PDA

View Full Version : They are just so cool...

Kidou
May 5, 2005, 10:25 AM
Last night Scrub said I annoyed everyone on this forum, for just being me. Which pissed me off, and made me an angry child who had to go to school today and deal with people who just love labels.

Labels are one of high schools or any grade level's biggest pride. Making people know who they are and who they can't hang out with. The lamest thing I've ever heard of. Just because one kid likes punk, doesn't mean they can't hang out with someone who likes classical.

Same with clothing styles.

Labels are strange, but the strangest is this... "emo" stuff. Emo stands for emotional, if you don't know. But anyways, they are the whiney kids who hide in the corners usually crying over something as little as their boy/girl friend smiled at someone else.

Everyone is emotional at some time or another, but emo's take it to the extream that EVERYONE must know their tales of woe. They have icons that say things like "I'm all alone, forever..." and wear the shirts that say "hopeless". Now, I don't mean to offend anyone with this rant, and I am sure it has been said before, but I have to post it. It just makes me so angry!

Emo kids also have livejournals, greatestjournal, all types of blogs. Now I have a lj and gj just so I can keep in touch with my internet friends. I don't whine about life, just about hurting myself pole vaulting.

Here are some current labels I've seen, and what they mean (To a small extent. Not everybody with those labels are just like that.):

Prep- Popular person, who is rather fake and wouldn't give you a glass of water if you were dying.
Poser- Someone who pretends to be any of these labels. Very lame. Trys to hard.
Goth- The kids usually glad in spikes and black, they hate the world. Write depressing poetry and usually think about death.
Jock- Best at every sport, thinks they are top everything, usually not that good at school.
Emo- "I hate life! I hate me! I have no reason to live! My gold fishie died, my life is worse then yours!"
Skater guys/girls- Just.. stay away from them.. a strange bunch, only met a few normal ones that don't speak in code.
Punk-Ah the rebles. Fighting to be different, but yet... they are still the same as everyone else.
Teckie- The students who are really smart. Love to show off their skills. Usually pale skin and large glasses.
Non-Labeled- This would be me. The normal student who is just trying to enjoy their time, and dodge away from their teacher's questions.

Now, please don't tell me how they aren't true. I clearly said that it doesn't apply to everyone. Just because yer Goth, doesn't mean you want to die.. blah blah blah!

If you see one I missed, tell me. Thankies.

Sagasu
May 5, 2005, 11:34 AM
Wise Ass - Think they can put labels on others since their opinion is 'clearly' better than the rest.

One would label me goth, due to my dark clothing and lack of obsessant chatting.

"Hey, you look like you're dead, you know that?"

http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_disapprove.gif

AYY-BEE-CEE
May 5, 2005, 02:47 PM
Oh dear, obvious omission...

Chav - Arrogant w*nkers who go around thinking they own the place: these guys wear fake burberry, argos jewellery and tracksuits while going around thinking they're gangstas, when really they are just annoying idiots who need taken down a peg or two.

http://www.cecimoz.co.uk/flashpanel/Chavs2.htm

- - - - -

I don't like these poser-types you have listed above like the emos (the emus, ha ha) and the goths - although I don't mind them listening to what music they like (even if I can't understand the appeal), I really don't get this whole image thing that comes with it - the teenage angst makes me cringe at times, but perhaps that's me being too judgemental.

Chavs are the worst though, while emos and the like are only abusive to their wrists (just teasing http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif ), the chavs feel almost duty-bound to be abusive to anyone they see who they feel worthy of their attention.

KodiaX987
May 5, 2005, 03:04 PM
What about the "Yo"? Those guys that wear big huge clothes? I used to be a Yo before and I wanna know how I rack up! http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Orange_Coconut
May 5, 2005, 03:28 PM
I personally don't think you can label a person by how they look. There are some people who strive to fit the stereotype, people who just fit the stereotype unintentionally, and people who seem like they meet the stereotype.

Everybody is different, yet many people are similar. You need to hear the person out before judging, even spend some time with them. Sometimes they act like they're in a particular group, but only do so to be accepted. This isn't only a case of being popular, either.

Everyone makes assumptions, however, sometimes that's stepping into dangerous territory. There are some people who hate to be labeled, and even if they are similar or even exactly the same as a certain group of people according to your definitions, they may not see themselves in the same way.

Mixfortune
May 5, 2005, 05:14 PM
Yay stereotypes.
Interestingly enough, your stereotypes are all in place, but it's interesting how little they actually apply to a person's mindset. Meaning, they're also so very wrong.

Emo kids also have livejournals, greatestjournal, all types of blogs. Now I have a lj and gj just so I can keep in touch with my internet friends. I don't whine about life, just about hurting myself pole vaulting.

Here's where you have to consider a sort of cause and effect relationship. Do LJ's mean someone is 'emo', or do 'emo's get LJ's? The difference being, just because a stereotypical emo may "whine about life" on an LJ or something, doesn't mean all those with LJs are more likely to be emo.

How can you "not mean to offend people with this rant", when it's written the way it is? Maybe laughing and being amused at your use of the stereotypes, perhaps.

Clothing style, again, cause and effect.

Now, please don't tell me how they aren't true. I clearly said that it doesn't apply to everyone. Just because yer Goth, doesn't mean you want to die.. blah blah blah!

If it doesn't apply to everyone, why mention them in the first place? Unless that's your total point, which isn't all too clear from your post.

But, I find these two sections combined rather odd. Perhaps you could explain them:

Labels are one of high schools or any grade level's biggest pride. Making people know who they are and who they can't hang out with. The lamest thing I've ever heard of. Just because one kid likes punk, doesn't mean they can't hang out with someone who likes classical.

Labels are strange, but the strangest is this... "emo" stuff. Emo stands for emotional, if you don't know. But anyways, they are the whiney kids who hide in the corners usually crying over something as little as their boy/girl friend smiled at someone else.

Eh? Sort of contradicts itself...

Anyways, here's something it seems you need to keep in mind, especially when dealing with stereotypes, and trying to fit people into them forcibly...

A chair is a noun, but a noun isn't necessarily a chair.

Think about that a bit.

EJ
May 5, 2005, 05:30 PM
Oh crap, I'm a goth then since I wear black 95% of the time. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_disapprove.gif

I also hate the world on occassion though. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Daikarin
May 5, 2005, 05:39 PM
Normal - Doesn't give a rat's ass about what other people say about him, and just dresses like he wants, talks like he believes, and acts like himself.

I think I was more like one of these.

Kidou
May 5, 2005, 06:07 PM
http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif Why did I write this? Because I need to get it off my mind. Don't care what people say about it. Get offended if you want. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Ness
May 5, 2005, 06:15 PM
Why do people think labels actually matter? People call themselves or other certain things like "emo" or "prep" as if it makes them special or makes the other person inferior. What most people need to realize is that people can't be put into classes; we are just too diverse. Even those who dress and act an certain way are too different to be grouped together.

Also, I think it is sad that people feel they need to be a part of a certian class. Who cares if you're "emo" or "gangsta" or "preppy?" As long as you are being true to yourself you have nothing to worry about.

Kidou
May 5, 2005, 06:29 PM
Ness, you are right. I usually try not to let anyone label me. Sometimes it happens. But, that is life. People are always judging you, but its up to people to make sure that their judgements mean nothing...

RicoRoyal
May 5, 2005, 07:37 PM
On 2005-05-05 16:15, Ness wrote:
What most people need to realize is that people can't be put into classes; we are just too diverse.

That's more or less the inverse of how I percieve stereotypes and classes. Steoreotypes, are a crude, often overblown, occasionaly false classifications of people. But whoa, hey there, back the truck up. Classes implies classification.

Merriam-Webster Online's definition of classification:
1 : the act or process of classifying
2 a : systematic arrangement in groups or categories according to established criteria; specifically : TAXONOMY b : CLASS, CATEGORY

You say, "people can't be put into classes; we are just too diverse", while in actually, people are only really put into classes for the very same reason you believe they can't be placed into classes. If we did not classify people according to established criteria (clothing, hair-styles, musical tastes etc.), we would spend every waking minute of our outside lives analysizing each and every individual that crosses our path.

I'll pitch an example, although I don't neccessarily guarantee that it gets my point across the way I would like it to do so (I'm in somewhat of a hurry).

You're walking down the street. A man approaches you. He looks like a transient. He smells like a transient. Just how wrong would it be for you to assume that he is perhaps, as your common sense dictates, a transient? What better way to make sure whether he is or isn't a transient than to engage in a lenghtly conversation with the man? Upon seeing the man approaching you, do you quickly address his concerns and be on your way, or do you peer deep into his eyes in search of who he really is? I wager that most people here would either completely ignore the man (because for who knows what reasons, many people do not trust a man who looks like he hasn't had a good shower in weeks) or quickly address his concerns and continue along paying little attention to who the individual really is.

If he looks like a bum and smells like a bum, well shit, chances are he's a bum. We classify groups of people and store that information in the back of our head so as to avoid having to talk to every bum we might come across in our daily routines. Do I think classifying everyone and everything that one comes accross in life is correct? Not really, but you really must admit, when used moderately, classifying people saves a hell of alot of trouble and time (moderation is key of course, as extreme forms of classification is more than likely going to lead to more trouble).

What I'm getting at is that we are just too diverse for our own good. Not putting people into classes would do nothing more than over-complicate our lives and lead to personal depression upon realization that the majority of individuals are just here on this good, green Earth to eat, drink, fuck and sleep their lives away (yes, that's how I classify the majority of people on this planet).

In public, many of you would likely frown upon stereotypes, but for the most part, most of you go through the daily routine of efficiently classifying things, people, and places in order to actually move more than a fucking inch forward in your day.

Ness
May 5, 2005, 08:02 PM
That's was a well written post but I was maily talkign about high school and middle school since that's the only time when "social classes" are held in high esteem. Also your entire arguement can be nullified by the phrase "who cares?" You may "spend every waking minute" analysizing "each and every individual that crosses our path," but I could care less. When I look at a person, I don't really pay much attention to them unless they are hot or someone I know. I don't try to analyze every single person I come across because, quite frankly, there is no point.

I gain nothing by trying to but someone in a certain class or analyzing every aspect of their personality or lifestyle by looking at them. In fact, doing such a thing would be shallow.

RicoRoyal
May 5, 2005, 08:18 PM
Well, I suppose that when talking about High School and Middle School situations, the whole "who cares" idealogy is a very big plus to the individual executing it. In anycase, sorry for going off on such a tangent http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif

Personally, I classify my fair share of social groups on a daily basis (outside of school mostly, as I generally get to know most of my university chums on a personal basis), although I do so mostly for the sake of maintaning a sense of safety and diplomacy within my surroundings. While out and about in unknown territory, I find it best to keep the stereotype-o'meter on high steam, as I enjoy not being stabbed, shot, robbed, and/or conned while going about my business. For such situations, I always uphold the "better safe than sorry" set of rules. Classification of others for me is more of a safety measure than anything else. Meh, as Kidou said, "that is life." We all do it, whether we like to admit it or not.

Ness
May 5, 2005, 08:26 PM
On 2005-05-05 18:18, RicoRoyal wrote:
Well, I suppose that when talking about High School and Middle School situations, the whole "who cares" idealogy is a very big plus to the individual executing it. In anycase, sorry for going off on such a tangent http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif

Personally, I classify my fair share of social groups on a daily basis (outside of school mostly, as I generally get to know most of my university chums on a personal basis), although I do so mostly for the sake of maintaning a sense of safety and diplomacy within my surroundings. While out and about in unknown territory, I find it best to keep the stereotype-o'meter on high steam, as I enjoy not being stabbed, shot, robbed, and/or conned while going about my business. For such situations, I always uphold the "better safe than sorry" set of rules. Classification of others for me is more of a safety measure than anything else. Meh, as Kidou said, "that is life." We all do it, whether we like to admit it or not.

It's all good man, but I meant that the "who cares?" philosphy can work in any situation. As for getting shot, robbed, or whatever, just don't trust anyone that looks supicious. You don't have to classify anyone to determine whether or not they are possibly a threat.

Ness
May 5, 2005, 08:27 PM
On 2005-05-05 18:18, RicoRoyal wrote:

It's all good man, but I meant that the "who cares?" philosphy can work in any situation. As for getting shot, robbed, or whatever, just don't trust anyone that looks supicious. You don't have to classify anyone to determine whether or not they are possibly a threat.

Wyndham
May 5, 2005, 08:59 PM
yeah, I know all about labelling, as it happens to me a lot.
just because i have huge canines, and I perfer black clothes, I'm suddenly a satanist.
I also write darker, or creepier, sometimers depressing poetry, but I do it well. Emos usually just want to be noticed for it.
f anyone hasn't noticed, which usually slips labellers' minds, is that hgoths, emos, etc. are people too, which is the main problem with this.
oh yeah. I also have some spikes and stuff, but only because I like them.

HAYABUSA-FMW-
May 6, 2005, 04:22 AM
On 2005-05-05 13:04, KodiaX987 wrote:
What about the "Yo"? Those guys that wear big huge clothes? I used to be a Yo before and I wanna know how I rack up! http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

I dunno why I started doing this as well. Starting with just peer pressure(everyone did it) and then later to hide my fat/shame; I wore huge clothing. I look back on it now and realize how crazy I was, buying oversized shoes and clothes nonstop.

Some kids around here don't understand me now though. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif "Why are your shoe laces so tight?" "Why are you wearing a medium sized shirt?"

Some of these local kids wear XXXL $5 T-shirts(while being clearly less than 200 lbs and/or 6 feet tall), shoes two sizes too big and sometimes without the laces, oversized jeans with no belts(or a belt and not using it) and walk around with headphones on blaring their music with full bass and volume, talking about what they "claim" and where they're from/how "hard" they are.

I love the suburbs!

I still wear old pairs of "Beyond Baggy Jeans" for work since I don't want to go buy any new jeans just to get all ruined anyway. I have way too many articles of cothing that are too big for me. NBA jerseys aren't really made for the 5'7" Japanese American kids. But that's another rant for another day.

Stereotypes are at times ridiculous. I'm considered "ghetto fabolous" by one person simply for wearing Nike tennis shoes and a sweatsuit jacket, or I'm considered someone who "only listens to rock music" by a coworker- for no given reason at all.

Fossil
May 7, 2005, 02:52 PM
Your definitions are so true. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

agenevil
May 8, 2005, 09:53 PM
Screw image.

space_butler
May 9, 2005, 04:03 AM
its funny reading what the internet thinks me and my friends are like...

agenevil
May 13, 2005, 06:51 PM
Just a question, I have a kick-ass PUMA white and green track jacket, does that make me a chav?