PDA

View Full Version : PSOBB: Will this GFX card be ok?

Neith
Apr 29, 2005, 03:14 AM
Im getting a new computer to run BB, but having looked at the homepage www.psobb.com, it appears there are specific Graphics Cards needed. Firstly, I know squat about PCS http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

1) Are they the only cards that BB will run on?
2) If not, will a 128MB PCI-Express ATI Radeon X300SE with TVout & DVI work ok with BB? I really need help with this, since I havent needed a new computer in ages :S Any help appreciated.

Getintothegame
Apr 29, 2005, 03:26 AM
I don't know much about the cards themself, too, but to assist whoever does know, here's a link to the graphics card PSOBB web page. (http://www.psobb.com/support/gb.php)

Neith
Apr 29, 2005, 03:28 AM
It seems to be an ok card, but I'm not sure what Direct 3D is, or whether that card will run it...

BrokenHope
Apr 29, 2005, 08:50 AM
I'd avoid that video card personally, it will run, but on the lowest settings, which look like crap, and since PSO isn't the best looking of games, would you really want it looking worse?

Neith
Apr 29, 2005, 11:24 AM
It's strange that, Lineage 2 would run great on it, and that seems to be a more graphics-orientated game. It's the card I get with my PC, I guess I could upgrade it if necessary. Anyone else of the same opinion as BrokenHope? I want to get a few people's opinions, since a friend told me it should run fine :S

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: UrikoBB3 on 2005-04-29 09:39 ]</font>

Dek
Apr 29, 2005, 04:14 PM
Personally, I would recommend the ATI RADEON 9800 Pro. I'm using the 128 MB version right now for my games (StarWars: Battlefront and Warcraft 3) and I haven't had any problems with it. Though, I would recommend getting the 256 MB version just for good measures

Tancient
Apr 29, 2005, 07:36 PM
Just test it out. Best thing to do before forking out money, is to ask yourself: Does this run the game the way I like it?

You've got a free download, and soon a free beta. By all means, test it first. Some people are picky, some aren't.

Neith
Apr 30, 2005, 06:16 AM
Yeah, I suppose that's the way to go. Ive had to buy the card, since it's the one Ive chose to be fitted with the computer, if the graphics detail is atrocious, then I can always upgrade in the future. If it's ok, then I'll live with it. Thanks for the replies.

Dreadmann
May 1, 2005, 10:53 AM
-been awhile since I posted-

I actually know a fairly decent amount about computers so if you would have it I'd give you my opinion.

The cards listed are cards that the game is guaranteed to work well on. The cards were thoroughly tested by sonic team and are guaranteed to be supported.
The card you have there is a very nice card, superior to the 9800 in every way, but I can't guarantee how it's going to work on BB. A friend of mine has a very nice top of the line card (GeForce 6600GT) and the game runs horrible on his computer because the card isn't supported.
Hopefully these issues will be worked out in the beta.

oh and that Direct3d, every graphics card made within the past 10 years has that, so don't worry about that.

Edit:
OH, Don't let this deter you. If you can get that card go for it. Other people have better cards and are running at full quality.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dreadmann on 2005-05-01 09:01 ]</font>

BrokenHope
May 1, 2005, 01:12 PM
On 2005-05-01 08:53, Dreadmann wrote:
-been awhile since I posted-

I actually know a fairly decent amount about computers so if you would have it I'd give you my opinion.

The cards listed are cards that the game is guaranteed to work well on. The cards were thoroughly tested by sonic team and are guaranteed to be supported.
The card you have there is a very nice card, superior to the 9800 in every way, but I can't guarantee how it's going to work on BB. A friend of mine has a very nice top of the line card (GeForce 6600GT) and the game runs horrible on his computer because the card isn't supported.
Hopefully these issues will be worked out in the beta.

oh and that Direct3d, every graphics card made within the past 10 years has that, so don't worry about that.

Edit:
OH, Don't let this deter you. If you can get that card go for it. Other people have better cards and are running at full quality.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dreadmann on 2005-05-01 09:01 ]</font>

BS the card is MUCH worse than a 9800, plus it only has a 64 bit memory bus, the support card list doesn't mean a whole lot, I mean shit, it doesn't list my X850XT, but you honestly think it will run bad on pretty much one of the best video cards you can get?

Your friends 6600GT(which is in no way top of the line, it's a mid range card) not working properly has nothing to do with it not being on the list and all to do with something being messed up on your friends system.

To put it into perspective, the X300SE can be bought new in the UK for around 40 pounds, it's equivilent to a 9600SE, it's a budget card and is equal or worse than a nvidia FX5200.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: BrokenHope on 2005-05-01 11:14 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: BrokenHope on 2005-05-01 11:16 ]</font>

Dreadmann
May 1, 2005, 02:05 PM
Little too much hostility for my taste but I apologize for my ignorance. I use NVidia myself, I thought the X--- generation of Radeons were better than the previous due to the updated chipset. And yes, the support card list doesn't mean a whole lot, I edited my post because of your reply in the max performance thread.

I was not suggesting a card for Uriko to buy. I don't know what the budget is but nevertheless this card should run PSO fine. I will admit for pci express the card does not give perfect performance but for ST's requirements it should run the game at Normal or Above. (If you are right in saying that it's 5200/9600se equivalent)

About the 6600GT, yes that statement was a little pretentious, but it keeps new games running at 60fps or above and that's good enough for me.

Neith
May 1, 2005, 02:10 PM
Ok, conflicting opinions here, but valued nonetheless. Ive been reading reviews, and to say they're varied would be an understatement. Some say they had the X300 running Doom 3, HL2 at nice detail, others say its a bad card.

I realise it's not gonna be a high-performance card, being relatively cheap, but when I have the money, I can just throw it, and get a more powerful card. Even really bad detail will do for now, just to see me though until I have money for a better card.