PDA

View Full Version : New Beginning = Fun!

Notos
May 13, 2005, 10:03 AM
BB is fun even without all the bells and whistles of ep2 and 4. Finally, I'm running around in normal mode without having to worry about lv10 HUcast running around with asuka, every single force having a psycho wand and spaming nuke 24/7 or every ranger carrying souped up needle and hacked FS/SQ. We're all weak and quite frankly, I'm enjoying it. Don't you guys think this is a nice change of pace?

Neith
May 13, 2005, 10:07 AM
yeah, feels great to own boomas with the mighty ice autogun +2 http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif Some guy on it yesterday said it was hackable easily though :S

watashiwa
May 13, 2005, 11:48 AM
On 2005-05-13 08:07, UrikoBB3 wrote:
Some guy on it yesterday said it was hackable easily though :S

Don't always believe everything you hear!

Sabreman
May 13, 2005, 12:19 PM
I'm really enjoying it. I've been away from PSO for quite a while, even though I played an awful lot of it over the previous incarnations (barring Ep. III). Just running around the Forest brought a smile to my face, and that was before I started remembering things like Endless Nightmare 4, or special weapons, Mag raising, etc.

I'm gonna have a blast all over again.

Mystil
May 14, 2005, 12:24 AM
What I loved when I setted foot in BB...was the rush..you know what rush Im talking about. It's so nice to see so many players in PSO again, I thought I'd never see that many again. GC is a distant memory now.

Stag
May 14, 2005, 03:29 PM
Everytime a new version of pso comes out, it is great. Everyone is having fun and no hacks are around,but eventually and unfortunately (don't want to say this) its downfall occurs. Then everyone has a super hacked weapon. Once again pso has a downfall and why? Because people sux0rz, they end up hacking and taking all the fun outta the game. Its happened with every version put out and will, unfortunately, continue to happen. So ladies and gents, enjoy the game while it last because its downfall will happen and probably sooner than what you think. And everyone knows that I'm right, and i hate that i am. So with that all said, enjoy the hunt. And to all the hackers, YOU SUCK! Yeah you read that, YOU SUCK!

shinobu_seta
May 14, 2005, 03:37 PM
On 2005-05-14 13:29, Stag wrote:
Everytime a new version of pso comes out, it is great. Everyone is having fun and no hacks are around,but eventually and unfortunately (don't want to say this) its downfall occurs. Then everyone has a super hacked weapon. Once again pso has a downfall and why? Because people sux0rz, they end up hacking and taking all the fun outta the game. Its happened with every version put out and will, unfortunately, continue to happen. So ladies and gents, enjoy the game while it last because its downfall will happen and probably sooner than what you think. And everyone knows that I'm right, and i hate that i am. So with that all said, enjoy the hunt. And to all the hackers, YOU SUCK! Yeah you read that, YOU SUCK!

You've got a good point, but I too hope that you're wrong.

Unlike all the other versions of PSO, this version is for PC, and thus is patchable. Plus GM's are supposedly going to be present this time (although I've never seen one myself). Also there's not a mainstream cheat device like AR for computer. In order to hack or mess with BB, you're going to actually know something about computers (which all of today's so called script kiddie AR using wanabees know nothing of)

So really this time around, it's going to be up to sega as to whether or not PSO will stay cheat free. They can continue to patch the servers when new threats arise, or they can choose to ignore us and continue to collect HL money from the dedicated players while they endure the abuse.

I wonder which it will probably be.... We love you Sega http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif

Stag
May 14, 2005, 03:46 PM
I would have to agree with you some. Unfortunately, GM's have supposedly been around. You would rarely see a GM. And i know its for PC. Yes it is up to SEGA to keep pso cheat free. They've tried for awhile, doing different things. Eventually they quit caring, it seems, and that is when the downfall will occur. Sorry. Great game, but hackers will win eventually. Actually, i challenge SEGA! DON'T LET THE HACKERS WIN. (like they'll read that)

Stag
May 14, 2005, 03:49 PM
Oh, i forgot... PC is an easy way to hack... It'll happen. Wait and see

chibiLegolas
May 14, 2005, 03:54 PM
I couldn't agree more Notos. I love the saber animation and it's useful again.
woo-hoo!

And time to fight for every simple little items in every room. Hey, everyone's gotta earn money too.
^_^'

Though I gotta get a control pad or something. I'm having difficulty even trying to aim for boxes, let alone the boomas.
http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Mystil
May 14, 2005, 08:09 PM
On 2005-05-14 13:29, Stag wrote:

Yeah I've been thinking this as well. Thats why I wont hesitate to take advantage of this time and now and not take this version for granted. I made that mistake with PSOGC unfortunatly.

FFXI has been out since October 2003(2002 in japan), there is no cheating what so ever. It can be done, it can be stopped.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Silhouette on 2005-05-14 18:11 ]</font>

Wyndham
May 14, 2005, 08:40 PM
this almost makes me wish I had a PC instead of my mac mini...
almost, mind you.
*is thankful for psu coming out*

Fefnir
May 14, 2005, 08:59 PM
A fresh start to the game is great and all... But I just spent half the day teaching beginners how to play... Uuuuuugh...

shinobu_seta
May 14, 2005, 10:08 PM
On 2005-05-14 18:59, Fefnir wrote:
A fresh start to the game is great and all... But I just spent half the day teaching beginners how to play... Uuuuuugh...

Yeah it seems that a lot of PC users just saw a free beta going on and decided to try it out. I hope they stick with it though. I remember I did my photon blast in front of a new group the other day and it amazed them, lol. Of course after that I had to go into detail about mag feeding and the purpose of mags.....ugh -_- it's worth it to help with a new generation of legit players though ^_^

But back on subject, since it is for PC, that does mean that it could potentially be easier to cheat. And some people WILL cheat, however the majority will be unable to.

The majority of Cheaters on GC used AR and just got their codes from some web sites. This isn't possible for PC, and I doubt anyone with any real PC know-how is gonna teach a script kiddie brat how to do things to screw up some online game.

Basically what I'm getting at is that your mainstream 12 year old idiots will no longer have the means or the ability to cheat. Therefore we should at least see a lot less of it.

adamgnome104
May 14, 2005, 11:40 PM
I love the freedom of not having to deposite everything in your bank, although I'm not sure what I should raise my mag too! X.x

I don't have to worry about seeing all the crappy weapons in PSO GC. And seeing a Photon Drop appear on the ground nearly gave me a heart attack. X.x

Not to mention, for the 1000 people in one server, it seems that no one seems to spam, with all the newbs people are nice and seem helpful.

I ended up seeing a lot of people from PSOW and some people from PSO GC who weren't spammy. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

I had to start over anyways, someone corrupted me on PSO GC. Stupid bastard, I'm glad no one is that stupid on PSOBB. >_>

Neith
May 15, 2005, 11:07 AM
Ive only had one 'undesirable' person on BB so far, called me a noob, even though I was 13 levels higher >_> Other than that though, it's been great so far, even though it's just the same game again http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Sabreman
May 15, 2005, 11:42 AM
Well, I don't know about other people's experiences online so far, but a couple of my brief visits to the more popular lobbies has been rather depressing. I'm assuming this is because the beta is completely free and easy to acquire, and once the free period is over all the troublemakers will move onto something else.

As for hacking, it's not going to bother me too much. As others have said, it's much easier to keep a PC-based game stable, especially if the online support is strong (we have yet to see if it will be). I tend to stay in a fairly close-knit group of long-term PSO players anyway.

Mystil
May 15, 2005, 11:47 AM
Screw all the negativity, let's just have fun. ^_^

Notos
May 15, 2005, 01:23 PM
So far BB is still very enjoyable. I've met only one snob and the rest of the community seems nice. I even canceled my xbox HL for this. Hmm... I should update my sig, but read the first line of my sig. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif I'll do it Monday.

Skorpius
May 15, 2005, 04:21 PM
I love not able to play with the new PSO community on Blue burst due to not having time to play for 8 hours a day / having a PC / having a decent graphics card.

PJ
May 15, 2005, 04:50 PM
On 2005-05-15 14:21, Skorpius wrote:
I love not able to play with the new PSO community on Blue burst due to not having time to play for 8 hours a day / having a PC / having a decent graphics card.

I love how I'd have to buy a whole new computer to lose 10 characters (11 if I decide to raise this second FOmar), start at level 1, only have normal and Episode 1, and have no offline mode.

Doesn't BB sound great everyone? ^_^b

watashiwa
May 15, 2005, 04:52 PM
Sure it does when you try to make stupid comparisons to the Gamecube version when it's obvious things are only disabled for the Beta.

I don't mind starting over from scratch, it was never hard to level in PSO anyway.

Saiffy
May 15, 2005, 04:54 PM
You're going to get flamed for that PJ. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Character limit stupid comparision? How so?

PJ
May 15, 2005, 04:54 PM
Fine.

No offline mode. Did I mention offline was free, with not disabled stuff?

watashiwa
May 15, 2005, 04:55 PM
Character limit, OK, I'll give you that. You still had to buy another memory card for every four new characters you wanted to use. Either way, it's another purchase.

Plus for the Gamecube purchase only having to be made one time, whereas you have to pay extra every month for each set of four characters on BB.

I don't mind not having the TRUE offline mode. It's better to play offline mode online anyway.

It's painfully obvious why you have to play offline mode online. It's to prevent people from going offline, hacking themself to death, then coming online.

I s'pose they could have "fixed" this by having a true offline mode with characters you could not come online with.

But their decision right now to have the old offline mode as only playable online does make sense.

If you still want to play PSO offline, no one's stopping you from playing your old Gamecube copy, though.

You can easily cancel your GC HL, play BB online with it's HL, and play your Gamecube version offline when you don't want to bother with being on the internet. That's what I plan to do.. if I ever play PSO offline.. which I really never have since Dreamcast. (Gamecube version I always played online unless I needed to unlock areas offline. With Blue Burst you can unlock the areas online so I'm fine with that.)

If I wrote an online game, I'd never want peoples' offline characters coming online.

In addition to PSO being easy to level up, Blue Burst has made it even easier. The enemies give even more experience and the new government mission system does a great job of "masking" the whole level grind thing. I found with the two BB characters I created, we were able to go through all the government missions without leveling up on the side, and be able to best all the bosses.

You work your way through them and are generally already prepared and decently leveled up enough to beat the boss when the mission comes up to tackle him. It's very convienent.

Still, the whole government mission thing is something that definitely should have been in PSO as early as version 1, imho.

You can take your friends along and unlock all the levels for online play all at the same time.

Let's also not forget such bonuses as the almost non-existant load time and the fact that if your client crashes, game freezes, or you somehow get disconnected abruptly, you will pretty much never lose ANYTHING.

Your equipped, unequipped items, and everything are all still intact.

Losing items to such bullshit things as FSOD, getting corrupted, and stuff of that nature are a thing of the past.

I'd say the only thing Gamecube has on BB is your character limit, which still requires a purchase, and it's true offline mode. (Which shouldn't even exist in the first place.. PSO is an online game.. if you want to be anti-social but kill lots of enemies, look into Dynasty Warriors or something..)

I'm not even sure why you're bringing in disabled stuff when you're comparing an Open Beta version of a game to a finished product. The things that are disabled are going to be opened up when the Beta ends on June 10th anyhow, so adding that to your reason as to why PSO GC is better is kind of .. well.. moronic.

Are you trying to get people to buy a dead product or something? Because, in my opinion, the Gamecube version of PSO is pretty much dead. Nowadays, I only play it when a friend of mine and her cousin are online.

It basically comes down to if you like playing with a community that's live or a community that's dead. That's the lifespan of PSO. It exists as long as it's community does. Gamecube's community has long since been deceased. (Though we still have your type. The hard headed ones who keep trying to shock the poor guy back to life and won't accept it's passing..)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: watashiwa on 2005-05-15 15:22 ]</font>

Skorpius
May 15, 2005, 05:18 PM
My FOmarl, when I first started the Beta, lost character levels, mag levels, and quest completions after getting disconnected from the servers.

:/ Rollbacks CAN and WILL happen unintentionally in the future. Blue burst is NOT a utopia haven, at least not as much as almost EVERYONE is making it out to be. Why can't anyone just say 'Yeah, Blue Burst has inexcusable flaws, but I prefer to sit on my ass all day on my computer because it feels safer"?

>_>

To play PSOGC, you had to buy a.. what.. 20 dollar Network adaptor? Memory cards are cheap (I already had 2 of them, and got some from games like Animal Crossing).

BB restricts you to 4 characters per initial payment.
GC does not.

BB is 'anti-cheat'.
GC is not.

BB can have roll backs.
GC can corrupt.

BB needs a 'gaming computer' ($$)
GC needs a.. GC, Memory Card, and Network Adaptor.

BB has 'good graphics', IF your computer is high end.
GC has great graphics, as standard.

BB has people.
GC is 'empty'

BB is unplayable when the servers are down.
GC is playable whenever you have a power source.

Blah blah blah.
*plays GC and stops Anti-BB crap*

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Skorpius on 2005-05-15 15:33 ]</font>

watashiwa
May 15, 2005, 05:27 PM
I've only lost things when the server went down for the ISP switch over when we weren't s'posed to be on it anyhow.

I can see rollbacks happening due to glitches exploited and them having to do some damage control, but that's expected. It's not such a big deal to me when everyone's in the same boat. Happened all the time in Ragnarok Online during it's beta and even during it's commercial running.

During the Open Beta, there's bound to be some issues here and there. You just need to report them so that they can get addressed.

Open Beta does not equal final game nor is it equivalent to "free new game to play", but we've covered that all in a previous topic, so no need to go through that again.

Best thing about Blue Burst is that the code can be permanently patched, unlike the read only area of your PSO DVD-ROM disc on your Gamecube.

Corrections to problems, content additions, and things of that nature can all be added, which pretty much makes the expandability of Blue Burst limitless.

If they wanted to milk PSO for even more, they could even release an Episode 5 to Blue Burst because of it's platform.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: watashiwa on 2005-05-15 15:28 ]</font>

Kent
May 15, 2005, 05:31 PM
I can't wait to get PSOBB to actually work on my computer, so I can start up a FOmar and play with my friends online again...

On 2005-05-14 18:09, Silhouette wrote:

FFXI has been out since October 2003(2002 in japan), there is no cheating what so ever. It can be done, it can be stopped.

Not to go off-topic or anything, but ehh... There are cheats for that, actually, just nothing severe live we've seen in PSO.

Mystil
May 15, 2005, 06:28 PM
Ok fish botting, and gil sellers. It's minor.

There's no duping, and theres no fsod. And you can't be uber powerful right off the bat. Lets leave it that. ~_^

I don't get this.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Silhouette on 2005-05-15 16:31 ]</font>

Sabreman
May 16, 2005, 04:49 PM
It's all PSO in the end, and PSO is all good.

Jive18
May 16, 2005, 05:00 PM
My sister today, by some outside miracle from god-knows-who, decided she wanted to play some PSO. She really hadn't played much before, but she knew how to generally do most things. The only problem was, she had no character. So I'm thinking "just wonderful" as she is creating her RAmarl, because all my guys are tons higher than Normal. I decided to bust out the level 1 HUcaseal just for this fiasco.

Who ever knew offline multi on GC could be nearly as fun as it once was? I never thought I would again be excited over an untekked handgun with no percents. Seems to me that if you've got someone to play with who's not an A-Hole, Gamecube can be fun without going through all the hassle of BB.

Sitka
May 16, 2005, 05:02 PM
BB is fresh.

BB is fun.

BB is hacker/duper/cheater free and Sega has made it clear that it wants it to stay that way.

I am enjoying this version of PSO and am happy to support Sega for this great online effort.

Enough with the negative crap - if you don't want to play it, don't.

Otherwise, let's get it on!

Mixfortune
May 16, 2005, 05:38 PM
I like windowed mode.
Playing the beta at the moment because there's a few people I haven't been able to really play online PSO with before, and it's free at the moment, so it's fun.
As for whether I'd get an HL for it... yet to be decided.

Although the offline-online shared characters of DC to GC are more bad than good, the good is quite large as well... if or when the servers ever go down, or you can't pay for HL, you don't completely 'lose' everything. Granted, if you're the only one playing PSO around where you are, solo offline could get tedious and quickly burn out anyways, but eh.

Mystil
May 16, 2005, 06:11 PM
Oh yes..that is why I just hung it all up for my GC characters.