PDA

View Full Version : PSO v1 to v2 conversion?

LadyKei
Jul 31, 2002, 12:15 PM
Ok, I'm just curious...I've probably just missed it somewher on the site, and may not even be posting in the right forum, but...

I've got PSO v1, and have been looking for a while at getting PSO v2....now having the money to get it and keep an internet connection for it up, what are the differences between the three versions (for Xbox, Gamecube, and Dreamcast)? Do they all have special stuff that neither of the other two have, or are they all the same just with spiffier graphics and such?

Thanks.

WraithAkaMrak
Jul 31, 2002, 12:33 PM
Phantasy Star Online Episode I & II (as it is called) on the GameCube adds new levels, character types, and items not found in PSO version 2 for the Dreamcast. It is pay-to-play, like the Dreamcast version. You can play via dialup modem or broadband. (You have to purchase a modem ($35) or broadband adapter ($35) for the GameCube to play online.) You will also want to purchase a GameCube keyboard/controller combo peripheral to communicate (as communicating w/ a regular controller is much more difficult).

A lot is yet unknown about the Xbox version. There is a release of PSO on the Xbox for Japan which seems to be the same as version 2 on the Dreamcast and will be bundled with Xbox Live there. Here in the U.S., we aren't sure what we'll be getting. It could be a port of the DC version, it could be the same as the GameCube version, or it could be something different. We aren't sure yet. Xbox Live, which all online Xbox games will use to connect, costs $50 for the online software, a headset communicator, and 12 months of online service. The service costs $10/month after this 12-month period ends. You will communicate with a voice communicator instead of a keyboard. You don't need memory cards to save (because of the hard drive). And it is broadband only, with the broadband connection built-in to the Xbox. There may or may not be additional fees for PSO on Xbox, other than the Xbox Live fees. There will be an extra fee in Japan, if that is any indication.

LadyKei
Jul 31, 2002, 12:49 PM
Hmm...so just getting PSO v2 for the Dreamcast now isn't a terribly great deal, I should probably just wait for the Gamecube or Xbox versions and get the extra features? I presume there's no way to transfer chars from a VMU to the Xbox drive or the Gamecube memory card, or one planned to be released.

Kalbelgarion
Jul 31, 2002, 12:57 PM
Yep, you cannot take your characters from the DC version to the XBOX or GCN version.

If you can hold out until this fall, the new GCN game will be coming out in October, and the XBOX game will come out in November.

LadyKei
Jul 31, 2002, 07:51 PM
I hope that when the Xbox and Gamecube versions come out there'll be a new wave of newbies to play with...went on earlier today with PSOv1 just to check it out, there was NOBODY online...

Maybe I'm just too much of a newbie to find them all...ah well.

Oh, and the onscreen keyboard sucks. It's like pulling your own teeth out through your nose to try and use. Just thought I'd mention that.