PDA

View Full Version : Converting .midi to .mp3?

TheOneHero
Apr 27, 2005, 12:34 PM
I tried to find the Golden Sun OST via Google, but only came up with getting it in .midi (I couldn't find the .mp3s) I desperately want to burn the OST to a CD, but none of the programs I use to burn CDs support .midi.

So, my questions are:

Can you convert .midi to mp3?
Is there a program that allows me? Where can I get it?
Would the quality be; better? worse? same?

OR, just give me the name of a program that supports .midi files so I can burn them to a CD. Any and all help would be appreciated.

Mods, if this is breaking forum rules (I don't think it is, since I'm not asking fot the mp3s.) then feel free to: delete/lock/whatever this topic. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Thanks again.

KodiaX987
Apr 27, 2005, 12:38 PM
Technically, you could.

First, you need to convert the MIDI to a WAV file. If what you've got doesn't do it, download WinGroove, this will transform the stuff to WAV.

Afterwards you can burn to CD right away. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif Or use some other proggy to go ahead and convert your WAV to MP3. Goldwave is free and can do that job.

TheOneHero
Apr 27, 2005, 12:45 PM
Great, thanks KodiaX. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

This was easier than I thought it would be. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif

Daikarin
Apr 27, 2005, 01:29 PM
Do we lose any quality in regards to sound when converting it to wav? I've tried this before, but the WAV's sucked.

TheOneHero
Apr 27, 2005, 01:52 PM
On 2005-04-27 11:29, Even_Jin wrote:
Do we lose any quality in regards to sound when converting it to wav? I've tried this before, but the WAV's sucked.

I lost a little bit of quality when I did it. Though I could only convert fucking 30 seconds of the song. T_T Unless I buy the program, which is something I don't want to do.

Sayara
Apr 27, 2005, 02:10 PM
Dudeman, Shuri told you about Goldwave right? That can record songs at any length also (trust me, i know that for a fact; i use Goldwave), then just record it, then save it as mp3.

And about Goldwave you can use the program as freeware for 300 actions a session and some amount in grand total before having to purchase,

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Tingle on 2005-04-27 12:12 ]</font>

digigram
Apr 27, 2005, 02:35 PM
Sent PM toH .. check your mail, I want to help

Blitzkommando
Apr 27, 2005, 09:55 PM
WAV quality determines the resultant quality. WAV is an uncompressed format. MP3 because it is compressed (even at the highest quality) loses quality (mathematically, not necessarily audibly). The same happens to WAV. To create the highest quality WAV, use 48000Hz. Most programs default to 41000Hz. Also make sure it is set to stereo, even if the source isn't stereo, as this will cause it to sound strange if coming out of a stereo device (versus monoural). For myself, when I do convert my CDs to MP3, I use 320kbps, 48000Hz, stereo. This is almost mathematically lossless yet keeps the size well under that of WAV. OGG Vorbis is another choice for many devices and audio players as it has better compression so there is less data loss. Basically, there are hundreds of audio formats, everything from CDA (audio cds), to WAV, to MP2, MP3, MP4, OGG, FLAC... Do some research into which one fits best for what you want.

digigram
Apr 27, 2005, 10:29 PM
Ok toh. i don't think you have checked your mail, but I went ahead and messed around with the midi files in my sequencing app, used the existing sequences and now theyare controlling my synths instead of the generic ass GM sound set. GM stands for General midi, some sound cards have yamaha umm... XG is it.I forget, I don't care either way because both XG and GM sound like shit.

I have a $3000 orchestral wavetable dvd set. All set up through native instruments Kontakt as a VSTi (virtual studio technology instrument),it's just a plugin, but now that 3000 dollar sound set is being controlled by the midi files i looked for.

Sounds like the real thing. let me know if you want me to mess with a bunch of them, becuase i can record 24bit 96khz, which doesn't honestly matter.. 44.1khz will do fine.

(btw, i do this for a living, if you're asking why I somehw have a rediculously expensive 'sound' package)