips, hah... It's going to be hell in a hand-basket soon though, look at the supposed XXX BMX game on the horizon where you can change actual tit size on the female bikers. Given how violent many games are which have M ratings, super-rarely use any foul language, i welcome this influx of Sodom and Gammoran values.
how many people played with the hidden "jiggle factor" setting in DOA2...come on...admit it!

Alielle
Jul 29, 2002, 03:24 PM
The GameCube HAS to be a "kiddy system" in order to differentiate itself from the PS2. In other words, it won't sell if it isn't marketed otherwise, because a majority of gamers have a PS2 already, and don't want a GC. The only reason said PS2 owners would buy a GC (besides being super-rich) would be to play a really stellar game on it.

So, in order to sell the GC to those who don't already have a "next-gen" system, Nintendo has to market it as a kid-friendly console, and develop wholesome "kiddy" games for it. I'm not saying this is bad at all. I'm looking forward to these games, because they stress gameplay and fun over everything else that many PS2 owners would typically want in a game. Little gems like Resident Evil and Eternal Darkness here and there just sweeten my purchase.

I'm getting really concerned about the GC's future, because it is selling dismally and there aren't very many games for it coming out until Autumn. The same thing happened to the DC, too, and the DC actually sold better at launch than the GC did. Let's just hope that Nintendo gets more second- and third-party support so their game library will start to appeal to more people; otherwise, we might be saying another premature goodbye to a wonderful system. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

rbf2000
Jul 29, 2002, 04:10 PM
On 2002-07-29 13:24, Alielle wrote:
The same thing happened to the DC, too, and the DC actually sold better at launch than the GC did.

But then again, the dreamcast wasn't going against the ps2 and the xbox...

Alielle
Jul 29, 2002, 05:36 PM
On 2002-07-29 14:10, rbf2000 wrote:

But then again, the dreamcast wasn't going against the ps2 and the xbox...

All the more reason why I think the GC will have it rough...

Agent_Reav
Jul 29, 2002, 06:30 PM
I'm really glad there's so much competition nowadays... Means game companies have to try harder to get our money *looks at Britney's Dance Beat* Some people will never learn though :/

Malkavian
Jul 30, 2002, 08:54 AM
Er... gamecube is selling more than what nintendo expected, the one that isn't doing good is the xbox... bu microsoft has more than enough money to keep the xbox alive even if they only lose money with it