PDA

View Full Version : PSOBB: Leveling down - not a bug!

zimmk2vgc
May 23, 2005, 03:45 AM
I read somewhere that there is a bug in the game that causes you to level down. This is untrue.

I tought it was strange how you keep meseta and not lose or de equip your weapon.

I thought the game was being irratic, but no.

I died and I lost about 700 exp. I dont know how much you lose, whether it is a set amount per level or whether it has something to do with class/section/crap.

Now a real incentive to not die. I haven't tested this in Normal, only hard, it may only apply to hard. It would be great if someone could expand on this.

In light of this information, don't die and keep your level up!

zero12410
May 23, 2005, 03:50 AM
leveling down is a bug, when you die you're only suposed to lose exp, but not be able to level down, it's in the game's manual

zimmk2vgc
May 23, 2005, 03:52 AM
What's the point in losing exp if to not level down?

Mixfortune
May 23, 2005, 04:50 AM
On 2005-05-23 01:52, zimmk2vgc wrote:
What's the point in losing exp if to not level down?

To make it harder to level to the next level, maybe?

Kory
May 23, 2005, 04:57 AM
So once you reach level 200, there is effectively no death penalty?

Mixfortune
May 23, 2005, 06:13 AM
On 2005-05-23 02:57, Kory wrote:
So once you reach level 200, there is effectively no death penalty?

I'd think so.
Not like there should be anyways... the death penalties will be pure hell in the final levels. Being able to level down from 200 to 199 would be... well... stupid.

trypticon
May 23, 2005, 09:44 AM
Yet another reason not to switch to Blue Burst.

rena-ko
May 23, 2005, 11:07 AM
hm, what i remember is that the ammount of exp you lose when you die (without getting revived by a doll / your mag) gets randomized out of a set of presets when you load an area.

for ult it is... 4k, 8k and 16k i think.
or something like that. you get the idea i'd say.

watashiwa
May 23, 2005, 11:10 AM
On 2005-05-23 09:07, rena-ko wrote:
for ult it is... 4k, 8k and 16k i think.

That's a very very very very very small amount of experience to lose for Ultimate mode. You can probably gain that from a few of rooms of Heat Sword.

Or just doing a quick mini-TTF, killing the Dragon and De Rol Le on VH (skipping over all enemies using the minimum method), and be back in business.

I don't think the exp loss is that severe. I guess it's to sway people from going into areas they're not prepared for or being power leveled by high level people.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: watashiwa on 2005-05-23 09:12 ]</font>

Nai_Calus
May 23, 2005, 11:29 AM
I think it was eventually figured out that it was a percentage of the exp you'd gained since your last level-up, but nobody ever really seemed to have the exact answer. It's probably in one of the guide books or something. Personally I never cared enough to bother figuring it out or testing it.

And I've heard of people losing 50k+ on a death near level at higher levels, and have myself lost in the neighbourhood of 20k to a single death, so 16k is nowhere near the max losable.

But it is indeed another thing that annoys me in BB. I'd rather lose my meseta than exp. Especially since meseta is piss easy to get and eventually nearly useless unless you're a huge fan of Charge... Even FOs don't need to worry about it much. Usually you can get someone to buy fluids for you if it's that bad. >_>

Also, not being able to lose your meseta eventually gets annoying, as you run around with 999999 in the bank and 999999 on you and start giving it away to be rid of it... XP

At least you no longer even unequip your weapon. Which honestly makes things almost too easy... Don't even have to bother with worrying about THAT.

Sitka
May 23, 2005, 11:33 AM
It's going to make doing PW4 ... uh ... not worth it?

Unless you're level 200 of course http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

watashiwa
May 23, 2005, 11:34 AM
It'll stop some people who get power leveled from TTF runs when they're underleveled too.

(Example: A level 40 going to VH TTF with their high level friends, but dying repeatedly to Falz. Same for Ultimate..)

Certainly you could still be power leveled via TTF, when they add it, provided you had enough HP units to get up to 451+ HP for VH. So, uh, I guess I don't have a point.

Haha, megid in PW4 will suck, though. Just like Sitka said.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: watashiwa on 2005-05-23 09:36 ]</font>

Sitka
May 23, 2005, 11:43 AM
Not just the Megid....

Mericols...

Merikles...

Ill Gils ...

Vol Opt x 4 with Gi-Gues....

Just when I thought I had gotten over those nightmares...

GIB ETERNAL BLESSING!!!

Nai_Calus
May 23, 2005, 12:50 PM
Heh, depends on class, though. My FOmar Zero still dies all the time to Dark Falz's Rabarta on the second form in Ult, and he's L147. XD;;;

...Part of that might be the fact that I keep wearing my Resta Merge for Falz, though. XP Really shouldn't do that, screw the HU/RA leeches. XP

watashiwa
May 23, 2005, 01:06 PM
On 2005-05-23 10:50, Ian-KunX wrote:
Heh, depends on class, though. My FOmar Zero still dies all the time to Dark Falz's Rabarta on the second form in Ult, and he's L147. XD;;;

4 Resist/Blizzards are all you need. =x I also put in an Attribute Wall there as well. Don't need anything else but 813 HP and the Resists for Ult Falz. Once you have that, you (EIC 90) > him.

His Rabarta won't freeze you nor really do any damage to you at all. You'll take at the most 20-40 HP of damage or so. I forget the exact number.

Mixfortune
May 23, 2005, 05:16 PM
Yeah, the exp penalty can suck, but they probably tried to balance it a bit with the increased exp gain from EP2, and whatever exp you get from EP4.

For now I'll play as if it were based on the amount of exp you gained in that single level (so the closer you are to levelling the more you lose)... not saying that's how it is like, but I'll play it that way... so, in the higher levels I'd probably play more difficult areas such as Towers and areas of EP4 (depending on their difficulty) earlier in the level for the higher exp, then as I get closer to levelling, go to "safer" areas like Mines and Ruins. Eh.

Sitka
May 23, 2005, 05:25 PM
It's going to make Devil Resists, Light Relief and Delsaber's Shield a lot more appealing http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Saffran
May 23, 2005, 06:37 PM
I've lost up to 190k at level 158, a few ennemies before leveling up. It represents more or less one third of the Exp I had won on this level.

Megid isn't the problem of PW4. Mericarols and Epsilon are. But still, PW4 is indeed not here for leveling.

Nai_Calus
May 23, 2005, 08:16 PM
Do you know how ridiculous it is to say you'll let how close you are to level influence where you play?

Or for that matter, realize that it's ludicrous that such a situation even exists? Sure, it was like that on the MUD I used to play, but you never lost THAT freaking much, and levels weren't swarming with cheap-ass 'difficult' OHKOs. XP

Though the point of East Tower/West Tower/Phantasmal World 4 was never to level in the first place... >_> *strokes Zero's Soul Banish, yes, my precioussss*

Personally I chose not to give a shit and did whatever. If I died, sure it was annoying, but oh fucking well. Life's a bitch. Just means more Heat Sword.

Don't let ST's stupidity influence your playing. X_x;

MT7218
May 23, 2005, 10:35 PM
Also, if you get annoyed by it, dying STILL takes %5 sync off your mag on top of the EXP loss. Sure, it may be a few moons/dimates/whatever off, but it can be very annoying as well.

Mixfortune
May 24, 2005, 06:46 AM
On 2005-05-23 18:16, Ian-KunX wrote:
Do you know how ridiculous it is to say you'll let how close you are to level influence where you play?

Or for that matter, realize that it's ludicrous that such a situation even exists? Sure, it was like that on the MUD I used to play, but you never lost THAT freaking much, and levels weren't swarming with cheap-ass 'difficult' OHKOs. XP

Though the point of East Tower/West Tower/Phantasmal World 4 was never to level in the first place... >_> *strokes Zero's Soul Banish, yes, my precioussss*

Personally I chose not to give a shit and did whatever. If I died, sure it was annoying, but oh fucking well. Life's a bitch. Just means more Heat Sword.

Don't let ST's stupidity influence your playing. X_x;

It was more of a "be more careful the closer to get to levelling" statement.
It wasn't that I was saying I'd never do harder areas when getting closer to level, I was just speaking from a pure levelling point of view. Of course if I want to hunt something or do a certain quest, I'll do it. Don't misunderstand me.

But if what I want to do is LEVEL, well, it's just another consideration to take into account with deciding where to play, other than just the "where can I get the fastest exp" argument.

Again, don't misunderstand me. It was more along the lines of a guideline/consideration, rather than a personal rule. <_<

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mixfortune on 2005-05-24 04:46 ]</font>