PDA

View Full Version : PSOBB: Is it worth it?

Zinger314
May 22, 2005, 12:21 PM
Topic.

As you can tell by my join date, I was an active PSOX player.

Now, PSOBB would be a dream for me, as it's virtually hackless.

However...if you look at the current MMORPGS (World of Warcraft, Guild Wars), is PSOBB worth the $10 monthly fee?

PSOBB has much less content than say, World of Warcraft, and also a very weak player base. (I'd estimate about 5,000, which is low).

Although, I may check out PSOBB for Episode 4. Now to decide to be a Purplenum RAmarl or a Redria RAmarl...

*ponder's Ultimate Drop Charts...*

Daikarin
May 22, 2005, 12:41 PM
Yes it is. And will be much more when Episode IV levels are available.

Saiffy
May 22, 2005, 12:42 PM
We can't really decide for you, but if you still find PSO fun, and you're done with PSOX. I'd say go for it.

Zinger314
May 22, 2005, 12:44 PM
On 2005-05-22 10:42, Saiffwin wrote:
We can't really decide for you, but if you still find PSO fun, and you're done with PSOX. I'd say go for it.

Well, I haven't played any PSO in a year (You know my FAQ that is in the "Newly Updated" section? 1 year old.)

I did download the Beta client...I'll see if I can check it out.

It might be hard to use Arrow keys though...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Zinger314 on 2005-05-22 10:45 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Zinger314 on 2005-05-22 10:46 ]</font>

Hrith
May 22, 2005, 12:46 PM
PSO is not a MMORPG, and therefore pwns shit like WoW or GW.

But if you know the Xbox version, BB is exactly the same game, up to you, like Saiff said, "if you still find it fun", otherwise...

adamgnome104
May 22, 2005, 01:07 PM
Why don't you DOWNLOAD THE FREE BETA yourself and find out.

http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_disapprove.gif

Zinger314
May 22, 2005, 01:09 PM
Damn, I can't seem to input my Game ID ingame...

When I press Enter to input the ID, the keyboard keys don't do anything.

Any advice?

Hrith
May 22, 2005, 01:16 PM
http://www.pso-world.com/viewtopic.php?topic=82963&forum=1&start=750&785

Zinger314
May 22, 2005, 02:22 PM
Alright, got started playing.

However, the control scheme is a pain in the ass. Really. I can't target anything!

I'll just install my spare controller, then try to buy a control pad similar to the Xbox...

Kory
May 22, 2005, 05:09 PM
If it is more fun, then it is worth it. Comparing volume of content is only useful to a point; if you don't enjoy the gameplay, having lots of different monsters won't make you like it much more. I think a lot of PSO's appeal lies in the vaguely arcade-ish gameplay. Also, the character development is much more in-depth than in most of the games you mentioned.

For my part, I'll play for a month or two into retail at the very *least.* World of Warcraft is fun too. =)

HiroX
May 22, 2005, 05:12 PM
On 2005-05-22 12:22, Zinger314 wrote:
Alright, got started playing.

However, the control scheme is a pain in the ass. Really. I can't target anything!

I'll just install my spare controller, then try to buy a control pad similar to the Xbox...

Hey zinger, long time no see.

Look on eBay, they probably have Xbox-to-PC converter cables. I got one of them coming in the mail, so I know they exist.

SLyNKee
May 22, 2005, 09:19 PM
Ive played FFXI for a while, and played a little WoW but im absolutly in love with pso:bb (have been in love with pso since v1 launch on Dreamcast). and I enjoy this game more than FFXI and WoW.

1 - I love the futuristic theme of it, and the real time battle

2 - but the most important thing is, say if you only have 20 mins before you gotta go to work or something, you can hop on join a game and play for your 20 mins, no waiting for parties heh plus when you have a busy schedule like myself, you can play PSO whenever and for however long you want.. wether its 5 mins or 5 hours..

Mixfortune
May 22, 2005, 09:38 PM
On 2005-05-22 10:46, Kef wrote:
PSO is not a MMORPG, and therefore pwns shit like WoW or GW.

But if you know the Xbox version, BB is exactly the same game, up to you, like Saiff said, "if you still find it fun", otherwise...

PSO may not be an MMORPG, but that doesn't mean it "pwns shit like WoW or GW".

Especially since, you know, Guild Wars is as much of an MMORPG as PSO is... which is basically at the level of "not an MMORPG at all".

Now, as for PSO/GW being compared to WoW and such, well, they're different types. Not really comparable. However, it doesn't make ANY of them shit. Especially not the reasons you gave, but eh.

To the original poster, see if you can find ways to try them out ahead of time. BB is of course the easiest to try out... a free beta taking place that is rather easily downloaded. WoW is a bit more difficult, but still doable. If you know someone who has a copy, they should have been given a free trial code that is used to allow their friends to create an account to try out for a certain number of days. You'd need either their or someone else's disc to install the game, but you won't have to buy your own unless you want to continue past the trial.

As for Guild Wars... well... you're going to have to do the old "can I try it out on your account for a bit" routine.

Personally, I'm hesitant on paying for BB not because of Guild Wars or WoW (which we already play), but because of PSU. With PSU rather close now, I'm hesitant with paying to continue on BB for less than a year.

kazuma56
May 22, 2005, 10:13 PM
I'm with Mixfortune on this one, BB ATM isn't really worth it IMO, you get everything that's already available on GC and X-box, until ST releases Ep.4, which probably won't be until july or even septemeber... I say that it would be better to save your money for PSU if you need to upgrade your PC or buy a PS2 for it... I may go BB once ep.4 is released, but ATM, I don't see what so "good" about BB besides the fact you are not paying for it atm.

Rageous
May 23, 2005, 01:55 AM
i agree with SLyNKee, i played star wars galaxies for a year and when you play a game like that or WoW you have to devote massive amounts of time in them to get enjoyment. it takes sometimes like 30 mins to an hour to just get to the point where you can kill something with all the setting up needed...as most of the worthwhile enemies are hardly soloable without some sort of stat buff and large team.
in pso you can hop on join a party, as there are many to choose from, and get some SD and youre ready. or you can make a solo game and do a quick quest or forest run.
and for the hardcore gamers theres always ult seabed and tower as well as the new ep4 which seems to be pretty rough. and theres always cmode which is something that a vast majority of players never tap into.

i cant vouch for guild wars as ive never played it, but its free so it cant be too bad http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif. but for now pso is fun again and ill be playing it for a while. ive never seen this many people playing pso in a long, long time.

Tycho
May 23, 2005, 03:15 AM
On 2005-05-22 20:13, kazuma56 wrote:
I'm with Mixfortune on this one, BB ATM isn't really worth it IMO, you get everything that's already available on GC and X-box, until ST releases Ep.4, which probably won't be until july or even septemeber... I say that it would be better to save your money for PSU if you need to upgrade your PC or buy a PS2 for it... I may go BB once ep.4 is released, but ATM, I don't see what so "good" about BB besides the fact you are not paying for it atm.

Ehh. GC has a lot more content than BB US does at the moment, and the keyboard controls suck.
Still I think BB is worth it.

kazuma56
May 23, 2005, 07:37 PM
What I meant to say was everything BB has is already available in GC/X-Box PSO.

Ambrai
May 23, 2005, 11:17 PM
Well BB will have EP4 which the others do not. Let's not forget that your characters xfer over to live so you can have a head start on the game.