PDA

View Full Version : TV Audio problem

HAYABUSA-FMW-
May 2, 2005, 02:34 AM
A Television I purchased last month has a slight annoyance.

The hardware itself is a 20"(inch) Flat Screen(not flat panel-LCD/Plasma), Philips brand.

The audio constantly switches back and forth, on the numerous channels I frequent, between Mono and Stereo sound. this is when watching cable TV. During audio input devices, game-systems/etc. it is always Stereo.

In the pull up menu through the controller, I can manually adjust the sound from Mono to Stereo on occasion. Sometimes I can, sometimes I cannot.

Is there a problem with my television set, or the cable feed it is hooked up to?

Should I be worried, and/or return my set for a replacement?

The instruction manual doesn't state anything about this problem in either the set-up or troubleshooting sections.

Can anyone help me on this? Any and all help will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Ancient
May 2, 2005, 02:51 AM
How exactly can you tell its in mono? Does the sound only come out of one speaker, or is there a visual cue for it? If it only happens when surfing cable tv, then its likely just the various shows you are watching. Remember most shows made before 1995 were mono, with the exception of larger budget prime time shows. If you are watching syndicated stuff then its likely in mono. Its funny to think that now only 10 years later, most prime time shows are simal-cast in widesreen HD with 5.1 digital surround.

HAYABUSA-FMW-
May 2, 2005, 03:04 AM
The sound will change, I go to check the pull up menu and it will say mono, from a previous: stereo.

This will happen when watching the same channel. I did think about that, the channels and shows might not be broadcast in stereo, but if it happens during the same channel's broadcast?

It is most common on the sports broadcasts. TNT, ESPN, ESPN 2, etc.

There is a visual cue onscreen, shown when changing channels. It doesn't prompt after the sound changes, so I change it to a different channel and back again to test and it will be shown onscreen mono-from stereo or vice versa.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: HAYABUSA-FMW- on 2005-05-02 01:05 ]</font>

Ryna
May 2, 2005, 08:37 AM
It just sounds like the shows you are watching are being broadcast in mono.

Is there any option to force mono broadcasts to be played on both speakers?

If not, you could always try hooking up your TV's audio to a stereo system and force it to become a stereo stream.